Where are the zombie RPG's?

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By samcotts

A Fallout 3/STALKER style open world modern day zombie game would be awesome, right? Imagine it, the setting being a major American industrial city, you completing missions for your own survival while helping others along the way, with the ultimate goal of getting out of the quarantined city/finding some sort of cure. There would be many settlements in apartment blocks, churches, sky scrappers, mall's, you name it, the trouble would come from getting form place to place. There could be factions fighting against one another for the little remaining food and resources, and you as the hero character will need to decide to either side with a faction, be a lone wanderer or try to help settle the rivalry. There would be many, many empty buildings to be explored, much looting to be done and many people to trade with as you fight your way through zombies.

Just a few ideas, I think there is a huge gap in the market for something like this. I expect half of you to respond with "no more zombie games" being the Jeff/Giantbomb crew worshippers you are. Is there anyone else interested in this sort of game?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

There is a mod for Fallout 3 that does exactly this, actually. It is very cool.

liiiiiiink

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AaronAlex

A full fledged Zombie RPG would be really cool, i wonder if it could even work in a MMO setting. 
Survivors all working together online, building safehouses, gathering supplies etc. Even have the possibility of turning into a Zombie bringing a PVP aspect to it, haha. 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think it could be pretty easily done with existing engines.  I sorta wished they'd have a zombie mode for GTA, so I know that there are some genres that don't quite push that old geek button often enough.  I'd like to do an old-school, party-based kind of survival horror RPG like that, but I guess my programming needs a little work before that happens :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Well...theres the Dr Ned DLC for Borderlands if that counts =P
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust
The Secret World MMO will have zombies in it among many other bump-in-the-night creatures.  It's supposed to come out this year, although I'm not convinced that will actually happen.  There was a decent interview with the developer over in Gamasutra this past month that is a good read if you are interested in the game and another over on IGN from last week.  The Gamasutra one was more about making the game and the IGN one was about what is in the game.  Anyway...zombies in there.
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By endaround
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By RagingLion

I've definitely heard of exactly that in the pipeline.  I can't remember if it was the DoubleBear productions that 'endaround' mentions or someone else - I think the lead designer was supposed to be someone of repute but I can't remember any more details that that.

I think it could definitely be a really cool idea.  Incorporate a more linear (though perhaps adaptable) storyline to it though I don't know if you'd set it all in one large sandbox environment ala GTA, Far Cry 2 or if the levels themselves would be somewhat linear including progression from from setting to the next.  I'm trying to work out what I want different to L4D since that definitely has a lot of those great elements, but I think it's the stronger storyline and the greater freedom and choice in moving about that the world that would give it a very different feel.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeust

There are zombie rpgs like: 

• Parasite Eve 1
  • Parasite Eve 2
  • Kodelka

And mmos like: 

• Dead Frontier
  • Dead Awaken

Mostly browser based games, but also some fulll fledge games
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By DCFGS3

I agree that there's a definite market for this, and would love something like this. Maybe a cool mechanic would be perhaps a bit of the old stealth idea too, where if you kill excesses of zombie and are 'loud' about it, then more come, eventually becoming a hoard. That would a cool idea as most zombies would be in the streets below the skyscrapers, and you could have rundown bridges running between buildings so you don't always have to go through the streets. Fuck I want a game like that.

Avatar image for strikerthelizard
StrikerTheLizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StrikerTheLizard

Zombie Shooter 2 is very close to a Diablo-like RPG. 

http://www.sigma-team.net/
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Jeust:  How is Parasite Eve a zombie game?
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure

I've been going through Wolfenstein RPG right now and man reading your post OP I got to thinking: Left 4 Dead RPG made in the same style as the Doom and Wolfenstein RPGs.... I would totally play that.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" @Jeust:  How is Parasite Eve a zombie game? "
It has at least monster that appear zombies. lol
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

There's a zombie apocalypse-related MMO in the works that hasn't been formally announced yet.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would love a game like that.  I want a game like that but with real modern weapons (having real weapons helps with immersion for me).  Fallout has too much nothing in its world because its a wasteland.  Having a huge GTA style city with a lot of places you can go in (for the places you can't, the excuse can be because its barricaded shut with boards over the doors and windows, so it makes more sense than just not being able to go in a hardware store in GTA) and have Zombie infested buildings with low lighting and great atmosphere.  I would totally buy this.

@Zenaxzd said:

" I've been going through Wolfenstein RPG right now and man reading your post OP I got to thinking: Left 4 Dead RPG made in the same style as the Doom and Wolfenstein RPGs.... I would totally play that. "

Yeah, L4D RPG with an open world city would be amazing.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Island is the closest thing and it totally sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There is literally a Fallout inspired zombie RPG out today. Fuck me.

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe a Zombie MMORPG, in which you ARE a zombie and fight off whats left of humanity o_O ?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

The time for this has come and gone. I don't want another zombie game.

Though, when this thread was made I would have loved the idea.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or the dinosaur RPG's...

Just imagine...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

Fast forward three years and they're everywhere. I blame OP.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

@ravenlight said:

Fast forward three years and they're everywhere. I blame OP.

Not really. There've been a couple but nothing like what the poster really wanted to see. Left 4 Dead and Walking Dead: Surivial Instinct or whatever that piece of shit is called aren't really what they were talking about. Imagine Fallout that took place in the Walking Dead universe where you had to struggle to get around and avoid attracting attention from the shambling hoards. I can't really think of anything like that. Dead Island is as close as it gets. Day Z isn't an RPG and is mostly empty and the zombies are just annoying more than anything, it's really about interacting with humans. Inside of a janky as fuck engine.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By audiosnow

I had quite a bit of fun with Dead Island, but I'm a sucker for loot. Basically, Brad and I agree completely regarding DI's strengths and weaknesses. It's about as close as you'll find, I think.

If you play it, for God's sake, turn on Analog Combat. Dead Island is kind of a two or three trick pony, but Trick One is Analog Combat, and it's an excellent trick.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread is ancient.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The time for this has come and gone. I don't want another zombie game.

Though, when this thread was made I would have loved the idea.

You already wrote down what I was going to say and you did a better job than I would have.

As a side note. Has anyone else noticed a wave of bots ressurecting dead threads with mostly-related content on this site? Man are bots becoming trickier and more efficient now.

netikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By netikan

I don't see why my post was deleted, but never mind.
I'll pretend it didn't happen.