#1 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

I've looked all over the show for videos of Bayonetta's frame rate drops on the PS3. Ryan said... "crippling performance issues" and "dropping frames and bogging down at an almost constant rate". Those sentiments have been echoed by many other reviewers, the most hard hitting verdict I've heard has been from Ryan Clements of IGN. But on every video I've seen on YouTube - videos that apparently don't come from the earlier demo - I see nothing that sounds as bad as what the reviewers are saying. The cutscenes visibly run at 30FPS, but the gameplay seems smooth, upwards of 45FPS, and I haven't seen any clips with frame rate drops.
 
Obviously there's a consensus, so I'm wondering if there are any videos online that show the issues that the PS3 has. Maybe the guys can do a PS3 quick look or something. I'm going to go out and get a 360 soon anyway, but from what I've seen, the PS3 version doesn't look all doom and gloom to me, and I kinda want to play the game now. Is there any evidence out there right now that somebody can point me to?

#2 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

I'm relatively sure the quick look they did of the demo was the PS3 version. That aside, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if several reviews have made note of these problems... They probably exist.

#3 Edited by vinsanity09 (211 posts) -

I know that Gametrailers made a comparison video, I didn't watch it so I don't know if you'll find the answers that you're looking for 
 
 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/console-comparison-bayonetta/60561
 
(sorry, I don't know how to put this as a link)

#4 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
#5 Posted by JiuJitsuka85 (377 posts) -

I think it was shown on the gametrailers.com review. It looked bad.

#6 Posted by Icemael (6326 posts) -

I think the reviews are evidence enough. GiantBomb, IGN, Famitsu, Gamespot, 1up, all of them gave the PS3 version lower scores. I don't know where you can find video proof online, but if you have a friend with a 360, see if you can play that version of the demo a bunch of times. Then play the PS3 demo. You're going to notice a huge difference.
 
I had played the 360 demo countless times when I tried the PS3 one, and it was nigh unplayable. The first thing I noticed was the difference in color; when I saw the title screen, I couldn't help but wonder if there was something wrong with my TV. The 360 version's colors were really vibrant, while the PS3 version looked gray and lifeless. Then I started playing, and realized that it wasn't my TV. It was the game. It was riddled with technical problems -- hell, I took damage several times just because of the stuttering framerate. 
 
Maybe I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't played the 360 version. I don't know. All I know is that I could never, ever play the game on PS3.

#7 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

I tried out the demo. Even the cutscenes on the engine don't ran smooth enough, and that's plainly annoying. While in normal combat it's ok, when you use a flashy move it just stutters, and this basicly kills the game, because that split second actually matters.

#8 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" Try this. Look up PS3's version at 2:26. You'll see some frame rate issues that looks well... not very 30 fps. *shrugs*
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti5duJEr2z4 "
Okay, thanks. That was basically what I was looking for. They had the whole thing going - frame rate, screen tearing. It even looked a bit muddy, but that might have just been the flash video.
 
Does this stuff bother people? Like, for me, unless it makes the game completely unplayable, frame rate drops like those in that video is probably not enough to put me off. Not to sound ignorant, but I would probably be called a hardcore gamer (my apologies) by marketing types, and, you know, I play a lot of games. But in general those glitches, while unfortunate, just don't bother me all that much. Even GRAW 2, when it had major slowdowns sometimes, never really made me put the game away in disgust. I'd just think that's a pity that it's unpolished but I'd never actually feel bad about the game as a result. I don't know, maybe it's just me. If a game's good, a game's good. I played a whole lot of MVP Baseball for the PSP in 2005, and that game ran at a steady 15FPS whenever it went out to the field. *shrugs*
 
Five second load times waiting for the pause menu when you press start does sound egregious, though.
#9 Posted by Icemael (6326 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"Does this stuff bother people? Like, for me, unless it makes the game completely unplayable, frame rate drops like those in that video is probably not enough to put me off. Not to sound ignorant, but I would probably be called a hardcore gamer (my apologies) by marketing types, and, you know, I play a lot of games. But in general those glitches, while unfortunate, just don't bother me all that much."
The thing with Bayonetta is that it's the kind of fast-paced, precise action game where framerate actually affects gameplay.
#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Odd that Platinum Games didn't work on the PS3 version.

#11 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -
@Icemael said:
The thing with Bayonetta is that it's the kind of fast-paced, precise action game where framerate actually affects gameplay. "
Sure, and the action games I'm talking about with frame rate issues are fast paced as well. Not just GRAW. I mean, God of War had frame rate issues. Black, The Darkness... you could go on. Most games do; it seems almost unavoidable. Those things in general just do not bother me when I'm playing, unless it genuinely gets to the point where it's so bogged down that the game almost reaches a standstill.
#12 Posted by Icemael (6326 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Icemael said:
The thing with Bayonetta is that it's the kind of fast-paced, precise action game where framerate actually affects gameplay. "
Sure, and the action games I'm talking about with frame rate issues are fast paced as well. Not just GRAW. I mean, God of War had frame rate issues. Black, The Darkness... you could go on. Most games do; it seems almost unavoidable. Those things in general just do not bother me when I'm playing, unless it genuinely gets to the point where it's so bogged down that the game almost reaches a standstill. "
While GRAW, God of War, Black and The Darkness are relatively fast-paced games, they aren't nearly as frantic as Bayonetta. Add to that the fact that their technical issues weren't as serious, and... well, yeah.
#13 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Check out the Digital Foundry section on Eurogamer. They did a massive piece on it with comparison videos, stat trackers and all sorts. 
 
And yeah, that kind of analysis annoys me too. It's fair enough saying by the eye, "yo, it's not as good," but when people are zooming in to 800x and playing it in super slow motion, it gets ridiculous.
#14 Posted by Slippy (735 posts) -