• 63 results
#1 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

First of all, Giant Bomb is and always will be my number one resource for reviews. But, unfortunately due to their small size, they can't review EVERYTHING, and usually don't review many PC games. So I was wondering, what is your go-to site for reviews when there's not a Giant Bomb one, particularly for console games not reviewed by GB, or just for a second opinion? What about PC reviews?
I'm pretty sure this isn't against any rules, as the GB is pretty laid back about this kind of stuff. They're not really in danger of losing people to other site. 

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36077 posts) -

I really don't use reviews, since:

1. They very rarely apply to the games I'm playing, and
  2. I've found that I can rarely trust a review. The hell, gaming community? Final Fantasy XII gets a pass, but the next game is destroying all you love about the damn franchise?
#3 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

I don't go anywhere for reviews, in fact I don't read the reviews on here.  I do take advice on what to buy though, through the Bombcast and other podcasts out there during their segments where they talk about what games they've been playing.  To me that's a more "real" way of describing their experience with the game rather than a carefully worded review.

#4 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

I'm not crazy Giant Bomb's written reviews, I'll read them but if I'm really in doubt whether or not I should get a new release I listen to the Bombcast. They usually say more about it and the other guys ask good relevant questions most of the time. I go to Adventure Gamers and Just Adventure for my adventure games reviews; IGN for old games and stuff that isn't covered here (or If I feel like getting a second opinion); user reviews or recommendations for just about everything.

#5 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

i don't seek out other reviews online, i come to Giant Bomb and read their reviews, i also have subscriptions to Game Informer, PC Gamer, and OXM, so i absorb their opinions when nature calls 

not to mention other gaming podcasts may talk about games i am interested in or never considered, quick looks cover a lot of stuff as well, i am at a point now where actual review scores don't matter to me at all, i would rather see the game in action (quick looks) or listen to people talk about them on podcasts. i feel these two things have evolved the way we should be making decisions on game purchases more than an arbitrary score some 22 year old intern gives a game at game magazine x or corporate game website z
#6 Posted by RecSpec (3766 posts) -

I go to IGN for scores usually. 

It's always funny to compare the numbers.

#7 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I don't go to other places for reviews.  Hell, I sometimes don't care about Giant Bomb's reviews.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I check out IGN and Gamespots reviews

#9 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: 
You should check out Metacritic for the scores on Final Fantasy XIII. Its sitting at 83 with a crap load of positive reviews and only one negative (at least what is considered negative over there)  being Destuctiid's Jim Sterling so that invalidates that.

To answer the question though, I would say 1up. I still dig those guys.
#10 Edited by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Gametrailers, Gamespot and IGN for the most part, and of course Giant Bomb, but i'll also watch second part reviewers from sites like Blistered Thumbs. But the review doesn't affect my purchase much though. If i like the game or the game' ideas, ill buy it.

#11 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I've trusted PC Gamer for years, they're one of the few great print gaming magazines left.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36077 posts) -
@Sasran: 

Really? Given Brad's three-star score, his disapproval of it in the Day 4 Bombcast, and the fact that everybody I've heard from fucking hates the game, I just assumed that people didn't really like the game that much. However, that does not excuse the gaming community from loving FF12, the Ouroboros of Final Fantasy's.
#13 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" I've trusted PC Gamer for years, they're one of the few great print gaming magazines left. "
I agree. They're one of the only "larger" companies that doesn't look like they are simply selling ad space. That's why I tend to stray away from the big corporations, a la IGN and Gamespot. I prefer the smaller sites, as it seems their opinions aren't influenced as much by the cash of the publishers. 

I just found videogamer.com and it seems it fits that criteria very well, and the fact that Heavy Rain got GOTY there makes me feel like they don't just go with the grain.
#14 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: 
I tend to not listen to what the staff have to say about Japanese games, it doesn't seem like their wheelhouse. They are still fun to listen to and I love them but when it comes to Japanese games its best to move along. Also if it makes you feel any better add me to the list of people who liked FFXIII.
#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36077 posts) -
@Sasran: 

So it's me, Hailinel, you, and about two other people. Given the 83 score on Metacritic, I'm guessing it's a case of a loud minority. (I couldn't find an actual Wikipedia article for that, so apologies if that inevitably sounds racist.)
#16 Edited by SuperBuster (175 posts) -

I like Game Informer. In fact, with their extensive preview section I usually know what games I'm going to buy before they come out. I don't hate Giant Bomb, it's just that I agree with Game Informer's reviews more.

When all else fails I go to metacritic.

#17 Posted by Okari (167 posts) -

It used to be Joystiq, but for the past few months they've just been hiring freelancers to do reviews. I don't know what some random freelancers taste in games is and if I resonate with them, without that the review is completely useless to me.  

What I do now is just look for impressions on gaming podcasts and twitter.

#18 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I rarely ever read reviews to help me decide whether or not to buy a game so most of the time I read review mainly for entertainment/informative purposes. To that extent, I prefer Eurogamer, as well as Destructoid reviews.

#19 Posted by bybeach (4730 posts) -

I cast around. I do look for site recongnition, and I avoid the single platform enthusiast sites, in terms of both High and low scores. Additionally for low scores I will check a site that I am less familair with, and see if the review is intelligently or say, emotionally written. Snarky remarks do not cut it, though ocassionally they can add humor to something already established, but I am mindful. 

This is my approach, because if I am reading other reviews than here, it is because I am most likely uncirtain about something.
#20 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Joystiq, Giant Bomb, Cheap Ass Gamer and that's pretty much it. I tend to read a lot of impressions from people with early copies of a game about to come out over on NeoGAF.

#21 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Destructoid I like

#22 Posted by raiz265 (2234 posts) -

Don't really care about reviews most of the time...  
Sometimes I skim through metacritic, but that's it.

#23 Posted by Romination (2776 posts) -

This is definitely a weird answer, but I find myself agreeing with GamesRadar's reviews.

#24 Posted by NarcolepticBat (410 posts) -

I enjoy 1up's style alot better than giantbomb. They acknowledge the subjective nature of reviews in general and they have some very talented writers. I can't stand gamestop or ign.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I don't care about any site's official review. Whether it be Giant Bomb or somewhere else.

#26 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I only go to gamerankings and nothing else. Once I know the score, I know if it's a rental, a purchase, or wait until later on ect. I then watch some video reviews from various sites, however I have to know the average first. The opinions are only for knowing the flaws I might encounter.

#27 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

NeoGAF threads, they tend to give a solid non-bias opinion.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

My brain. Games are still simple enough that you can tell what it will most likely be like for the entire time based on a trailer or two. Beside that though, I have yet to meet a reviewer who has the same taste in games that I do, so I honestly don't care what any of them think about any game.

#29 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Other people, then the "Reception" section of the game's Wikipedia page for a nice summary.

#30 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -

Jim Sterling. He speaks the truth.

#31 Posted by l4wd0g (1912 posts) -

I love GiantBomb for the videos, awesome community, and incredible podcast. I use the Quick Looks to judge if I want a game.  The reviews are pretty good, but some of the games I have really enjoyed they just didn't seem to care about, which I understand. There are just too many games and so much great content  produced for the site to review a lot games.  

As for other sites...

• Games Radar - Very funny, and they love games. The Super Review is nice because they don't follow a set formula much like Giant Bomb.
  • Video Game Trailers - They have some of the best video reviews
  • IGN - Colin Moriarty, and Arthur Gies.  I enjoy them anyway. Gies is brutal and he gets a lot of crap for it. There are also people at IGN who are awful. Grammar IGN, learn it!
  • 1UP - Pretty insightful, but almost too intellectual.   They' were pretty hard on games. However, I don't read them regularly anymore.

I personally think written reviews are going the way of the buffalo, and are being replaced with podcast and Quick Looks. I mean, there will always be written reviews and a numerical score attached, but gamers (people who educate themselves on the industry) are relying more and more on other methods for their purchasing decisions. 

Do i trust this 8.5 score by IGN and an inarticulate review that follows a formula or do I trust Vinny when he says the game is great and list his reasons why. 
#32 Posted by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -

...brace for firestorm...
I generally go with the Gamespot reviews, or the Metacritic score. In general, Gamespot has always rated games lower than other sites, and as such if they give a game a high score, I know it's really, really good.

#33 Posted by l4wd0g (1912 posts) -
@DonPixel said:

"  Destructoid I like "

Jim Sterling is pretty good. 
#34 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Giant Bomb and Gametrailers are basically it. I usually know what videogames I'm going to be getting anyhow.

#35 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

ign for the most part. I listen to the cheapass gamer podcast and they do quick little blurbs about games they liked and didnt like. I glance at gamespot now and again, but ive lost interest in most their journalism. Its just more of the same

#36 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I only use GB, but never read much except see the number of stars,
In the end I like to decide for myself if I'm interested in a game or not, even bad recived games can be alot of fun

#37 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

If I'm still unsure after Giant Bomb's review, I will usually check out Game Trailers.

#38 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Gametrailers mostly. I'll check out other big-name sites but I don't really hold their so called opinions in high regard. 

#39 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -
#40 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:
" @DonPixel said:

"  Destructoid I like "

Jim Sterling is pretty good.  "

That fatty is lovely, some kind of Obesse DrHouse of video games. Seriusly speaking I like he's choice for reviews he seems to be honestly interested in the underdog not so popular games like Majin and the forsaken kingdom .. he gives the spotlight to low profile games that worth it. 
#41 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Gamespot mostly.

And sometimes Gamesradar and Gametrailers.

#42 Posted by InfiniteStateMachine (215 posts) -

not really a fan of GB's reviews or any other publication. They usually don't agree with my playing style.

#43 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Games Radar. And if a game gets wildly mixed reviews, Metacritic just to see if the more well known sites liked it or not.

#44 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

Despite their incredibly dubious nature (now) Gamespot is still relatively "ok".  They at least tend to review everything that came out, or a larger majority, than most sites.  I also used to like IGN, but ever since their re-design, I can't even view their page in Firefox, and have it scroll correctly.  Kotaku's new reviews are completely pointless.  And Joystiq only tends to review the bigger-type stuff. 

#45 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i go to gamespot and IGN for reviews from a different site. it is what i usually do with every game. After i look at the reviews i average them out and see kind of expect what with number wise.

#46 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Metacritic

#47 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

RPGamer tends to be my go-to site for written reviews. :D

#48 Posted by bartok (2430 posts) -

I go to the individual game publishers' website .  Who better to tell you whether a game is shit then the company that sells it ?    

#49 Posted by wormz (140 posts) -

Finnish mag called Pelit has been my number one reviewer since 93.

#50 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Sasran: 

So it's me, Hailinel, you, and about two other people. Given the 83 score on Metacritic, I'm guessing it's a case of a loud minority. (I couldn't find an actual Wikipedia article for that, so apologies if that inevitably sounds racist.) "
Make that 3 other people. I really liked FFXIII.