• 172 results
killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killr0y

I'm a bit disappointed w/ Giant Bomb's nearly complete lack of PAX Prime coverage. IGN and Gamespot both have a little coverage. Anyone know of any other sites or links for more coverage of stuff like Halo, Gears, Assassin's Creed, et?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

They've had stuff up in previous years so I think we'll be getting some PAX videos soon, but they probably haven't had the time to produce and upload anything so far because, well, they've been at PAX.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By killr0y

No live streaming, blogging or anything like that? :(

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Live streaming anything at PAX without really good equipment would be a nightmare. And from experience, I can tell you that spending all day walking the show floor doesn't leave enough energy to do much of anything afterwards.

They usually put up some stuff after the whole thing is over.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle

@killr0y: It seems you have the wrong impression of why Giant Bomb goes to PAX. Covering games there is the least of their concerns.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeeGee

Silly goose.

Why would they be putting out content to their website when they could be drinking and eating instead? You'd think they were running some sort of business or something crazy.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

PAX is usually a fan event for them. Its a chance to meet fans, and check out the smaller indie games. Your never going to to see giantbomb cover big titles like Halo and Assassin's Creed at PAX.

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Grimmy616

Yeah... why don't they, though?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Nubster

@Grimmy616 said:

Because they spend the day meeting fans and talking to people and filming, and then Drew and Vinny spend the night editing and putting everything together. And since they're only human, they need to sleep. The next day they do the same thing. This week, they'll put things up. GB doesn't have the luxury of having 15 editors to bang stuff out constantly; just two dudes.

And also they're constantly drunk.

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Grimmy616

As long as there is SOME coverage its fine I guess.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Undeadpool

@DeeGee said:

Silly goose. Why would they be putting out content to their website when they could be drinking and eating instead? You'd think they were running some sort of business or something crazy.

Yeah, it'd be much better if they were putting out sub-par also-ran content. Surely no one would complain then.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaLe

I find that PAX in general gets very little coverage compared to other gaming events. Probably because it's much more fan centric, as opposed to a PR circus like E3.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thomasnash

So in previous years has all the PAX content been going up the week after? the nightly podcasts and what have you?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Grimmy616 said:

Because 99% of stuff at PAX is rehashes from E3, and the 1% that isn't will be shown at a million other events in the near future.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dropabombonit

Patrick said in worth reading that they weren't going to PAX to cover games but hang out with fans. At least if they get the panel up, I will be happy

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By natetodamax

@thomasnash said:

So in previous years has all the PAX content been going up the week after? the nightly podcasts and what have you?

They don't do nightly podcasts during PAX, but yeah, it usually goes up the week after.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

Yah I don't want to incur the wrath of the GB forums - I'd just like to innocently know when that stuff might be going up, please? I was pretty psyched that I'd get to watch the Panel on Saturday but it didn't get uploaded, nor on Sunday and I'm just curious if it's going to be this week or??

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeeGee
@Undeadpool: Surely no one would. It's better than nothing.

Hey, here's a crazy idea, record a quick look or two before you jet off over the country to get drunk with people. Meeting fans is great and all, but I didn't subsribe for that. It can't be hard to shoot a few quick 15 minute videos to go up while they're at PAX.

It boggles me how people will find ways to defend some of things they do.
MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By MocBucket62

I guess the very fact that they're at PAX explains why they wouldn't post much or at all coverage lately. But come on, give us more than just the Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes trailer, even though that trailer rocks!

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Yeah I don't know of too many gaming sites that covers PAX events in detail, those events seem much more "grounded" than larger events such as E3 and Gamescom.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thomasnash

@Voxel: And there was me thinking I was following it all live...

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Gizmo

I think there were 4? Quick Looks in the entirety of last week. I'm really starting to think they must all have part-time jobs or something, it's getting ridiculous.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pr1mus

@Gizmo said:

I think there were 4? Quick Looks in the entirety of last week. I'm really starting to think they must all have part-time jobs or something, it's getting ridiculous.

They left for PAX on Thursday, they probably didn't pack their stuff on Thursday. There wasn't much less stuff then usual last week and they had 2 or 3 days to put it up before leaving.

Seriously people these complains are getting out of hand. To complain about the quality and quantity of stuff they put up during a regular 5 day week without any major events in the near future is fine. To complain they only put 5 quicklooks in at best 2 days to get things done before leaving for an event that takes place during the weekend is ridiculous. To complain that the stuff isn't up yet is even worst since they never work during the weekend anyway and PAX was during the weekend and to complain that stuff isn't up now that its Monday well for one thing at the time i'm writing this it's not even 8 AM on the west coast yet and its Labor Day.

There have been plenty of valid criticism in the last few months but not a single one in this thread is even remotely valid.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By greennoodles

Ok, in a 3 and a half day week last week they had 5 quick looks, a Jar Time, a mailbag and ILM. They left thursday night for PaX. Now I don't know where you are from, so I will just say that this is also a holiday weekend in America, so, considering they were at PaX doing panels and stuff (remember they were doing other peoples panels as well) I am sure they are taking the chance to rest a bit today. If you had gone to PaX, I am sure you would be talking about how hard these guys work to meet their fans and whatnot cause that is what they were dong this weekend. That on top of the fact that nothing came out last week. Now take a breath, calm yourself and go check out some archives.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ninjalegend

Duder, I'm Pax-ed out. Saw some live streams on twitch tv over the last 3 days. They had the main and krakken theaters covered all day. Lots of good panels and this funny ass live D&D game with Will Weaton. 2K showed this panel of ideas that did not make it to Xcom.............and that was not like even half of the shows and panels at Pax. I imagine they are pretty tired trying to see just some of that while hosting a panel and meeting fans. Maybe twitch has some archived video (I recommend the D&D panel) you can watch while you wait for the Bomb coverage. From what I've seen, I really wish I could have went this year.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By beepmachine

They should seriously just rename these forums to "Complaint Department"

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Canteu

We rarely get content on the weekends when they're in the office the previous week, so I don't see why you should expect content on a weekend when they're not in the office.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Bocam

@DeeGee said:

@Undeadpool: Surely no one would. It's better than nothing. Hey, here's a crazy idea, record a quick look or two before you jet off over the country to get drunk with people. Meeting fans is great and all, but I didn't subsribe for that. It can't be hard to shoot a few quick 15 minute videos to go up while they're at PAX. It boggles me how people will find ways to defend some of things they do.

Shut up, that would be the smart thing to do. We don't come here for smart.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sploder

I think they uploaded the PAX East panel earlier in the year on a Monday. So it might be up later.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bocam

@Sploder said:

I think they uploaded the PAX East panel earlier in the year on a Monday. So it might be up later.

Today's Labor Day in the US. They're not in the office.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By poisonmonkey

I thought that they may have put up some crazy stuff up (videos of the drinking afterwards etc..)

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It will come duder

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sploder
@Bocam said:

@Sploder said:

Today's Labor Day in the US. They're not in the office.

That's a shame. Tomorrow then.
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Impossibilium

Always amusing to see people trying to defend the lackluster content and generally hollow and fairly passionless shell that GB is now, compared to when it started.

If GB wanted to put up something from PAX they could easily. And there are plenty of things they could do with soundbites, fan interviews, random photos. Fun first, relevance second was how the site began, but it's not how it is now.

If you want to experience a sliver of the guerrilla-style content that the site used to be, then head over to Jeff's Twitch account where he broadcasts with his iPhone. It's rough, badly shot and random, but usually amusing and still contains personality.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrpandaman

@DeeGee said:

@Undeadpool: Surely no one would. It's better than nothing. Hey, here's a crazy idea, record a quick look or two before you jet off over the country to get drunk with people. Meeting fans is great and all, but I didn't subsribe for that. It can't be hard to shoot a few quick 15 minute videos to go up while they're at PAX. It boggles me how people will find ways to defend some of things they do.

They put up seven videos in the three days they were there last week, one of them was a Jar Time. Maybe people wouldn't complain if it was one video a day, because 5 of those videos (3 quick looks, 1 mailbag, 1 Jar Time) went up on Wednesday. Also, technically, you're not paying for quick looks as quick looks are not subscriber content.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Drazat

Hate to say it but content has not been upto a great level since the move.If you think it has you are wrong with CBS behind it this site should be doing a lot more i mean the Monday update is done with a handycam and no production values behind it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Gizmo said:

Not much has come out recently.  

Also Today is Labor day. Half the stuff in the U.S is closed. Not to mention not many places do super PAX coverage. 
Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slab64

@Impossibilium said:

Always amusing to see people trying to defend the lackluster content and generally hollow and fairly passionless shell that GB is now, compared to when it started.

Is it? I think this whole thread is an abortion.

Talk about games, or something.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta

@Drazat said:

Hate to say it but content has not been upto a great level since the move.If you think it has you are wrong with CBS behind it this site should be doing a lot more i mean the Monday update is done with a handycam and no production values behind it.

and... I like it that way? I hated the old style floating ryan head.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By greennoodles

I love when people talk about "when the first started" as if it was some magical, content rich time. Lets go back to Pax '08, the first year. http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-at-pax-2008/17-41/

There ya go, there is all that amazing Pax coverage we got. That and the panel. That video went up on a Thursday BTW. And the panel went up on Wednesday. I was here since the beginning and every year around this time people complain about content. EVERY YEAR. I am amazed that we have gotten the content we have considering the BS they are putting up with at CBS trying to get the right equipment and the redesign done and Jeff's meetings and whatnot.

Things will pick up, stop feeling entitled and enjoy the content we get. Maybe check out another site or 2 during the drought. I recommend Idlethumbs.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrpandaman

@Drazat said:

When the studio is properly finished, maybe ILM will go back to the way it was, and the current format of the ILM will just be behind-the-scenes types of video. The move and settling may just be taking longer than anyone suspected.

Also hopefully sometime soon, there will be another addition to the GB staff, maybe another video guy or another game coverage/reviewer/journalist or both. Still holding out hope that Rorie will one day be part of the GB crew instead of an honorary member.

Phantomvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Phantomvirus

I love that PAX '08 video. I got so excited seeing Rich Gallup now as I was back in '08 when that video first went up.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By greennoodles

@mrpandaman said:

@Drazat said:

When the studio is properly finished, maybe ILM will go back to the way it was, and the current format of the ILM will just be behind-the-scenes types of video. The move and settling may just be taking longer than anyone suspected.

Also hopefully sometime soon, there will be another addition to the GB staff, maybe another video guy or another game coverage/reviewer/journalist or both. Still holding out hope that Rorie will one day be part of the GB crew instead of an honorary member.

This. Jeff has said in Jar Time or Formspring or something that he needs at least 3 more people on staff to run the site the way he wants it. Over at Whiskey they could just use someone from another site, but here they have to tell them why they need to hire someone, get it approved, go through the process, find someone they like, then get them approved by CBS. This in the middle of fighting for equipment and all that. I am sure this isn't an easy transition but the alternative would be, you know, no Giantbomb at all.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gaff

So... This topic was created at 6AM Pacific Daylight Time, on a Monday, on what Wikipedia calls an American federal holiday.

I understand that the content lately has been a little sparse for some people, and that people have the right to air their grievances, but... Come on.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By killr0y

@Gaff said:

So... This topic was created at 6AM Pacific Daylight Time, on a Monday, on what Wikipedia calls an American federal holiday.

I understand that the content lately has been a little sparse for some people, and that people have the right to air their grievances, but... Come on.

What does this have to do with PAX starting 3 days ago and virtually no GB-created content added to the site? CBSi doesn't pay a bunch of dudes per diem just to hold a 2 hour chat session and get drunk... or do they?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jozzy

@Impossibilium said:

If GB wanted to put up something from PAX they could easily. And there are plenty of things they could do with soundbites, fan interviews, random photos. Fun first, relevance second was how the site began, but it's not how it is now.

I hate to say it because I still love Giantbomb to death, but I share your feeling somewhat. The passion and drive seems to be missing lately. Especially Jeff, which is understandable I guess because he seems to have a lot of personal turmoil in his life. I think the big life life show will be a good test to see if Giantbomb can still bring the magic. My sub runs out during that time to, I will base my decision to re-up on that show.

I feel it's a hard to defend that the best content that Giantbomb is producing lately is being made by the guys who do this as an aside to their full time job, Vinny, Drew and Dave.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bocam

@killr0y said:

@Gaff said:

What does this have to do with PAX starting 3 days ago and virtually no GB-created content added to the site? CBSi doesn't pay a bunch of dudes per diem just to hold a 2 hour chat session and get drunk... or do they?

They don't go to PAX to cover games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Animasta

@killr0y said:

@Gaff said:

well they don't work on saturdays or sundays, plus today is a federal holiday, so the only content adding day they missed out on was friday.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Drazat

@Bocam said:

@killr0y said:

@Gaff said:

They don't go to PAX to cover games.

It would appear so.