#1 Posted by Wyvernkeeper (2 posts) -

Hello all, long time user of the site and listener to the Bombcast here.. First time poster...

So..... I have been asked to write an article (not for this site) on the subject of video games. The angle I am looking at specifically is the emotions invoked by fictional locations to the game player. As an example, I played LOZ: Ocarina of Time when it first came out on the N64 (that gold cartridge was damn cool.) By the time I had completed that game I knew every inch of that incarnation of Hyrule and the feeling of jumping Epona over that broken bridge towards Gerudo Valley was so tangible it felt like jumping a real horse.

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences with other games. Goldeneye 007, (the N64 one) also had a similar effect. Chasing Alec across the bridged expanse of the Cradle - or riding that Tank through the Streets of St Petersburg. Granted, the locations in this game were inspired by real world (or at least cinematic) locations, but did that stop any of these places becoming real mapped locations within our minds, complete with a full sense of physical geography.

I have recently been replaying the excellent Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which I last played 20 years ago in the early 90's and was one of my first truly great gaming experiences. Replaying it, it amazes me how familiar I am with each location as it appears - places which unlike Hyrule field did not remain in my memory but as soon as I see them again - it all comes flooding back - with all the associated good feelings.

So all I am asking really is: Do any Bomb users or the illustrious founders of the site themselves have any experience with these kind of situations? What are peoples most viscerally experienced video game locations? What are peoples favourites? Is it better when it is a place based on the real world like GTA San Andreas or something entirely insane like Dark Souls? Have people had similiar experiences in genres that you might not expect (my friend once had a dream he was a Tetrimino) - or maybe in a Simcity or Civ game? Is this sense of being rooted in an unreal place something that tends to emerge from your earliest gaming experiences?

I would like to be able to quote any users who provide good anecdotes if this is ok. Once the article is complete I will post it here so all can take a look.

I hope this post is ok with the rules of the site. The publication this is for not a video games magazine so please don't think I am trying to poach any users or anything like that. Giantbomb is awesome and I will always be a fan. Keep up the great work, both those behind the scenes and the community too!

#2 Posted by Gard3 (25 posts) -

Personally, I thought the use of ambient music as you just got into a new environment in the old PSX Tomb Raider games was brilliant. Just frightening enough, just eerie enough, timing was perfect, and you didn't know when you would hit the point on the map that would trigger an AI attack.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

Lately it is Inaba, just love the hell out of that game and the town itself.

All time it would be Shadow Moses Island, returning to it in MGS4 was one of the best moments from the last gen.

#4 Posted by Peakborn (89 posts) -

I can easily say Sigil (aka The City of Door, The Birdcage) from Planescape: Torment, I've been in love with the place even since I'd learnt of it. The prospect of a place where there are infinite invisible portals to an infinite number of places that are revealed by an item, an action, a thought, a feeling, a sense or practically anything is particularly intriguing.

I'd add the principality of Gallia from Valkyria Chronicles, the watercolour design of the world made it idyllic even when caught in the middle of a war.

Inaba's also on that list, quite frankly it's a place I wish I'd never had to leave.

#5 Edited by BigJeffrey (5075 posts) -
Bright Falls a great take on the pacific northwest I wanna leave but gotta find those Thermoses
Inaba, i wish i could stay here forever.
Tatsumi Port Island like Inaba i could roam around here forever.

#6 Edited by Illuminosopher (334 posts) -

Animal Crossing(User created world), the episode of the Twilight Zone "A Stop at Willoughby" always comes to mind when asked why I like it.

End Narration of that episode : "Willoughby? Maybe it's wishful thinking nestled in a hidden part of a man's mind, or maybe it's the last stop in the vast design of things, or perhaps, for a man like Mr. Gart Williams, who climbed on a world that went by too fast, it's a place around the bend where he could jump off. Willoughby? Whatever it is, it comes with sunlight and serenity, and is a part of the Twilight Zone"

#7 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

If I had to say one? It would be the Vortex World from Shin Megami Tensei 3. Just fantastic all around (except for the subway tunnels)

#8 Posted by VoshiNova (1697 posts) -

Zora's Domain from OoT.

#9 Posted by Random45 (1233 posts) -

Can I say all of Azeroth? I know this is going to sound really lame, but that world was pretty much like a second home to me, and back when I played WoW for 7+ years, I pretty much knew every nook and cranny of the entire land. Having been there since launch, I was a HUGE wall-walking fan, and I remember having a blast going to the Ironforge Airport, Mount Hyjal, and just in general going to places that were incomplete and not textured in. I knew the vanilla world so well that I KNOW that I could map it out easily.

#10 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5798 posts) -

The other world in Ni No Kuni is a recent favorite of mine. That overworld music is just magical.

#11 Posted by HatKing (6023 posts) -

My favorite location for a video game?

Either on my bookshelf or in my console! Hahaha.... HAAHAHAHAHA..

Seriously though, I have very fond memories - or at very least, very strong memories - attached to the worlds of GTA Vice City, ESIII Morrowind, and Toy Commander, specifically. I'm not sure why exactly. I certainly spent plenty of time in each of these games. But there are plenty of other games that I spent as much or more time in that don't get me all wistful when I think of their landscapes. It might have something to do with when I played these games. I regularly use games as a means to escape the real world when things get a little too - real. Also, oddly enough, I get a stronger association from smell than anything. Maybe not oddly, because apparently smell is one of the senses most strongly attached to memory.

#12 Posted by johnbakosh (115 posts) -

There is some serious room for discussion about World of Warcraft here.

#13 Posted by Guesty_01 (369 posts) -

Hmmm let's see. I absolutly adore being in Tamriel and Skyrim from the Elder Scrolls series, so beautiful and majestical. Quite a few places in Wind Waker I love being, namely Dragons Roost, if only for that sweet music. Same goes for Okami, amazingly gorgeous visuals and music combined.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11987 posts) -

@animasta said:

If I had to say one? It would be the Vortex World from Shin Megami Tensei 3. Just fantastic all around (except for the subway tunnels)

Yep, this. The world in SMT3: Nocturne is just so weird and alien and different. I haven't seen many games pull off a feeling of dark isolation as well as Nocturne (though some have done it better), and I can't think of any games where a conclusion can be both as bleak and as awesome as Nocturne's True Demon ending.

But Skyrim is my favorite game of this generation and that's pretty much because of the location. The entire thing is so impressively laid-out and designed. Its atmosphere is brilliant and a lot of its vistas are astounding. It manages to be both dark and oppressive and still wonderful to soak in. Skyrim as a place just hits so many perfect notes for my tastes that I can't help but love it despite all of Skyrim the game's imperfections.

#15 Edited by TheMasterDS (2082 posts) -

Hmmm... Tough question. I might say... Hmmm... What first comes to mind is the Isle o' Hags and after a fashion Rogueport comes to mind... but I think the correct answer is Termina since it's a super grim land which you get to see not just in 3 dimensions but in 4 as you see it modeled in time more effectively and more believably than any other location in video games.

#16 Posted by PreWarOregon (23 posts) -

The Forbidden Lands in Shadow of the Colossus is still one of my favorite video game worlds to explore. I have yet to come across another game that gives me that sense of being alone in a massive world filled with literally larger than life creatures.

#17 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

In general I'm a big fan of the aesthetic of Japanese inspired European settings. Locales like the home world of Ni No Kuni, Gallia in the Valkyria Chronicles series and the locations from the Professor Layton games are all examples.

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

Plateia Lumitar in Vagrant Story

#19 Edited by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

Albion

Love everything the world Fable creates.

#20 Edited by afabs515 (1180 posts) -

Termina

#21 Edited by AMyggen (3324 posts) -

I have to say Morrowind. The whole world has such a unique feel and look, and the soundtrack really adds to that. The main theme, man, probably my favourite song from any game.

#22 Posted by shatted (65 posts) -

Black Mesa. I'm sure with more thought I could come up with a bunch more, but that one leaps to mind immediately. The first Half-Life was so profoundly influential in my gaming development and the amazing Black Mesa locations were a big reason why. Also, Raccoon City and Silent Hill through Playstations 1 and 2. And does space count? Cause, you know, Tie Fighter.

#23 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -

Probably Rapture. It is a combination of being hidden away beneath the sea, the beautiful art-deco stylings, the atmosphere and just that special thing that made me want to explore every last nook and cranny.

It is usually open worlds which resonate most for me because of the freedom one has to create your own pathways makes me feel more intimately connect so it is a credit to Rapture that I love it so much. I really think so much of it is due to it being under the sea. - it made me think of a giant womb - and they made it seem so real and gave the impression of so much more space to explore, with all the vistas of underwater cityscapes.

Its funny you mention Hyrule, because although I loved those worlds there was always something which felt slightly empty and a little bit cold about Hyrule of OOT and TP. Its hard to explain why it was but I would always get a feeling of acute melancholy after a while spent in those gameworlds - perhaps they just felt underpopulated, i'm not sure.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

Columbia would be a rad place to live if it wasn't for all the rampant xenophobia/racism then again what am I saying? That's just like america today! So hey sign me up I guess then.

#25 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3065 posts) -

Anywhere in Diablo 2. The Arcane Santuary in particular.

#26 Posted by Karmosin (218 posts) -

Alot of good places in the posts above, especially Inaba, the vortex world and Sigil but my favorite gotta be the citadel from mass effect. The presidium is so damn beautiful, the wards seem like a cool place to shop but most of all it's completed by all the interesting aliens that inhabit it. If I could go to any video-game location it would probably be it.

#27 Posted by hermes (1535 posts) -

The Citadel in Mass Effect... before everything went to shit in 1, of course...

#28 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

The Citadel from ME. My reasons are:

• space
  • aliens
  • I bet it has badass internet
#29 Edited by SlashDance (1827 posts) -

I think it might be Ivalice. I would totally buy a house in Bhujerba or Archades.

#30 Posted by DeadpanCakes (981 posts) -

Other people have already said Inaba, but that's definitely my top. There's something about watching the protagonist step off the train and settling to the fairly quiet environment along with the sort-of lackadaisical and aimless music that reminds me that, in life, there's value in the mundane.

Besides that, though, maybe Outset Island. Just absolutely beautiful and represents, to me, a place to catch my breath -- a sanctuary among the large and unpredictable world.

Lastly, both present day and 600 A.D. in Chrono Trigger, because the music compliments the color palettes so well in both those time periods to form a great atmosphere.

I find that I tend to really value starting towns, because they're always the least batshit crazy.

#31 Edited by postnothing (65 posts) -

As I was playing GTA 5, I came to realise that I actually prefer fantastical or historical settings over the mundane cities of series. In spite of being astonishingly detailed, I found myself leaning towards the plains of the Frontier in Red Dead Redemption or the rugged terrain in Skyrim.

I thought the settings of Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite invoked a sense of place that no other game has achieved -- a remarkable achievement art direction. I feel like I remember every level in both games, which is somewhat disappointing, since I always wish to replay them. The cities of Rapture and Columbia have to be one of the most realised settings in video games.

I also would like to throw in Omega from Mass Effect 2, since it hasn't been mentioned. I love how dark and twisted it was. I loved the Citadel in the first Mass Effect as well.

#32 Posted by Marcsman (3227 posts) -

The waste land in Fallout.

#33 Posted by JadeGL (912 posts) -

Rapture, which has already been mentioned, was what came to mind immediately.

I would also add Cyrodiil from Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. It was just such a shock. This was the first game I played on the 360 and it just blew me away. Yes, looking back on it now I can see it's rougher edges, the people look weird and the dungeons are repetitive, but when I was first playing it it was unlike anything that I had seen before.

Moderator Online
#34 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -
#35 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls world is definitely my favourite game setting in terms of lore and how big and authentic those game worlds feel when you are exploring them, and Oblivion is the game that I would say I found myself most absorbed in and felt a real connection to. It wasn't a game I played as a child - I was 17 when Oblivion came out - but just in terms of the sheer number of hours I put into that game, it burned a number of incredible memories and moments into my consciousness. I could probably still navigate myself through those cities without needing to look at any maps, knowing exactly where everything is, and I remember some of the most notable forts and where they are in Cyrodiil, and where some of the rarest and most valuable plants grow (I did so many hours of alchemy in Oblivion, just grinding feather potion after feather potion...).

#36 Posted by ZolRoyce (730 posts) -

Good luck with the article duder! Look forward to reading it when you post it here.

The first video game location I ever felt a connection with was Liberty City in GTA3, that game was the first open world game I had played and at first it seemed like way to much, I thought I would never get the hang of it and it would just be a confusing maze for forever, but after my first playthrough I knew the whole city by heart, and for me that was a big deal because I was the type of person who never knew where I was in my real life, I just followed everybody around wherever they were going, I would get lost super easy, so being able have this world, fictitious as it was, memorized, I was able to realize "hey, if I actually try and pay attention I can figure out where the hell I am in real life."

Besides that, most video game levels or worlds I connect with, tend to be due to some sort of nostalgic connection with it (Convoy on Unreal Tournament 2004) or something needs to have happened on even a very tiny emotional level, No Mercy on Left 4 Dead for instance, I have played that map again and again and again with multiple friends where it has gone beyond just being a fun map to being 'oh, this is that map where me and my friends had countless good times on.' So when I play it, I play it with some sort of emotional value attached to it.

#37 Posted by w1n5t0n (174 posts) -

Maybe not my all time favorite, but I really like the city in Mirror's Edge.

#38 Posted by Brundage (382 posts) -

#39 Posted by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the thread, but my favourite areas in games tends to be the snowy areas... I just really like playing snow areas.. I don't know why but I just do.

Phendrana Drifts(Metroid Prime), Mt Gagazet (FFX), Yule (Ni No Kuni), Inaba w/ Snow (P4G), Painted World of Ariamis (Dark Souls) among many others are just areas I really like because of the snow area. It's a weird thing I can't put my finger on - but I just like snowy areas in good games.

#40 Edited by Glottery (1321 posts) -

If not going into great detailing (leaving that for another post, maybe!), I could list several locations from the top of my head...

1. Alice - Madness Returns. First Alice had some wonderful locations as well, but it has aged quite a bit by now (though there's still something that I love with most of those locations having a black skybox.) Madness Returns offered both creepy and fantastic locations, this one being a good example of the latter ones. One of those times when I just wanted to yank my character off the rails the developers wanted me to stay on and go explore that place (I want to see that friggin moon from up-close!).

2. Grim Fandango. Too many locations to list here as well and it was also difficult to pick a single screen from an adventure game. While I would love the idea of Telltale making an episodic game of Grim Fandango where you'd get to explore all those locations you missed in the main game, I think I prefer the fact that most of those places will stay out of my sight forever. I can always just dream about seeing that cat race on the stadium, the parade going on next to your workplace in the beginning, not to mention the whole city you're in, the absurd looking world of the living, the tunnel where Number 9 goes in...*sigh*

3. Half-Life 1&2 with Portal 2 would once again require way too many pictures to list everything I like. Already the arrival to Black Mesa was mindblowing back then. It wasn't amazing graphically even back then, but the amount of detailing put into it made the place really feel like a massive facility. City 17 in HL2 also impressed me greatly, even if I would've wanted to explore that place so much more than I was allowed. The second most memorable piece is Black Mesa East, which...I don't know, I'm not sure how I'd descripe it. It just felt so good to arrive there. It's that Valve Magic Touch, which also made those old abandoned Aperture laboratories the best part of Portal 2.

4. Outcast. Can't find any good pictures and don't have it installed on my PC at the moment. Anyway, that game probably was the first sandboxy game I ever played and that fact alone made it stick to my memory permanently. But if we'd have to point out specific locations, Talanzaar would be on the top of that list. All those NPCs, the crowd noises, music...for a game as old as it was, it felt incredibly well-made.

5. Hmh...bunch of 90's games? Not sure how to descripe this either. Guess those made a better impression on me due to my younger age. Thief 1&2 with their dark-ish levels were really great.

Think that's my flow of thought for now. Will possibly make that other post later on, we'll see!

P.S. Since I mentioned Outcast, I have to post this.

#41 Edited by Jeust (10738 posts) -

With the videos compounding the mini-series Bright Falls,

the games Alan Wake and Alan Wake American Nightmare, the book, that came with the special edition in the Xbox and the PC version, Alan Wake Files and the comics Night Springs and Psycho Thriller, the world of Alan Wake is in my opinion the most beautifully realized I've ever experienced.

A shout also to Planescape Torment, for it's increadible story, background, lore and characters. It is to me almost as good, only losing by the fact that its world is contained in one single game. But it is amazing! That might change with Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Nier is also a strong contender with its comics made by Dark Horse, the game and the Grimoire Nier compendium. That universe is breathless in its scope, creative, surprising in its twists and sensible in its portraying of human emotion.

Other great video game location for me is the one in Lost Odyssey, made so, more by the poignant dream sequences than by the game itself, although it had some cool and unexpected twists.

#42 Posted by Wyvernkeeper (2 posts) -

Thank you all so much, theres some interesting stuff here but please feel free to keep adding.. Its a nice subject for a thread anyway. Its interesting to see some of the things that have been mentioned. I did not expect so many people to mention Skyrim, I thought it was a fantastic game but it was so big... Almost too big in a way.. I loved it, but burnt myself up doing far too much side stuff that in the end made the story lose a bit of momentum for me.ough

Somewhat late to the game I'm playing Bioshock Infinite at the moment.. I totally get why people have mentioned Columbia and of course Rapture too. Its great to see others that I hadn't even considered. Great shout to those who mentioned Grim Fandango - very true. Red Dead too, a game where I was perfectly happy just to travel between locations - watching the world unfold without even having to take a mission.

Azeroth too is an interesting one. I have never played WOW but was an avid fan of Warcraft II and enjoyed III reasonably enough, but something about that musical theme in II playing as the story text scrolled up the side of the screen before each mission was fantastic. Coupled with the little voice tags for each character that world was as scoped out in my mind as Middle Earth but without having to read several hundred thousand words to get it there.

Cheers for all the tips so far, if anybody wants to take it further and imagine what it was about a particular game that appealed to them so personally then go for it. Also, on a tangent, has anyone played Sub Cultures, a little trading/combat sub sim where you are a tiny sub dragging around pennies with a big magnet and fighting pirates. I would love to replay it but gave up looking for it after spending months trying to download a dodgy french torrent many years ago... Anyone seen it lurking online anywhere?

#43 Edited by Trilogy (2674 posts) -

@random45 said:

Can I say all of Azeroth? I know this is going to sound really lame, but that world was pretty much like a second home to me, and back when I played WoW for 7+ years, I pretty much knew every nook and cranny of the entire land. Having been there since launch, I was a HUGE wall-walking fan, and I remember having a blast going to the Ironforge Airport, Mount Hyjal, and just in general going to places that were incomplete and not textured in. I knew the vanilla world so well that I KNOW that I could map it out easily.

When I read the thread title, my mind went straight to Azeroth. Specifically Stranglethorn Vale. I'm a sucker for Tropical/island/pirate/lagoon themes, so STV has always been one of, if not my favorite, zones. Interesting you mention the wall walking stuff. Do you remember when priest levitate was bugged so that you could scale up any mountain/wall? My buddy and I went to every unfinished zone in the game before they added flying mounts to Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. I even climbed my way out of some of the instances to get to unfinished alpha versions of the surrounding zone. Climbing out of Zul'Farrak into a half finished Tanaris was a pretty weird example of it.

I also did the classic exploring back in Vanilla that you're referring to. I remember a group of some close friends of mine got into Hyjal one night after a BWL raid. Remember that "under construction" sign they had by the world tree? We ended up finding some random Alliance in there. It was so freaky. We got them on ventrillo with us, and then headed over to the caverns of time to climb our way into there. It felt so exclusive, haha. Yea...good times.

#44 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Lindblum in Final Fantasy IX.

#45 Edited by RespitefortheLovelorn (17 posts) -

I'm a sucker for Destiny Islands from Kingdom Hearts.That place is therapeutic to me.

#46 Posted by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

Perhaps this is a bit of an obvious answer at this time, but I love the bleak and beautiful land of Lordran and the terrifying land of Boletaria. My other choice would be Hyrule from Ocarina of Time. The song of storms and Kakariko Village theme make me so goddamn nostalgic.

#47 Edited by Random45 (1233 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@random45 said:

When I read the thread title, my mind went straight to Azeroth. Specifically Stranglethorn Vale. I'm a sucker for Tropical/island/pirate/lagoon themes, so STV has always been one of, if not my favorite, zones. Interesting you mention the wall walking stuff. Do you remember when priest levitate was bugged so that you could scale up any mountain/wall? My buddy and I went to every unfinished zone in the game before they added flying mounts to Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. I even climbed my way out of some of the instances to get to unfinished alpha versions of the surrounding zone. Climbing out of Zul'Farrak into a half finished Tanaris was a pretty weird example of it.

I also did the classic exploring back in Vanilla that you're referring to. I remember a group of some close friends of mine got into Hyjal one night after a BWL raid. Remember that "under construction" sign they had by the world tree? We ended up finding some random Alliance in there. It was so freaky. We got them on ventrillo with us, and then headed over to the caverns of time to climb our way into there. It felt so exclusive, haha. Yea...good times.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Caverns of Time, I remember my friends and I explored that place, damn that some good memories. I also remember the construction sign in Mount Hyjal too, though I never met others when I went there. I did invite people along though on these expeditions, just because I liked showing them off so much. I don't really remember the priest bug though, but that can be explained away in the fact that I nor my friends played a priest, so I guess we really wouldn't be aware of it.

Man that game was so fun in vanilla. Flying mounts are great and all, but with wall walking you actually felt like an explorer, and I even remember dubbing myself as one due to how much I did it. Man those were some good times.

#48 Edited by Trilogy (2674 posts) -

@random45:

Yea, the flying mount thing was a great convenience add, but it definitely removed some of the sense of exploration and danger from the game. Blizzard's pretty aware of it these days. They've even expressed some regret in adding flying to the game in the first place. It's why you can't use a flying mount until level cap in the current and next expansion. They don't want players skipping (flying) over content.

Oh, and here's the levitate bug I was talking about. You can imagine, after seeing it, that no mountain or wall could get in your way. It was a lot of fun. I wish they didn't fix it.

#49 Posted by DEFE (260 posts) -

Hm, that's a pretty interesting question. My knee-jerk reaction is to say Termina, and even after putting more thought into it I think I'd stand by that. The world is nicely fleshed out, with interesting characters whose lives you can impact. I think that having some degree of agency in the minutiae of the world is good for making the player invested. Saving it from the moon feels detached in a lot of ways. A world-ending event is far enough removed from my own day to day reality that I'm much more invested in things like the old woman being robbed by Sakon and the Anju/Kafei quest. Contrast that with Twilight Princess's castle town, in which you can't even speak to the majority of people. They might as well not be there, and the focus has to remain on gameplay and the central storyline. It then helps immensely that Majora's Mask is just a fantastic game to play. That just increases my positivity toward that world.

Another that I might think of is Isle Delfino. Super Mario Sunshine is the first game that I can think of where I would just stop and look at things. It was the kind of place I would want to vacation at.

I can't argue with those saying Inaba. Unsurprisingly, since Persona 4 has plenty of visual novel-esque elements, I think of Inaba much as I would think of Yamaku from Katawa Shoujo. Both involve a high school and the small town around it. They both involve a main character who was suddenly pulled away from a busy city and dropped into a cute little town that is realistic enough to be believable, but undeniably idyllic and placid. Mix that with the fact that you always have pleasant background music and you're immersed in a story in which your character will be having interesting, positive experiences, and you have a pretty appealing world. Whereas my above examples are a fantasy world and a tropical paradise, Inaba and Yamaku feel a bit more real. It almost feels like you could live there.

Hard to argue with