Where should I get my game reviews from?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dbz1995

OK, so from my previous post, it seems that Gamespot have become...misleading. I dont like IGNs posts because I feel that they are too optimistic, and Giantbomb, although their reviews are AWESOME, are missing out a fair few games.

What site would you recommend?

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

Gametrailers is good. Though most of the people I used to read are not there anymore, I'd say 1UP also.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By metal_mills

Gametrailers are pretty spot on most of the time. I find IGN over rates things way too much, 1up sucks, edge sucks and is all over the place and Gamespot is ok but lost creditability and it's hard to really trust them now, although they do have some good reviews.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Eder

Sorry but I think Gametrailers reviews suck. Halo 3 got a better score in story than MGS4? NO WAY

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Ouroboros

I go with IGN, here Giantbomb and peer reviews on this site

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

This will seem unorthodox, but GameFAQs users seem to have good taste. Hell, my scores usually agree with theirs.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Ouroboros said:
" I go with IGN, here Giantbomb and peer reviews on this site "
It took 5 posts for someone to say giantbomb?
You know the site you guys are posting on?
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

I use Giant Bomb and Gamespot. I may check 1UP and IGN rarely if it's a game i'm really interested and they're one of the first to have a review up.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

My primary is source, but guess what? Much better than reviews is doing your own research. Think of a written review, by Giant Bomb for instance, as your outline. Then think of research and factual information as your final deciding factor. For me I love Dynasty Warriors games but know it'll get the same shitty review, but I'll still enjoy it. Understand that you'll probably like established franchise sequels.

To sum it all up... GB is what I'm getting at but nothing beats research. Also watch all the video reviews, despite if the review sucks or not you still see the game in action and (for the most part) explained with a non-bias tone. If you're lucky of course.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

Look for reviews users have posted and Co-op which i get off itunes, is good, they tend to be very abstract about if they like a game or not though.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Vitefish

I usually check aggregate sites such as Metacritic. There, I can get an average score and read all of the reviews if I have time.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Just read the individual game reviews they have on Metacritic.  Say you want to buy Street Fighter IV.  You should read a couple of good reviews for it and then a couple of bad reviews for it.  Maybe doing this will help you on buying a game or not.

JakeK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JakeK

I really like Kotaku's reviews.

I feel that putting a score on something doesn't work well, so I like that they just let you know what is good and what is bad.

If you want scores though I'm going to have to agree with JJOR64; going to metacritic really lets you get a good feel for how multiple people felt about the game versus one reviewer who may be biased towards the game/developers/genre.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By subject2change

GiantBomb, Kotaku and Destructoid. However GameSpot and other mainstream sites usually have a review up on release day. However never limit to one source and find writers/reviewers you tend to agree with most of the time and look for their reviews.

And Co-Op which was mentioned is not really a review sort of program; they discuss games and that's really it. They give their likes and dislikes but do not give ratings, something I agree with completely but that's another topic.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nixium

JoyStiq has good reviews too. I like them because they are fairly well balanced and contain no scores.

rift33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rift33

If you think about it meta score would be the most well rounded..

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

I read HYPER magazine every month and read all their reviews. Unfortunately there are obvious time limitations to print media. When it comes to online reviews I usually still go to gamespot first (old habits die hard, and I find they are still alright). From there I usually just link to the Critics Score page and have a look at a few reviews from other places as well from the extreme ends of positive and negative to get some balance. I most of Giantbombs reviews when they go up too obviously.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By gla55jAw

I go to IGN when it's something thats not on here. I havn't used gay gamespot in over a year.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By mordukai
@Eder said:
" Sorry but I think Gametrailers reviews suck. Halo 3 got a better score in story than MGS4? NO WAY "
Are you kidding??? Halo 3 scored higher higher in the Sory then MG4....let me check this...brb

ELEVATOR MUSIC..........................................................................................................................

They sure did. I guess the reviewer is either a halo 3 fanboy or just plain stupid.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@Eder: You're one of those guys.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Branthog
@dbz1995 said:
" OK, so from my previous post, it seems that Gamespot have become...misleading. I dont like IGNs posts because I feel that they are too optimistic, and Giantbomb, although their reviews are AWESOME, are missing out a fair few games.What site would you recommend? "

I go to Giant Bomb as my absolute primary source. After that, I rely on a smattering from 1up, Amazon reviews, Game Trailers, Gamespot, IGN, Euro Gamer, certain podcasts and whatever the google search turns up. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Some grains larger than others. But you can usually build a general idea of what to expect based on that.

I trust the Giant Bomb crew above and beyond any other source, though. Not saying that all the others are corrupt or unfairly influenced. Some are. Some aren't. But aside from having an intrinsic trust in the GB crew, I also trust their taste and have developed enough of an understanding of them, their reviews, their play style, etc (I could list a lot of other stuff I've learned from stalking them and living in their attics for weeks at a time, unnoticed and undetected, but I won't bore you here).  It makes putting their reviews and thoughts into perspective much easier and therefore more accurately determine what's for me and what isn't.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seedofpower

Escapist has supplements that really give you a score or to buy the game, but the way it works is they show you the whole game and you make up your own mind on weather or not its for you. 

hamchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By hamchan
@JJOR64 said:
" Just read the individual game reviews they have on Metacritic.  Say you want to buy Street Fighter IV.  You should read a couple of good reviews for it and then a couple of bad reviews for it.  Maybe doing this will help you on buying a game or not. "
I also check Metacritic, it really is the best way. Gametrailers reviews are also good because they don't need to waste time describing graphics and their scores are usually quite consistent.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

YOU ARE ALL SO FILLED WITH FAIL! YOU MISSED THE MOST RELIABLE SOURCE!

I am sure everyone would agree with me, that you just need to visit your local Game Stop and ask the boy or girl behind the counter for advice about a game. They won't steer you wrong. In fact, last time I visited Game Stop, I overheard the girl behind the counter advising someone to buy ICON/Def Jam, because it is "THE BEST GAME I (SHE) HAD EVER PLAYED".

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Metric_Outlaw
@dbz1995 said:
" OK, so from my previous post, it seems that Gamespot have become...misleading. I dont like IGNs posts because I feel that they are too optimistic, and Giantbomb, although their reviews are AWESOME, are missing out a fair few games.What site would you recommend? "
Get your reviews from me, play Super Mario Bros. Its really good.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolverine
@dbz1995 said:
I'd recommend first looking here, at Giant Bomb. If they don't have a review you are looking for then go on Metacritic and read one of the reviews there.