Where's my Split-Screen ?

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Krazy_D

Man, what happened to split screen gaming ? Gaming used to be a fun activity to do when you had a friend over, but now, the best way to game with a friend is if you both have the same console, and are at your own house.  I remember when my friend Nick would come over, and we'd boot up Time Splitters 3, Halo or Destroy All Humans 2.  Him , my brother and I would always get into some crazy 3 player games back in the day, and now, the onlyl game that we three will play together, religously, is SSB, NOTHING like that game for friends.  :(   I really miss it, and hope it'll come back, I've really wanted a free roaming game a la GTA 4 with splitscreen, that'd be SICK.

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Krazy_D

Man, what happened to split screen gaming ? Gaming used to be a fun activity to do when you had a friend over, but now, the best way to game with a friend is if you both have the same console, and are at your own house.  I remember when my friend Nick would come over, and we'd boot up Time Splitters 3, Halo or Destroy All Humans 2.  Him , my brother and I would always get into some crazy 3 player games back in the day, and now, the onlyl game that we three will play together, religously, is SSB, NOTHING like that game for friends.  :(   I really miss it, and hope it'll come back, I've really wanted a free roaming game a la GTA 4 with splitscreen, that'd be SICK.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Internet happened. Sorry you slept a few years.

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Krazy_D

Hey-- there's nothing wrong with the playing over the internet, but if I friend over, it pretty much illiminates gaming as an option, and I happen to live in Rural Canada, where I don't actually have the BEST connection.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

yeah im getting real sick of games without split screen. especial since racing games are now lacking this feature whats next fighting games with no versus?

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Krazy_D

Yeah, exactly ! Speaking of which, I LOVE Smash Brothers to play with a buddy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nintendo will hook you up.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

That's why I'm keen to see if Blur is any good - it's going to have four-player split screen, and it'll be a nice change of pace on game nights with my mates.

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Krazy_D
@S0ndor: I said Gaming, not... Wii...ing ?
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eclipsesis

Yeah nothing beats having a buddy next to you, I'm all for split screen, which i believe Split/Second is including. INTERNET SUCKS

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Blame the internet. Sadly (or really, not so sadly) the days of playing goldeneye in a dark, cramped room with four people is long behind us.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Krazy_D said:
" @S0ndor: I said Gaming, not... Wii...ing ? "
Don't go there bro, just don't.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By animateria

A lot of modern First Person Shooters still have split screen. MW2, Halo 3 and Recon, Gears of War , yada yada yada.

GTA never had multiplayer split screen.  And games like MUA have offline Co-op.

I don't see your point.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

I felt that split screen was coming back.

Forza 3 had it. Blur will even have 4-player-splitscreen like Mario Kart. (I hate all racing games without a splitscreen option).

Also, many action games have it. Gears or Army of Two, for example or most recently Splinter Cell Conviction (with a neat twist ending I've been told).

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krazy_D
@animateria: You don't see my point ? back in the day, every game that had multiplayer, had split screen, nowadays, maybe 10% of every game with multiplayer has splitscreen.
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Krazy_D
@CptBedlam: True, it certainly IS on the rise, I just hope that things keep up this way, gaming can go in 2 different directions now, split screen AND online, or just online, man, I hope we keep up with the splitscreen, but when I hear about co op in things like, Saints Row, I get SO excited, only to find out that it's just online :( Such a shame (Crackdown as well)
@S0ndor: I'm just kidding man, I like what NINTENDO is doing with the Wii, third parties, well, I don't even KNOW what they're doing :S But man, that console has something for everyone, that's for sure.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria
@Krazy_D said:
" @animateria: You don't see my point ? back in the day, every game that had multiplayer, had split screen, nowadays, maybe 10% of every game with multiplayer has splitscreen. 

FPSes always had and still has splitscreen. Third person shooters like Gears of War isn't as common but have split-screen. Diablo style games always have a single-screen co-op. A lot of racing games minus a few have split-screen. GTA never had split-screen in it's history. Dynasty Warriors as mediocre as it is, still has split-screen.
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Krazy_D

Yuck, Dynasty Warriors has Split Screen ?

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JeevesPleez

Sorry dude, but a free-roam game with split-screen probably isn't going to happen, at least as far as mainstream gaming is concerned. The problem is that it's hard enough to make a good single player free-roam game that looks good and plays well. Having two perspectives (e.g. almost twice as much to render, including potentially twice as many objects/textures) would mean sacrificing graphics at the very least, which no one is going to do, because most people won't buy a bad-looking game. 

That said, having a split-screen GTAIV-ish game (as far as game mechanics) that looks like GTAIII would still be hella fun.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Krazy_D said:
" Yuck, Dynasty Warriors has Split Screen ? "
Yes. I remember playing it. For that single hour  I enjoyed the series, it was a pretty cool feature. 

Funny how I just made this:  http://www.giantbomb.com/serious-sam-hd-the-second-encounter/61-29323/no-splitscreen-no-sale/35-407334/ 

Split screen gaming will always be a more fun experience than online. You need your friends there. What I find particularly absurd is the fact that HD screens make split screens clearer than they've ever been. I'm just thankful for games like Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and MW2.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By trophyhunter
@Vinchenzo said:
" Internet happened. Sorry you slept a few years. "
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates
@animateria: The bigger problem with the titles you listed is that the map design is no longer suitable for split-screen play (and Gears of War 2's two-player splitscreen really isn't adequate). Most games are simply designing large, sprawling maps made for a minimum of eight to twelve players. Halo 3 still has some map design based around four-player fun (Epitaph, Construct, and a few of the DLC maps come to mind), but most games are expanding out of split-screen gameplay. 

The thing that confused me more is the lack of split-screen racing games. Why on earth isn't Burnout Paradise splitscreen? The same question can be asked of Pure, Motorstorm (with only 2-player splitscreen), and many other racing games this generation. For me, racing games are way more fun when everybody's in the same room. Same goes for fighting games.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
@trophyhunter said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
"
Sorry you two only have friends you met on internet forums.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam
@Krazy_D said:
" @CptBedlam: True, it certainly IS on the rise, I just hope that things keep up this way, gaming can go in 2 different directions now, split screen AND online, or just online, man, I hope we keep up with the splitscreen, but when I hear about co op in things like, Saints Row, I get SO excited, only to find out that it's just online :( Such a shame (Crackdown as well) 
Agreed. But with open world games it's often a question of available hardware resources. These games are often already on the limit. Just think back how the framerate of GTA4 was often all over the place and stuff popped in. Rendering everything twice is just too much for most open world games.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trophyhunter
@MysteriousBob said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
"
Sorry you two only have friends you met on internet forums. "
Sorry you live in the past. go have fun playing golden eye jackass.
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Krazy_D
@CptBedlam: Oh, I agree-- I'm just saying that it would be AWESOME, also-- Oblivion with just 2 player split screen, man, or even online co op, damn, that'd be AWESOME
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By Little_Socrates
@MysteriousBob: I wasn't that into the Borderlands or L4D2 splitscreen, though (well, I mean, if you take it online, it's awesome still). The games are so heavy on that number "4" that if you're leaving two characters to CPUs, it's kind of lame and doesn't feel as good. I think they definitely could've made L4D2 splitscreen and it still would've worked, even if it were hard.  

That said, I haven't tried MW2 splitscreen yet. Is it that good? 

Also, recent game that made me angry at its lack of ANY local multiplayer; BFBC2.
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krazy_D
@trophyhunter: Woah-- watch it there buddy, just because the internet exists, doesn't mean splitscreen can't.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptBedlam
@Little_Socrates said:

The thing that confused me more is the lack of split-screen racing games. Why on earth isn't Burnout Paradise splitscreen? The same question can be asked of Pure, Motorstorm (with only 2-player splitscreen), and many other racing games this generation. For me, racing games are way more fun when everybody's in the same room. Same goes for fighting games. "

EXACTLY.

I was especially upset with Burnout Paradise because Burnout was a franchise that was insanely fun in splitscreen. Too bad, Burnout is dead to me. I don't care about an open world in racing games.

There were a lot racing games I was interested but ended up not not buying because of the lack of splitscreen (Flatout:UC, Pure, Grid etc.)

Thank god for Blur!
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@MysteriousBob: In MW2... if you system link two consoles... you can't split screen on either of 'em. Whereas if you play on one system you can have up to four player split... what's up with that?!
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Krazy_D
@CptBedlam: Burnout Paradise was actually one of the big reasons I started this topic, that was SUCH a missed opprotunity :(
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
"
Sorry you live in the past. go have fun playing golden eye jackass. "
Some people have friends in real life and like to meet them. Playing games with friends and having beers together is better than any online play.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trophyhunter
@Krazy_D said:
" @trophyhunter: Woah-- watch it there buddy, just because the internet exists, doesn't mean splitscreen can't. "
Sure it can but there is no need for it.
Anyone that wants it is a nutcase that can't let go of the past.
Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Krazy_D
@CptBedlam: Amen to that. 
@trophyhunter: Read this mans post, that feeling can NOT be satisfied over the web.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter said:

" @Krazy_D said:

" @trophyhunter: Woah-- watch it there buddy, just because the internet exists, doesn't mean splitscreen can't. "

Sure it can but there is no need for it. Anyone that wants it is a nutcase that can't let go of the past. "
This is just plain BS. Go trolling in some other thread.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trophyhunter
@CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
"
Some people have friends in real life and like to meet them. Playing games with friends and having beers together is better than any online play. "
No one can have a good time playing split screen it's just awful. 
Play a real 2-player game like a fighting game or a music game or one of those awful party games.
Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Hyuzen

i was upset that far cry 2 never had local multiplayer, that and burnout paradise and motorstorm. it just seems like such a great thing i don't know why people would leave it out when it can be done

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animateria
@Little_Socrates said:
" @animateria: The bigger problem with the titles you listed is that the map design is no longer suitable for split-screen play (and Gears of War 2's two-player splitscreen really isn't adequate). Most games are simply designing large, sprawling maps made for a minimum of eight to twelve players. Halo 3 still has some map design based around four-player fun (Epitaph, Construct, and a few of the DLC maps come to mind), but most games are expanding out of split-screen gameplay.  The thing that confused me more is the lack of split-screen racing games. Why on earth isn't Burnout Paradise splitscreen? The same question can be asked of Pure, Motorstorm (with only 2-player splitscreen), and many other racing games this generation. For me, racing games are way more fun when everybody's in the same room. Same goes for fighting games. "
The reason for the decline of Split Screen racing games in arcade racers is because of how far they push the graphics while trying to maintain a steady FPS. Obviously it would be impossible for a free-roaming game like Burnout Paradise, it runs at a silky smooth FPS while throwing all kinds of obstacles at you, two players can be in two totally different areas and the game will need to render different vehicles on the screen separately. Already a nightmare scenario when trying to achieve a high FPS in HD.

Most racing games did 2 player split screen at most, unless it was a mascot cart racer, the FPS takes a heavy hit.   

Try playing Wipeout HD, splitscreen. The hit in FPS is severe enough to cause significant eye pain in the players after 30 minutes of play (Trust me I tried it with someone).
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter:@trophyhunter said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @MysteriousBob said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
"
Some people have friends in real life and like to meet them. Playing games with friends and having beers together is better than any online play. "
No one can have a good time playing split screen it's just awful.  Play a real 2-player game like a fighting game or a music game or one of those awful party games. "
You just need a big enough tv.

Especially racing games are so much more fun in splitscreen than online. Burnout 3 was best in this regard.

Also, speak for yourself. You maybe can't have a good time with splitscreen. Others can. Chances are you're pretty young and didn't ever play much splitscreen.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trophyhunter

You can keep living in the past all you want. 
whats next? you going to talk about how half-life is amazing and not a total pile of shite?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter said:

" You can keep living in the past all you want.  whats next? you going to talk about how half-life is amazing and not a total pile of shite? "

Grow up, pubescent troll.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trophyhunter
@CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" You can keep living in the past all you want.  whats next? you going to talk about how half-life is amazing and not a total pile of shite? "
Grow up, pubescent troll. "
remember only a fool takes a fool's argument 
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kishan6

lots of games have splitscreen splinter cell convicition has it and halo reach is confirmed to have it. 
play games other than call of duty/battlefield and u will see

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter said:
" @CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
remember only a fool takes a fool's argument  "
At least you know you're trolling. Get some friends (not the virtual kind).
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By trophyhunter
@CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
At least you know you're trolling. Get some friends (not the virtual kind). "
I already do why don't you come by and meet them, I'd love to have you over for dinner.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CptBedlam
@trophyhunter said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
I already do why don't you come by and meet them, I'd love to have you over for dinner. "
Everything that counts is that at least you can see them. No matter how creepy it may seem to real people.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The last split screen game that I played that was pretty good was The Club. I like that game, even though it's about as deep as an ashtray. An ashtray that's full of ash and butts, natch.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By trophyhunter
@CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @CptBedlam said:
" @trophyhunter said:
I already do why don't you come by and meet them, I'd love to have you over for dinner. "
Everything that counts is that at least you can see them. No matter how creepy it may seem to real people. "
So your not coming? but I ordered pizza?
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By TomA

splitscreen rocks

Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Krazy_D
@trophyhunter: I'd like to quote Samuel L. Jackson here, I'VE HAD IT, WITH THESE MOTHERF***ING TROLLS, ON MY MOTHERF***ING BLOG!! :P