Which classic also-ran console had the most good games?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By rachelepithet

Of the systems that weren't Xbox, PlayStation 1 & 2, Gamecube, N64, NES & SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, Dreamcast, 2600, or C64 (i.e.: ones that sold double digit millions...) which had the most best games? I'm interested in collecting. I imagine a lot will say NeoGeo, but that seems to have a ton of games that are, lets say, minor upgrades of each other. Like making a list of the ten greatest games of all time and listing all versions of Street Fighter 2. Lets just say I'm not gonna be in the mood to learn the intricate differences in the blocking mechanic and boxart between "KOF May 1994" and "KOF August 1994". ;-)

I'm leaning towards Saturn or 3DO. But Jeff's got me intrigued by Turbografx. And I trust AVGN that Jaguar is a no go.

Avatar image for hurricanehaines
hurricanehaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hurricanehaines

I always wanted to give the 3DO a good go. Depends on your love of FMV games

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jjm494

I don't know about Sales Numbers, but I don't remember the Saturn being an also ran. It remained pretty competitive against the N64 and PlayStation for quite a while. I think its shorter lifespan had more to do with Sega wanting to get a jump on the PS2 by releasing the DreamCast first.

If you are going to classify the Saturn as an also ran, than I would say it had the best games of the systems you mentioned. If you want to collect the actually system and games itself, go for it. If you're looking to play Emulated versions, I believe you're out of luck. I've heard that system is a nightmare to emulate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I would say the Dreamcast. It had a bunch of great Sega first party games and great arcade ports. Also there were a few third party studios like Capcom that put out great games like Power Stone and Cannon Spike.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The only thing I ever played that fit this description more or less is Sega CD, if you count that.

And it had some games I really loved. Sonic CD, Eternal Champions, Final Fight CD, Ecco, Night Trap, Sewer Shark (lol...) Road Rash.

Some of these have regular versions on Genesis but the Sega CD versions are often really cool. Ecco's music is amazing on CD, Eternal Champions had lots of new stuff, Final Fight CD was a very good port.

I can't compare it to some of the other systems and maybe you have it, but if you don't, give it a look.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rachelepithet

@jjm494: Sales figures on wikipedia say PS1 40 million in America, N64 20 million in America, Saturn 2 million in America.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

I would get a Turbografx, it had a large library of original and strange games, and since they are all sprite based, I think the system holds up alot better than early polygonal graphic consoles.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By casper_

saturn had grandia and some good shmups.

i consider dreamcast also ran because it became irrelevant so quickly and that had a the best fighting game collection on any console and also some japanese nonsense which is good.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By KaneRobot

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Of the systems that weren't Xbox, PlayStation 1 & 2, Gamecube, N64, NES & SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, Dreamcast, 2600, or C64

@bartok said:

I would say the Dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@KaneRobot: Well shit! Me not read so good :(

Does the Sega Master System count? I had a friend who's older brother had one and I remember having a blast with games like Alien Syndrome, Fantasy Zone, Psycho Fox, and my favorite port of Rampage.

Avatar image for gorndonfredoman
gorndonfredoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gorndonfredoman

@jjm494 said:

I don't know about Sales Numbers, but I don't remember the Saturn being an also ran. It remained pretty competitive against the N64 and PlayStation for quite a while. I think its shorter lifespan had more to do with Sega wanting to get a jump on the PS2 by releasing the DreamCast first.

If you are going to classify the Saturn as an also ran, than I would say it had the best games of the systems you mentioned. If you want to collect the actually system and games itself, go for it. If you're looking to play Emulated versions, I believe you're out of luck. I've heard that system is a nightmare to emulate.

You need a somewhat modern system for it but SSF (http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/) will run most Saturn games accurately.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jjm494

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

@jjm494: Sales figures on wikipedia say PS1 40 million in America, N64 20 million in America, Saturn 2 million in America.

Wow, if that's accurate, I didn't realize how bad a beating Sega took that generation. I guess the Saturn would fall into the also ran category then. I'm also surprised to see how many N64 were sold. Still a distant second to the PS1, but not as distant as I had imagined.

@gorndonfredoman said:

@jjm494 said:

You need a somewhat modern system for it but SSF (http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/) will run most Saturn games accurately.

Well that's a nice surprise. I might have to look into that when I have some time. I always wanted to check out Dragon force, Blazing Rangers, and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hippie_genocide

If you consider the Saturn an also-ran, almost by definition you have to consider the Dreamcast one as well. It had a similar lifespan and only sold about 1 million more units WW. But based on the ones you mentioned, I'd go with the Saturn, however the Dreamcast had a much better library imo. For collecting purposes I'd would think Saturn games are much harder to come by as well.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rachelepithet

Dreamcast got way more mainstream attention. I remember Saturn selling in stores as a high end luxury, akin to the NeoGeo and 3DO, even though it was far less expensive. It was Brookestone territory. I think Sega itself was the one that considered it an also ran. Sonic Xtreme being canned, and Sonic 3D blast being so completely different. Its most sought after titles seem to be of the Japanese import kind, JRPGs, bullethell shooters, etc. Games like Policenauts, Crusader, Tomb Raider, Road Rash could be had elsewhere. When Saturn debuted, it was rushed to market without marketing, and had primarily 2D games just when the culture was going 3D. When Dreamcast debuted, it was a smash, its graphics were state of the art, its internet service wasn't some rare only-in-japan accessory, its exclusive sports games were the best, and stayed the best after they made it to Xbox and PS2 in 2K4/2K5. It had a great Sonic game, a great exclusive (not counting arcades) fighting game, mass appeal titles like Crazy Taxi. Yeah, Dreamcast was way bigger and better than Saturn even if total global sales don't show it.

Dreamcast and Genesis definitely were desirable amongst the kids of my generation, Master System, Saturn, and GameGear not so much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

Also-ran? Never heard the term.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Mezmero

More like ulcer and...

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By JazGalaxy

I don't think you can consider the sega saturn to be an also-ran. 

It had ports of many of the most important games back then, such as virtua fighter, virtua cop, and daytona. It also had the games everyone wanted to play, just like playstation, including Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil, and others. It was also the only place to play RPGs back when Sony was banning any developers from releasing them in the west before Final Fantasy 7. 

It wasn't until Sony shuttered the Saturn that it completely died, even if it was losing badly to the playstation. And even then, people still wanted Burning Rangers, Virual On, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. 

With it's widespread availability, full featured marketing and games people wanted, I don't understand how it could be called an also-ran. If it gets that status, then I feel like Gamecube and Dreamcast should get the same treatment.