#1  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Strife777

I prefer Batman for it's "feel" and accuracy. But Assassin's Creed has more variety and is also fun. They're pretty different though. I voted Batman.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Batman, it had more flow than AC.
I kind of got murdered at some parts in Batman, where in AC I just waited and countered an army one by one.
Can't comment on Spiderman, never played it.

So, Arkham.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Batman, it had more flow than AC.
I kind of got murdered at some parts in Batman, where in AC I just waited and countered an army one by one.
Can't comment on Spiderman, never played it.

So, Arkham.

That's pretty much what I'd have said, although a bit more favorable to Assassin's Creed than this suggests.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Deranged

The Arkham games are far more fluid and the combat is just as, if not more versatile than Assassins Creed.

Both games are incredible though.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By daiphyer

Isn't Amazing Spider-Man's combat system pretty much a copy of Batman's combat system?

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NyxFe

Well since you made "other" and option, I have to go with Devil May Cry 3. Really nothing I have ever played comes close.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@Video_Game_King: Ugh, didn't mean to downrate AC that much but I just felt confused by all the different weapons, gadgets and what not.
I got through the game just fine countering and hacking people with a giant axe or such which was offputting, there were like no chances to really feel like a bad ass Assassin that slashed through the ranks.
Just waiting, countering, looting corpses or throwing them off roofs for fun.
In Batman you kind of had to really change tactics depending on what weapons were wielded against you.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

Batman's is more fun to me than Assassins Creed, as it's more active whereas AC's is more passive. Though getting a good chain going in AC is pretty satisfying. I just wanna jam on that button and stab motherfuckers like "Uh. Uh. Uh. Uh. Uh."

Other opens the door for so many possibilities though, doesn't it? I could be all "Other. Call of Duty 4 motherfucker." if I so chose. Or how about "Other. Pokemon motherfucker."

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
@Daiphyer

Isn't Amazing Spider-Man's combat system pretty much a copy of Batman's combat system?

Pretty much. A lot of games are copying that combat system now.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TaliciaDragonsong: After countering one dude just jam on that stab button to stab any other dudes around you and then try and tell me you don't feel like a badass assassin!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't played Spiderman but from what I've heard that system is a poor man's Batman combat. AC and Batman both have great combat but they're often pretty different, overall Batman has to be the best though. The rhythm and simplicity of the head-to-head combat and the way the stealth combat makes you feel like a total badass is fantastic. It's original, satisfying, and really makes you feel like Batman.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: I didn't, sorry, was just watching a slew of instant kill scenes. :P
fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By fugie7

batman

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT

I remember Assassin's Creed 1 pretty kinda difficult. Don't know if that's just because they didn't add the "kill everything after 1 succesful counter" feautre or if I just wasn't used to combat like that.

The Arkham games are snappy as hell, but I prefer the feel of Assassin's Creed. You get a nice rhythm in Arkham games, but fights in AC1 were tense. After AC1, or at least after AC2, combat became button mashy, which, sure, you could say Arkham is, but... it's different. I'm too lazy to explain ATM.

QUALITY COMMENT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is the most fun I've had in melee combat since God of War. It's actually super surprising that there's only been two Batman ripoffs so far.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Whitestripes09

Batman by far. AC series made me kind of upset even though the combat is pretty diverse. To me, AC was pretty much pick any weapon, hell you could use your fist if you really wanted, and just counter and mash buttons to victory. There wasn't really any reasonable choice to pick a dagger other than that its slightly faster than swords and it just made the game have a bunch of useless weapons in my opinion.

Batman you have more variety of enemies that require more cunning and strategy to take out and of course in Arkham City using gadgets made the game a bit more diverse since they all did something useful and had a point, unlike AC.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TaliciaDragonsong: Well... Then I guess... You must be doing it wrong! Do it better next time! Geez!

I wish I knew how to make this post seem more petulant. Maybe this will help:

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Sooperspy

Definitely Batman. And I'm glad more games are doing knock-offs of that system like Amazing Spider-Man and Sleeping Dogs.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmilingPig

I like the pause than input action type like in Dragon age 1.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BaneFireLord

Batman. Assassin's Creed has far too much "wait to counter" and related jank to be truly great. 

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rabid619

Batman by a long shot. Once you get good at it you are basically invincible, and you have a great feeling of power over your foes. Seriously, there is nothing in gaming quite like beating 50 dudes one after another while maintaining a single combo. Ugh, so good.

I love Assassin's Creed but the combat system is so close to Batman at this point it just makes it feel sooooo slowwwwww. I still enjoy it, but I go into a fight in AC without even thinking what I'm doing now, just watch for the counters and chain. It's still fun, but Batman has just made it look like a poor imitation at this point, even though AC came first.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lost_Remnant

The Batman Arkham series easy. I do enjoy the combat in Assassin's Creed but I can sleep walk my way through it, the window you have for counters is so huge that you rarely need to attack yourself. On normal difficulty the Arkham games do have easy tells for counters (the lighting bolt above their heads) but that goes away on Hard and the window isn't nearly as huge.

I mean, in Batman when I steamroll over ten dudes without as much as a scratch, I feel unstoppable. Doing the same thing in Assassin's Creed does not illicit the same response. The fun in that series was more about neck stabbing the main dude and getting out without so much as a how do you do from the guards, not working them over in combat for me. The counter animations are always pretty fun to watch though.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fetchfox

Assassins Creed isn't bad, but it takes so little effort. Batman Arkham Asylum&City, hands down. When you manage a flawless 70+ combo on hard (or newgame+), where just a few hits will hurt you significantly, damn... that's incredibly satisfying.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By landon

Amazing Spider-Man? lolwut?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By ShaggE

Batman. Especially Arkham City. Getting slaughtered at the beginning of NG+, then tearing asses up once I got into the suit? THAT is how you get that badass vibe going.

I do wish there was a harder setting, though. It seems like once you get good at the combat, you get GOOD at the combat, and then it's a cakewalk.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

@TheHT said:

I remember Assassin's Creed 1 pretty kinda difficult. Don't know if that's just because they didn't add the "kill everything after 1 succesful counter" feautre or if I just wasn't used to combat like that.

The Arkham games are snappy as hell, but I prefer the feel of Assassin's Creed. You get a nice rhythm in Arkham games, but fights in AC1 were tense. After AC1, or at least after AC2, combat became button mashy, which, sure, you could say Arkham is, but... it's different. I'm too lazy to explain ATM.

QUALITY COMMENT.

I don't agree with the "button-mashiness" of the Arkham franchise. Combat is deeply rooted in timing and pressing exactly the buttons you need to press. If you want to do a simple combo, X, X, X is enough. If you want to counter, you have to press Y in the exact moment you have to. The same goes for the Assassin's Creed games, with some caveats, after 2 especially. Button mashing will yield very little results in these games.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

AC is tooooooo janky. Especially in challenges. And a lot of the "hard" enemy types just end up as frustratingly boring.

@pyromagnestir: Until a friendly/civilian gets in the way or Ezio trips on a stone and can't make it to his target. Not to mention all of the jank in the combat system, it's never terribly precise beyond that first initial counter. And again, enemies that can't be combo/counter killed without having gone into the instant kill thing? Super obnoxious. Not because it's too hard, but because it takes away all of the interesting things to the combat.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AngelN7

@Brodehouse said:

Batman is the most fun I've had in melee combat since God of War. It's actually super surprising that there's only been two Batman ripoffs so far.

What's the other one?

On topic, the first and last AC game I played was 2 and I really liked the combat but I have to go with Batman on this one the gameplay is simple yet allows for improvisation and versatility while making you look like badass (none of that guard bumps into you and falls to it's death), also you're Batman.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten

Assassins Creed takes it for me. 
I just love the variety in the different moves you can string together if you actually get good at it(stringing them together, not just mashing a button)  
But roll over a guy, stab him in the back gets a dude to stab his buddy, all that just looks pretty. 

I do enjoy seeing Batman knocking people out too. And also just hanging them from a roof, that's also fun. 

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden. Anything that has fighting games style combos and depth.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By Icemael

"Other". I'd put just about every good Japanese melee combat system (and some Western ones too) way, way above all three of those. Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, the Souls games, God Hand etc.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Ruiner

I really liked the combat in Dragon's Dogma...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Justin258

@NyxFe said:

Well since you made "other" and option, I have to go with Devil May Cry 3. Really nothing I have ever played comes close.

This is what I was thinking. Batman's combat system certainly has a good feel to it but there isn't much in the way of complexity or, hell, even a ton of skill. At some point you realize that you're just mashing buttons and Batman is (as always) doing all the hard work, and since you put other I couldn't even think of placing those games in the same tier as Devil May Cry or God of War or other great combat systems.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463

I went ass. I hate Batman's combat and, while super easy, ass. at least makes you feel like a bad ass when yo get a good combo going.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

Batman easily. (between the 3)

I've done the challenges and achievement stuff associated with both Assassins Creed combat simulations and Batman Rooms in both games. Both systems can be quite fluid once you get good at them and both can make you feel pretty bad ass. But Batman's combat has more mechanical variety, is more challenging and also ultimately more rewarding. And even when you are comboing and countering perfectly in Assassins Creed, it just does not quite have the flow down, in that super seamless beautiful way Batman does.

Also Batmans combat on Newgame plus is a whole other ballpark both in terms of difficulty how natural it becomes and the sheer scale of crowds and being on the ball that you have to be. But when you excel at it, it's almost poetic to watch.

Assassins countering while more deadly when you keep it going and properly chaining just gets super repetitive fast due to limit of mechanical variables and animations. And in normal course of the game there are no real epic fights either unlike Batman.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti

@believer258 said:

@NyxFe said:

This is what I was thinking. Batman's combat system certainly has a good feel to it but there isn't much in the way of complexity or, hell, even a ton of skill. At some point you realize that you're just mashing buttons and Batman is (as always) doing all the hard work, and since you put other I couldn't even think of placing those games in the same tier as Devil May Cry or God of War or other great combat systems.

I have not played Devil may Cry series, but God of War is super mashy on normal difficulty. It can get going up to speed on higher difficulties sure, but so does Batman on Newgame+ in AC, or in the second half of the challenge rooms, there is nothing mashy about it at that point at all.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

D. My favorite combat system is DMC3 by a huge margin. Out of those 3 it's a close battle between Assassin's Creed and Arkham but I think I enjoy Assassin's Creed more.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Batmans is the only character action game system I actually like.

furiouscabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By furiouscabbage

Gotta go with Dark Souls on this one. The combat isn't all that flashy, but the tension it creates in each and every fight is unique compared to any other game I've played this generation. One misstep or missed attack and you can die.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By audiosnow

No contest: Batman.

For me, AC combat consisted of "assassinating" the first enemy in the group. Didn't matter how alert or well defended, the first soldier never managed to figure out that the guy leaping for his throat might be up to no good. After idiot number one, the rest circled around, waiting their turn like guys in a 1980's bar fight movie scene. One by one they would leap forward, while I held the "defend" trigger. Then it was an exercise of patience, waiting for each jackass' turn to come up before timing my counter-attacks and watching the little cutscene. Kill eighty-percent of them and the remnant scatter, shrieking and pulling their hair.

Can you tell I'm not a fan of Assassin's Creed?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Justin258

@Tennmuerti said:

@believer258 said:

@NyxFe said:

I have not played Devil may Cry series, but God of War is super mashy on normal difficulty. It can get going up to speed on higher difficulties sure, but so does Batman on Newgame+ in AC, or in the second half of the challenge rooms, there is nothing mashy about it at that point at all.

I wouldn't say God of War is super mashy even on Normal - you have to, at some point, learn at least a bit of finesse and I feel like there's far more room for learning in the God of War or DMC games than there is in the Arkham games. What I've played of Assassin's Creed also doesn't seem to be much better, though that game doesn't seem so bent on fighting.

It's worth noting that I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough of Arkham Asylum. It's the furthest thing from a bad game there is, it's pretty damned good, and taken as a whole it's at least on par with (or better than) God of War, and it's definitely better than Devil May Cry's often horrendous level design, bad camera, and stupid puzzles. Still, the God of War and DMC games have superbly refined (and very different) combat systems with what I feel like is far more room for learning, improvement, and most importantly finesse and skill.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti

@believer258:

/shrug Well that's how it felt to me. I was a complete newbie when it came to action games coming into the GoW series and played them all straight. 99% of the time i mashed out the exact same combos occasionally blocking or dodging. Just like on normal batman run you occasionally dodge or counter or in case of AC do specific counters. Didn't really feel like i needed much skill to finish any GoW game on it's normal setting, just being on the ball with dodge/counter from time to time.

To me Batman:AC combat shines on newgame+ and harder challenge rooms specifically if you want to get all the medals. To call it mashy on those would be extremely unfair.

Arkham Asylum taken alone I would agree with you, no questions asked, is inferior in combat to GoW. But the developers added way more depth and difficulty for those seeking it in City.

Again haven't played DMC series outside of one PC port which i barely touched, so can't speak on that. (tho by general acclaim that seems to be the high watermark for a lot of people)

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JackG100

BATMAN!

Ass Creeds "Wait and counter them off one by one" did nothing for me.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Other. 

@Icemael said:

I'd put just about every good Japanese melee combat system (and some Western ones too) way, way above all three of those. Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, the Souls games, God Hand etc.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Seppli

Ass Creed feels too random in what works and what doesn't work against the various types of enemies. And it doesn't punish for mistakes. Switching up weapons and gadgets in-combat is tedious and accompanied by pausing the action. For the most parts, one can cheese the hell out of combat.

Batman however has way clearer basic combat. I know at any given time what'll work and what won't work. Batman has countless gadgets at his disposal, which all can be used at any given time, without pausing the action, and often in multiple ways. Confident and slick.

Didn't play Spiderman, but I doubt it can stand up to the slickest and smoothest and cleanest melee combat system to date. Simple to get started, yet complex and deep and rewarding to master - delivering hand-to-hand combat in a perfect flow and with beautful and kinetic and dynamic visuals. Some of the Combat Challenges have Batman fight almost Dynasty Warrior sized crowds - and the mechanics hold up perfectly - at that scale, I've never felt as much in control.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blueaniman93

I don't know if hidden blade assassinations count, but even if they didn't Assassin's Creed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7: The Captain America game. Has the same sticky guy to guy combat and timing based counters.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By nightriff

Why is Amazing Spiderman in this? And I would say I enjoyed Batman the most but I really didn't like Arkham City that well. I enjoy the combat from that series for the ability to hunt people down and I felt they got away from that in the second one and wanted you to hand to hand beat everyone.

While Assassins Creed isn't a fantastic combat system by any means I do enjoy countering, lots of cool kills (Short Blade is my weapon of choice). Especially when I get into a groove and just own a bunch of dudes quickly without taking damage, pretty cool feeling.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#50  Edited By StarvingGamer

I voted for Batman, but really, Bayonetta.