#1 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

as far as im concerd, CAPCOM. all of thier music has a distictive sound to it.sure,it borders on the cheesy somtimes but its good. Rockstar would be number 1 but alot of their stuff they just use.

#2 Edited by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

I cant say developer, but the Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack is some amazing original game music.

If we're talking unoriginal music, Remedy utilise Poets Of The Fall wonderfully. And Jet Set Radio Future had a great compilation of tracks... apart from that one song.

#3 Edited by AltonBrown (951 posts) -
#4 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

After trying out, playing, and finishing Ys Origin, I'm going to have to go with Falcom.

Because more RPGs need more...rock music? I don't even know how to describe it. But if you can imagine hacking and slashing and always attacking to the sound of speed metal, it's kinda like that. And it's awesome.

#5 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

Square-Enix, IMO.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenix

#6 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@AltonBrown: It sure does, I got about half-way into the game before deciding to buy the soundtrack for about 20 pounds, which I felt pretty great about seeing as how there's around 90 songs there! The composer must have spent years writing all that stuff. Unfortunately XIII-2 was more hit or miss, still some great stand out tracks though

#7 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Gotta say Squaresoft/Square/Square Enix.

Nintendo coming in a close second.

#8 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

It's not about the developers, but the composers that they get.

Atlus' Shoji Meguro

The dudes who did the Okami soundtrack

Square Enix's Yoko Shimomura and Nobuo Uematsu

All those classic Nintendo composers

Rockstar usually gets some talented dudes to do their music

etc

#9 Edited by believer258 (12100 posts) -

Bungie (Martin O' Donnel) and Square (Nobuo Uematsu)

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

Square Enix by a mile. So many quality Square soundtracks over the years.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Supergiant.

#12 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1087 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

After trying out, playing, and finishing Ys Origin, I'm going to have to go with Falcom.

Because more RPGs need more...rock music? I don't even know how to describe it. But if you can imagine hacking and slashing and always attacking to the sound of speed metal, it's kinda like that. And it's awesome.

I will also go with this statement.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Atlus obviously. Even when Meguro isn't doing it (devil survivor 1 and 2) it's still really good.

#14 Posted by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

Square by a long shot. I can't think of too many western publishers who would even crack the top ten in terms of consistently great soundtracks.

#15 Edited by Encephalon (1309 posts) -

Developers aren't always directly involved in scoring their games. Many composers are not employed exclusively by a dev, but work on contract. Even devs whose games consistently have well-regarded soundtracks, like Square, have seen their stable of composers go freelance in the past couple of years, if they weren't freelance to begin with.

This is like if I said Warner Bros. made the best film scores because I liked Hans Zimmer's work on Inception.

#16 Posted by musclerider (591 posts) -

Falcom because guitars.

#17 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

I heard so much good music from many developers. That I can't really say who makes the best.

#18 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

Why has nobody typed the words "Koji Kondo" yet?

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

A couple people did so indirectly.

#20 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -
#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

The people that did The Witcher 2's soundtrack really surprised me with the quality.

#22 Posted by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

Like me.

#23 Posted by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

Persona Team, Grasshopper, Supergiant.

#24 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Square Enix. You can't beat Nobuo Uematsu, but everyone else they have there are pretty amazing too.

#25 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

Best song in a game evarrr

#26 Posted by omergd1 (116 posts) -

konami

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6389 posts) -

Paradox duhhh.

#28 Posted by Lysergica33 (535 posts) -

Nobuo Uematsu, Austin Wintory and whoever scored Demon's/Dark Souls. The firelink shrine theme haunts me to this day.
Jesper Kyd for runner up.

#29 Posted by Village_Guy (2657 posts) -

The first to enter my mind is Bungie then Blizzard.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

Squarenix games always have some memorable tunes. So thats where i'm throwing my hat.

#31 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Alot of people have some sort of hate of the later final fantasy games but this always for some sort of reason makes me think sqaure enix develop the best music for there games.

#32 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
#33 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -
#34 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

If we're still talking developers, then yeah, Falcom's Soundteam JDK is the right answer.

If you want to talk composers though, we can't forget Jeremy Soule. Guy has credits for the Guild Wars games, all the recent Elder Scrolls, both Icewind Dales, and...Otomedius Excellent. Fun fact too, he did the soundtrack for Secret of Evermore.

Another really great composer is Namco's Keiki Kobayashi. He's the guy behind the soundtracks to Ace Combat, Tekken and Soul Calibur among other things.

#35 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Square, Bungie.

#36 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@LordAndrew said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

Like me.

I know -- just being difficult :).

#37 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

Remedy the first Max Payne is probably my favorite music in any game of all time.

#38 Edited by Cyrus_Saren (539 posts) -

Atlus, and Nintendo.

#39 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Danny Baranowsky is awesome. Also Square Enix.

#40 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -

I guess the better way to word this question would be "which developer puts the best music in their game", as I think most developers outsource to composers to for these kind of things.

#41 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

Nintendo

#42 Posted by JaredA (827 posts) -

Either Team ICO or Supergiant Games.

#43 Posted by MocBucket62 (1262 posts) -

Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Creative Assembly and Bungie come to mind right now.

#44 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

@mscupcakes: As cliche as it is, Braid has a great soundtrack. Lullaby set is a great piece of music.