#1 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5038 posts) -

Sick of all of them so other.

#3 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

Mass Effect blew our minds when the cyclical nature of the universe was revealed... AC pulled a surprise with something that's happening way beyond the secret war between Assassins and Templars...

and Halo 4 built an interesting sci-fi where humans existed before we knew we existed, alongside with those who we thought were way ahead of us technologically.

Which ones' your favourite?

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

D.

Phantasy Star 4.

#5 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I think the precursors of AC are the weakest aspect of its universe.

#6 Posted by Daneian (1228 posts) -

Halo until Halo 4.

#7 Posted by FLStyle (4668 posts) -

Mass Effect had the better back-story, more thorough and extensive, effecting planets and species thousands upon thousands of years over.

Assassin's Creed presented theirs better by giving us very little knowledge and then shocking everyone with the ACII ending.

Never played a Halo game, FPS games give me motion sickness so I can't say.

#8 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Starcraft. The Terran civilization turns out to be descendants of a prison colony exiled far away from Earth's human society millenia ago. The original humans, made up of the intellectuals and philanthropists of the human race after exiling the criminals, are likely experiencing a utopian peace based upon technology and social values far more advanced than any of the petty starcraft races will ever know.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8484 posts) -

I like the design of the Reapers, and the fact that they actually show up on a large scale. I enjoyed the whole story through the trilogy, and Javik appearing in 3 gave you great insight into his civilization.

Halo's mystery was cool, but 4 hasn't been much of a pay off. We'll see how the trilogy goes.

And I think AC is dumb so that's all I got there.

#10 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

This is the answer, it gave me chills

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
Sonic Adventure.
#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

I go with ME, though we all know how that was handled.

Right, guys? Poorly.

#13 Posted by mlarrabee (2932 posts) -

Halo started out best, I think, but their later retconning was a little ham-fisted.

#14 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

No this 

#15 Posted by Rasmoss (455 posts) -
@mlarrabee

Halo started out best, I think, but their later retconning was a little ham-fisted.

I love that the forerunners refer to themselves as the forerunners.
#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10922 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Sonic Adventure.

You couldn't even find a screenshot from the part of the game with the ancient echidna people? Had to get Big in there?

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Sonic Adventure.

Had to get Big in there?

I only got Big in here because he's going to be gunned to death. That's something everybody can get behind.

#18 Edited by kerse (2112 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 alone was better than the other choices at this.

#19 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

@Venatio: Yeah, that moment is really awesome and one of the strongest in all of the games. Kinda bums me out that there's nothing even close to that in 2 and 3, there was so much potential...

#20 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I think the ancient "aliens" and the 2012 end of the world stuff in AC is the worst part of that games fiction. I would have liked it more if the games stuck with the original games plot about Templars vs Assassins for control of powerful alien tech and about free will and all that jazz.

Halo was fine up to Halo 4 were they made all that crap in the books into proper game canon that cannot be ignored or undone.

Mass Effect does it best because it was all so well built up and told in ME1. You also get Reaper reveal and Sovereign is such a fantastic villain to interact with and you only do it for about five minutes.

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10922 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Sonic Adventure.

Had to get Big in there?

I only got Big in here because he's going to be gunned to death. That's something everybody can get behind.

Big can't be gunned down! He's voiced by Jon St. John!

#22 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

The twist in AC2 was really awesome but I think that plotline took away from the Templars vs Assassins stuff wich was really interesting already but I gotta go with Mass Effect when you actually meet the "precursor" he's kinda awesome , a total jerk but still a really interesting character.

#23 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

More people need to play Leviathan. Actually, anyone who played ME3 should play Leviathan.

#24 Edited by Encephalon (1251 posts) -

Mass Effect, on the strength of that first game.

The precursor part is easily the worst part of the AC fiction. Halo handles theirs well enough, but Mass Effect is more fleshed out. That's not to say any of them are super great, naturally. All of them are wallowing a bit too comfortably in pretty tired genre tropes. Games should probably give the precursors a break.

#25 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Of the ones in the poll, Mass Effect.

For me personally, Freespace. Some of it is because it was the first franchise I encountered that had this sort of thing going on (really, really old spacefaring races that directly or indirectly influenced other, younger races). And some of it is because you could never really pin down the motives of the Ancients and the Shivans. Maybe more would have been revealed in a third game, but unlike Freespace, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Halo all revealed what really went down so long ago. Freespace just gave vague hints, especially with the monologue at the end of Freespace 2.

#26 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2028 posts) -

I agree with the Mass Effect franchise. The realization of its backstory was definitely strong across all three games, and it was far more developed, fleshed-out, and "complete" across its games than any other games mentioned. From what I hear about Leviathan, it's as complete as it'll ever be, now.

#27 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Agree that the First Civilization is the worst part about Assassin's Creed. I mean, it's not terrible or anything, but I couldn've done without it. As a matter of fact, I'd be perfectly happy with just having the story of the various historical assassins told, no Desmond.

Forerunners are alright, but I never got that deep into Halo lore.

So I go with Mass Effect. Always thought the Protheans were really interesting and the stuff you find out about them in From Ashes was awesome.

#28 Posted by Raven10 (1769 posts) -

I say Mass Effect although I haven't played Halo 4 or AC3. Although the ending was a bit of a let down, the story up to that point was great, and the big reveal in the first game was seriously one of the greatest moments in game history.

#29 Posted by csl316 (8484 posts) -
@Rasmoss
@mlarrabee

I love that the forerunners refer to themselves as the forerunners.
I try not to think about that. It's for the best.
#30 Posted by Blackout62 (1339 posts) -

The Jak & Daxter series.

#31 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

The revelation is easily the best in Assassin's Creed. Desmond.

#32 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Man, having to choose between Halo and Mass Effect here is really hard for me. I love me some Mass Effect fiction but it just doesn't beat Halo in the end. The forerunners and all that shit is just incredibly cool to me.

#33 Posted by Kaiserreich (694 posts) -

Definitely not Assassins Creed.

#34 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2700 posts) -

See I always felt the pre-story of Beat 'Em And Eat 'Em needed to be fulfilled by another prequel game.
Why was the man on the roof?  Why where the women down there on the street?  What was the purpose of catching?  There is a painfully biter-sweet story there about their vastly separate lives collide in interweaving story of loss and redemption.

#35 Posted by Gaff (1714 posts) -

D. Metroid.

#36 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Had to get Big in there?

Care to tell me the story of Sonic's ancient alien civilization?

@Venatio said:

Jax

and this?

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@themangalist:

It's Assassin's Creed with echidnas. The Chaos Emeralds are Pieces of Eden, and Eggman's working for Abstergo.

#38 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The first Mass Effect alone is better than any other choice.

#39 Posted by beckley205 (310 posts) -

Jak and Daxter: The original precursor story

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I haven't played ACIII or Halo 4's story mode, but the only game that seemed to make it all fit was Mass Effect. From Ashes included some really awesome precursor reveals.

#41 Posted by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

While I enjoyed the Mass Effect stuff, I'll still go ahead and say Halo. Really want to read the Forerunner books by Greg Bear; everything I've heard about them sounds really intriguing.

#42 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -
@Gaff
D. Metroid.
This. Surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier.
#43 Posted by Zippedbinders (986 posts) -

@Venatio said:

No this
#44 Posted by Andorski (5290 posts) -

Call of Duty. It was like... almost real, ya' know?

#45 Posted by Zippedbinders (986 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Had to get Big in there?

Care to tell me the story of Sonic's ancient alien civilization?

@Venatio said:

Jax

and this?

The Precursors in Jak and Daxter are just that, a precursor race who left behind all sorts of tech and ruins. Except they're totally still around and you meet a handful of them in the third game. Its pretty much the best precursor reveal ever.

#46 Posted by Nephrahim (1136 posts) -

I was a huge fan of the Reaper story, until Mass effect 3 where they honestly explained too much about them and it kind of removed the "Beyond your comprehension" Cthulhu style menace from them.

I still give them the vote though.

#47 Posted by Commisar123 (1791 posts) -

Halo, because I feel like it was the best integrated into the fiction and story, though I think the actual story in ME is far better.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:

@Venatio said:

No this
Came to say the exact same thing.
#49 Edited by shadowwolf9 (159 posts) -

I chose Mass Effect. No question. The story of Halo is sloppy at best. If reading the books gives me a better idea of the story than playing the actual game, the developers are doing something wrong. The books accompany the game franchise, not the other way around. On the other hand, I can't think of a better fleshed out story or universe this generation than Mass Effect. The original game built a firm foundation (the Vigil sequence still gives me chills) and had one of the best reveals in game history. I may be of the unpopular opinion, but I found the ending of ME3 to be very satisfying as well. Bioware may have lifted the curtain on the mystery of the Reapers, but I couldn't see it ending any other way.

The Leviathan DLC makes the universe even stronger. I personally can't wait for another installment in the series. I've had the first book sitting on my night stand for 5 years. It might be time to give it a go.

edit: I chose not to comment on AC. I like the games, but they shouldn't even be considered in this discussion.