which game you preordered were you most disappointed by?

• 129 results
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

so aliens came out and people were mad because it was a shit game and blah blah blah. Anyone who preordered Aliens, you have my sympathy!

(even if I think that was a bad move even before the game came out)

but then I looked at my own preorders... not a whole lot, and all of the games I've preordered I liked. but the one I dislike the most is probably civ 5. I've put 50 hours into it though! Just that I like the other games more. it's because I'm smart and only preorder games that have seen lengthy demo of the final product, such as CK2, or games that have came out already (like devil survivor 2).

so, how about you?

(also I hope the phrasing of the title is alright I can't think of a better way to say it but it still seems a little awkward)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

The Last Story, since it's a crappy fairy tale that makes my gaming shelf go all wonky (I have to stack games on top of other games).

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mass Effect 3

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

I only pre-order digital PC games a day or two before they come out if i'm 100% convinced i'll pick it up day 1 and they offer some sort of discount or interesting bonus content (but mostly discounts). I don't recall being disappointed.

I pre-ordered Bad Company 2 to get access to the open beta a month before launch and use that as a demo. I cancelled the pre-order once i figured i didn't like the Battlefield gameplay.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Ive always enjoyed the games i pre-ordered but I still feel like i wasted money on the $80 version of operation raccoon city

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are way more, but Left 4 Dead 2 springs to mind as disappointing.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 4. I haven't played it in a couple of months, while I played Halo 3 years after release. I just don't think it's that fun.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: goddamnit why couldn't I think of the word disappointed...

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@animasta said:

(also I hope the phrasing of the title is alright I can't think of a better way to say it but it still seems a little awkward)

Now that we can edit the thread titles, you could try "Which game that you pre-ordered have you liked the least?" or somesuch.

HTH

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

Now that we can edit the thread titles, you could try "Which game that you pre-ordered have you liked the least?" or somesuch.

HTH

I fixed it betterer!

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

HTH

I fixed it betterer!

Erm.. it's more betterer ACTUALLY! Jeez!!!!1!!! [table flip ascii]

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Homefront.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Other than Duke Nukem, Modern Warfare 3 probably.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

HTH

Or, better yet, "What is the most disappointing game you have pre-ordered?"

On-topic: I have pre-ordered a few games in the past but I wasn't terribly disappointed by any of them. I have since just stopped pre-ordering games.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jack268

Crysis 2

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

metroid other M, couldn't wait to sell it back, actually ended up with a bonus $5 on it due to some weird amazon promotion at the time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Mafia II - I was really surprised by how good Mafia 1 ended up being. That game had it's fair share of issues and it definitely has a slow start but like a fine orchestra the slow beginning culminates in such a magnificent crescendo of plot and gameplay that I was genuinely moved and remember it as the best ending in a video game to this day.

The second game didn't fare as well, and not because of the common complaint of not enough side missions in the open world segments, but because the plot just dithers and doesn't go anywhere. At a certain point it even backs up on itself. In the original game you rose above the ranks and finally made it to the top of the family. In the sequel you keep getting jerked around and never make it anywhere, not to mention the abysmal ending that was supposed to be better explained with DLC that never came.

I was honestly pretty excited for the game, bought the collectors edition and everything. Ended up being an average game, but in terms of expectations a gigantic letdown.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

HTH

On-topic: I have pre-ordered a few games in the past but I wasn't terribly disappointed by any of them. I have since just stopped pre-ordering games.

Don't you start! Or I may be forced to pull some Ninja precise skillz and drop "Your most disappointing pre-order?"

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands 2? Probably that one. Or Atelier Iris 3?

Borderlands 2 just wasn't my thing. I liked the first one but kind of can't believe how much I couldn't stand more of the same. I pre-ordered for the Mechromancer and barely played that class at all. I was already fed up with the game when it came out.

Atelier Iris 3 was just really boring and changed so much from it's predecessor that it didn't even feel like the same game (outside of battles).

Those are the games that burned me the most that I can remember off the top of my head.

Ive always enjoyed the games i pre-ordered but I still feel like i wasted money on the $80 version of operation raccoon city

I paid $20 for that game and I still think I wasted my money. I even went into the purchase feeling it would be a waste but I didn't quite know how much a waste it was at the time. I played like four missions and had experienced enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders 2

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Uncharted 3 because it revealed my PS3 drive to be busted and wouldn't work.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wacomole

... but to get back on topic.

I've actually been pretty satisfied with just about all of the games that I have pre-ordered.

So, of the games that I have pre-ordered and not actually cancelled before I received them, I'd have to say that (If I'm being honest) the one I've been the least satisfied (but not actually disappointed) with was Gran Turismo 5

That of course didn't stop me playing it for many, many hours and still picking it up every now and again.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Epic Mickey.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@moleyuk said:

@believer258 said:

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

HTH

Don't you start! Or I may be forced to pull some Ninja precise skillz and drop "Your most disappointing pre-order?"

If you want to pare it down to the barest of basics, you could just say "Your worst pre-order?"

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunter5024

Fire Emblem Awakening, because it took a fucking week to show up. Fantastic game though.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wacomole

@moleyuk said:

@believer258 said:

@moleyuk said:
@animasta said:

HTH

If you want to pare it down to the barest of basics, you could just say "Your worst pre-order?"

GNYAAARR!!!!!! [double table flip with shaking fist]

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Front Mission 4, and it was the first game I ever pre-ordered since I got a pretty sweet demo for so doing. The demo for Front Mission 3 was like 5 hours long and the demo for 4 was still like 2-3 (and came with the shitty FFXII demo if I'm not mistaken); Dark Souls is the only other game I've pre-ordered and I played that for 200 hours straight(though I haven't played it much since then). FM4 is actually a solid game and substantially better than XCOM for example, just FM3 was 160 hours of content and FM4 is 25; at the time I always sought after the longest playtime imagineable with games like Dragon Quest VIII and the aforementioned Final Fantasy XII. Of course I'd still hate to buy a 4 hour game at full price but something like Vanquish for 20 bucks or free on PS+ is fine.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By BeachThunder

Possibly The Cave, even though I only paid 10ish dollars.

What was the original title of the thread?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed III and Darksiders 2

Both games that are largely alright in theory but in practice fail to deliver on many levels.

Ps.: I got a Vita recently and played through Assassin's Creed: Liberation and I really like that game, if you like Assassin's Creed and have a Vita, go play it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homefront from Steam, for some reason I was impressed by the E3 walkthrough of that game but playing it boiled it down to a generic shooter with bare minimum visuals. Next to that would be my pre-order of Fable 3 which didn't capture my interest when I first received it and it was a year after that I decided to sit down and play it for real only to discover that the game was really short and rather boring as a whole.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe final fantasy 13? it wasn't a colossal letdown- more of a sigh and 'meh.' i don't really preorder games though. day 1 digital makes it all somewhat pointless.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Assassin's Creed. That game has forever made me wait for reviews and no longer pre-order games ever again.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BRINK.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon because they stripped out the semi-open world structure which broke the gameplay up and lovable super Japanese plots for a generic Call of Duty story and more linear gameplay. Its a real shame as the dogfight stuff was really fun and cinematic, if you don't get motion sick.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon because they stripped out the semi-open world structure which broke the gameplay up and lovable super Japanese plots for a generic Call of Duty story and more linear gameplay. Its a real shame as the dogfight stuff was really fun and cinematic, if you don't get motion sick.

This. and Fucking Colonial Marines too. Also the TellTale Jurassic Park game, but that was probably more my fault for having higher expectations for the gameplay and story than i reasonably should have.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wacomole

@lord_xp said:

BRINK.

Oh you poor man!

I hear there was a support group for therapy, but unfortunately most of the people in it turned out to be bots.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only two games I've ever preordered were WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the Gamecube (I rented and enjoyed the first one so I figured what the hell, got a sweet Stacey Keibler poster with it lol) and Fable II (Fable is my favorite Xbox game and I got to play Pub Games all day).

Both games were fine, I guess. Fable II didn't live up to the first game because of how incredibly drastic the changes to core gameplay and concepts were, but I still enjoyed my time with it. DoR2: whatever, it was a wrestling game.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only preordered one game so far. At least I think I did. I definitely preordered N64 and I think I preordered Mario 64 for it. So technically Mario 64 disappointed me the most of all I preordered. But I can't really say that I've been disappointed.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

BRINK.

Oh man. That wasn't a great game. :/

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

The last game I pre-ordered was ME3. I read all the nonsense about the ending, picked up the game and still have haven't played it.

I generally avoid pre-ordering games now.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DragonAge 2. Fuck dat game >:(

Also I think I may have pre-ordered LA Noire - based on Brad's review, also consequently why I don't trust GB reviews any more - and that game made me not want to live.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman: Absolution.

I actually felt offended. I cannot get over how the developers deviated from their original set-up for the Hitman games. Do not get me wrong, a little improvement never hurt anybody, but the way that Hitman: Absolution turned into a suit-n-tie version of Splinter Cell just left me feeling cheated and resentful (okay, maybe a strong word). I pre-ordered the game of Steam, did not think that I could cancel it. Wish I had been able to do so.

That is properly the only game I regret having pre-ordered. Also pre-ordered Fallout New Vegas, Company of Heroes 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a ton of other games. Loved every single one of them!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock 2; I thought there was no way another Bioshock game could be bad, but 2K Marin sure stepped up to the plate to make sure it was a horrible mess on all fronts.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at my pre orders for the next month I have SimCity playing the beta got me really excited for that game. Ditto for Heart of the Swarm I haven been playing that for the last few months and I would feel dirty if I did not buy the game. But as a rule I only pre order if I can play a demo or a beta first and see what the game is like. But back on topic the last game iwas disappointed buy that I pre orderd was knights of the old republic that game should not have been realsed when it was. The game was buggy and unfinished.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pyrodactyl

@conzed92 said:

Hitman: Absolution.

I actually felt offended. I cannot get over how the developers deviated from their original set-up for the Hitman games. Do not get me wrong, a little improvement never hurt anybody, but the way that Hitman: Absolution turned into a suit-n-tie version of the bad Splinter Cell games (double agent onward) just left me feeling cheated and resentful (okay, maybe a strong word). I pre-ordered the game of Steam, did not think that I could cancel it. Wish I had been able to do so.

That is properly the only game I regret having pre-ordered. Also pre-ordered Fallout New Vegas, Company of Heroes 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a ton of other games. Loved every single one of them!

Yep, nailed it.

Also fixed.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Company of Heroes 2 isn't out yet how... I .. Hmm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdoms of Amalur.

I was still pretty pleased with the game, but I never thought I would wish a game were shorter.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You should never pre-order games, guys.