Which games from the Midweek Mystery sale are worth getting?

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I'm interested in games like this for sure and have only played Sam & Max, Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, and The Wolf Among Us.

What do yall think is worth getting from this sale?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By matatat

My recommendations are:

1. Wolf Among Us. Like @alex has mentioned it holds up better when you have access to all the episodes at the same time. I also really like it.
  2. L.A. Noire. Pretty classic murder mystery game, I love that type of stuff so I really enjoyed this game. I know some people found it maybe a bit dry or mechanically not good. The mechanics are kinda wonky but they're manageable.
  3. Gunpoint. I guess its sorta a mystery game but the story is just sort of silly and lighthearted. The gameplay is amazing though, couldn't put it down until I was done.
  4. Gemini Rue. This is just straight up an adventure game in sorta a neo-noir dystopian future somewhat similar to things like Blade Runner. I thought it was really awesome. The writing is pretty good and the voice acting is decent.
  5. Crimes and Punishment. I started playing this a little bit ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. The only thing I hate is theres a lot of transitioning between destinations and sometimes you want to go back somewhere and make sure you didn't miss something and the load times are kinda rough.

I've never played any of the Sam and Max Telltale joints so I'm not sure what those are like. I LOVED Max Payne 1 & 2, I thought 3 was okay but I got pretty bored with it and just sorta forced myself to the finish because I thought I was close. Might be worth playing but my advice is likewarm on the experience.

As a runner up I'd suggest the Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect game. It was the first Tex Murphy game I've played and it was pretty fun. There are definitely some bad parts and its pretty cheesy, but its endearing in a way.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@matatat: I agree with Gunpoint and Max Payne 1 & 2. Played those myself and really enjoyed each of them.

I personally quite liked Alan Wake as well as American Nightmare even though those games are somewhat divisive. Those discounts aren't great compared to what they where at before many times however.

Back in the day Runaway was one of the oldschool point-and-click adventures I liked playing a lot. I never followed up on the first one so I don't know the rest of the franchise or Yesterday from the same dev. It's pretty much standard traditional adventure gameplay but I liked the setting and characters.

Hm, now I have to decide if this'll be the day I actually try LA Noire or one of those intimidating Wargames.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

Alan Wake + American Nightmare, L.A Noire, Gunpoint, The Wolf Among Us and Sam and Max Seasons 1 & 2 are all fantastic.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Any of the Sam and Max games worth it?

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I highly recommend Gemini Rue if you like adventure games. I also love Myst, but that game is definitely not for everyone...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi
@nightriff said:

Any of the Sam and Max games worth it?

The first 2 seasons definitely. They are super funny and the puzzles are surprisingly logical given the tone and scenarios.