• 77 results
#1 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

#2 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

i would say the 360.

PS3 ports seem to always have framerate problems and stuff.

#3 Posted by IBurningStar (2172 posts) -

PS3, no contest. I will point to user interface as one example. 360's has only gotten worse and worse, and now we have the current abomination. I think the online experience is better and I prefer how they handle the store and things like Netflix. When I go to shop for a game to download I am clearly presented with information on what is new and popular and what is on sale, etc. Also, Blueray. Not having to change discs is pretty sweet. So is the better picture quality.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

PS3, go and play the original Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man and see how awesome they are.

#5 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

I don't really see the differnce, so you should have added "Neither". I will say though that the PS3 has been and still is better quality and better tech. They both do exactly what they are supposed to do, so who cares?

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

People will vote to the console they own. 360's gonna win!

#7 Posted by potatomash3r (126 posts) -

PS3 only because it can play blu-ray.

#8 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I own both. PS3 wins.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

360 only because they update the interface every year. Ps3 wins on looks though

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

PS3, no contest. I will point to user interface as one example. 360's has only gotten worse and worse, and now we have the current abomination. I think the online experience is better and I prefer how they handle the store and things like Netflix. When I go to shop for a game to download I am clearly presented with information on what is new and popular and what is on sale, etc. Also, Blueray. Not having to change discs is pretty sweet. So is the better picture quality.

The hell are you talking about? PSN is a fucking abortion. Its like trying navigate a website designed in 1991 with a controlller.

Also its 'Blu-Ray'.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I also own both

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

PS3. Uncharted is leaps and bounds better visually than Gears of War, and, um, do they even have any first party games at this point?

@doobie said:

i would say the 360.

PS3 ports seem to always have framerate problems and stuff.

You're kinda missing the point with that comment. They are ports. That means they were coded for a different platform then made to work for the other at the last minute. A port will never be as good as if they game itself was actually created specifically for the console.

#13 Posted by Duskwind (141 posts) -

I own both and prefer the 360. It has more games that I enjoy and I prefer the controller. In the end, it boils down to personal preference. I have no desire to bash PS3 lovers.

#14 Edited by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

I'll go against the majority of comments here and say the 360.

Mainly because I feel that the 360 has gone well beyond what I expected from it while the PS3 (for me anyways) has never truly lived up to the pre-release hype.

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

Despite the PS3 being slightly more capable in the areas it should count, multiplatform games outside of Japan still more often than not have *something* wrong with them, usually framerate issues. The more standard hardware in the 360 still wins, but in the hands of the right developer, the PS3 can be straight-up better. The PS3 also has Blu-Ray, and anyone who's played a recent game on the 360 knows that even a large hard disc can't save you from the need to swap discs. It seems so archaic in an era of massive storage options in even optical disc media, or digital downloads with the hard drive capacities to sustain so many of them.

Both consoles aged incredibly well graphically, but they're way beyond their limits now. I play PC wherever I can because the difference is once again night and day in terms of framerate at greater levels of graphical fidelity.

#16 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Pc.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

360 still isn't any slouch. Multiplatform games still consistently run better on it (Mass Effect 3, Skyrim). However, that doesn't excuse the horrible interface it has now and the severe lack of exclusives to wave around. Gears of War 3, Halo, and Forza is all I can really name at the moment.

This is opposed to the PS3, which still has the same slick interface that it started with and whose exclusives have only blossomed and gotten better. Plus, its exclusives are all varied and different. You can get everything from Ratchet and Clank to Resistance 3, only on the PS3. I didn't find the Resistance series or even the flagship Uncharted series to be especially endearing, but many people do and the console has its merits. It didn't during the first few years but since 2009 the PS3 has ramped up to beat the 360 as the better console of this generation.

Does this mean I regret owning a 360? No! Not at all. I like my 360 a whole lot. I play it often. And my brother has a PS3, so I'm not actually missing out on anything important. Still, it's unfortunate that the 360, which was so great for so long, doesn't have as many selling points against the PS3 as it once did.

#18 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I say PS3 mainly because the UI on 360 has gotten bloated and shitty and the PS3 is still churning out some awesome first party games while the 360 first party games have left something to be desired. Both have aged really well though, considering how old they are.

#19 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
@ProfessorEss

I'll go against the majority of comments here and say the 360.

Mainly because I feel that the 360 has gone well beyond what I expected from it while the PS3 (for me anyways) has never truly lived up to the pre-release hype.

Your talking about tha bathroom-duck-water physics thing right?
#20 Posted by Humanity (9214 posts) -

@EVO said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I own both. PS3 wins.

I own both. 360 wins.

Trumped.

#21 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

You should've provided a better setup for this question.

Are we talking strictly about the hardware (incl. OS)?

Are we talking overall software library?

Are we talking exclusive games?

Are we talking how the experience of using the system has evolved since it launched?

Do we take additional peripherals into account?

What are talking about here. Most comments so far are simply answers to "which do I like better" not a discussion of specific topics with predetermined criteria.

#22 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

fuck, clicked 360 by mistake and I can't take it back. PS3 all the way.

#23 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

I don't really care.

#24 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

All things considered I'd say they're about even, with maybe a slight nudge for the PS3 just because it has so many varied exclusives.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

The PS3 X-media bar is better than the current 360 UI. Microsoft seems to be making things harder to navigate with each new update. The upside to them however is at least we don't have to install a new firmware every 3 weeks. My original PS3 lasted just short of 5 years while my 360 is now close to 6. The 360 did red-ring twice however and still roars like a jet plane when running. Graphically, I'd say the PS3 has shown the most improvement over the years but it still suffers from unstable framerates occasionally especially on multiplatform games. I feel like my current PS3 could continue to entertain me for another three years with new games. Conversely, I think we're close to needing an updated Xbox; a holiday 2013 release maybe?

#26 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Neither, I think. They are both showing limitations of their respective hardware.  

@MysteriousBob said:

@IBurningStar said:

The hell are you talking about? PSN is a fucking abortion. Its like trying navigate a website designed in 1991 with a controlller.

Also its 'Blu-Ray'.

Eh, I have to agree with Bob on this one. The navigation on PlayStation 3 is pretty bad. Trying to find specific things can be a pain in the ass, and the PlayStation Store has buttons strewn all over the place. For the 360, they put a bunch of bullshit in front of you, but their organization makes sense from a categorical point of view. I know if I need to find any TV settings, I know specifically where to go for that.
#27 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

I own both, and ever since I got my 360 I hardly play my PS3 anymore. That says something, I guess. I vastly prefer the 360 controller, but that has nothing to do with ageing.

I swear I'll go back and play the Resistance series. Someday.

#28 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Well I played Uncharted 1 and 2, Killzone 2 and Act 1 of MGS4 and sold it so 360

#29 Posted by Franstone (1120 posts) -

Even as recent as Mass Effect 3 everyone is saying the 360 has better frame rates.

This seems to be the case for most 3rd party multi-platform titles.

I owned both. 360 wins.

I only use PC for now.

I win...

; )

#30 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

At least MS has tried to evolve the UI of the 360. The PS3 is the same PSP UI. Old 360 game still look great (ie. Oblivion, CoD2).

I will give the PS3 props for blu-ray though. But for gaming the 360 wins.

#31 Posted by GangsterPanda (25 posts) -

I own both, and my nominee is the Xbox 360. My PS3 is a Blu-Ray player with some added features.

That said, one of the reasons I prefer the Xbox 360 is because I feel that the Xbox 360 controller, minus the DPAD, is superior to the PS3 in every way. It just feels a lot better in my hands.

Another reason why my vote goes to the Xbox 360, is because it's faster from boot to play time, especially if there's any updates to be applied. The PS3 patch system simply takes ages.

#32 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

I own both, and the 360 is overwhelmingly the winner here. Consistent dashboard updates to keep things fresh and modern, better online connectivity(no going down for maintenance), system/game updates install much quicker and easier(every time I have to download an update on ps3 I cringe).

@Hizang said:

PS3, go and play the original Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man and see how awesome they are.

Yikes... to me, Resistance has not aged well at all, very archaic gameplay and visuals (though you can see how far they've pushed this generation with Resistance 3).

#33 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

Own both. In general, PS3.

When I voted just now it was 50/50. Amusing.

#34 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

PSN is a nightmare these days, but Xbox 360's turned its whole front-end to complete nonsense. In terms of technical ability, both suffer in comparison to PC, but the PS3 does have more issues these days.

I'm giving PS3 the tip of the hat thanks to exclusive titles. There's never really been a 360 exclusive game that remained exclusive and I out-and-out loved.

#35 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

I have never understood people who thinks the PS3 setup is bad, I can understand the store might be a bit more difficult to navigate, but the Xbox dashboard right now is the real abomination, absolutely horrible, it used to be pretty good. Also, my Xbox has been to repair 7 times with issues no matter how well I've been treating it, PS3 = 0, plus Xbox makes an almost unbearable amount of noise. PS3 has aged better.

#36 Posted by coryrx8 (175 posts) -

I'm assuming that "aged better" means "looks less obsolete." My answer to that would be neither. In terms of the main menu interface, both consoles are a mess. XMB is the colossal abortion that it always was, and Microsoft abandoned the one salvageable interface that they had in order to make their console more Kinect friendly. Woohoo. In terms of graphics, both consoles are looking equally aged. Like developers, engineers, and everybody else outside of Sony's marketing machine have been telling us since 2006, the two consoles are technologically on par. They both maxed out back in 2008-2009 and are really only making incremental graphical improvements. No matter which machine I boot up I feel like I'm playing with yesterday's technology, and I'm ready for a new generation of consoles.

#37 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Neither, I think. They are both showing limitations of their respective hardware.

@MysteriousBob said:

@IBurningStar said:

Also its 'Blu-Ray'.

Eh, I have to agree with Bob on this one. The navigation on PlayStation 3 is pretty bad. Trying to find specific things can be a pain in the ass, and the PlayStation Store has buttons strewn all over the place. For the 360, they put a bunch of bullshit in front of you, but their organization makes sense from a categorical point of view. I know if I need to find any TV settings, I know specifically where to go for that.

I have the exact opposite issue, maybe it's just what you're used to. I find the PSN Store really easy to navigate (it's not just a web page anymore...) and I'm very comfortable with the XMB.

#38 Posted by Fearbeard (830 posts) -

I'm gonna go with Xbox 360. I feel it has evolved quite a bit since launch. I also feel it's a more cohesive online experience, and offers a much better designed store (though they did try to destroy the games marketplace with this last update, though it's slightly better now that they removed the "game type" subcategory.)

#39 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

I play my games on one bluray, not 2-n dvd's.

#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

Where's the option for both? Game-wise they are nearly identical. PS3 has the blu-ray player. Xbox has the better online and app experience. It's a wash to me.

#41 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

Voted PS3 because I believe it is the more capable system and it really shines when a game is developed specifically for PS3. Compare the 360 exclusives to the PS3 exclusives and you can see the PS3 is the stronger console. It seems the 360 has run out of legs in terms of hardware capabilities while the PS3 could still have a couple quality years ahead.

HOWEVER, play any multiplatform game and the 360 version is almost always better.

#42 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Well I don't care much for the technical stuff in that sense I think both consoles still deliver great experiences but when I had a 360 and played for longer than 3 horus I was in constant fear of the thing getting overheat and It was noisy as hell , the fix that stuff in the slim version but it was too late for me, so when it eventually broke I decided to buy a PS3 instead of getting a new Xbox. The PS3 XMB is fine but the older Xbox 360 dashboard was quicker to load and navigate, mandatory installs are a pain in the butt , on the other hand I'm more interested in the Playstation 3 exclusives and not paying to use the online service wich I mostly only use for downloading demos and patches so paying for that dosn't seem like a great deal, so even with it's flaws I'll take the PS3 over a 360 so it aged better in that sense for me.

#43 Edited by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Less hacks and better peripherals on PS3.

I tend to prefer the 360 interface, the controller, and I think it has a better suite of online services, a better arcade library, and *gasp* an actual selection of last gen games for download; but that's always been the case. The PS3 has aged better simply in terms of being less susceptible to hacks and more open to third party innovation (see Logitech G27, cross-platform play for Portal 2). MS screws the pooch by being open to hackers and closed to third parties. Not that PS3 isn't, just not quite as bad.

Still, I plan on buying the new Xbox right out of the gate and waiting a few extra years on the PS4...but the PS3 has aged better.

#44 Posted by BigSocrates (349 posts) -

I own both but voted for Ps3 for a bunch of reasons, including much easier/cheaper hard drive replacement (neither machine was launched with an understanding of how much DLC/Arcade/PSN games one might accumulate over 6 years. Especially now that some games are clocking in at 2 gigs. That's 10% of a standard Xbox hard drive!) Blu-Ray, and the fact that it seems like developers are still squeezing more out of the PS3's complicated architecture, while the Xbox has been maxed out for awhile. That being said, I will admit that I play my Xbox more, mostly because of the controller and the lack of the Ps3's annoying firmware updates.

Oh, and I don't understand why we're arguing about interfaces when they're both piss poor at this point. The PS3 interface was always crappy with all kinds of settings and stuff buried, and the Xbox's new interface resembles nothing so much as a spammer's webpage you click on by mistake from a legitimate site.

It's like Microsoft wants to sell me everything under the sun and will only grudgingly let me use the stuff I've bought. On the 'home' screen for my Xbox there are 5 boxes, 3 of which are advertisements/notifications and 2 of which allow me to access SOME of my content. Want to look at ALL the games I own on the machine? Then I can scroll on over to games, 4 tabs away, and click on the tiny My Games box. Seriously? Meanwhile I have to deal with MS trying to sell me music and video content I have zero interest in just so I can play a couple levels of Splosion man or Shadow Complex or whatever.

Sony, for its part, doesn't care what I do but it's not going to make it easy for me. No sir! Realize that the credit card you had linked to your account was expired after you put a bunch of games you wanted in your cart on the PSN store? Well you have to leave the store to input a new card, and that, of course, OF COURSE, will empty your cart, so enjoy using the godawful interface to find that stuff again. Wanna watch Inception off that Blu-Ray you have in the drive? Enjoy scrolling over to video, PAST video services, and then all the way down to the bottom of the column. At least 75% of the time I use my Ps3 it's to access whatever content is on the disc in the drive, be it a movie or a game. Why isn't there a default selection on the home part that lets me access that disc-based content? Meanwhile if I want to access the Internet browser or do an Internet search, which I NEVER do, that's just a couple clicks of the D-pad away. Thanks Sony!

In terms of interface both consoles have aged like turds in the sun. And either company could fix these very basic problems, if they gave a damn.

#45 Posted by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

I'm going to vote PS3.

Not that its hardware is any better than the 360. It all boils down to GPU and the 360 wins. Games look better now not because developers are squeezing water out of rocks, but because they're employing graphic tricks to increase the seen fidelity of what the user sees on screen. FOV is becoming narrower, weapons are getting bigger and bigger, textures are looking muddier while vomit inducing amounts of blur and bloom take care of aliasing.

Yup. Uncharted 3 looks good. It animates well. But the texture work? Yuck. Level design? Real good, but its laid out so its easier on the hardware.

The PS3 has aged well because Sony doesn't fuck the UI every year. Its not horribly intuitive, but the home experience doesn't look like a warez/porn site exploded on my console. The Blu-ray drive means that even though I don't game often on the PS3, it gets used for playing videos. If someone wants to drag me, kicking and screaming into a multiplayer console game, its no big deal. The ability to upgrade the drive? A god send.

Sorry, the 360 UI is a raging piece of crap. It feels like they spent more time trying to figure out how to market stuff to me than anything else. The 360 controller? A raging piece of crap for fighting games. Hey, someone wants to play some game with me over Live? Well, I'm not paying $39 for a yearly sub I'll use... three times. Multiplatform games? Yeah. They perform better on the 360 compared to the PS3. That's like saying "Hey, my Taurus is faster than your Camry." I have a good PC, could care less about Fable or Gears, so the only thing my 360 does better than my PS3 is collect dust. If someone told me the 360 version of Dark Souls runs better than the PS3, it wouldn't matter. They both run... poorly when you're used to a constant 60fps, so 24fps vs. 30fps... its all good.

#46 Edited by BRich (436 posts) -

I play everything on 360 for the better controller, online play, framerate, and XBLA games. I turned on my PS3 a couple times in the last year to play some blu rays and about an hour of Uncharted 3.

I couldn't care less about the interface, both are pretty horrible.

#47 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

360, just because they keep adding to it, Kinect, Youtube, Zune, etc.

#48 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

When it comes to consoles the top priority for me is how well they run games. Bluray, interface, all the other stuff is not that important. I think both consoles are underpowered to the point of being a major fault. I put games in both consoles and notice frame rates in the low 20's, maybe even teens. Right now I am playing Dark Souls on a brand new PS3 slim and there are many areas where I have seen frame rates in the toilet. Here is a game developed specifically for this platform and it is chugging along! What is up with that? When my PC starts running games like this, I upgrade.

The reason I have a PS3 now is because my 360 went tits up. I was playing Viking and the console red lined mid way through the game. Instead of replacing it with another 360 I decided to go with a PS3. So I picked up Viking for the PS3 in order to finish the game. You know what? neither of these consoles are able to run Viking at a consistently smooth frame rate. Both will chug when there is a lot of action on screen.

I am especially disappointed with the PS3. Here is Dark Souls, a game developed in Japan for the system, and it is struggling to play the game. My brand new console is running a video game with visibly poor frame rates. Wow, I was expecting more from the console.

#49 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

The PC.

trollface.jpg

#50 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Tricky, I own both and my gut reaction was PS3, but only in terms of software. I mean you look at the games that system had to begin with, and it was struggling, then you had MS with Halo (when Halo was still monumentally huge), Fable, GoW, Mass Effect, but then over the years, plenty of exclusives have been lost on the Xbox side, while the PS3 has got a lot stronger with the likes of Uncharted.

In terms of everything else though, I'd say 360. The updates haven't always been great, and I still remember the blades fondly, but the dashboard is wonderfully implemented and easy to use, and Xbox Live remains the dominant and most reliable online console service. The system is a breeze to use, very well marketed and supported, and has a ton of useful (and so not useful in my opinion) features and integrations like social network support, netflix, etc. In terms of additional hardware, despite many people's criticisms, Kinect has unarguably done a hell of a lot better than Move and hints at a more exciting, immersive future for motion controls, and the new Slim consoles have finally extinguished the red ring flame. Both consoles have gotten much stronger over the years, but I'd say the 360 just about pips it.