Which is better? WiiWare or Virtual Console?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tireyo

I personally like the Virtual Console.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

WiiWare. It allowed me to play LostWinds, World of Goo, and Toki Tori.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Equal?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tireyo

Al3xand3r:  Gotta like one or the other! :D

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I got more entertainment off the Wiiware so far.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

VC hands down

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well if I gotta, I pick WiiWare then. Haven't really bought many VC games. Super Punch-Out!! is ace though. My vote made them 50/50 yay.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Damned close to a tie, but I enjoy myself just a bit more on WiiWare.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Wow. People are actually pretty divided on this.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tireyo

I'm curious on how this is going to turn out! :D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Easily the VC. The Wii Ware service has been pretty lame to date with very few titles of quality. The majority of content on Wii Ware is shoddy crap that Nintendo promised they would never put on the service.

Wii Ware has a very long way to go before it comes even comes close  to matching the number of quality titles seen on VC now.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Marzy

Personally, I think WiiWare is better. I already own most of the best games on the Virtual Console and even if there's a game that appears which I want and I don't have, I'd rather get it on the original system. I like WiiWare because it brings new software and most of the time it brings some interesting concepts, like Lostwinds, World of Goo and Beat.Bit Trip.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#14  Edited By TobyD81

Despite the spotty release schedule and offerings, Virtual Console still has a lot of must-play classics, plenty to fill the fridge. WiiWare has a few standouts, but not yet enough to compete with some of the best all-time games.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Both. Always answer both!!!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tireyo

Very nice everyone!

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lamegame621

Not owning a Wii, but playing a significant amount with friends, I have to say virtual console

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Endogene

I think it is a bit unfair to compare them, Wiiware being all new content and most of the games in the virtual console catalogue being games cherry picked out of over a decade of gaming history.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64
Virtual Console, there are just to many classic games that can't be beat by the games on Wiiware.       (Can't get the Bold off.)
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Diamond

VC has better games, but it's all emulation, no content added, stuff I've played before and can play now elsewhere.

Wiiware has a handful of half decent original things.  Not a fraction as good as PSN or XBLA, but still at least it's new stuff.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scorched
Arkthemaniac said:
"WiiWare. It allowed me to play LostWinds, World of Goo, and Toki Tori."
you can play World of Goo on PC
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I would say VC because it has so many classics. I mean, seriously, OoT, Mario 64, Super Metriod, Punch Out!, Super Mario World, etc., etc. So many great games. And I have World of Goo on my PC anyway.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

But the emulation of the VC games is pretty bad.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind

Nostalgia is the more powerful.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

VC has games I like.  WiiWare is filled with shit, awful, and Space Invaders Get Even.

Really, though, both kind of suck.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By AgentJ
iAmJohn said:
"VC has games I like.  WiiWare is filled with shit, awful, and Space Invaders Get Even.

Really, though, both kind of suck.
"
*sigh*
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn
AgentJ said:
"*sigh*"
Sigh all you want, friendbrother, but it's true.  VC is markedly overpriced and WiiWare has, like, three really good games, the rest being pretty much shovelware.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
iAmJohn said:
"AgentJ said:
"*sigh*"
Sigh all you want, friendbrother, but it's true.  VC is markedly overpriced and WiiWare has, like, three really good games, the rest being pretty much shovelware.
"
I dissagree. I dont find the VC overpriced at 5 bucks per NES game and 8 bucks per SNES game since the rare ones would easily fetch 10 times that. And i'd rather have 3 good wiiware games and a bunch of crap than nothing at all.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tireyo
AgentJ said:
"iAmJohn said:
"AgentJ said:
"*sigh*"
"
I dissagree. I dont find the VC overpriced at 5 bucks per NES game and 8 bucks per SNES game since the rare ones would easily fetch 10 times that. And i'd rather have 3 good wiiware games and a bunch of crap than nothing at all.
"

:D Well put.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamjohn
AgentJ said:
"I dissagree. I dont find the VC overpriced at 5 bucks per NES game and 8 bucks per SNES game since the rare ones would easily fetch 10 times that. And i'd rather have 3 good wiiware games and a bunch of crap than nothing at all."
For one, if you know where to look and you're not looking for rare games (and really, how many rare games are there on VC at the moment?), you'd pay as much, if not less, for a real cart than you would for a VC download.  And for a VC download, there's nothing to show for it; no tangible cart or anything.  For as much as, say, F-ZERO X is on Wii Shop Channel, I can go buy, say, Bionic Commando Rearmed, which has better everything.

As for WiiWare, that argument only holds water if the only system you own is a Wii.  I think it's pretty undebatable that the quality of games on Live Arcade and PSN vastly eclipses that of WiiWare games.
UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Virtual Console because it has Starfox, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG =D

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
iAmJohn said:
"AgentJ said:
"I dissagree. I dont find the VC overpriced at 5 bucks per NES game and 8 bucks per SNES game since the rare ones would easily fetch 10 times that. And i'd rather have 3 good wiiware games and a bunch of crap than nothing at all."
For one, if you know where to look and you're not looking for rare games (and really, how many rare games are there on VC at the moment?), you'd pay as much, if not less, for a real cart than you would for a VC download.  And for a VC download, there's nothing to show for it; no tangible cart or anything.  For as much as, say, F-ZERO X is on Wii Shop Channel, I can go buy, say, Bionic Commando Rearmed, which has better everything.

As for WiiWare, that argument only holds water if the only system you own is a Wii.  I think it's pretty undebatable that the quality of games on Live Arcade and PSN vastly eclipses that of WiiWare games.
"
Everything you are saying is a matter of values, namely YOUR values, which are not necessairily the same as everyone elses. For example, I would much rather play F-Zero X then Bionic Commando. Rare games? Im not sure where you plan on finding Sin and Punishment(that would work on an american N64, the real Super Mario Bros 2, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Super Castlevania 4, Actraiser, Super Metroid, Breath of Fire 2, Phantasy Star IV, and Super Mario RPG as cheap as you can get them on VC. and then they are all together and in as good condition as you can get them in. There is an undeniable convenience factor to the whole thing. 

I have SSFIIHDTR, Castle Crashers, Ikargua and Castlevania Symphony of the NIght, but that doesnt mean i dont appreciate being able to play World of Goo and Lost Winds. There arent a lot of games on the other services that match up with World of Goo.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iamjohn

World of Goo and Mega Man 9 don't count on account of them being available for other platforms.  Any computer under the sun can run World of Goo. :\

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AgentJ
iAmJohn said:
"World of Goo and Mega Man 9 don't count on account of them being available for other platforms.  Any computer under the sun can run World of Goo. :\"
Considering its sold much better on the Wii than on PC, im not sure your arguement holds water. And i didnt mention Megaman 9, even though it did come on wiiware first. Besides, how many of those cute little XBLA games aren't available on anything else? Braid is going PC on the 10th of this month. All of the games i own for it other than Castle Crashers are available somewhere else.

Besides, dont ignore the VC arguement. If you can find Secret of Mana somewhere for me for 8 bucks, i may just buy it off of you. 
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tireyo
AgentJ said:
"iAmJohn said:
"World of Goo and Mega Man 9 don't count on account of them being available for other platforms.  Any computer under the sun can run World of Goo. :\"
Considering its sold much better on the Wii than on PC, im not sure your arguement holds water. And i didnt mention Megaman 9, even though it did come on wiiware first. Besides, how many of those cute little XBLA games aren't available on anything else? Braid is going PC on the 10th of this month. All of the games i own for it other than Castle Crashers are available somewhere else.

Besides, dont ignore the VC arguement. If you can find Secret of Mana somewhere for me for 8 bucks, i may just buy it off of you. 
"
No wonder I like you! You put things just out there and don't care!  Blunt and honest!  :D
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ
Tireyo643 said:
"AgentJ said:
"iAmJohn said:

"
No wonder I like you! You put things just out there and don't care!  Blunt and honest!  :D"
Ahhh, im blushing!
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By gearhead

Which one has Jungle Speed?
Yeah, exactly.

Conan1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Conan1111

Virtual Console. I like playing old classics.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#39  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

The Virtual Console has Paper Mario and all the Donkey Kong Country games on it, which play to my nostalgia of old games that I played a bunch but never owned, so that is another point in its favor. All they need to do is release the old Fire Emblem games in english (which I know they won't do) on it.

Wii Ware also has some good stuff, World of Goo and the Strong Bad games are pretty awesome, even if they are also on the PC. But in the end, Nostalgia wins.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AgentJ
ArbitraryWater said:
"The Virtual Console has Paper Mario and all the Donkey Kong Country games on it, which play to my nostalgia of old games that I played a bunch but never owned, so that is another point in its favor. All they need to do is release the old Fire Emblem games in english (which I know they won't do) on it.Wii Ware also has some good stuff, World of Goo and the Strong Bad games are pretty awesome, even if they are also on the PC. But in the end, Nostalgia wins."
Ah, i always forget about the Strongbad games.
They need the Fire Emblems and Mother games.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Virtual Console for the fucking win! If WiiWare games didn't blow so much dick, and more were like World of Goo and Mega Man 9, then I could see myself saying the opposite. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dalai

Considering I have 40+ VC games and 10 WiiWare games, Virtual Console wins.

Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By Blueprint12

I'd probably go with the Virtual Console. To be honest, that's probably the main reason I wanted the Wii is just for the Virtual Console (I got it for Christmas).  Plus WiiWare doesn't have much that's turning my interest.  I already have Mega Man 9 on XBLA and World of Goo looks good but there are so many VC games I'd put over that.