• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Hailinel (23942 posts) 9 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Which of my ten favorite games is your favorite (again!)? (128 votes)

Valkyrie Profile 5%
Final Fantasy VI 27%
Chrono Trigger 38%
The World Ends With You 7%
Metroid: Zero Mission 5%
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2%
Xenoblade Chronicles 5%
Final Fantasy IV 3%
Samurai Warriors 2 2%
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne 8%

Getting in on this action inspired by @pr1mus before the moderators start getting cranky about it. Though I have to say that this was actually a pretty good thought exercise. It's hard to really nail down a list of my ten favorite games since what constitute as my favorites is, for a large part, pretty fluid. At some point, it turns into Sophie's Choice, but without the threat of a dead child. Which, actually, makes it nothing like Sophie's Choice at all, but well, you get my drift.

#1 Edited by gokaired (488 posts) -

Totally on my list

• Final Fantasy VI
  • Chrono Trigger
  • The World Ends With You
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

The bold are on my list but i like all 4.

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5807 posts) -

SMT Nocturne.

The difficulty level is perfect, the combat system is good enough that nearly every SMT game after nocturne contains some variation of it, and the atmosphere is eerie and unsettling (which is a good thing).

It's probably one of my top 5 favorite games, and second favorite in the SMT franchise after Persona 3.

#3 Posted by CaLe (3914 posts) -

Xenoblade is the only one I've played in that list, and I got bored half-way through so stopped playing.

#4 Edited by mosespippy (4045 posts) -

This is the first one of these in which I have not played any of the games. Well, I played maybe 4 or 5 hours of Chrono Trigger but I think it's a boring game so I stopped and I'm certainly not voting for it.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (21283 posts) -

As I was expecting, most of those I've never even played. The two that I have don't leave me with much options, either... Samurai Warriors 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played, and FFVI I only played for a couple of hours before getting sick of trying to traverse its hideous world map.

...So I voted for Chrono Trigger, if only because I've at least watched a whole playthrough of it via the ER. Plus, it seems pretty cool.

#6 Posted by afabs515 (1013 posts) -

TWEWY. The two-screen combat was really cool and unique. The story and characters were both really well written and in an interesting, modern setting. Really, everything about that game was amazing. Too bad there hasnt been a sequel yet.

#7 Posted by SunBroZak (1028 posts) -

That's a very different list to mine. So where did your love of JRPGs start? That seems to be the prominent genre on the list.

And I chose FFVI, mainly because it's the only one on the list I've played from beginning to end.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

That's a very different list to mine. So where did your love of JRPGs start? That seems to be the prominent genre on the list.

And I chose FFVI, mainly because it's the only one on the list I've played from beginning to end.

Dragon Warrior on the NES.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8158 posts) -

Voted for Valkyrie Profile (although I preferred 2).

Chrono Trigger and Metroid are acceptable choices, too.

#10 Posted by Morningstar (2143 posts) -

Close call between The World Ends With You and Nocturne. Giving it to Nocturne though, just love everything Shin Megami Tensei and the combat in The World Ends With You wasn't something I liked that much. Great list btw!

#11 Edited by Pr1mus (3823 posts) -

Well only two were on my list and FFVI was ranked higher than Chrono Trigger so i'm obligated to vote that.

Those two and Final Fantasy IV and Metroid: Zero Mission are totally great games. I prefer Super Metroid over Zero Mission but the latter is the next best thing when it comes to Metroid for me.

I never played any of the remaining games but wish i could play Xenoblade Chronicles, if only because it seems very similar to Final Fantasy XII, at least from a gameplay perspective and FFXII is really high up there in my all time favorites.

#12 Edited by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Chrono Trigger and FFIV are the only ones I played, so Chrono Trigger.

#13 Posted by Pr1mus (3823 posts) -
@yummylee said:

and FFVI I only played for a couple of hours before getting sick of trying to traverse its hideous world map.

You mean its beautiful Mode 7 world map. You take back those words you monster!

#14 Posted by gokaired (488 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

I never played any of the remaining games but wish i could play Xenoblade Chronicles, if only because it seems very similar to Final Fantasy XII, at least from a gameplay perspective and FFXII is really high up there in my all time favorites.

It is, though a tad more simplistic but it makes up for it in customisation, The main protagonist (IMO) is far better. Stort for both is inherently different and i suppose it comes down to preference.

#15 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

Just one Xenoblade Chronicles, I never finished it though. Probably will finish it on my next holiday break.

#16 Edited by Demoskinos (14577 posts) -

I'll vote for VI but simply because its the only one that I have at least some measure of attachment to which is to say not that much at all.

#17 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

Metroid Zero Mission but no Super MEtroid!?!?!?!?!?!? :O

Only play Zero mission from you list.

#18 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

tri-Ace, where the hell is my Valkyrie Profile: Hrist?

TWEWY was such a treat but I'm obligated to pick Nocturne.

#19 Posted by TheRealMoot (355 posts) -

Chrono Trigger.

Because it's the only one on your list that I can say I've beaten more than 13 times and still want to play.

#20 Posted by zerdune (157 posts) -

On that list I've played FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade and I don't like any of them.

#21 Edited by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

Hey, what can I say? I like Zero Mission more. :P

#22 Posted by TopSteer (640 posts) -

I've played six of the games on your list and I like them all with the exception of Xenoblade Chronicles which I didn't much care for. Valkyrie Profile, Metroid, Ouendan, and SMT I haven't played. I'm surprised you would pick Samurai Warriors 2 over 3, I thought 3 improved over 2 in pretty much every way. I'm guessing it's just one of those games that you play at a certain time and place since I would say my favorite Dynasty Warriors is 5 even though I know some of the newer games are better.

#23 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Zenoblade Chronicles wins almost by default this time for me. Defiantly an Intresting list, one much different to my own however :)

#24 Posted by believer258 (11669 posts) -

@hailinel How the fuck do you expect me to choose between Nocturne, Chrono Trigger, and Metroid Zero Mission?

Besides, I have this question to ask:

@gnatsol said:

Super Metroid is the best game of all time. How did Zero Mission beat it out?

#25 Edited by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

@topsteer said:

I've played six of the games on your list and I like them all with the exception of Xenoblade Chronicles which I didn't much care for. Valkyrie Profile, Metroid, Ouendan, and SMT I haven't played. I'm surprised you would pick Samurai Warriors 2 over 3, I thought 3 improved over 2 in pretty much every way. I'm guessing it's just one of those games that you play at a certain time and place since I would say my favorite Dynasty Warriors is 5 even though I know some of the newer games are better.

I enjoy 3, but Samurai Warriors 2 has the survival castle mode that I can play that absolute hell out of. It was kind of a toss up, really.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

@hailinel How the fuck do you expect me to choose between Nocturne, Chrono Trigger, and Metroid Zero Mission?

@gnatsol said:

I like the progression and story in Zero Mission more. Also has that really fun pseudo-stealth sequence and everything that comes after.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14577 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

I concur. Man, Super Metroid still holds up fantastically for a game from 1994.

#28 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Samurai warriors 2 all the way.

#29 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Final Fantasy VI is also one of my favorites, so I'm voting for that.

#30 Posted by believer258 (11669 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

@gnatsol said:

I like the progression and story in Zero Mission more. Also has that really fun pseudo-stealth sequence and everything that comes after.

So one of my reasons for not liking Zero Mission quite as much is that unfun psuedo-stealth sequence and everything that comes after. I had that sentence typed in my first post but decided to delete it.

Anyway, Zero Mission goes in my third favorite Metroid game slot after Prime and Super. Oh, well, subjective opinions and all.

#31 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

No FFVII? What is this.

Well choice was easy, FFVI.

#32 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

@gnatsol said:

So one of my reasons for not liking Zero Mission quite as much is that unfun psuedo-stealth sequence and everything that comes after. I had that sentence typed in my first post but decided to delete it.

Anyway, Zero Mission goes in my third favorite Metroid game slot after Prime and Super. Oh, well, subjective opinions and all.

And zero mission don't got no Baby Metroid..... I miss that baby metroid. :(

All the story I need in a metroid game really. Too much story and you get something like Prime 3 or fusion. Good games but....

#33 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Metroid! Als I haven't actually played any of the other games.

#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11488 posts) -

FFVI, mostly because I haven't played a lot of the other games on this list. What I played of Chrono Trigger was pretty great, and if I keep on saying that I will finish SMT Nocturne then I'll probably do it at some point.

#35 Edited by Video_Game_King (36068 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Pseudo? That part's firmly in stealth territory.

Anyway, Final Fantasy VI.

#36 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

None

#37 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

It is really rare to meet someone that has the same hobby as me and yet i cannot sympathize to any of the things he likes about it.

I have never played or seen any of these games being played.

Seems like a good list!

#38 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashi Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 is one of my favorite games.

#39 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Of those listed, I've only ever played Valkyrie Profile (and that was only for about 30 minutes) so I guess that one by default.

#40 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

FFVI by a mile, though I haven't played quite a few on your list. Might be Xenoblade Chronicles, if I ever get around to it (which means I'd have to buy a Nintendo system for the first time in over a decade).

#41 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

I chose Nocturne. That matador is the biggest asshole ever though.

#42 Posted by Quarters (1633 posts) -

Gotta go with Chrono Trigger in that list for sure.

#43 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

I would choose Valkyrie Profile but since I havent played much of it sadly ... it is like this mystical game that I so want to play but getting a hold of it is impossible , and a bit torn between SMT: Nocturne and FFVI .... mmmhhh oh blast it VP will be.

Also why would the mods ban these threads? They gather a nice disscusion about videogames and I feel that they are not spammy in nature.

#44 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@aetheldod: theres a really good psp version of valkyrie profile.

#45 Edited by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

@jz said:

@aetheldod: theres a really good psp version of valkyrie profile.

I honestly prefer the PS1 version. I'm not really a fan of the CG cinematics they inserted in the PSP version.

I chose Nocturne. That matador is the biggest asshole ever though.

Not gonna lie, I beat the Matador on my first try. Still a huge asshole, though.

Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashi Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 is one of my favorite games.

I love it as well, but I had to give props to the original!

#46 Posted by Tom_omb (346 posts) -

These lists are making me feel bad, I don't have many JRPGs behind me. Chrono Trigger gets my vote as the game I've played enough to have an opinion about. But I do plan on getting to FFVI one day, I bought it on PSN.

#47 Edited by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

So there are seventy-eight votes so far, and none for Final Fantasy IV. I find that particularly surprising.

#48 Edited by Pr1mus (3823 posts) -
@hailinel said:

So there are seventy-eight votes so far, and none for Final Fantasy IV. I find that particularly surprising.

Final Fantasy IV is not my favorite but it is definitely the most important game of my gaming life. It was both my first FF and my first JRPG, which became my favorite genre for over a decade. I admit that JRPGs fell out of favor in recent years for me but without FFIV i wouldn't have played every other amazing JRPGs i put on my list and plenty of others.

#49 Posted by Humanity (8841 posts) -

@hailinel can't say I really dig any of those games.

#50 Posted by BeachThunder (11712 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. The DS version's pretty good.

I wonder how long it will be before these threads completely overrun the forum. I would make one myself, but I can't decide on my top ten :(