#1 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

#2 Edited by Orange (203 posts) -

Given that it's now summer, I have a bit more free time on my hands to play games. A few summers ago, I went through a big retro collecting phase and bought a bunch of SNES games from eBay that I played throughout my childhood. I never owned an SNES myself, I always played it at my friend's house. So with all of that being said, I still have yet to sit down a great deal with all of the games I bought, but I would like to try to do that this summer.

I would like to get through all of the following games eventually, but which one should I go through first? I'll try to keep a blog with my progress.

(I do own Super Mario World, but I would rather dive into one of my other games first.)

#3 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

A Link to the Past is the correct answer.

#4 Posted by IBurningStar (2145 posts) -

Go with Zelda. That game is still amazing.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country was pretty cool, so I'd suggest going with that.

#6 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country TWO

It is the greatest game ever, good setting, good music, good gameplay, good visuals. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again.

But of the list: Link to the past

#7 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

@Kjellm87 said:

Donkey Kong Country TWO

It is the greatest game ever, good setting, good music, good gameplay, good visuals. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again.

But of the list: Link to the past

I do have all of the DKC games, but I think I want to play them in order.

#8 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -

Link to the Past or Super Metroid. I never liked Donkey Kong Country that much for whatever reason, and the SNES Star Fox isn't the greatest (Star Fox 64 was the sweet spot). You could do Sunset Riders too, it's pretty short so you'll blast through it in a few hours.

#9 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

Link to the Past or Super Metroid. I never liked Donkey Kong Country that much for whatever reason, and the SNES Star Fox isn't the greatest (Star Fox 64 was the sweet spot). You could do Sunset Riders too, it's pretty short so you'll blast through it in a few hours.

Sunset Riders is probably my favorite SNES game of all time... haven't played through it in a while though so I thought I would throw it in the list. I'm surprised Super Metroid doesn't have more votes... looks like I'll be playing Zelda, haha.

#10 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Donkey kong country is amazing :D

#11 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

you should play shadowrun

#12 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@Kjellm87 said:

Donkey Kong Country TWO

Greatest game ever! 
Every aspect is 'good'! 
????? 

DKC is a pretty mediocre platformer which people seem to forget because of its strong graphics. 
... I guess Sunset Riders? All of those games bore me to be honest.
#13 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -
@Orange: Have you played Contra 3? It's my favorite SNES game and if you love Sunset Riders but haven't played it you're doing yourself a disservice.
#14 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I voted Donkey Kong because I knew Zelda would be first... but both are amazing.

#15 Posted by spiralsin (156 posts) -

Zelda will always be the "popular" choice (next to Mario), but I had to vote for Super Metroid. I just have fonder memories of playing that game. The atmosphere, the music, the action, and Samus. Need I say more? 

Still, all the titles on your list are required gaming from that era. Although, I never played Sunset Riders so I can't comment.

#16 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

@Orange: Have you played Contra 3? It's my favorite SNES game and if you love Sunset Riders but haven't played it you're doing yourself a disservice.

I will find an eBay auction ASAP... I meant to buy that a few years ago but since then I have forgotten about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

#17 Posted by Evilsbane (4332 posts) -

Link to the Fucking Past, that game was... Epic in so many ways, The music, the enemy's, I love OoT but that game is what I think of when I think Zelda.

#18 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country.

#19 Posted by FateOfNever (1758 posts) -

You know, I'm going to go with Star Fox.  I know it won't win the poll, I also know it is by far not the best of the games on there.  However, if you're looking to play through all of those games during the summer, honestly, I wouldn't start it off with a show stopper.  Then again, that's me and the way I tend to approach things. 

#20 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

A Link to the Past is still my favorite Zelda game.  I love everything about that game.

#21 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

A link to the past obviously 

but i went with super metroid because i've never played it and if i had the chance i'd go for that 

#22 Posted by 1337W422102 (996 posts) -

If you start with Link to the Past and/or Super Metroid, your expectations for the others will be way too high.

#23 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

You know, I'm going to go with Star Fox. I know it won't win the poll, I also know it is by far not the best of the games on there. However, if you're looking to play through all of those games during the summer, honestly, I wouldn't start it off with a show stopper. Then again, that's me and the way I tend to approach things.

I like the way you think... I think I might do that.

#24 Posted by Krampus (141 posts) -

Contra III: Alien Wars.  You should start with that one.

#25 Posted by Orange (203 posts) -

@Krampus said:

Contra III: Alien Wars. You should start with that one.

Lookin' for it on eBay, I'll try to get it soon.

#26 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

Easy answer. 
Link to the Past.

#27 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

play star fox. it's great game man.

#28 Posted by CodyMetro (93 posts) -

Sunset Riders.

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Super Metroid.

#30 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It's both the best Zelda game and the best Super Nintendo game.

#31 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Zelda and then Metroid. Both amazing games :)

#32 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

Sunset Riders, though I prefer the Mega drive version, even though I think its supposed to be the more stripped down one.

#33 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

Whet your appetite with Super Metroid, then go straight into Zelda LttP.

#34 Posted by TearsInRain (269 posts) -

I say Donkey Kong Country for its steady difficulty, great music and the fact it's my favorite SNES game.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (10999 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country is pretty great. No, it's not Zelda, but if you start with Zelda you're just going to be disappointed by everything that comes afterwards.

#36 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

Donkey Kong and Super Metroid are the strongest on that list in my opinion.

#37 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

A link to the past, it still holds up to his day.

#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

I'd actually say Star Fox. But it isn't particularly long and not something you need to keep playing. So do a bit of that alongside Link to the Past or Donkey Kong Country. I'd also highly recommend you only play the first DKC, the sequels were terrible (with the exception of the new one on the Wii).

#39 Posted by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

I say Super Metroid. Definitely a game I'd play right now on a SNES if I had the chance.

#40 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

Sunset Riders seam to be to stand a bit out from the other choices as far as play-time goes... although I figure Star Fox also can be short. 

I voted Super Metroid.

#41 Posted by FesteringNeon (2153 posts) -

I'm in the minority here thinking you should pump out Starfox first. It's a staple, and needs to be played immediately.