Which of the original Rainbow Six games should I play if I only play one?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Which of the original Rainbow Six games should I play if I only play one? (75 votes)

Rainbow Six 13%
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear 31%
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield 51%

I got to reading about US nuclear weapon terminology and the mention that Empty Quiver is the real term for Rogue Spear reminded me I never got around to playing any of the "proper" Rainbow Six games. I played Vegas 1 and 2 but they seem to miss tactical layer entirely. I remember liking the idea of planning when the games were new but never could work it out due to being a dumb kid. Now days I think I'd be able to give it a much fairer go.

So which one is the definitive Rainbow Six experience? I know these games are old and clunky but I have a pretty high threshold for old games. I played System Shock 2 in 2012 for the first time and loved it. I also play a fair bit of Arma so I'm not unused to military themed clunk if this game has it.

• 
TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am biased here since I spent years playing Rogue Spear, albeit online, but it is still my favorite.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Raven Shield has at least gun models and runs on the more modern Unreal2 engine. And it still has the planning mode and everything. But the first two are worth playing too if you don't mind the clunk and lackluster presentation.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: I actually don't mind lack of guns. I played Ghost Recon and that had a similar lack of models. My concern was, based on my brief reading, that Raven Shield has simplified the planning layer in favour of making it more straight shooting.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By damodar

I'd say 3 is maybe the best balance between having the tactical business and being the easiest to return to due to polish etc, so that might be a good way to test the water and perhaps be a jumping off point to revisit the older entries, if you feel so inclined. Although it sounds like you don't mind dealing with older games that show their age, so maybe Rogue Spear. I'M NO HELP :O

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

The first two, while still solid, are practically archaic in look and design these days. The first game especially so.

I'd say they're all worth checking out if you've any interest in tactical shooters. Though If you want definitive, Raven Shield without a doubt.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleh Raven Shield was the death of real Rainbow 6 games.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hayt

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm going to try out Rogue Spear and if I bounce off it hard go to Raven Shield.

Avatar image for streets_of_vlad
streets_of_vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could, I'd still be playing Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox Live.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked Rogue Spear more for single player or LAN comp stomps.

Played a ton of Raven Shield and really enjoyed it, but that was purely multi-player for me.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

3 is a very good game, and you should absolutely play it, however I highly suggest you at least give the original a look to really appreciate how far that series has come. Also, I don't think 3 had planning anymore, which was a bummer.

The first game let you plan out missions before you actually deployed onto the field, and if you were really good you would be able to just hit a few keys when the level loaded and watch your squads do everything without you firing a single shot yourself. It ruled.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12 fisk0  Moderator

I kinda think Rogue Spear holds up the best visually. It certainly looks aged, but in a way which almost looks deliberate in a minimalist/stylized kinda way, which 1 and 3 doesn't.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If I could, I'd still be playing Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox Live.

You and me both. That was the golden age of multiplayer for me.