Which Resident Evil to get?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

So I played the demo for revelations and I was quite pleased and want to play more. However there are at least 3 or 4 options at the moment for me to get into the "newer" style of Resident Evil. If you have anything good/bad to say about RE 4 on XBLA, RE 5 Gold Edition, RE 6 or RE Revelations for xbox let me know and help me decide.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@vinny_says: as far as I'm concerned, there has yet to be a bad resident evil game. Technically speaking, they are all great. Some are better than others and its obvious the series is in need of a break, but its a solid series. I'd recommend RE 2 or RE 5 as those are my favorites.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I actually did end up buying RE:4 ON XBLA last month (or when it was on sale, I don't remember) and I'd say it's a pretty fun shooter, though the 'HD' actually makes the textures look a bit uglier. Never played 5, though I'd advise to stay away from 6 unless you like poor paced and poorly designed QTE-ridden gameplay. RE:R is fine too from what I've played of it, but the comms officer boss was pretty long-winded.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Get 4 for xbox. It totally holds up, I played 4 for the first time when it came out on wii back in 07 or 08 or whatever. The Wii version is my personal favourite but I've completed the 360 version a few times and its a close second. The shooting in that game is second to none.

From there on out do whatever you want, go play 5 if you want, play some of the older games if they intrigue you. Just do whatever you feel, dont listen to us idiots.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know saying this will probly get my gamer card revoked,but I never played RE 4until recently and I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a good game but not one of the best ever made as some people like to decree. Definitely not in the same league as ocarina of time,snake eater, bio shock, etc..

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Get RE4. 5 is decent, Revelations is decent but 4 is the classic.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By EthanML

Just don't....don't buy 6. Really.

I recommend 4, but obviously it's not going to be as amazing now as it was at the time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

RE4 is probably the strongest as a horror experience and has the best narrative. The gameplay is also solid.

RE5 takes most of the horror and throws it out the window, but refines and perfects the gameplay of 4 in a billion ways. It is significantly more fun to play as an action-puzzle game, but the story is pretty schlocky.

RE6 still isn't scary, and the attempts to turn it into more of a straight-up action game push it away from the mechanical harmony of RE5.

If you want atmosphere and horror, play 4. If you want tight, thoughtful, well-balanced gameplay, play 5. Avoid 6.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4 without a doubt. RE5 is also good, but I recommend playing it co-op, it really makes that game I think. Revelations is alright, at least on 3DS which is the platform I played it on.
RE6 is IMO utter-shit, so stay clear.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4. That's the one I started with. RE5 was kinda meh, and I'm still on the fence regarding Revelations (I have the 3ds version)

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy RE5 and RE6 immensely. RE4 is horribly paced, but has basic fun gameplay. I think it's incredibly overrated. Just started playing the HD version of Revelations, so don't have an opinion of that yet. I've seen the cutscenes online though, and they're so-so. It's not my favorite in the series, but it seems okay.

RE6 is my favorite of the bunch. You should at least give it a shot. Though some people treat it like the plague, others who play it really dig into it. There's no way of knowing which side of the fence you fall on unless you try.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

@shivermetimbers: How are the controls in the HD version of RE4 because I imagine it must have been a weird transition from GC/PS2 to xbox. Are the controls in the modern 3rd person shooter style or more like the first Deadrising?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@quarters said: I enjoy RE5 and RE6 immensely. RE4 is horribly paced, but has basic fun gameplay. I think it's incredibly overrated. Just started playing the HD version of Revelations, so don't have an opinion of that yet. I've seen the cutscenes online though, and they're so-so. It's not my favorite in the series, but it seems okay.RE6 is my favorite of the bunch. You should at least give it a shot. Though some people treat it like the plague, others who play it really dig into it. There's no way of knowing which side of the fence you fall on unless you try.

wow, first time I see someone like RE6 And hate RE4.....

Well to post my answer, I would go with RE4 perfect balance of horror and action. It has easily the best boss battles, which could be argued to be the best ever bosses. So yea enjoy!!!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Resident Evil 4, for the interesting plot, horror, and solo experience.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 ditch most of the horror, and introduce co-op which kinda sucks if you don't have any friend to play with, as you'll end up being the clumsy new guy playing the game, with someone who probably knows the ins and outs of. You can also play solo, but it isn't really how the games were thought to be experienced, with the less than optimal computer partner.

From the story perspective, Resident Evil 4 may be the best one, although Resident Evil 5 and 6 aren't much worse, with interesting locations and enemies. The only real problem about 5 and 6 is how they ditch the horror, for action.

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Resident Evil 4 was definitely a fresh start coming after CVX. Apart from some intro preamble about the fate of Umbrella you'd think it was a different series with characters from RE in it. Whilst it's not scary per say, its got great mood and atmosphere. The action is great and the story is pretty interesting.

Haven't played Revelations yet.

Resident Evil 5 I really didn't like at all. In fact I'm half way through RE6 and I think I'm enjoying that more but as people have said - its not scary. So if you want something 'scary' you'll need to go back to the core series and I'm not quite sure they hold up as well today.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@shivermetimbers said:

I actually did end up buying RE:4 ON XBLA last month (or when it was on sale, I don't remember) and I'd say it's a pretty fun shooter, though the 'HD' actually makes the textures look a bit uglier. Never played 5, though I'd advise to stay away from 6 unless you like poor paced and poorly designed QTE-ridden gameplay. RE:R is fine too from what I've played of it, but the comms officer boss was pretty long-winded.

I've played RE4 with good old composite cables. While it was fine back then, it's pretty muddy these days and hard to see. I can't imagine that component is much better. I don't remember any graphics that jumped out at as being bad, but if there are, I'd still suggest the HD version just because it is much, much clearer and is meant to be played on HDTV's.

That is, unless you own a computer powerful enough to perfectly emulate PS2 games and would rather have a physical copy of the game. But I can ensure that the 360 version of RE4 is pretty clear and runs as smooth as butter.

EDIT: For the record, 4 is the best of the bunch. 5 is very fun if you can find a co-op buddy who will play through it with you. It's fun by your lonesome as well, but the AI gets in the way sometimes. @fredchuckdave seems to have really liked 6, and 6 is also pretty long. And I've heard other people say they like it as well. But that would be my last suggestion, as its reception was mixed. I haven't personally played 6 or Revelations yet, but of the two I would choose to play Revelations first.

@vinny_says said:

@shivermetimbers: How are the controls in the HD version of RE4 because I imagine it must have been a weird transition from GC/PS2 to xbox. Are the controls in the modern 3rd person shooter style or more like the first Deadrising?

RE4 controls weird no matter where you play it, but after you've used them for a bit they're pretty easy to slip into and quite smooth.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

RE4 is the best in the series as well as one of the best games of all time.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By Justin258

RE4 controls weird no matter where you play it, but after you've used them for a bit they're pretty easy to slip into and quite smooth.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

RE4 is one of my top 10 all time favorite games, RE5 is a good game but never reaches the level of 4 for me, and I am literally in a cutscene of chapter 2 of my first character as I type so no opinion on it yet.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4 without a doubt. RE5 is also good, but I recommend playing it co-op, it really makes that game I think. Revelations is alright, at least on 3DS which is the platform I played it on.

RE6 is IMO utter-shit, so stay clear.

Agreed about RE5. It's probably the best co-op experience I had this generation. Definitely play with someone else if you can, preferably a friend to laugh at all the laughable cutscenes and dialogue with.

But hell, it's great even on your own. I soloed that game a bunch, 100%'d it, got the infinite rocket launcher. Just a ton of arcadey fun. Super replayable.

Avatar image for randomcharachter
randomcharachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By randomcharachter

I recommend you to buy RE 4, RE Veronica bundle but don't buy RE 5 andbuy RE 6 if you want to know the story and its not a that bad game.For Revelations I don't know anything

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sanious

RE4 is a great game and definitely the best of the bunch. RE5 had its faults, but honestly if you play with a friend you're going to have a good time. I played through it a few times with a buddy of mine and I had tons of fun doing it. Really fun co-op. As for RE6, I was open to the game and in the end I really couldn't muster up too many good things about it. I co-oped through the game with the same friend as 5 and didn't have nearly as much fun. I found myself more frustrated with this one more than anything else.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnow

I just finished 4 HD for the first time. It's still a terrific game. The outdated controls felt perfect; they added a layer of tension without frustration. It definitely looks like an older game, since the 'HD' really just means it plays in 16x9 widescreen, but even so it looks pretty good.

It's the only RE game I've finished (I've tried started RE1 and I've played a bit of 5) so that's the only suggestion I have...

Oh, and be sure to switch to Control Set II, unless you like using face buttons to fire weapons.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2, 4, 5, 6 are pretty relevant.

Don't buy 6 unless you are going through it with a coop buddy. And if you can get it Really cheap. I think I picked it up on GMG for like 12 bucks last month.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't think 6 is nearly as bad as everyone says it is. Actually , I think its a pretty good game thats not to say it doesn't have tons of issues most of which I think revolve around the structuring of the game. I REALLY think the entire game comes across better if you do chronological order instead of playing through one campaign all at once.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@vinny_says:

RE 4 HD is a really good version of that game. It's also a really good game. You just have to come to terms with how it handles shooting. I'm sure you've heard but once you enter 'aiming' mode you can't move. And there's a little sway to the aiming no matter what gun you use or how you upgrade so your shots can't ever be as accurate as some people would like. But, if you can't look past those things it's a great game. A great action game. It's not horror though it is intense.

RE 5 is basically next-gen RE 4 with a few differences. You can strafe now but other then that the aiming is nearly identical. Some people didn't like the co-op AI but I didn't really have issues with her. The inventory is handled real time rather then in an attache case, like in 4, so you can't use the inventory as a moment to rest and think about how to deal with enemies. Pair that with also managing your co-op AI's inventory and it all feels a little clumsy. It's also shorter then 4. And if you are playing on the PS3 I noticed that, when I tried it out for free through PS+, it was a little frame-y. The 360 and PC versions seem to be the ones to get.

RE 6 was supposed to have better control and aiming then 4 and 5 but, from the little I've played so far, it doesn't. The aiming has a lot of forced movement. Whereas in 4 and 5 the aiming marker would sway a little, making head shots slightly more difficult particularly if you are under duress, the aiming marker in 6 sways as if a drunk is holding the gun. The kickback from the guns are severe. The melee, which has a stronger emphasis in this game, is inaccurate unless the player is really careful. On the plus side the co-op AI is indestructible and the game is really, really long. And there are some cool moments in it. But the controls take a lot of getting used to.

I don't know much about Revelations but from what I had heard about the 3DS version it was slow, disjointed, and a little boring.

If I were to suggest the next game for you to play, I'd pick 4, then 5, and it would be a toss up between 6 and Revelations.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I like all of them. RE5 is my personal favorite, but if you are playing solo I recommend RE4. RE6 is fun, just not as good as the other two.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DarthOrange

@jasonr86 said:

RE 6 was supposed to have better control and aiming then 4 and 5 but, from the little I've played so far, it doesn't. The aiming has a lot of forced movement. Whereas in 4 and 5 the aiming marker would sway a little, making head shots slightly more difficult particularly if you are under duress, the aiming marker in 6 sways as if a drunk is holding the gun.

You can change the aiming in the options to give it the same laser aiming controls as RE4 and 5. It really should have been the default, it plays like ass with just the dot.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Nardak

I wish publishers would stop trying to make certain game series more action oriented. In a lot of cases it tends to backfire (Dead space 3, Resident Evil 6).

There is always room for improvement but not all game series can be what Call of Duty franchise is. Often it seems that when publishers try to chase that elusive goal for maxium profit they tend to lose more in the process than they bargained for.

For example Homefront was a very costly mistake for THQ. SWTOR proved to be a costly mistake for EA. Publishers should try to offer us gamers different experiences and not try to fit all games into the same mold.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@jasonr86 said:

RE 6 was supposed to have better control and aiming then 4 and 5 but, from the little I've played so far, it doesn't. The aiming has a lot of forced movement. Whereas in 4 and 5 the aiming marker would sway a little, making head shots slightly more difficult particularly if you are under duress, the aiming marker in 6 sways as if a drunk is holding the gun.

You can change the aiming in the options to give it the same laser aiming controls as RE4 and 5. It really should have been the default, it plays like ass with just the dot.

RE6 plays like ass regardless of the aiming scheme.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Easy question: get RE4

Avatar image for deactivated-5d557b323a6f7
deactivated-5d557b323a6f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you have someone to play co-op with get RE5. Super fun. Otherwise pick up 4.

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yummylee: Why comment in such a pointless way?

Anyway RE4 is the best modern one. One of the best games ever.

GunnerJensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GunnerJensen

Just grab RE 4 and 5. By the time you finish those, the price of RE: Revelations should drop to something more reasonable.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed 4. I hated 5 ALOT. Didn't play 6 since it looked like a hot mess.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know saying this will probly get my gamer card revoked,but I never played RE 4until recently and I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a good game but not one of the best ever made as some people like to decree. Definitely not in the same league as ocarina of time,snake eater, bio shock, etc..

Well, you just said it! The fuss about it was playing it when it was new, extremely innovative and technically amazing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordanger99:

No offense, and you are entitled to your opinion, but that's kind of comparing apples to oranges dude. It's like if I were to say, "I don't get why people like Star Wars so much. It's no where near as good as Citizen Kane!"

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yummylee
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JasonR86

@yummylee said:
@tyler1285 said:

@yummylee:

Why comment in such a pointless way?

...Whatever that means.

Another pointless comment!!! ARGHHHHH!

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I'm honestly super surprised that so many people in here have positive things to say about RE6. I was not a fan. I've played worse games, for sure, but RE6 was super disappointing.

Of the "newer" RE games, RE4 is my favorite, I like RE5, and I highly enjoy Revelations. RE6 is my least favorite and the one of the group I'd play last if at all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@yummylee said:
@tyler1285 said:

@yummylee:

...Whatever that means.

Shit yeah, motherfucker. I DO WHAT I WANT YOU FOOLS CAN'T STOP ME

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JasonR86

@yummylee said:

@jasonr86 said:

@yummylee said:
@tyler1285 said:

@yummylee:

...Whatever that means.

Shit yeah, motherfucker. I DO WHAT I WANT YOU FOOLS CAN'T STOP ME

DAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN!!!!!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By colourful_hippie

RE 4 is what got me into the franchise so that one.