• 64 results
#1 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

#2 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Yeah, I know, technically Zelda isn't an RPG, but whatever. These are four pretty big games and I want to play at least one before I have to go back to school, but usually I just stare at these games for about a minute, and then move on to something else because I can't decide.

Also, to add some context. I have played pretty much every Zelda game, and I know I like them, but I sorta feel like playing something different. So i'm not sure how different Skyward Sword is, so the only real way I'd probably choose that game is if it is simply far and away better than the rest. I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in a while, but I feel like I might like this game a lot. Then, I literally have no idea what Tales of Vesperia or Eternal Sonata are like other than that they are JRPGs which I am fond of.

So, I guess just vote for whichever one you would rather play, and that's how I'll decide.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36017 posts) -

I'm not sure Skyward Sword entirely counts as an RPG.

#4 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Tough to say without knowing your preferences. Not a huge fan of FFXIII, so I would suggest Vesperia or ES over that. Zelda is just such a different kind of game... if that's what you want, play that.

#5 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

I picked Skyward Sword because it was my favourite game of last year (and is probably one of my favourite games of all time as well).

I would put Final Fantasy XIII as a second pick if you want an RPG-ass RPG.

#6 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Beat you to the punch.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36017 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Beat you to the punch.

Maybe? It's hard to tell with the editing.

#8 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia both do certain things that buck the trends and tropes that have caused the JRPG genre to stagnate in recent years, and they're both excellent games. Of the two, Eternal Sonata gets my nod, because it's so unique and the story is really cool. Tales has excellent characters and good combat, and is longer but also has more grind.

#9 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@Atlas said:

Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia both do certain things that buck the trends and tropes that have caused the JRPG genre to stagnate in recent years, and they're both excellent games. Of the two, Eternal Sonata gets my nod, because it's so unique and the story is really cool. Tales has excellent characters and good combat, and is longer but also has more grind.

Yeah, I think I'm with Atlas here. Eternal Sonata is the most interesting of all four games listed. It's a great experience.

#10 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Beat you to the punch.

Maybe? It's hard to tell with the editing.

Yeah, I just added the second paragraph to give it context.

#11 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia is my favorite of the list. It depends what you want in a RPG right now, they excel at different things.

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@Atlas said:

Yeah, I think I'm with Atlas here. Eternal Sonata is the most interesting of all four games listed. It's a great experience.

I agree, it is the most interesting but I feel it is worse then ToV and FF13 overall. Mostly due to have easy the combat is and not making good use of it's fantastic premise.

#13 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Eternal Sonata, because, to put it politely, it sucks the most. And you can ether use the motivation to play the other games to finish ES or just happy about the improvements.

#14 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

playing eternal sonata now. i started out loving it, but i'm 20 hours in and it's gotten really stale. its biggest downfalls are the lack of enemy variety in its dungeons (there are always two types) and being simplistic in its rpg elements. if xenoblade chronicles is a PC, eternal sonata is a mac, if you nome sayin'. so if you're looking for a gorgeous and thematically unique, yet altogether shallow, experience, go for ES.

#15 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

I say Skyward Sword followed by Tales of Verperia then Eternal Sonata and last FF13

#16 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

Could not finish Eternal Sonata or FFXIII. Go with Zelda you can't go wrong.

#17 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I was gonna go ES, but now I'm not sure...hmm first world problems.

#18 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Classic example of how having too many choices actually makes people less happy.

#19 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia gets my vote, I found ES to be really boring to play and the dialog to be pretty embarrassing.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

oh man, i came in expecting like real RPGs, not JRPGs :(

like i was PUMPED to click this thread and then i saw the choices and im like "ugh" like a soul crushing disappointment overwhelmed me. im not judging, well i guess i am, just man! ugh!

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I've only played Skyward Sword and I'm saying its pretty damn awesome.
Love the upgrading items aspect and the story/dungeons is great too!

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8002 posts) -

Fuck, play Vesperia. I can't believe it's tied with Skyward Sword.

PLAY VESPERIA.

#23 Posted by yoshisaur (2648 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Fuck, play Vesperia. I can't believe it's tied with Skyward Sword.

PLAY VESPERIA.

#24 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

oh man, i came in expecting like real RPGs, not JRPGs :(

like i was PUMPED to click this thread and then i saw the choices and im like "ugh" like a soul crushing disappointment overwhelmed me. im not judging, well i guess i am, just man! ugh!

Well the good news is I've probably already played most well known western RPGs. I haven't played an actual JRPG in years, so I wanted to try a few out.

#25 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Wow, Skyward Sword suddenly jumps ahead.

#26 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Wow, Skyward Sword suddenly jumps ahead.

Behold, the power of Groose.

(Also, play Vesperia.)

#27 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

Go play Vesperia its a much better game than Skyward Sword then go play Eternal Sonata

#28 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

I thought eternal sonata was a very good fun game.

#29 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Vesperia is very long. The story is meted out in small chunks stretched few and far between. Fun combat though. Good english VO.

I rented Eternal Sonata. Seemed fine but I never got into it enough to say.

Haven't played the other two.

#30 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia is great with a few flaws and gets my vote.

I think Skyward Sword ia better, but...we are talking about RPGs.

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

Skyward Sword's pretty damn good.

Only other game I played on here was FFXIII, which is a great game if all you want to do is move forward with the left stick and occasionally press the X button to make stuff blow up and other pretty shit happen.

I've yet to finish either game yet, though. Had my fill of FFXIII after about 30 hours. I had only just gotten to the point where the game opens up fully. Skyward Sword is what I've been playing recently. Took a slight break from it to play the old Tony Hawk games, but I think I'll get back to it soon.

#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

Tales of Versperia.

#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

As someone who doesn't care much for JRPGs unless they are particularly sadistic/weird/novel, I can at the very least tell you that I have heard good things about both Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata. However, I would personally play Skyward Sword because I understand that The Legends of Zelda is pretty bitchin.

#34 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Vesparia easily. The characters are great.

#35 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I played about a dozen hours of Tales of Vesperia before my 360 hard drive reformatted for some reason, and I had a blast with it. I should really get back into it, though.

#36 Edited by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

Hoo boy. Lemme see...

Well, I didn't really like FF13 too much. There were a couple cool characters, a couple mediocre characters, and a couple crappy characters and unfortunately they were widely imbalanced where you had to have certain awful characters on your team to not suck. Hope, I'm looking at you. Combat was pretty interesting though, and it looked nice I guess. Didn't finish it.

As for Tales of Vesperia, well all I can say is that those games have some pretty great combat and that dog can steal and smoke a pipe. Other then that, the series as a whole if full of awful cliche stereotype JRPG characters and I hate their dumb skits and garbage sidequests that boils down to "Play this game with a FAQ open at all times or miss out." Didn't even come close to finishing it. Karol joining my party pretty much drained me of my will to live and I was only able to soldier on for another hour or so.

I haven't played Eternal Sonata, but when I asked my buddy about it he said it was alright until the end where it became way too preachy and up its own ass that it spoiled the whole experience for him. Thats all I can say about it.

And I don't really like Zelda games too much, but I guess Skyward Sword could be good? I guess I'd go with that one unless you hate neverending tutorials.

#37 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

RPGs are dumb. Real men play Peggle.

#38 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

As someone who S ranked FF 13. I would recommend not playing it. Sell it, trade it away, or better yet throw it into a vat of acid.

#39 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Play Vesperia, it's the best RPG on that list.

#40 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I vote for Vesperia and Skyward Sword!

#41 Posted by SkankinPacman (75 posts) -

Gotta go with Tales of Vesperia, it's one of the few JRPG's where I don't find the main character incredibly angsty and annoying....Okay he is a little angsty but he isn't annoying about it like Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.

#42 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

I've played them all but Eternal Sonata..and from the list, I'd definitely recommend Skyward Sword.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (23906 posts) -

Eternal Sonata has its flaws, but I enjoyed my time with it dearly. I'd say play it first. It's not even that long. The game is about 30-40 hours from start to finish.

#44 Edited by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

Tales of vesperia,So bummed the ps3 version didn't come to EU.

Oh well will just have to wait for graces F ^^

#45 Posted by joshth (500 posts) -

Vesparia is a great JRPG fan that all fans of the genre should play, so my vote goes to that.

#46 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

How's about you man up, and play a real RPG, a CRPG.

Look at this box art, tell me it ain't awesome.
#47 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

How about E. find something else to do because playing RPGs nowadays just sounds an impossibly long task.

#48 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

DO IT!

#49 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Eterna Sonata is only like 8 hours long, so that might help you decide.

However, Vesperia is awesome.

#50 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

You should play Dark Souls instead. But using the poll options, I'd have to say Tales of Vesperia.