Which should I play first: Witcher 3 or MGS V?

• 77 results
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Hayt

Poll Which should I play first: Witcher 3 or MGS V? (399 votes)

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt 50%
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 50%

I've finally got the last bit of my PC arriving next week so I can catch up on the big titles I've been "saving" until now. The question is which should I play first? Part of me wants to play the Witcher 3 first so I can experience the games as most people did, in chronological order, that way I'm experiencing the Witcher as I would have had I played it at release, without any impressions I might gain from MGS V (it sounds a little deranged, but it's oddly compelling for me) . However on the other hand there is a bit of a Zeitgeist around Metal Gear right now, but they peter out fairly quickly and the spoilercasts/tips/hints topics will be there whenever I do play it. Another consideration is that Metal Gear is shorter (relatively) than the Witcher 3 so I could finish it quicker to play the other game, but I don't really intend to rush through either of these.

Anyway let me know what you think. Please avoid any specificity in your replies as I've been keeping my head down on both of these. Unlike Ranking of Fighters this isn't an exact science, vote with your gut!

• 
rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say play MGSV first. Mgs is the hot fuzz right now and meanwhile Witcher 3 is only getting better and better with the ongoing patching so theres no hurry there. I dont know how fast you play but Witcher is getting its first DLC soon aswell.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I think The Witcher 3 is going to be my GOTY unless Fallout 4 or something else unseats it. I'm really really enjoying MGSV right now. That said I reckon play MGSV while it's fresh and you can join the conversation and The Witcher 3 will still be really really good when there is a bit of a gaming lull and you want to fill a void. Just don't miss out on it altogether.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd play Metal Gear first to enjoy the things it does do well, before settling in to savor Witcher 3.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nothing else, the main story of MGS V is shorter and even with all the side missions I still think it's a shorter game overall than Witcher 3. So I'd go with that first and then go back and play Witcher 3.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say play MGSV first because it's no where near as long and as far as I'm concerned no where near as good, so it won't be soured by playing the much better open world game that TW3 is. But this is all going on the assumption you'll personally like TW3 and possibly be looking to play the expansion that comes out October 13th.

Best bet is to go with what type of game you feel like playing really, do you want a long story driven RPG with a wide cast of characters and activities? Or do you want to attach a balloon to thousands of soldiers and occasionally watch a cutscene that tells a story that you have no interest in hearing?

Yes I'm bitter about MGSV.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Witcher is more story-based, MGS is more gameplay-focused. So I'd say choose by that.

I started The Witcher, but it's so damn long that I'm finishing MGS in the meantime. So if you plan on playing both, the 40 hours of MGS would probably be quicker.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By BBAlpert

@rethla said:

I say play MGSV first. Mgs is the hot fuzz right now and meanwhile Witcher 3 is only getting better and better with the ongoing patching so theres no hurry there. I dont know how fast you play but Witcher is getting its first DLC soon aswell.

I agree. The Witcher 3 is only going to get better with more patches, while MGSV his a lot more than can potentially get REALLY spoiled for you if you're not careful (if that sort of thing matters to you).

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: Me too, I couldn't agree more.

I highly recommend the Witcher 3, if I had to pick only one game I could play the rest of my life, it'd be this.
It's honestly my favorite game of all time, I love that universe.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I find it funny that you are calling mgs v "shorter." I put 70 hours into witcher 3 over a couple months, and loved loved loved it on my new video card (fist bump). That being said, I am that many hours into metal gear and have a long road ahead of me.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@chu52: Why is it funny? Withcer 3, if you actually play it all, is an order of magnitude longer unless you plan a TON of MGS FOB mode online. I easily have put 200 hours into the Witcher 3 and I'm not done, but that's because I'm literally doing everything, and enjoying NOT fast travelling a lot. I LOVE MGS V though, it's just not nearly as long or content-filled.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@chu52: Why is it funny? Withcer 3, if you actually play it all, is an order of magnitude longer unless you plan a TON of MGS FOB mode online. I easily have put 200 hours into the Witcher 3 and I'm not done, but that's because I'm literally doing everything, and enjoying NOT fast travelling a lot. I LOVE MGS V though, it's just not nearly as long or content-filled.

I don't think so really. I've played 120+ hours of MGSV and I have not finished the Main Story, half the Side OPs, or even touched online FOB mode.

I have roughly 180 in the Witcher and have finished everything except, oh, I dunno half of Skellige. So maybe Witcher 3 is bigger but we're comparing two titans here, it's not apples to oranges. Definitely not an "order of magnitude" in my mind.

They are both gigantic but MGS is based on replayability, the Witcher is more a one-shot deal. I mean, you literally cannot replay any quests, but half my time in MGS has been spent redoing missions just for the fun of it. No one can say how much any one person will replay a mission, so MGS game time is harder to measure in my eyes.

Anyways, I think time is an awful way to convince anyone of which game to play here, as both are huge and, more importantly, truly amazing.

I would say to play MGSV now because that is a game that can be spoiled and it's fun to play something when it's "The Game" everyone is talking about. Also, the Witcher 3 is like a fine wine. Only gets better with age.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By chu52

@geraltitude: that is the right way. The internet is a minefield of MGSV spoilers, but the witcher leans towards, how did you handle x situation?

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing metal gear I couldn't go back to the witcher, the gameplay is so much weaker

LionsLinden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LionsLinden

Sorry that I hijack this thread but how the hell did you guys manage to get so much time out of the Witcher? I've done the game, everything that can be done, every point of interest, every side mission, every match of Gwent, main missions and all of that on insane or whatever the highest difficulty is and it took me like 80 hours. And I didn't fast travel a lot. Only learned of fast traveling by the time I got to Skellige. So how is that possible? I'm confused :(

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love that these forums are, in advance of potential Game of the Year talks, boiling over into an all-out turf war between Metal Gear and The Witcher.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right, I think MGSV is marginally shorter. That, and a whole lot more susceptible to being spoiled. Witcher 3 is more about the experience than any big story revelations, and the ending is influenced by some amount of player choice anyway. Plus, not sure if you're a fan of the Metal Gear Scanlon series, but that's coming up soon.

MGSV seems like the one to get done now. Both are great, but wildly different. The thought that playing one would somehow impact the experience of the other seems insane to me. Like, do you just quit playing games when you find a new one you think you like the most?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Ofc you can take both games to the extreame but its safe to say Witcher is the longer game. If you compare the playtimes of everyone who has completed the games i would expect the avarage being at least twice as long for witcher.

@lionslinden: Well i think its you that should tell how you did it. I have never heard of anyone 100% witcher 3 under 100h before.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I spent about 80 hours in MGS5, doing everything that pertain to story, and a lot of side ops (though haven't done many of the replay mission side ops), and I spent about 160 hours in The Witcher 3 doing everything; just, perhaps not all of the random encounters I'm sure, as I don't know how many there are of those. And I didn't hit every little question mark part in the open sea of Skellige, as I know for a fact it's just loot from boats, so it's not needed to me. As for what to play first... Whatever you'd like. The Witcher 3 is a fine choice. To get through them as quickly as possible (and this is obvious), you're going to be playing for hours straight in just a sitting, otherwise many new title releases will have come and gone; that said, you'll probably be willing to.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Play them concurrently. Also throw in some Destiny, Forza 6, and whatever else you've got lying around. Never finish anything. It's working out wonderfully for me.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming you plan to play the other major releases that will eat of massive chunks of time? Do you think you could save the witcher 3 until after the last major DLC releases? By then there might be a sell on the game, should you not already own it, and the dlc, and you could play the game in a 'zeightgeist' similar to many poeple who will be NG+ing it at that point (like me).

Really though, they are wildly differnt games. Like, one is action and a lot of dialog/choice/story. The other is very much stealth and gameplay/base building. The story is secondary (and/or many many hours in). If the story of the witcher appeals to you more then the gameplay of MGS5, you have your answer. if you don't have a preference then..yah MGS5 likely.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

haha it's a flat out tie

Play The Witcher 3 first. For real.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By edgaras1103

@geraltitude: so if witcher is like a fine wine then what would mgs 5 be?

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would play them concurrently so you don't get burnt out on either since both can be over 100 hours.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50% to 51% haha. A mathematically impossible outcome!

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think MGSV is the better game, but I would probably play The Witcher 3 first. It would be really hard for me to go straight from the awesome MGS gameplay to playing maybe a 100 hours of "alright" Witcher 3 gameplay.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Witcher 3 is better in just about every way but maybe the controls, and even then I got used to it pretty fast. Try it first, then get MGS outta your system so you can play it again on NG+

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whatever you do, damn duder, don't play them back-to-back. You'll burn out on the second one, no matter which you try first. Unless you are a crazy person...are you? Then do it, fuck, what do I know? *flies away on cartoon jet*

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magusmaleficus: Nah I'll probably play something in the middle... like Fallout 4 (jokes)

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mirado

Let the legend come back to life!

(That means play MGSV.)

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say play The Witcher 3, although its coming from someone who hasn't been 'grabbed' by MGS5 a few hours in, whereas The Witcher 3 grabbed me from its opening sequence.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think witcher is a better game in a lot more ways than mgs 5. I put 50 hours in mgs and stopped. And started witcher 3 ng + and can not wait for expansion.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher probably has more story, but I personally think Witcher plays terribly, so getting to the story isn't any fun. I bought it near launch and have only put maybe 4-5 hours into it. MGSV on the other hand I absolutely devoured.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played The Witcher 3, so I shouldn't really be voting seeing as I haven't played both games, but I cannot deny how good MGSV is. I've put about 115 hours into it and am still only 75% completion. Just got the trophy for completing every side op and I'm thinking about deleting my file so I can start again.Though the story in Metal Gear is kinda sparse, what's there is good. Besides I'm pretty sure with the new DLC announced for The Witcher, a GOTY edition will be released soon enough.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

depends on what you like more i'd say, witcher 3 if you like RPGs more, or MGSV if you like a bit of shooting and stealth.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

Go with Metal Gear for the zeitgeist as you mentioned and to reduce your potential exposure to spoilers. Metal Gear games always are deeply impacted by spoilers given how Kojima weaves his tales.

Also if you play MGS V now you can participate in MGO at your leisure when that's ready (and presumably at the height of its activity).

Witcher still has more Siingle Player content DLC enroute,so there actually is a small benefit to waiting on that one.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It depends on what you're looking for. The Witcher has far and away better storytelling, but Metal Gear has dramatically better gameplay. What are you in the mood for?

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love the Witcher but it has a lot of flaws. play MGS V first.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Witcher 3 is a better game on the whole in my opinion but I'd play MGS V right now since that's the thing just now.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 is the slightly better game in my opinion, but both of them are some of the greatest game ever made, so it saddens me a little that people here shit on one to highlight the other, but I guess that's the nature of things. They have to do the same on the game of the year deliberations.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kind of in a similar situation in that I intend to play both games and hadn't already started the Witcher 3 when MGSV came out, and I decided to play MGSV first mainly because I want to be able to enjoy the story for myself before it gets spoiled for me, and I really want to watch the next installment of Metal Gear Scanlon as that goes up. So yeah, my vote is for MGSV - not necessarily because I think YOU should do the same, but if I was in your position (and I guess I kind of was) that's what I would do (and did!). Either way, you're still going to end up playing 2 of this year's best games so you can't really make a wrong decision. Enjoy! :D

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zombievac

@edgaras1103: Clearly, if The Witcher 3 is like a fine wine (it only gets better with age), MGS V is like the dankest of hydroponic bud (it gets better with a little age... ahem, curing... meaning a couple patches are needed and some fixes to the online connectivity as well - but then it starts to only get a bit more stale because there won't be any DLC or major addition/patches from then on, it seems).

2015 has been a fantastic year... Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, MGS V... and we still have Fallout 4, etc coming, as well as all the great indie titles and things like Until Dawn. What a GREAT YEAR!

Though, I disagree with some peoples' opinions that 2014 was a shitty year, because I enjoyed the hell out of some of those games as well, like Far Cry 4 (the best 2-player coop game ever made, hands down!), and GTA 5 (yeah, ok, it came out at the end of 2014, but really came into it's own in 2014 with GTA Online finally being functional, and then the next gen & PC releases...)

mitchuation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: ewait until fall out 4 joins the discussion. People are also forgetting another 10/10 game. Mother trucking mario maker What a game

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start playing the Witcher 3 now. In a couple weeks the first DLC will drop and you'll be able to jump directly into that. The game's a blast.

MGSV can wait until MGO is patched in.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

As a big MGS fan I'd say play the Witcher 3 first.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are so different though. One is an action game, the other a story heavy RPG.

My personal preference? I like action RPG's, but I don't think The Witcher 3 is going to make my top-10 this year. MGS5 is on top.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've stopped listening to the bombcast because of the MGS V talk on there for now. There's nothing too much said about the witcher on there so I'd say finish MGSV first.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MGS V because Spoilers and because Witcher 3 still has Story DLC coming out, which MGS V likely won't have.

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should play MGS V, all my friends at work have been talking about it and I am actually considering getting it. The only thing that is holding me back is that I have never really been a fan of the series.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start both and finish neither, the American way.

Orrrr alternate between the two and severely confuse yourself, or make up your own narrative about a soldier moving between both worlds and wondering which is reality and which is in his head.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MGS V is one of my favorite games I've ever played. I've barely scratched the surface with it and I feel pretty confident in that assessment. If it weren't for the microtransactions and timers it would be unmatched.

The Witcher 3 will probably keep dropping in price quicker than Metal Gear. I'd say grab Metal Gear and then pick up the Witcher 3 at a good low price. The Witcher 3 is also super good.