#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

#2 Edited by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

I guess it's my turn to create a 'which game should I play next' thread :o I'm not interested in any upcoming AAA games until Far Cry 3, so I want something relatively big from my backlog to play before then, and I've been putting both of these off for a while.

I suppose I should mention that both of these are on PC.

Also, this is a two-party system :P so don't suggest any other candidates.

Edit: ok, Alpha Protocol it is, thanks for the input :D

#3 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

I enjoyed L.A. Noire for most of the part so I'll throw my vote on it. Haven't played Alpha Protocol though.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

L.A Noire is a fantastic game, one of my favourite games from last year. From what I played from Alpha Protocol, it seemed like a bad Mass Effect game.

#5 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1471 posts) -

@BeachThunder:

It depends on what your game preferences are. If you are under the impressions that L.A. Noire is a GTA-style game, you're in for a big disappointment. It's got a lot more in common with a point and click adventure game than a sandbox game. Other than the (mostly optional) driving sequences and very rare gun fights, it's mostly evidence collecting and interrogations. If that appeals to you, I absolutely recommend L.A. Noire.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@BeachThunder:

It depends on what your game preferences are. If you are under the impressions that L.A. Noire is a GTA-style game, you're in for a big disappointment. It's got a lot more in common with a point and click adventure game than a sandbox game. Other than the (mostly optional) driving sequences and very rare gun fights, it's mostly evidence collecting and interrogations. If that appeals to you, I absolutely recommend L.A. Noire.

Yep, I'm aware of what kind of game it is - and I like adventure games.

#7 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I've tried to get into Alpha Protocal multiple times but I find the opening sections so dull it pushes me away. I was eager to stick with it because of all the praise for its story and dialogue system but so far I just haven't been able to find a way in.

With LA Noire on the other hand, while it has a lot of flaws, it pulled me in consistently until the end. What they've tried to do with the gameplay is interesting. It's essentially a variation on point and click type stuff, so if you dislike adventure games then that would be a negative for LA Noire. The city's beautifully crafted and the atmosphere is rich (I actually played in B&W since I was on a film noir kick at the time). The downsides were that the interrogations are pretty much broken and I didn't find the overarching story or characters all that interesting, even though it's satisfying on a case by case basis.

#8 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1471 posts) -

@BeachThunder:

Then go for it, the story and characters are interesting and the interrogations are pretty cool.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

I actually played in B&W since I was on a film noir kick at the time

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do if/when I play the game.

#10 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -

I haven't played Alpha Protocol but L.A. Noire is fantastic.

#11 Posted by MEATBALL (3082 posts) -

LA Noire plays better and is a lot more polished but Alpha Protocol does more interesting things with player agency. So um...I don't know, for my money I prefer LA Noire but that's mostly because I prefer games that have a polished feel in the mechanics. Alpha Protocol plays really poorly.

#12 Edited by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Unless you got a super powerful PC LA Noir is going to be a terrible experience. I have yet to try it on my new PC, but when I tried it on my old machine, one that could play games like Skyrim and both Crysis games at high resolutions/settings without a hitch, couldn't even get LA Noir to run above 2 FPS on the lowest settings with everything turned off. It was literally a slide show. So for that my vote goes for Alpha Protocol. Though looking at the release date for Fry Cry 3 you could probably get through both games as it's still a full month away.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a bunch of great ideas wrapped in a broken package, but it's worth playing just the same.

I never finished LA Noire (although I just bought a 360 copy so that I can give it another shot... I REALLY liked what I played of it, but I was put off the first time because my PC struggles with it and there's one case that was terribly designed and left a bad taste in my mouth) but I have to recommend it. It's a divisive game, but it is extremely refreshing to see in this day and age. We need more games like this.

#14 Posted by audioBusting (1481 posts) -

Alpha Protocol surpassed my expectations while L.A. Noire a bit disappointed me, so I'm voting Alpha Protocol. I think that game is way underrated.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

LA Noire is poor - play Alpha Protocol.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Unless you got a super powerful PC LA Noir is going to be a terrible experience.

I have: GTX 570, i5-2500k, 8GB RAM, Vista 64.

#17 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Unless you got a super powerful PC LA Noir is going to be a terrible experience. I have yet to try it on my new PC, but when I tried it on my old machine, one that could play games like Skyrim and both Crysis games at high resolutions/settings without a hitch, couldn't even get LA Noir to run above 2 FPS on the lowest settings with everything turned off. It was literally a slide show. So for that my vote goes for Alpha Protocol. Though looking at the release date for Fry Cry 3 you could probably get through both games as it's still a full month away.

The flipside to this is you can make LA Noire look stunning if you have a powerful rig. Forcing proper AA or Supersampling AA made it look really great. You'll need to use the AA compatibility bit '0x004100C0' for this if you're using an nVidia GPU. It's not a game that's friendly to frame rates though, no doubt.

#18 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@crusader8463 said:

Unless you got a super powerful PC LA Noir is going to be a terrible experience.

I have: GTX 570, i5-2500k, 8GB RAM, Vista 64.

Would be fine, I have a similar rig but with SLI. As I recall, SLI doesn't do much for LA Noire anyhow.

#19 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol a lot more than L.A. Noire.

#20 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

If you can get through Saudi Arabia (AKA: the tutorial), Alpha Protocol is one of the best games I've ever seen. I only ran into one bug, and a restart from checkpoint rectified it.

#21 Posted by UitDeToekomst (705 posts) -

I found LA Noire exceedingly dull. Alpha Protocol isn't a great game, but I found it much more enjoyable than LA Noire.

#22 Posted by BlackLagoon (1384 posts) -

I've only played Alpha Protocol, and I enjoyed in thoroughly. The PC version apparently has some issues though. I think a lot of them can be avoided by playing with a console controller, but there were also a set of .ini file tweaks floating around for those willing to muck about with those.

Two quick tips... Use you active skills as much as possible, even though switching between them is awkward, using them all effectively is key to being good at the game. Also, keep an eye on your armor's noise dampening rating - trying to be stealthy while wearing noisy armor usually gets you spotted pretty quickly.

#23 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

I will always answer Alpha Protocol because that game is fantastic.

#24 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Go for L.A Noire if you're searching for a deliberate and methodical game. Go for Alpha Protocol if you're looking for an interesting albeit clunky RPG. I personally voted for Alpha Protocol because I had more fun playing it than L.A Noire.

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Both are flawed but enjoyable games, but my vote is for Alpha Protocol, especially if you do more than one play through, the way the story branches and changes based on your choices and actions is pretty amazing. It's basically the RPG Bioware should have made, before they started making nothing but action games.

#26 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a more interesting title, although you're going to curse the game to oblivion when it bugs out. LA Noire is enjoyable, but overhyped and bland. Storywise, LA Noire is poor as fuck and AP's really good.

#27 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

L.A. Noire has some interesting gameplay, but the story's kind of shit.

Alpha Protocol has bad gameplay and a boring story though, so you should skip it.

#28 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2228 posts) -

Just play both. I never understand these threads because you can just play both and not force yourself to play just one. Both are longer than average games, so instead of burning out playing one, switch up every so often. This works for me and causes me to play games longer than usual.

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I've played both and I'll say Alpha Protocol.

#30 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6387 posts) -

L.A. Noire is highly overrated (not a bad game by any means, but it has significant issues that I felt were largely overlooked by critics upon its release), but Alpha Protocol is fantastic and you need to play that as soon as you possibly can. What a gem that game is.

#31 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

Alpha Protocol, just make sure to focus you points into one thing.

#32 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I personally loved Alpha Protocol, it's a really solid game with a good story line. I personally thought LA Noire was really boring and never ended up finishing it. My vote goes to Alpha Protocol.

#33 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is quite good if you can look past some poor design choices and a kind of weak story. L.A. Noire requires less concessions. Simple answer - play both.

#34 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a bad game so I would go with LA Noire.

#35 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

L.A. Noire by leaps and bounds

#36 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

Alpha Protocol surpassed my expectations while L.A. Noire a bit disappointed me, so I'm voting Alpha Protocol. I think that game is way underrated.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

#37 Posted by ajamafalous (11866 posts) -

The Alpha Protocol PC port was super finicky in the control department for me, to the point where I didn't make it past 30-45 minutes in. I can't remember exactly what the issue was but it was enough to make me uninstall it.

Can't weigh in on LA Noire because I haven't installed it yet, but I remember some people complaining about the port. Not sure if it was just a GTAIV situation where it's fine if you have the power for it, but if I were you I'd look into both ports before you make up your mind.

#38 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

Looks like I'm going with Alpha Protocol; sorry L.A. Noire, I'll play you eventually, I promise! :o

#39 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10542 posts) -

I know you've already decided, but I want to throw my hat in for Alpha Protocol as well. The game is a little janky, but it's one of the best examples I can think of for making it feel like the decisions you make in the game have actual impact on the story.

Plus, it has one of the best Nolan North performances out there.

#40 Posted by clush (410 posts) -

I've played about half of L.A.Noire before i got bored with it. Alpha Protocol I played back to back like three times. So good choice :)

#41 Posted by adam1808 (1386 posts) -

I loved the hell out of LA Noire. Never had any problems with it once I mastered what "doubt" meant. Then again that game was made for me. Recommended.

#42 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

LA Noire is complete horseshit. It will actually make you angry at yourself.

#43 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3186 posts) -

L.A. Noire is pretty darn good, got it on Games on Demand earlier this year and loved it. Though how the interview options' names got changed in the final game might throw off some people. Either way, it is a damn fine adventure game. 

#44 Posted by Synaptic (305 posts) -

Cool the community chose Alpha Protocol. It actually lends itself to at least two playthroughs because it locks you into customizing your character a certain way. Enjoyable to see how missions play out with different handlers, I did a stealth run first time which was great. The second time I did all out action, which was awesome. The people you hang out with going that route (SIE and Ben? i think thats his name) are fun

#45 Posted by leebmx (2223 posts) -

I couldn't get past the first proper mission in Alpha Protocol, I really wanted to give it a chance but it was just so poorly made. Clunky controls, terrible environments and so hard to believe in. I died a few times a took it out - apparently there is good stuff in there but from what I hear none of it is actually playing the game.

LA Noire on the other hand was no way near as good as I wanted it to be, but it was still very interesting and really evocative of the period. Its a game I think you have to see if you are interested in gaming and how it is progressing as I don't think we will see the use of that face tech in a long time. It can also be a lot of fun, the interviewing is cool if a little busted and there are some good foot chase sequences. It is basically a $50mil adventure game so if you have any love for that genre you should jump in.

#46 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

@Hizang said:

L.A Noire is a fantastic game, one of my favourite games from last year. From what I played from Alpha Protocol, it seemed like a bad Mass Effect game.

L.A. Noire is a great game overally where, like said, Alpha Protocol has a cool premise and some cool mechanics, but still kind of a B-game, which is fine. I mean sometimes I am in the mood for an off-beat B-game rather than a AAA game.

#47 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Alpha protocol is a game you want to love but that doesn't make it good. There are lots of apologist for it (and in a few ways I see their point). However, the fact remains that it's a bad game so you should play la noire first, it's awesome.

#48 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

L.A. Noire is a great game on ps3.

#49 Posted by falling_fast (2190 posts) -

they're completely different, and they're both great. play both of them :]