#151 Edited by MrNood1e (86 posts) -

Late 80s/early 90s PC games are what got me. Technically the first game I ever played was on an NES, but I didn't get hooked until I started playing some PC games.

#152 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

SNES and Genesis

#153 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

Probably PC. I got started early, at roughly 3. I don't even remember what the games were... Hmm lemme take a stab at remembering one... Treasure Cove! Yep, that's the one. Along with various other games. I seem to remember playing jeopardy. Also one of the other hundreds of games my dad kinda-semi-not-really-definitely 'borrowed' from the engineers at IBM. But then I got a genesis for christmas at some point. So I guess that counts as the first console that got me into gaming.

#154 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

@sergio said:

Atari 2600.

Yup. That and an Apple IIe.

#155 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

please don't call me a gamer. I'm just a guy that plays a lot of video games.

Hi. The Hotspot from 2006 called and they want their label rant back.

#156 Posted by GnomeonFire (715 posts) -

The N64 got me into gaming. The gameboy advanced and PS2 pushed hard into gaming as a hobby more than an interest.

#157 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -

SNES. Everything else was pretty much before my time or I was too young to remember anyway, but I played most of the NES classics as well. I think the people with the luckiest childhoods either grew up with a NES or a SNES...everything else just doesn't give the same level of nostalgia.

#158 Edited by wafflez (524 posts) -

NES no doubt.

#159 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

PS1 were some of my first baby steps in gaming. PS2 was kind of the same thing at first, wasn't really completing games or actually playing them. I was more entranced by the colors on the screen reacting to what I was doing with the controller. For some reason I was playing crash 3 all over again on the ps2 and I had been playing hours and hours of it. I beat it finally and that's when I fell into the whole rhythm of picking up a game and actually progressing through it.

#160 Posted by Vanick (328 posts) -

The NES. I remember getting that with Mario/ Duck Hunt and the Zapper. I loved that springy clicky sound the trigger on the zapper made.

#161 Edited by JadeGL (821 posts) -

Commodore 64 and Atari 2600. Both were in my home at the same time, but I played games on the Commodore 64 much more. My older brothers taught me how to get the games running and would even play GI Joe or Winter Games with me sometimes. The Atari 2600 was in their room, so it was a rare event if I got to play that, since I would be going into their room to do so.

Moderator Online
#162 Edited by Pudge (883 posts) -

The original Super Mario on NES when I was really little started it, and Halo 2 on XBL sealed the deal.

#163 Posted by coaxmetal (1606 posts) -

@riboflavin said:

that was the gamespot podcast thing right?

#164 Posted by Flappy (2197 posts) -

The Sega Genesis was my first console, but at as kid, it's only natural that playing as Sonic or a Power Ranger would be amazing. I didn't become hardcore or whatever until the PSX/GBC days. However, once the PS2 hit, I took that baby to a whole 'nother level. I easily had 100~ games back then.

#165 Posted by JBG4 (410 posts) -

I'm old, the SNES. I played JRPG's on it and was blown away by Super Metroid and A Link to the Past, two of my favorite games of all time.

I'm nearing thirty now and had it not been for the SNES, and I also have to give credit to the PS1, I wouldn't be as hardcore into games as I am today.

#166 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

I was reading reviews and previews in game magazines in the N64/PSX/Saturn era, so... Then, I guess? Definitely played a ton of games before that on NES, Genesis, SNES and (to a much lesser extent) Atari 2600. Didn't have the internet then, though, so my heavy GameSpot and IGN reading days probably started closer to the PS2/GCN/Xbox era.

#167 Edited by planetary (348 posts) -

@riboflavin said:

@planetary said:
@riboflavin said:

Word. I think yours was Jeff's position. Ryan and Alex may have agreed. Jeff (much younger Jeff) was all like: whoa, no way, labels are tools of the man, man! Carrie was the lone voice of reason on the issue, stating that this "label" (which others might call a "word") was just a linguistic device which provides a shorthand. "Gamer" is fewer syllables than "video games enthusiast", and is perfectly clear in context.

#168 Posted by coaxmetal (1606 posts) -

@riboflavin said:

@planetary said:
@riboflavin said:

Word. I think yours was Jeff's position. Ryan and Alex may have agreed. Jeff (much younger Jeff) was all like: whoa, no way, labels are tools of the man, man! Carrie was the lone voice of reason on the issue, stating that this "label" (which others might call a "word") was just a linguistic device which provides a shorthand. "Gamer" is fewer syllables than "video games enthusiast", and is perfectly clear in context.

I don't really care all that much (though I do a little, I don't like the label I guess) but i've found that it's a fun opinion to tout.

#169 Posted by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

I had the NES, loved my SNES like no other, but it was the original PSX that made me a hardcore gamer.

#170 Edited by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

NES

I remember playing atari and caleco vision even earlier, but barely i was too young to remember them well. Contra and double dragon got me hooked.

#171 Posted by hawkinson76 (359 posts) -

2600. Combat, and then Raiders of the Lost Ark. That trend still holds today,

When I focus ins twitch games and action adventure. That sports game for the Atari, and even adventure, were not fun.

#172 Posted by afrofools (1341 posts) -

PSX.

#173 Posted by MEATBALL (3192 posts) -

As a kid I'd read NMS for SNES news, previews and reviews, so the SNES, I guess, but it was really just a natural progression from an interest that had begun with all of the NES I'd played when I was even younger.

The gen after that was the first where I owned multiple systems - N64 and PSX, where I stopped caring about what system a game was on and just wanted to play great games no matter their home.

#174 Posted by Panelhopper (174 posts) -

For me it's the Sega genesis, I had a powerful bond with that little blue hedgehog lol

#175 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

SNES/PS1

#176 Posted by Hector (3359 posts) -

Nintendo 64 for me.

#177 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -
#178 Posted by Atlas (2436 posts) -

Sega Mega Drive was the initial spark, the Nintendo 64 was the fire.

#179 Posted by ProfessorK (822 posts) -

The original Gameboy. I got it a year before I got an NES and loved it to death, Tetris and Super Mario Land were my shit!

#180 Posted by Brenderous (1099 posts) -

My first PC.

#182 Posted by Rebel_Scum (682 posts) -

Atari 520ST back in '87 where you'd get a lame personal computer with "The Power Pack". An assortment of 20 sweet as arcade games. It effectively was a game machine.

#183 Posted by eskimo (476 posts) -

Commodore 64/PC

Some of my first memories are the family playing games on the Commodore 64. How I wish we could all sit down and do that again today.

#184 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

PS1, got a Genesis before that but apart from some Sonic I didn't really play it that much.

#185 Edited by OneLoneClone (72 posts) -

Arcades got me into gaming. I drew crowds when I played Joust, and taught kids how to deal with the pie factory in Donkey Kong.

Then I won a Commodore 64 in a video game contest and my fate was sealed.

#186 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

The NES at my friend's house. We would start as early as possible so we could get in as much time with Mega Man 2 before his mom would kick us out of the house.

Shit got real when I got a Gameboy for my birthday. With the packed in Tetris I was so good to go.

#187 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

A PS1.....

Yeah, I'm that kid and I'm sorry. Then there was the PS2, and then the XBOX, and then the Xbox 360 and PS3 that really launched me to become an "enthusiast" of gaming.

Oh and the Gameboy Color was a milestone as well.

#188 Edited by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

Pokemon Red on the Gameboy Color.

#189 Posted by MamushiLT (12 posts) -

My brother's NES, I remember playing Super Mario Bros and getting used to the controls practically cheering after I beat the 1st level after dying countless times only to find out there were many more levels to go. I've been hooked ever since.

#190 Edited by craigieh28 (73 posts) -
@wacomole said:

Well the Sinclair Spectrum got me my first job in the industry, but I think the C64 was where everything just clicked for me.

ZX Spectrum, which my parents bought second-hand from one of my neighbours. I had a Videopac (Magnavox Odyssey) before that, but it was the Spectrum that really got me into it for whatever reason.

I assume you guys are from the UK? :)

I was first introduced to gaming via this beauty:

An Amstrad CPC 464, Green Screen. Whilst the Speccy and C64 war was raging in the UK, ther were some of us who made do with this thing. Despite it's limitations, (it had less software that Speccy, and less power than C64 - though this a very reductive argument), it opened up a new world for me I never new existed, and videogames have been a importnat part of my life ever since.

It's why I still, to this day, cannot completely and unreservedly hate this man:

#191 Posted by Dimi3je (312 posts) -

Gameboy & PC

#192 Posted by LunyAlex (7 posts) -

PC. A monochrome laptop.

#193 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I had a NES, PS1, Gameboy, but once I got a PS2 is when I really started getting into games.

#194 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@wacomole said:

Well the Sinclair Spectrum got me my first job in the industry, but I think the C64 was where everything just clicked for me.

@evilnights said:

ZX Spectrum, which my parents bought second-hand from one of my neighbours. I had a Videopac (Magnavox Odyssey) before that, but it was the Spectrum that really got me into it for whatever reason.

I assume you guys are from the UK? :)

I was first introduced to gaming via this beauty:

An Amstrad CPC 464, Green Screen. Whilst the Speccy and C64 war was raging in the UK, ther were some of us who made do with this thing. Despite it's limitations, (it had less software that Speccy, and less power than C64 - though this a very reductive argument), it opened up a new world for me I never new existed, and videogames have been a importnat part of my life ever since.

It's why I still, to this day, cannot completely and unreservedly hate this man:

I vaguely remember that! One of my friends in school had one (in colour), which remains ingrained in my memory because I remember the weird way the arrow keys were laid out.

Sugar should probably go down in history for that "pregnant calculator" quote alone.

#195 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

I started with the NES and progressed from there but it wasn't until the PS2 that I really got into videogames and tried to play them beyond the casual point.

#196 Edited by iGodF4th3R (6 posts) -

i think it was the sega megadrive..bomber man!!!

hi btw

#197 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

The PSX.

#198 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

#199 Posted by Superkenon (1416 posts) -

Basically always been gamin'. Atari 2600 or Commodore 64, I kinda forget which I played with first.

#200 Edited by MackGyver (542 posts) -

Atari 2600.

A truly wonderful console.