American Wasteland.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

I had to look up the series on the wiki to make this list. Its so damn hard to remember which order these games came out. Mostly because I stop caring after 4.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

Oh damn, I missed an INCREDIBLE pun opportunity. 

Which Tony Hawk game OLLIED the shark? 
Hur hur hur.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

I think Proving Ground is where the series lost its way and Ride is where they took it out back and put a bullet in its fucking head.

American wasteland was a little weird but it was still fun and not exactly jumping the shark.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

American wasteland was the first TH i played and said 

Wtf is this shit? 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I only played up to the first Underground, to which it was at that point I knew I wasn't going to like where the series was headin'. 

Also how dare people vote for THPS 4, that game was ace D=

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Don't know. 
But I know which one had you grind a wire to make a big stone sphere roll into a shark to save Painter Bob!

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By benpack

Anything post 4.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

None, because Activision hasn't made a Tony Hawk surfing game with that stupid skateboard controller. It's only a matter of time, though, just you wait.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By FourWude

Underground went the route of Jackass culture and the series never recovered. Project 8 was an OK return to some form, but it was only a blip in a downward spiral.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zombie2011

Wasteland. 

THUG 1 & 2 were the best games imo.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By ZombiePie

Technically it would be Underground 2 seeing how that's when the diminishing returns of the franchise were really pronounced. But Wasteland was the first Tony Hawk that I genuinely thought was terrible.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

I have a question. How many people here can actually tell me what new gameplay features each TH instalment introduced just from memory?

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eric_buck

Tony Hawk's Underground was one of my favourite games. From UG2 onwards they have disappointed me. 

Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Delicious_Brains

I never really played past 4, so beyond that I guess.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By laserbolts

I think it was underground where you can first get off your board and drive cars.  That one.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Illmatic

Last Tony Hawk game I liked was Underground 1, which also happens to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

Underground 2 is one of the games I used to play quite a lot actually even though I thought it strayed far from the original Pro Skater games, I still had a lot of fun with them. After that it felt like the series completely stalled though. 

But Ride and Shred completely killed it. What little was left in P8 is lost now.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nukesniper
@laserbolts said:
" I think it was underground where you can first get off your board and drive cars.  That one. "
Underground killed it for me too. I was glad to see that innovation made (getting off the board), but it didn't do the game favors.  

Up until then, Tony Hawk was THE game to play. I saw him at the Mall of America before THPS2 came out on PSX and before THPS came out on N64. I was pumped from the start and it just died out after THPS4...
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By samfo

I remember how on of the big things in American Wasteland was like how it's a huge open world! But then to get to different areas you had to skate down these tunnels where sometimes it would jitter as if it was loading.
That game was a total bust...

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts
@nukesniper: Yeah i appreciated what they attempted to do with it but man it was horrible and easily began the downward spiral to SHRED.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MysteriousBob

THPS2 was the best of the series, in my opinion. 

Then again, it was the one I played the most.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MysteriousBob said:
" I have a question. How many people here can actually tell me what new gameplay features each TH instalment introduced just from memory? "
THPS2: Manual 
THPS3: Revert
THPS4: Spine (drop?) 
THUG: Caveman
THUG 2: I don't think it introduced anything. 
THAW: No idea, didn't play.
THP8: Those slow motion tricks where you controlled the feet of your guy with the analogue sticks. 
THPG: No idea, didn't play. 
THR: The skateboard you stand on. 
THS: Guys pop up and say rad things when you finish a stage.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By WickedCestus

Underground 2 was where I stopped playing, so I'll say that one.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By FancySoapsMan

American Wasteland. 

It started going downhill with THUG, but at least those games were fun and somewhat funny. American Wasteland was just awful.

SUPERGHOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SUPERGHOST

For me, my interest started to wain with the chacges to Pro Skater 3.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#28  Edited By BeachThunder

Definitely THUG =/

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Simplexity

original THUG was alright for me, underground 2 offered nothing new.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I loved Underground but disliked Underground 2 due to its tendency of just becoming a lame Jackass video game. 

I think Ride is really where the series lost it, after all it was the first game that brought in that horrendous skateboard controller.  

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hourai

I feel like once they finished with Underground 2 the series started going to shit. So, American Wasteland.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Black_Rose

American Wasteland was the first truly horrible Tony Hawk game, and it just went downhill after that. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Barrock

I loved, loved, loved Underground. The customization, the story line, the world. It was amazing. 2 was not nearly as good and was the one where Bam Margera and the Jackass crew came out full force because the game was partially based on Bam's television show. Bam's dad was a damn character. After that it was never the same in my opinion. Although, 8 was better.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RaceKickfist

THUG was the last decent experience I had with the series. I have such fond memories too; creating a (grungy, asshat-looking, angsty teen) version of myself,  racking up huge scores, and landing crazy tricks. It was strangely therapeutic. I rarely even had to think about what I was doing.  It's a shame, because I'm really clamoring for a good skateboarding game these days. I was thinking of maybe picking up proving ground because it's the latest that didnt use awful peripherals. Though now I'm having a lot of second thoughts :\  I know a lot of people would suggest the SKATE series, but every time I tried the demos, I just loathed the gameplay. I hated everything about it. 

I want more good tony hawk. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Proving Ground was when it all went really downhill. Underground was great, Underground 2 was pretty lame, American Wasteland was okay, Project 8 was good, and Proving Ground was just a disaster.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By FreakAche

Underground. That was where it stopped being about solid gameplay and opted to focus on ludicrous story.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fazzle

Underground 2.  I think that's the first Tony Hawk game where I can truly say I didn't enjoy it at all.  Way too much Jackass in it. 

Project 8 was a decent attempt to get the series back on track, but it was too little too late.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUG 2 was the first time I remember not liking a Tony Hawk game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MysteriousBob
@HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" I have a question. How many people here can actually tell me what new gameplay features each TH instalment introduced just from memory? "
THUG 2: I don't think it introduced anything. "
Didn't that introduce the sticker slap? I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time in the PSP version of THUG2 but I'm not sure if thats the game that introduced it. 

All these abilities just empowered your character too much. I'm all for having a wealth of abilities at hand in games, but by the later TH games you could combo literally any situation you could possibly find yourself in. Unlike Skate there was no concept of a line or even a spot. It just turned the game into a risk/reward system of absurdly long combos which didn't require any skill to perform. The environments didn't really matter by the last few TH games. Thats how Skate managed to defeat TH. By making skill and planning matter.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By JoeyRavn

I didn't like the transition from THPS4 to THUG, but that's just me. American Wasteland (stylize it as you want it, I honestly don't remember how it was written) was the first really bad one, though.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By SMTDante89

To echo a few people in this thread, THUG 2.  For the same reasons as well, too much Jackass stuff going on.

Admittedly, I kind of like Jackass, but keep that away from skateboarding games.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Underground 2 is when shit really started to get stupid. The whole Viva La Bam-esque killed it for me.

THUG was the last good one.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jothel

went straight from THUG to AW and AW was the first TH game i played that i just went "oh...hmm...ok then"

also
acronyms

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MysteriousBob said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
Didn't that introduce the sticker slap? I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time in the PSP version of THUG2 but I'm not sure if thats the game that introduced it. "
Yeah, you're right. That was by far the least useful and least used thing they ever introduced. With everything else, I could see how it would make a combo better or something but all I remember about the sticker slap were the missions where you had to use it which is probably why I forgot it was a standard gameplay thing.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AuthenticM

Underground, definitely. THPS4 was and still is the high mark of the series.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By DocHaus

TBH I thought Project 8 was a brief upswing in the franchise but I guess the first sign that Tony Hawk was going down was THUG2. The game where it went past the point of no return was probably Proving Ground. In the end, I voted THUG2.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MysteriousBob
@HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
Didn't that introduce the sticker slap? I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time in the PSP version of THUG2 but I'm not sure if thats the game that introduced it. "
Yeah, you're right. That was by far the least useful and least used thing they ever introduced. With everything else, I could see how it would make a combo better or something but all I remember about the sticker slap were the missions where you had to use it which is probably why I forgot it was a standard gameplay thing. "
You've got the opposite idea. The sticker slap was TOO useful. Normally when you're grinding at speed and are about to hit a wall, thats your combo over. A sticker slap let you reverse direction 180 and maintain your speed/combo. It could also be used to keep you in high areas since it was essentially a wall jump. Thats why I made my point about empowerment.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MysteriousBob said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
Yeah, you're right. That was by far the least useful and least used thing they ever introduced. With everything else, I could see how it would make a combo better or something but all I remember about the sticker slap were the missions where you had to use it which is probably why I forgot it was a standard gameplay thing. "
You've got the opposite idea. The sticker slap was TOO useful. Normally when you're grinding at speed and are about to hit a wall, thats your combo over. A sticker slap let you reverse direction 180 and maintain your speed/combo. It could also be used to keep you in high areas since it was essentially a wall jump. Thats why I made my point about empowerment. "
I think at that point in the series, I was so used to my play style that i'd already adapted to the idea of avoiding walls, especially because of the wallride being so handy.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eric_buck
@Illmatic: Exactly the same for me. THUG was an epic game, but everything after that was pretty lame.