Which upcoming horror game do you plan on playing this October?

• 83 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Which upcoming horror game do you plan on playing this October? (253 votes)

Alien: Isolation 23%
The Evil Within 18%
Both Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within 29%
Neither 30%

Yes, there's also Costume Quest 2...but I'm fairly certain that it isn't intended to be a scary game :|

• 
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm more hopeful for Alien: Isolation but I'm not yet sold on either.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZolRoyce

I don't know about Costume Quest 2 not being scary, dentists are freaky as shit.

I love the Alien franchise so Alien: Isolation is top priority for me but I do plan to play The Evil Within eventually, just probably not the same month, most likely wait for a sale on that one and reviews first.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Alien definitely, but I'm still wary of both of these games. I'll need to know how bullshit Alien ends up being before I play it day one and I need to know if Evil Within is even any good.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't see myself getting the Evil Within.

I might get Alien if the reviews are great, but after Colonial Marines (which I did not buy, but almost pre-ordered) I'm not blind-buying any more Alien games. I realize it's a different developer and all that, and that the buzz from people who've previewed it is very positive, but you license a stinking turd for your property and you lose trust.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I'm interested in both, but only if the reviews are good enough. Otherwise I'll probably play RE: Revelations since I haven't gotten to it yet.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Castiel

Bo, bo, bo, booooOoOoOooOOOOOoooooth... gho, gho, gho, ghoooOOoOoOoOoOOOOOoooost... O_O

And Costume Quest 2. Man, October might be the first good gaming month for me this year. I mean there are three games coming out in the same month that I'm interested in playing. Goddamn 2014 has been a dissapointing year for vidja jams.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More interested in Isolation. But I've been replaying Dead Space the past few years each October, so I might go revisit that.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm holding out hope for both, but I'm not really expecting either to be great experiences. I can always fall back on Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs this October, as I've yet to play it.

nonekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just watch Patrick play any new horror games and try knock off a few horror movies from my backlog instead. I'll get Costume Quest 2 though, I really enjoyed the first one.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ezekiel

I'm not buying The Evil Within until the main game and the DLC cost as much as or less than the game. I will want to play as the protagonist's partner later. Alien: Isolation seems like a better purchase to me right now, especially because it's inspired by the only Alien movie I like. But I might wait for a better price on that too. The pre-order content doesn't interest me.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Unfortunately I have Alien pre ordered because god damnit I love alien and that dlc was enough to have me toss 5 bucks down for it. While I know that the precious Alien game was a complete disaster, word of mouth for this one seems mostly positive except for the difficulty curve which may be better if you are actually playing the game from the start. I'm pretty confident it'll at the very least be a good game. As for The Evil Within I'm a bit more weary. I REALLY want it to be good and if it gets at least decent reviews I'll be down for it in the future.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The Evil Within is enough of a wild card that I will wait for reviews or a sale, the same for Alien.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Neither. Though, depending on the scores that Alien gets, I may be more inclined to pick up a copy somewhere on down the road.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Resident Evil 2 and 3.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Other: Costume Quest 2

I don't differentiate between games or movies that are meant to terrify you or things that are appropriately Halloween themed. I'll use the short hand "scary" to refer to all of the above.

Nothing against the other options, but I'm finding these types of polls are too often missing a "wait and see" option. Either could potentially be cool.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big survival horror fan so I probably go for both. Evil Within seems like a no-brainer for me, only if the reviews of Alien are really bad (I don't expect they will be), as in 2/5 broken gameplay bad, I will not buy it.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Resident Evil 4 HD, The Evil Within, and Costume Quest 2.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, Evil Within.

I'm trying to not hype myself up for it, though.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Alien actually turns out to be a real horror game without guns and all that nonsense then I might try to play that until I end up giving up through fear of weeing myself. Otherwise neither.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, but that's only assuming they are actually good.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

The Evil Within by a land slide. I don't know what it is about that game, but I must have it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 chaser324  Moderator

Maybe The Evil Within. I like the Resident Evil games, but I'm not a fan of "modern horror games" in general (although I think the lackluster efforts of a lot of what shows up on Steam is likely to blame for that).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

@alexw00d said:

If Alien actually turns out to be a real horror game without guns and all that nonsense then I might try to play that until I end up giving up through fear of weeing myself. Otherwise neither.

There are guns :(

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Alien Isolation is made by the people who made the Total War games, seems a weird fit for a game like this and it's published by Sega who are... I don't even know what they are anymore. Evil Within holds more interest for me anyway.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Nothing new. I always go back to the old greats (SH2, Fatal Frame series, etc.) for my horror fix in October. Neither Alien Isolation or The Evil Within really look that interesting to me, but we'll see if that changes when they release.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I WANTED to pre-order The Evil Within, but 80 bones is way too much for a game I'm not sure I'll enjoy. Plus it features a dumb pre-order bonus of extra weapons and ammo, which is just stupid when it's for a horror game. I'd rather play the game as originally designed. I'll wait for reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f
deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best thing to do would be to wait for a QL before making a purchase. I am sure Alien will get one and I think at least Patrick will do something with Evil Within if he just mentions it during a morning show. I am hoping for the best, I could use a couple of good horror games next month.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, there's a Costume Quest 2?!?!?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Corevi

Neither of those are Alan Wake 2.

Evil Within looks super janky and I have no particular fondness for the Alien universe (Alien and Aliens are pretty damn good movies though).

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By HeyGuys

Definitely both unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

If possible Evil Within.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i kinda want to check out Evil Within, i have not seen any previews or videos. So maybe i'll go in knowing nothing only RE dude directing.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play both Aliens and The evil within probably, unless the press is aggressively bad for either of them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

Yeah, probably both. I'm a bit more skeptical about The Evil Within, but I hope it's good, because as far as I've seen, while it does have what looks like deliberate clunky movements, it still looks really interesting to me. I'm more interested in The Evil Within because of its horror, while I love Alien because of its atmosphere and sci-fi, not really for its horror, though if it's scary as it's touting to be, then sweet I guess. I want to explore the space station Sevastopol and know what's up with the characters/story. What interests me about The Evil Within is that it looks to take a bunch of different types of horror, like slasher, and psychological, and you don't really see those two together.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I typically avoid engaging #spooks like they're the plague, but I put money into the Neverending Nightmares Kickstarter, soooo... that, I guess. I also have Dead Spaces 1+2 as well as Lone Survivor sitting in my Steam library. Maybe I'll play up the theme this October (probably not).

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Neither, I'm no good at playing horror games. I freeze up at every door and corner in anxiety.

Now, which one am I more excited to watch Patrick play? Alien, for sure. We both want it to be great, and it looks like it might actually happen.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, if I'm going to get one it's going to be The Evil Within. Even if it's got issues, I can't see it being a bad game, at the very least it'll be a pretty solid survival horror game.

To me, Alien Isolation is just such an unknown. In theory, a game based around one Alien stalking you throughout the ship sounds great, but I just don't understand how well that will translate to a supposedly 15 hour long game. I'm not too huge on the run away and hide style of survival horror game, since the mechanics are always either hugely exploitable or just frustrating and not scary. If it ends up being great, and not just Amnesia in space for 15 hours, I'll probably pick it up instead, but right now, The Evil Within just seems like a safer bet.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yes, F all these other shit game

it will happen, someday

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it will happen, someday

Sam Lake said it was gonna happen after Quantum Break and he's Max fucking Payne, so there's no reason to not believe him.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The Evil Within. Even if that game turns out to be a fiery crater I still want to be there on the frontlines to talk about it.

Einhert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Einhert

Honestly fuck SEGA, I am mainly on PC and they have ruined two great devs on there and are cutting total war to pieces to be sold as DLC.

They also published colonial marines so that makes me very wary of isolation, in all honesty Isolation is not worth the day 1 buy risk for me as I bought CM and it was a massive disappointment; call me entitled but they owe me a game after I spent £30 on the travesty that was CM and I am sure as hell not giving them the money for another.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@corruptedevil said:

it will happen, someday

The way I understand that is we're celebrating the fact that neither of them are Alan Wake, becuase Alan Wake was the most tedious nature walk simulator I've ever played.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Evil Within, because it's a new ip but what I've seen of it I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. I've read that it's a game you can get stuck in by not making smart choices/conserving supplies which isn't something I like unless the game is designed to be beaten in about an hour or two like FTL.

Alien, while I hope is good I can't see being anything other than an incredibly buggy ass mess of a game. If it gets good reviews and isn't a buggy ass mess though I'll check it out.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@corruptedevil said:

it will happen, someday

The way I understand that is we're celebrating the fact that neither of them are Alan Wake, becuase Alan Wake was the most tedious nature walk simulator I've ever played.

Alan Wake being one of the best games of the last generation is what I'm celebrating.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@bigjeffrey said:

@corruptedevil said:

it will happen, someday

Alan Wake being one of the best games of the last generation is what I'm celebrating.

I can't imagine why anyone would possibly think it was "good" much less the "best of the generation" unless you've never played a video game in your life before.

But not to derail, I think I'm interested more in Alien but I think Evil Within might play better if that makes any sense.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I can't imagine why anyone would possibly think it was "good" much less the "best of the generation" unless you've never played a video game in your life before.

And you think the Myst series and Borderlands 2 are good. We should just agree to disagree.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

And you think the Myst series and Borderlands 2 are good. We should just agree to disagree.

The Myst series were an amazing adventure with fun logical puzzle for their time. They were essentially Fez but with realistic graphics (for the times) and puzzles that were a lot more logic based. I had tons of notebooks filled with notes and doodles, it was awesome.

Borderlands 2 is just dumb fun.

Alan Wake was running through the same looking forest back and forth, seeing the same canned animation of shadows running out of the forest. There are some fun set pieces there. Fighting the tractor or the tornado, but the bulk of the game felt very long winded and boring to me. Maybe you need to have some sort of irreverent appreciation for Twin Peaks to enjoy it which I simply lacked. Mechanically it was a sound game, I just thought it was incredibly dull - and this is coming from someone who as you say enjoyed the Myst games.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Evil Within looks super janky and I have no particular fondness for the Alien universe (Alien and Aliens are pretty damn good movies though).

Isn't it supposed to be Janky?Most survival horror games are kinda like that. I mean, it's supposed to be difficult, so even the regular enemies need to posses some sort of threat. Doesn't the Jankyness enforce that?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them. These games can be hot garbage, but I have to find out for myself

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers