Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon?

• 138 results
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Poll Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon? (829 votes)

PS2 versions of Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater. It has to be as pure as possible! 10%
    PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence. They're still the definitive versions. 17%
    The HD Collection versions. I don't want to watch SD video. 72%

For those who don't know, there's actually a handful of differences between the various editions of MGS2 and 3. As a huge fan of Metal Gear, I want Drew to have what I feel is the best experience with each game possible, which isn't the HD Collection versions. Curious how other people feel, I'm also gonna list the differences between each version so everyone can make the best choice possible. Some of the stuff is probably irrelevant (like the VR Missions in 2) but I figured I'd include them anyways.

WARNING, MAJOR AND MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

2: Sons of Liberty - PS2

• Thermal Goggles vision is completely red, like it appears in MGS1.
    • None of the extras added to Substance (Obviously)
    • Confirm is Circle, Cancel is X
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2: Substance - PS2

• Thermal Goggles are more realistic, using several colors to denote heat.
    • Some minor dialogue changes in various spots
    • Some minor new cutscenes added
    • + VR Missions added
    • + Snake Tales added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Casting Theater added
    • + RAD AS HELL SKATEBOARDING MINIGAME
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2 - HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Substance for PS2 but with various differences
    • - Minor graphical inaccuracies, mainly relating to 2D effects like lightning
    • - Minor gameplay inaccuracies
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as doors now saying "Metal Gear 2 Guns of Patriots
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Skateboarding Minigame removed
    • Confirm is X, Cancel is Circle
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD

3: Snake Eater - PS2

• Overhead camera only
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • Downloadable camoflouge (downloads no longer available)
    • None of the extras from Subsistence (Obviously)
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: Subsistence - PS2

• + Added option for either overhead camera or original fixed camera
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • + New levels added to Snake vs Monkey
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • + Downloadable camoflouge all on disk, must be installed to memory card from Disc 2
    • + Several new camoflouges added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Secret Theater added
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Subsistence, but with various differences
    • - Minor graphical inaccuracies, mainly relating to 2D effects like lightning
    • - Minor gameplay inaccuracies
    • - Snake Eater theme is several seconds out of sync with the visuals during the titlecard sequence
    • - Snake always has an eyepatch on the titlescreen, rather than it being added after losing his eye in the story
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as Snake's helmet in the intro now saying "Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater"
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Snake vs Monkey minigame and unlockables removed
    • - Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls removed
    • Downloadable camoflouge is available through the camo menu, but only unlocked after beating the game
    • - Boss Rush removed
    • - Secret Theater removed
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD
     • 
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Edit: Huh. Was able to edit the OP, but then the edits didn't stick. Anyways, a few more differences/fixes.

Subsistence: Meant to say you have the option between the original overhead camera and a new 3D camera.

MGS2: Information entered at a node has been reduced to just the player's first name and day/month of birth (no year). All easter eggs related to entering developer names have been removed, and a scene in the ending loses some impact with just the player's first name.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Has to be HD. I know it doesn't have rad as hell skateboarding game but they look and play 10000% better than their PS2 counterparts imo.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesebob: Look I could agree with, even with some of the visual inaccuracies, but the HD and PS2 versions play more or less identically. There are no changes in control, and the only gameplay differences are super minor inaccuracies like the hitbox for the cardboard box being either smaller or wider now (I don't even remember which because it's such a tiny difference)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The version that was originally released on PS2. If that's what is in the Legacy Collection than that's fine- since those are in HD it will probably make the video look better or whatever. That's the one I'm going to be playing anyway.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cheesebob

@TechnoSyndrome: Dat 60fps MGS3 though. So silky smoooooooooooooooth. Plus I bet no one, not even Dan, will notice the weird inaccuracies with the graphics and the Snake Eater song not matching with the title screen.

I never used the cardboard boxes in MGS2 or 3, I never needed them, so maybe Drew will be the same? Whose to say because 2 and 3 is so far in the future right now.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@cheesebob said:

@TechnoSyndrome: Dat 60fps though. So silky smoooooooooooooooth. Plus I bet no one, not even Dan, will notice the weird inaccuracies with the graphics and the Snake Eater song not matching with the title screen.

I never used the cardboard boxes in MGS2 or 3, I never needed them, so maybe Drew will be the same? Whose to say because 2 and 3 is so far in the future right now.

Oh shit right, I didn't even think of the framerate's effect on gameplay, I thought you meant the mechanics. Yeah, as far as responsiveness goes HD is definitely better.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Realistically it's gonna be the HD collection. No way they're dragging out a PS2 or PS3 fat just for this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesebob: Look I could agree with, even with some of the visual inaccuracies, but the HD and PS2 versions play more or less identically. There are no changes in control, and the only gameplay differences are super minor inaccuracies like the hitbox for the cardboard box being either smaller or wider now (I don't even remember which because it's such a tiny difference)

The free camera control makes the HD version way less infuriating.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome said:

The free camera control makes the HD version way less infuriating.

Yeah, playing original Snake Eater was a pain back when it came out, in 2014 it's practically unplayable. It would be a surefire way to get Drew to hate the game.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GabrielCantor

Since they probably wouldn't do any non-main game extras anyway, I feel like HD is the easy choice. If I'm reading that list right, the only real bummer (to me) is losing the dream and associated radio conversations in MGS3. I'm assuming that means you lose the "Big Boss is afraid of vampires" and "Sigints shit dream" convos? Those are both incredible.

This reminded me that the "Casting Theater" existed in MGS2 though and how much fun that was. Replacing Vamp with pretty much any one else was always good.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

PS2 Updated Versions. Snakeboarding, Guy Savage and Snake vs Monkey are too good.

@hunkulese@technosyndrome Free camera was in Subsistance on PS2 as well.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it has to be HD collection for the sake of the camera in 3. And convenience, although I doubt Drew would be doing both games back to back.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@epidehl: Also the amazing moment where Drew loads his save game and instead of MGS3 he's playing a weird vampire action game. But yeah, it'd be sacrificing nice HD visuals for most of the game for one moment. I could see Dan talking Drew into checking out some of the side stuff like the skateboarding and ape escape minigame though. Plus I like the camera setup they've got for MGS1 right now, if the game were widescreen they'd have to squish the overall picture in order to get their cameras on-screen.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i would find it a bit more authentic if they kept the series looking age appropriate of the time they where released. No HD versions until MGS4.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this will be up to Dan's discretion anyway, seeing as he has everything on his Solid Shelf.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

The HD versions, because there's very little reason not to. I played all of these versions at one point or another and yet I see absolutely no reason to ever go back to the PS2 versions for nostalgic purposes. The HD version is better without sacrificing anything as far as I'm aware. Also, in terms of logical progression of Metal Gear Scanlon, I feel like they need to play an MGS3 version that allows free camera control. It would allow for the perfect journey through the evolving series; playing the original PSX game made a lot of sense. Then, he'll move into MGS2, which is better in pretty much better in every way. After that, MGS3 would offer a game-changing upgrade in terms of playability with that controllable camera, and MGS4, finally, basically controls like a modern game.

And then they should play MGS5, because, based on the TGS demo at least, that game looks like it might be worth picking up for the gameplay alone. But they'll finish long before that comes out, I suppose.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The HD versions, easily. The differences are miniscule, and the HD Collection is one of the best remasters around. Plus, MGS3 especially benefits GREATLY because of the FPS bump.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I'm surprised that the amount of people who want them to play the originals is so small.

Odie_Esty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i would find it a bit more authentic if they kept the series looking age appropriate of the time they where released. No HD versions until MGS4.

That would be a very kojima way of doing it, sort of like how in Snake Eater 3D, after BB loses his eye there's no more 3d in first person view.

The HD versions would be ideal, but the extras missing from them HAVE TO BE SEEN. ps2 versions of rerelease.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudacles said:

And then they should play MGS5, because, based on the TGS demo at least, that game looks like it might be worth picking up for the gameplay alone. But they'll finish long before that comes out, I suppose.

I highly doubt that. Short of a catastrophic delay I can't see it not coming out by June and if they are playing the entire series (1-4, PW and GZ) then that will take a long while.

Dan and Drew should totally play Peace Walker co-op.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoOzak

HD. I doubt they would've played all those extra modes anyway. Although I did like the dream sequence in 3 and it led to a pretty great codec conversation with Sigint.

Loading Video...

Odie_Esty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt that. Short of a catastrophic delay I can't see it not coming out by June and if they are playing the entire series (1-4, PW and GZ) then that will take a long while.

Dan and Drew should totally play Peace Walker co-op.

I'm betting on March personally. It's more of a hope I guess since it's my birthday in march and I could definitely scrounge up the money then.

Also Dan needs to play co-op with Drew because Peace Walker SUCKS solo.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK THIS.

Honestly, I voted HD collection but seeing how much they changed now I'm torn. I would personally show friends the original version intended for the time it was released.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting question! Initially, I was initially thinking that he should play the HD versions simply for the improved visuals, but I wonder if that undermines the point of Drew experiencing the series as Dan (and many of us) did the first time around.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Wemibelle

I vote one of the PS2 versions because the pressure-sensitive buttons on the Dualshock 2 make the controls FAR superior; otherwise, you have to do weird finger gymnastics to aim and put you gun away.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbdoeden: At the same time though I would never show anybody MGS3 with the original camera. I think the PS2 rereleases are a good middle-ground of fixing things while still being appropriate to the hardware of the era.

@wemibelec90: Actually the PS3 version of the HD Collection still has the pressure-sensitive buttons, only the 360 had to get creative to come up with ways around that. (Most of which I think actually work pretty well, but if they do the HD Collection I'm sure it'll be on PS3)

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

HD collection. No question about it. The only thing is (and my experience is only with the 360 version) is that you have to do some finger maneuvering in order to make up for the lack of the pressure sensative buttons not being present on the xbox 360 controller (no idea if the ps3 controller has pressure sensative buttons)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS2 on HD collection, MGS3 Subsistence.

That monkey minigame is the only reason. If they don't care about that, then HD collection for both.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Do you have comparison images for these visual and 'gameplay' inaccuracies? I'd like to see what you are talking about. I've only played the originals.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think the HD collection. Drew isn't really missing anything by not playing those games on the PS3, besides a few trivial bits. I'd be interested in seeing Substance and Subsistence anyway, since I never owned those. HD Collection for sure.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@kylenalepa: in the case of MGS 3 I would much rather have Drew have the option of the free camera that the HD collection gives. It's such a game changer that it would be a crime to have him play the original ps2 release.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@alistercat: As I said it's all minor stuff, so I hope nobody flips out on me and goes "THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT, WHO CARES?!", I'm just noting all the differences. The actual images are a lot bigger, so click the thumbnails to see the differences clearer.

Missing rain effects, rain no longer splashes off characters and objects, rope is missing in first and third shots.
    Missing rain effects, rain no longer splashes off characters and objects, rope is missing in first and third shots.

Bandanna does not blow in the wind correctly, missing rain effects once again, missing lightning effects.
    Bandanna does not blow in the wind correctly, missing rain effects once again, missing lightning effects.

Missing bugs during Fortune fight.
    Missing bugs during Fortune fight.
    New lighting engulfs the geometry during certain cutscenes with The End
    New lighting engulfs the geometry during certain cutscenes with The End

Another example of the lighting blocking out elements it didn't on PS2
    Another example of the lighting blocking out elements it didn't on PS2
    One of the changed textures in the HD version,
    One of the changed textures in the HD version, "Metal Gear 2: Guns of Patriots". Gibberish becomes new gibberish.

And not a missing effect, but bonus MGS2 typo! Good ol' Gorge Sears.
    And not a missing effect, but bonus MGS2 typo! Good ol' Gorge Sears.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Master_Funk

Didn't Dan say he bought the PS3 collection recently. They'll probably just play whatever version is on there.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The original versions.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Might as well just go HD, just for the sake of simplicity.

At the very least, Subsistence so Drew can see ahead. Otherwise we'll be here all day.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Definitely the new versions. We want the videos to look good, and in the case of MGS3, playing the non-Subsistence version would be criminal. I know that was PS2 too (I played it there), but that's what should be played.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Just play the HD versions and then go back to Substance/Subsistence for the skateboarding and monkey insanity.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just play the HD versions and then go back to Substance/Subsistence for the skateboarding and monkey insanity.

That's a fair compromise, too. I fully support this answer to the conundrum.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

@TechnoSyndrome: Thanks. They do look like minor differences, but completely random and weird. Don't know why they would change those of all things.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originals. That's what it's all about after all, recreating the experience.

Plus seriously....that nightmare sequence in 3 must be shown to Drew.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Seeing as how they opted to go with the original ass version of MGS 1, I feel like they should continue the trend and go with the original ass versions of MGS 2 and 3. Maybe the Substance and Subsistance versions or whatever they're called.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea the HD collections removed so much. I always just assumed they were higher res, 60 FPS versions of the best PS2 versions. This is making me rethink what versions I should play when I do my chronological playthrough.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Presumably they're all errors and things they couldn't get working right. The End screenshots are definitely the result of whatever new lighting engine they're using.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Presumably they're all errors and things they couldn't get working right. The End screenshots are definitely the result of whatever new lighting engine they're using.

It's the post processing they added which 99% of the time looks fantastic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

HD versions are perfectly fine. I am not premium member, so I'm not watching, but I can tell he's playing the original MGS, and that, at least to me, is the way to go, as compared to Twin Snakes, but when it comes to two and three, the HD versions are what he should play. Are they going to do Peace Walker?

Edit - Huh, when I posted I didn't read the entire original post with the differences, but after I did skim through it, it made me want to search for the differences elsewhere, and yeah, there are more differences than I remember, but still, while the originals are perfectly fine as well, I'd still say the HD versions are the way to go. I also recommend for three, he play Subsistence. I have Sons of Liberty, and I don't remember it running at 60fps, then again, I played it a long time ago.

I played the original MGS and MGS2 all the way through again just before Ground Zeroes, and didn't finish three. While I had already beaten the HD versions prior, I had initially been disappointed in two because it just wasn't the experience I remembered, but then like I said, played through it again just before Ground Zeroes, and it surprised me as I had figured some story elements out that I hadn't even known before, which were actually integral to the story (pun not intended), so I had enjoyed it once again.

As for the original MGS, the last time I played all the way through that was probably 2004-05, and it was fantastic, but just playing it before Ground Zeroes, it wasn't the great experience I remember, though even with it, it like MGS2, brought some story elements to my mind that I hadn't even thought about before, or totally forgot about. Playing MGS back to back brings some problems for me, but still, I love Metal Gear and can't wait for Phantom Pain.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I WANT TO CHANGE MY ANSWER!

I WANT TO CHANGE MY ANSWER!

I want to see the original versions I do NOT want HD.

As another person said, I too love the camera setup they have right now. Plus the mini games and not having the lighting mess up cool scenes. ORIGINALS ALL THE WAY!

Forgive me, I wish I could remove my vote for HD

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the HD collection and have no real problems with it.

One thing that annoyed me was at the end of MGS3 when the uniforms are flapping in the wind. The flapping looks terrible. Probably cause it was intended to run at 30, so when it runs at 60 it just looks like its skipping frames.
    Found a video of it (turn down the sound)

Loading Video...

Roadshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I may be crazy but as a general rule I'm opposed to HD remakes on principle. I believe old games should be ported to new systems warts and all without any revisionism. To me HD ports are at best the equivilent of colorized films and at worst can be some Greedo shoots first shit.

I would say they should stick to the PS2 originals, in part because it's supposed to be about revisiting the work that Kojima did originally (not the prettified revisionist version) and secondly because watching Drew get frustrated by the camera in 3 might actually increase the entertainment value of the videos. That said, I realize this is probably a tough sell, so the PS2 Substance/Subsistance versions are probably a reasonable compromise.

Then again I might be crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would want Drew to have the original experience, so he can feel the progression in gameplay and visuals from game to game as it was back then, but to be honest I couldn't care less either way, it's going to be sick regardless.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Strife777

He needs to play the HD versions, no debate in my opinion. There's no reason other than "He needs to experience it like it was", which I think is dumb since the games are the same for all intents and purposes.

I'm guessing it's mostly going to be up to Dan, but the few minor differences are worth it just to get what I feel was a better experience.

Edit: Otherwise, if they don't go for that, they absolutely need to go with the Substance/Subsistence versions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.