• 138 results
Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Which video game buzzword or term to you hate most? (402 votes)

Polish 3%
Digital Dowload 4%
The Cloud 31%
"insert word"-em-up (ie. Shacknews game descriptions) 2%
Triple A 8%
Ludonarrative Dissonance 15%
MMORPG 0%
Cinematic Experience 12%
Franchise 0%
Micro-transaction 6%
Other 16%

I'm generally a pretty happy guy, but sometimes things annoy me. Like the overuse or misunderstanding of all of these video game terms everywhere in marketing-speak or game descriptions. It's not the meaning behind the word I'm talking about, but literally the annoyance with the word(s) itself. Anyway, my vote goes to "Polish". With Shacknews' ridiculous use of the _____-em-up phrase for everything they write about coming in a close second.

#1 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Emergent.

Emergent gameplay.

Emergent AI.

Emergent world.

Which also reminds me of Cliffy B and his GeoW "Emergence Day".

#2 Edited by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

any of the many permutations of 'social.'

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I, too, dislike Polish people in my video games.

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

No single word really comes to mind. The only thing I find annoying is when they have been talking about next gen games and acting like it's some revolution in game design when it's just another shooter or more of the same of another genre. They have not shown anything but more of the same with some half step improvement in graphics from console now to not as good as PC for the last several years.

#5 Posted by Pezen (1632 posts) -
  • Rougelike; Because I have no real connection or experience with said "Rogue", this term means absolutely nothing to me. And since it's been so beaten to death lately in regards to a lot of games, I find myself resenting the term itself. I almost wish they came up with an actual genre word.
  • Realistic; Come on, we're not there yet and even though we are closer, we're far from realistic.
  • Drivatar; What?
  • Levolution; WHAT?
  • Innovative; When in tandem with a completely "one more time" franchise installment presentation.

I could probably think of more, but I am getting way too tired. Also, a personal one of mine which is neither a buzzword or term, but a language thing. When game journalists/writers say;

• "It's one of those games where.."
#6 Edited by Patman99 (1609 posts) -

Personally, I dislike when they say that the game has very "visceral" gameplay. I mean, that word doesn't really mean anything.

#7 Posted by Zeighty (7 posts) -

Yeah, fuck CDProjekt.

Also, how are "Digital Dowload," "Ludonarrative Dissonance," "MMORPG," "Franchise," and "Micro-transaction," buzzwords? Those are all just words used to describe completely valid and real concepts and things. Just because a word or phrase gets used a lot doesn't mean it's a buzzword.

#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Digital download. How such an obviously redundant pairing became so popular I'll never know.

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'm gonna go with "The Cloud" mostly because its a pretty god damn useless term. I mean saying "our game uses the cloud" now raises more questions than it answers.

#10 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I hate '' killer app '' with passion.

#11 Edited by Marokai (3063 posts) -

"The Cloud" of this list. "Digital future" is currently my least favorite phrase in the world, though.

#12 Posted by Nigglenummy (78 posts) -

@zeighty: The poll is for videogame buzzwords and terms. I would consider those to be "terms".

#13 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

-Immersion

-Realistic AI (especially if mentioned in relation to how they can apply the new processing power)

#14 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

other then tripple A, the words are just filler to me, and i really dont pay attention, some of them aren't even buzzwords in my opinion. and i have never heard the words Ludonarrative Dissonance, i actually had to look it up.

i hate the terms casual/hardcore gamer.
look i love games i buy and play a lot of them, im somewhat decent at them, i know a fair bit about them.
so im a hardcore gamer but i just especially hate that particular term. i just like games.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -

Triple A is a real dumb dumb term that is used in so many different ways I can't even tell you what it actually means. Ive heard people say that it refers to the budget and Ive also heard people say it refers to the critical expectations of a game. Its a weird dumb nebulous term that needs to die.

#16 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Sexism ;O

#17 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

Cinematic Experience

#18 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

Yeah, I went "the cloud" too, simply because it seems very much like this generation's blast processing: a meaningless buzzword.

Others I can't stand anymore are "digital future" and "innovation," simply because the former seems like the acid trip of a bunch of rabid technophiles and the latter because it's been nothing but an empty promise for the past decade.

#19 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

It's gotta be the "insert word"-em-up, although I think this was pointed out on Digitister back in the '90s. Shoot 'em up and beat 'em up don't bother me (since these have been firmly established for decades, but I've also seen publications use terms like "stealth 'em up", and well...

'STEALTH' IS NOT A VERB!!!

'The cloud' is a close second, but that's an issue with tech circles in general rather than just gaming. Those dumb Microsoft ads notwithstanding ("Cloud is... editing photos I guess"), it's just a pointlessly romantic spin on what is essentially a bunch of hard drives connected to the internet.

Though I wish people would start saying "information Superhighway" again. I miss that, I really do.

#20 Posted by Tarsier (1069 posts) -

microtransaction causes me grief not because of the misuse of the word but because of the misuse of the concept.

#21 Posted by Zeighty (7 posts) -

@nigglenummy: Why would you hate terms like MMORPG, Digital Download, or Franchise? They're straight-forward and accurate. They serve their purpose very neatly without any fluff.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -

@evilnights: I have never heard anyone use the term "Stealth-em-up"

#23 Posted by DeeGee (2140 posts) -

@zeighty: Because digital download is the most ridiculous thing ever. You know, it's a digital download, unlike those physical downloads. I am constantly downloading things in real life. Earlier I downloaded some bread into my toaster, it worked out pretty great for me.

#25 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6399 posts) -

Cinematic experience, mostly for what it has turned games into- movies, thus losing what they are supposed to be.

#26 Edited by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -

@evilnights: Okay well apparently Im wrong and holy fuck that is really dumb.

#27 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

"epic"

"visceral"

"brutal"

"cinematic experience"

"realistic"

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you

#28 Edited by ejiehi (123 posts) -

Gamer

#29 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@deegee said:

@zeighty: Because digital download is the most ridiculous thing ever. You know, it's a digital download, unlike those physical downloads. I am constantly downloading things in real life. Earlier I downloaded some bread into my toaster, it worked out pretty great for me.

I think it's as opposed to analogue downloads. You know, like buying records on vinyl.

CONFESSION: I used to say 'download' when copying files to a floppy disk. Someone set me straight.

#30 Posted by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

WAIT I SAID "THE CLOUD" BUT I FORGOT ABOUT (BLACKED OUT) "EPIC."

"EPIC" IS THE FUCKING WORST.

#31 Posted by brainwins (253 posts) -

Analog download.

#32 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

MMORPG, there's no quicker way of turning me off your video game if you say this. Also I dislike hearing 'immerse' and 'experience'.

#33 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

Emergent gameplay has been gaining traction. I'll tell you what's emerging, my bloody fist that's what, Mister.

#34 Posted by fisk0 (4285 posts) -

@zeighty said:

Yeah, fuck CDProjekt.

Also, how are "Digital Dowload," "Ludonarrative Dissonance," "MMORPG," "Franchise," and "Micro-transaction," buzzwords? Those are all just words used to describe completely valid and real concepts and things. Just because a word or phrase gets used a lot doesn't mean it's a buzzword.

Yeah, I agree, but there was a time a few years ago where MMORPG was kinda in the state Roguelike is in now, when people used that term to describe just about everything that had support for more than 2 players and text chat. Haven't seen much of that recently though.

#35 Posted by mrcraggle (1954 posts) -

I went for "the cloud" because it's used all to often to make something mundane sound interesting and mysterious when it's just anything involving the internet it seems. Online gaming, storage, processing, photo editing (really MS?) is all powered by "the cloud". It feels like it needs a tm after it.

#36 Edited by HandsomeMuffin (109 posts) -

I hate thinking of games as IPs. Makes it sounds way to business like to me.

#37 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

"Epic"

"Gamer"

"Experience."

#38 Edited by Encephalon (1284 posts) -

Damned Poles. They have no business making games!

#39 Posted by Abendlaender (2837 posts) -

"Experience" is pretty aweful, so cinematic experience it is.
Also stuff like "never seen before" or "immersive"

Since when is "Polish" a buzzword? I don't get that

#40 Posted by Catarrhal (840 posts) -

"eSports" is the first thing that came to my mind. I agree with all of the above, too.

#41 Edited by Raven10 (1848 posts) -

I went with The Cloud, although I agree with others that Roguelike is one of the most misused terms out there today. It feels like it now refers to any game with perma-death. All the other elements like randomly generated environments, turn-based RPG gameplay, simplistic graphics, and great difficulty seem to have been dropped. A lot of games have had perma-death over the years. Having that one element doesn't make your game like Rogue.

#42 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1817 posts) -

"Entitled."

It seems like anytime bad word of mouth starts, journalists & corporations start slinging out the entitled label. I'm kinda surprised that it didn't happen when the Xbox One still had that 24 hour DRM.

#43 Posted by GamingMichael (107 posts) -

Also... TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV

#44 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (442 posts) -

I've always hated triple A because it really doesn't mean anything.

Cloud is a close second now since everyone is just using it in reference to their online stuff that HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLOUD COMPUTING!

#45 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

What's shacknews?

#46 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5801 posts) -

Hardcore

#47 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

WAIT I SAID "THE CLOUD" BUT I FORGOT ABOUT (BLACKED OUT) "EPIC."

"EPIC" IS THE FUCKING WORST.

yep

#48 Edited by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

AAA by far.

#49 Edited by LackingSaint (1832 posts) -

Whether or not I dislike any of these terms is totally reliant on if they're accurate. If a game actually is designed to be an immersive or emergent experience, then sure whatever it's just a descriptor like any other. But yeah, pretty much all of these are horrible when they're being spoken by a PR guy who doesn't actually understand what he's talking about.

"Epic" is the worst when it's being used as a synonym for "cool".

#50 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

What's shacknews?

It's a website...about video games. For future reference Google is effective an effective means to getting a more timely answer.

Anyway fuck the term digital download for reasons stated previously in this thread.