Which video game buzzword or term to you hate most?

• 138 results
Nigglenummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Nigglenummy

Poll Which video game buzzword or term to you hate most? (403 votes)

Polish 3%
Digital Dowload 4%
The Cloud 31%
"insert word"-em-up (ie. Shacknews game descriptions) 2%
Triple A 9%
Ludonarrative Dissonance 15%
MMORPG 0%
Cinematic Experience 12%
Franchise 0%
Micro-transaction 6%
Other 16%

I'm generally a pretty happy guy, but sometimes things annoy me. Like the overuse or misunderstanding of all of these video game terms everywhere in marketing-speak or game descriptions. It's not the meaning behind the word I'm talking about, but literally the annoyance with the word(s) itself. Anyway, my vote goes to "Polish". With Shacknews' ridiculous use of the _____-em-up phrase for everything they write about coming in a close second.

• 
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

...umm, I think "The Cloud" sounds silly.

That's about it...totally fine with all the others; didn't even realize some were buzzwords, and I don't think I've ever seen "Ludonarrative Dissonance" before.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

'Epic' doesn't bother me that much, I just ask them if whatever they're talking about has chariots in it. Prince of Persia: Two Thrones was pretty epic...

"For the win/fail", and stuff being 'full of' such things is something I find very tiresome. 'Leetspeak' is unique among dialects in that every word in its vernacular roughly translates as "I'm a massive douchebag".

Think we're getting away from buzzwords here though.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

gamer

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@capum15: ludonarrative dissonance is basically when a character is depicted as something and then the gameplay depicts them in the opposite way;

see Tomb Raider, FC3

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

port

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ludonarrative Dissonance for me. Clint Hocking did not know what bastard monstrosity he was unleashing when he wrote it. How it'd be latched onto and siphoned by hacks to explain away shit they just don't like.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

my god "digital download" is so dumb. damn I miss the days of analog downloads. So much more richer, warmer experiences. The bits just had, I don't know, more color, more flavor. You could zoom in and see those sweetass rounded curves up in those square waves. Fuck yeah analog bits.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

When dipshits use a $ symbol instead of an S.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"Emergent" is a pretty egregious one. I don't even know what that could possibly mean on a specific level.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Gamer.

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By Jackhole

Fans of the genre agree, this poll is a mixed bag.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@animasta said:

@capum15: ludonarrative dissonance is basically when a character is depicted as something and then the gameplay depicts them in the opposite way;

see Tomb Raider, FC3

More broadly, it's when the story advocates one idea and the gameplay advocates something wildly different. I, too, have an example, but I just can't remember it right now. Something about the moods of a game being out of whack.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

see Tomb Raider, FC3

I disagree with FC3 as an example completely. The entire point of the story was him finding out he's a born killer and actually ENJOYING it. I mean they practically drilled that into your head the entire time how he was enjoying all the killing and fighting and that he couldn't relate to his friends anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of these annoy me at all. Stop being such a grumpy person.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@animasta said:

see Tomb Raider, FC3

More broadly, it's when the story advocates one idea and the gameplay advocates something wildly different. I, too, have an example, but I just can't remember it right now. Something about the moods of a game being out of whack.

Ohhh, I hate the ludo-bullshit-lazyass-dissonance word too.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

Triple A is a real dumb dumb term that is used in so many different ways I can't even tell you what it actually means. Ive heard people say that it refers to the budget and Ive also heard people say it refers to the critical expectations of a game. Its a weird dumb nebulous term that needs to die.

When I hear "Triple A" I assume we're talking about a shooter with cover mechanics. And then I try to change the topic.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Zekhariah

Ludonarrative-dissonance kind of bugs me, because it seems to be frequently utilized by folks that would not say anything like that in a normal circumstance. Which means that it ends up feeling like a canned sound-bite even when it was probably coined with good intentions.

Hardcore is another one that is really troublesome, but that is more of a personal distaste at the existence of a gamer culture marketing setup. Marketing targeted at a caricature of a sub-group is kind of nakedly evil as it involves devaluing that sub-group in the eyes of the rest of society while performing a really lame sort of fan-service to a even smaller fraction of that group. E.g. Mountain Dew and Doritos cross-promotions with Call of Duty / Xbox put out the sort of stereotype that is not flattering at all.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By rentfn

Metroidvania

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drivatar God damn it

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By bushpusherr

pwn/pwned, without a doubt. It's the fucking worst.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@jasonr86:

I actually like it quite a bit. I find it to be a pretty useful term for pointing out why a game doesn't function.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Well, 'ludonarrative dissonance' and anything else from the same lexicon of pompous pseudo-academic horseshit is certainly annoying, but I'm pretty good at not coming into contact with most of it.

As far as things developers say, the term "gameplay loop" kind of makes my skin crawl when someone says it aloud, even though it's a valid way to describe the design of most games.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

What's wrong with Polish? :( I love CD Project!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draxyle said:

"Emergent" is a pretty egregious one. I don't even know what that could possibly mean on a specific level.

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Here's a podcast series with some people who made a few premiere examples of emergent gameplay. If you don't know what it means it sounds like complete bull; once you've experienced it it's the best thing in gaming.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"AAA"- its a useless that has no meaning and doesn't describe anything but everyone uses it anyway.

"The Cloud"- Its really just dedicated servers, not magic or whatever MS might have you believe it is.

"Emergent gameplay"- I don't get this phrase needs to be used constantly to describe a certain type of gameplay. Its annoying and needs to go away

"Cinemaniac"- Just a fancy way of saying your going to take the gameplay out of my hands and direct the gameplay experience for me. It just sounds better if you say cinematic than if you say what I just said.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

' Core gamer ' drives me mad.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Innovative" was driving me a little up the wall during e3.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Cloud, because it's generally complete bullshit. I'm not even an always-online hater when it's done right, but 'The Cloud' is often just used as a bullshit excuse for why something has to be always online.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the word buzzword.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Vextroid

I've always hated triple A because it really doesn't mean anything.

Cloud is a close second now since everyone is just using it in reference to their online stuff that HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLOUD COMPUTING!

Pretty much word for word for me with those words as well.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By reisz

None of this stuff bothers me.

Although, I dislike the title of "Gamer". It's not how I see myself or my enthusiast friends. Or any of you for that matter, it's how I see cunning old gamblers that would grift you for all the money you've got as soon as shake your hand.

So I'll go with "other"

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#83  Edited By audioBusting

Other: "Gamers" and "addictive gameplay".

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#84  Edited By damodar

I just wanted to take a moment to say how I appreciated the first two replies both being Dr Lucien Sanchez avatars.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ludonarrative Dissonance. I think some interesting things can arise when a game addresses the issue, but for the most part I just find any criticism directed at a game due to it mostly a lazy attempt at intelligent sounding criticism that to me just speaks to the person's priorities being backwards.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emergent - No idea how that relates to gameplay. Really I don't.

Endearing - Used way too often around here. Particularly on the bombcast. Not so much now, but for a number of weeks it was really overused.

The Cloud - Oh you're going to store data on the cloud? You mean your servers? I don't mind when it's used to reference cloud-computing or processing. But just stop using it so much to simply refer to remote data storage.

Misogyny - For some reason when that word was being thrown around in the video game industry early this year, at the EXACT SAME TIME, it was being thrown around in politics here in Australia. The timing of it was ridiculous. I can't fucking stand that word being used to describe sexism. Sony were labelled misogynists for not having females at their press conference. The leader of the opposition was labelled a misogynist by our then-current (and now former as of 3 days ago) female Prime Minister, due to some things that he said that could be labelled as sexist. The meaning of the term implies HATE for women. HATE! The man does not HATE women. By all means he might be sexist (or perhaps just not great with words) but he doesn't HATE women. Misogyny and sexism are very different terms, stop using the stronger one so damn liberally.

That's about it I think. The main one for me is misogyny. The others don't bother me that much.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When dipshits use a $ symbol instead of an S.

Not really a buzzword, but it is pretty annoying. Nothing invalidates your opinion quicker than proving that you have a massive bias against a particular company.

"Cinematic experience" are pretty much the last things I want from a game too.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By johncallahan

Visceral. It makes the sweet release of death seem so welcoming.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

should have been infinite cloud^^

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mobuhl

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nadril

"Burden of Knowledge" and "Anti-Fun mechanics". Basically, the stupid terminology Riot came up with to differentiate their game.

I understand the need to differentiate your product, but doing so by creating made-up terminology that is to the effect of "fuck that game, ours is better" is very annoying. And really, "Anti-Fun"? That was the best thing they could come up with?

Also "The Cloud" is kind of silly -- but eh, whatever. I understand why they say it, I just dislike when it is overused so much.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a browser plugin for Chrome that replaces any instance of "cloud" with "butt". The cloud talk PR from MS becomes more understandable that way, because they're talking outta their

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

You forgot my "favorite" buzz-word that I can't stand: Metroidvania.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Sexism and/or misogyny. BOOM.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Ravenlight

IP/intellectual property. I get that the term has a very well-defined use, but when it's thrown around to mean "a game/a franchise" then we've gone too far.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"epic"

"ground-breaking"

"exclusive"

"dlc"

"day-one dlc"

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By LackingSaint

Because a lot of people seem to have a misconception on what it actually means: Emergent systems in games are systems that are not brought on by the game but by player action. Minecraft is a good example of a game that was praised as "emergent", because the game had no clear objectives, directions and goals. This meant that the player was the one in charge of deciding the system of gameplay they'd be following (exploring, building, farming, discovering materials). Open-world games can usually be a good example of this, as the overworld can give you little specific direction to go in.

A good example of a non-emergent game is something like Sam & Max, Portal or Dance Dance Revolution, which promote a single ideal path without much room for player choice.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Entitled."

It seems like anytime bad word of mouth starts, journalists & corporations start slinging out the entitled label. I'm kinda surprised that it didn't happen when the Xbox One still had that 24 hour DRM.

Good shout

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#99  Edited By stonyman65

"programming to the metal"

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"<Blank> is a Video Game ass Video Game" as if something being a video game is some kind of shameful thing.