Which was/is better the DS or the 3DS?

WalrusBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

In the recent post about Nintendo's woes a user (thatdutchguy) suggested that the 3DS was "the only good thing Nintendo has done in the past 10 years." Hyperbole aside, it made me wonder if that was possibly true.

I do not own a 3DS (my cheap 2DS is doing me just fine), but I'll take for granted that it is an excellent console. But it is the predecessor of a pretty excellent handheld . . . the original DS (in all of its variants). So here is my question, if we take away some of the improvements that occur just because the 3DS is newer than the DS (better screen, on-line, etc.) is the 3DS in its current state actually better than the older DS?

I'm sure there are 3DS lovers that are going to jump all over this, and that is fine. Again, I come to this out of a place of ignorance, but also remembering how great my old DS was.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

I judge consoles based on games, and to me the 3DS is already miles better than the DS, because it has games I really enjoyed in the Fire Emblem, Mario, and Zelda franchises. Whereas the original DS had multiple shots at each of these series, and I didn't like any of them.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I prefer the DS since it had more stuff I wanted to play. I honestly haven't found much that I really want to play on 3DS (7 games) whereas on the DS I had probably close to 30. Hopefully in the next few years the 3DS will get some more high quality platformers which I found a lot of on DS. Also the Castlevania 3DS game... what a pile of shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm with Hunter on this. The series' that DS and 3DS share, I find the 3DS versions to be vastly superior. Plus it's a better system. You'd be a fool to ignore better hardware.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kishinfoulux

The DS destroys the 3DS. Not even a question IMHO. Probably the best handheld of all time.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS by far. But it was also out longer than the 3DS has been so far. It will catch up.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MezZa

The games that released on the DS make it my favorite handheld of all time easily. That being said, 3DS has backwards compatability so technically it is better. 3DS has its own unique games that are really great, and it can access all the greats of the DS as well. You say remove the new benefits that are there because its newer tech...so what else are we supposed to compare? DS has some nostalgia going for it but thats about it. If you put both devices side by side and tell me to pick I'm always going to pick the 3DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really can't make this comparison without another handheld out. It's kind of silly to compare the library of a console that's had an entire lifespan to the library of a console that's still going.

If you think about it, and yes, I realize how silly this is, but it lines up perfectly, you can ask the same question of "if we take away some of the improvements that occur just because the Xbox One is newer than the Xbox 360 (1080p, Kinect 2, etc.) is the Xbox One in its current state actually better than the older Xbox 360?"

The answer is no, no it's not. But it's not until we can compare the entire lifespan of each console to each other that we get the real answer of which one is better.

All that being said, the 3DS has some awesome games on it, and a few of them are definitely Nintendo's best work. The DS has some awesome games as well, and some of Nintendo's best work lies on that console too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

...... sometimes I'm often in awe over the graphics on 3DS. Like the SSAO on animal crossing, the bump maping in Super Mario 3D Land..... But I mean I picked up a few DS games for 5 bucks and can play them both so I can't decide?...... I'd love to play some Boktai or Drill Dozer right now without the need of an emulator.

The DS fucking rocked, so much experimental stuff, stuff worth importing, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, How many games can compare to like the controls of Phantom Hourglass and Ninja Gaiden DS? That's always bothered me about ipad, nothing on par with ninja gaiden DS..... and of course the greatest game of all time, Rocket Slime.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

TWETY is on DS so it wins. Also Ghost Trick.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DS has backwards compatibility. 3DS wins.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If the 3DS gets a couple more years like 2013, then it could beat the DS.

But you've got to remember that the 3DS isn't that old, whereas the DS came out in 2004. The DS just has a huge wealth of games for it that has been built up over about a decade now. The 3DS just hasn't had time to build up a library like that.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ignoring backwards compatibility and judging the two handhelds based on their respective libraries, the older DS gang punches the younger 3DS in the gut, steals its lunch money, then stuffs it in a locker. The 3DS is a bit easier on the eyes and capable of putting out quality experiences, but as of right now, it's held back by its youth and inexperience. The DS, DS Lite, and DSi have been there and done that; they were the original money printers.

If all goes well, the 3DS will develop into a solid handheld that trumps the handhelds that came before it, but as of right now, it has a lot of growing to do. That region-lock ain't doing it any favors, though.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Sergio

This. If it wasn't backwards compatible, then it'd be a tough choice. I'd probably lean towards the DS because it had more great titles.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sense is spoken.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Well its too early to speak but the DS was better overal but as probablytuna has stated, 3DS plays DS games, it wins.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DS had Metroid Prime Hunters. No game has ever had multiplayer that even claim close to that, on 3DS. A product of its time, borne from the existence of Retro doing Metroid Prime, there has never been another game quite as epic in its small form factor. /truthiness

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ripelivejam

this site is really catching fanboy-itis, i see...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's kind of silly to compare a handheld that had around 6-7 years worth of quality games to one that's had 2. The 3DS is getting there for sure, but it still can't compete in terms of raw numbers.

DS had Metroid Prime Hunters. No game has ever had multiplayer that even claim close to that, on 3DS. A product of its time, borne from the existence of Retro doing Metroid Prime, there has never been another game quite as epic in its small form factor. /truthiness

Congratulations! You reminded me that Metroid Prime Hunters was a thing I played back when I didn't know any better! Actually, the multiplayer in that game was pretty fun, but it wasn't especially well balanced, that's for sure.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Right now? I will say that the DS is better. I would also say the PS Vita is better than the 3DS as I have played the Vita to the DS 4:1 and I own many more games, even outside of PS+, than I do the 3DS.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Shhhhhhhhhh! At least we aren't talking about the Wii U.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By Sergio

@flappy said:

@ripelivejam: Shhhhhhhhhh! At least we aren't talking about the Wii U.

I think he's just trolling. Comparing two systems from the same manufacturer doesn't warrant a dumb, unconstructive comment as his.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: As did the original DS, my only means to play Advance Wars 2 now. Speaking of which Intelligent Systems should take a break from Fire Emblem and make one for 3DS.

DS was also region free until DSi came along and it was the first system I really imported games for. Ouendan wins by default.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

3DS is more technologically advanced, already has better games, and can play the DS games anyway making this an entirely redundant question.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The DS library of quality game is HUGE. Honestly, anybody that says 3DS right now is either forgetting that sheer volume of software that system has, or is simply ignorant of said software.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3DS wins since the games that have came out in its short life cycle have been better than the earlier DS games and plus the 3DS can play all of the DS games.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DS is more technologically advanced, already has better games, and can play the DS games anyway making this an entirely redundant question.

Yeah advanced with 3D, a feature EVERYONE wanted. No thanks.

Better games? No.

As for backwards compatability I'd assume we're talking about their distinct libraries.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By recroulette

DS has TWEWY and Advance Wars. Waiting on you 3DS.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people havent played enough of the cool 3DS games. i havent either, but ive made a list in preparations for when i do.

zelda ocarina of time 3d

zelda link between worlds

yoshis island 3d

pokemon x or y

animal crossing new leaf

mario kart 3ds

kid icarus

fire emblem awakening

super mario 3d land

whatever other cool stuff is on the nintendo e-shop that ive missed out on over the years or could get nostalgic about.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If we’re talking design, I’m going with the DS, I really like the clean look of the lite/dsi/dsi XL. The lack of an analog stick makes them look nice and tidy. The battery life is pretty amazing as, though the 3DS XL is no slouch in that departement, either.

I guess I’ve played more DS games, and I really like the way the constraints of that system tended to focus games, and kept them way different from console games, but it is cool to see beautful graphics on the 3DS.

Oh. And The World ends with You was on the DS. Favorite handheld game ever.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3DS Region-lock (with a side of unfortunate company stuff) just killed Rune Factory 4 in Europe. This wouldn't happen to the DS, yo!

I understand how importing games can screw over localization teams and whatnot, but Europe was just robbed of a game (a translated one, no less) because of a serious of unfortunate events. I doubt Europe's dilemma will get much play on this side of the Internet, but if something were to happen to games like SMT IV (for Europe) or Bravely Second (for NA/EU), people would be incredibly salty.