Which White Whales have you had to let go of?

• 62 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

You held out hope for years, but that hope did not bear any fruits.

What I mean is, which games were you anticipating for a while before accepting that they will never be made?

They told me that FF XV was vaporware, and I laughed in their face. They say that The Last Guardian is nothing but a puff of dreamstuff, but I say different. On those two, I've stayed the course, but there are a number of games that, unfortunately, I've had to give up on.

• Chief among them is another Okami or story heavy open world action adventure directed by Kamiya. I've given up because I questioned Kamiya about this on twitter and he implied that he's unwilling to make another game like that unless it's Okami 2, in which case a deal with Capcom would need to be sealed...*sigh*
  • Another Valkyria Chronicles on a console. The clones do not satisfy.
  • Jak IV. I guess most people didn't care about that story, but I was actually interested in some of the revelations in 3 and wanted to see where it would lead.
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

FF7 remake. Lived and died around that PS3 render video. I'll still play it if they do it but I gave up a long time ago.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Starcraft: Ghost. All we got was a paperback prequel story that wasn't really good.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Suikoden VI, or at least a new, real Suikoden, be it a remake or whatever. With Konami getting out of games, this might be a possibility in the future, but I give up.

Also, a "real" Super Mario World 2. That hope died a long time ago.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A true Suikoden 6. I knew deep down that it was never going to happen after they tried to reboot it, but with all that's happening with Konami it's been officially stomped into the ground.

Lunar 3 would be another one. I remember buying Eternal Blue Complete oh so many years ago and reading in the back of the mini-strategy guide about their early plans for Lunar 3. It seemed like a sure thing to my young naive mind. But then nothing.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moby Dick.

I like Herman Melville, I thought Bartleby the Scrivener was great, but every time I try to read Moby Dick my eyes glaze over after like 20 pages and I feel like I need a nap.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Darkstalkers 4. I, jokingly, still bring it up from time to time, but I threw in the towel long ago. Not only does a large portion of the fgc and, therefore, Capcom just not give a fuck about the series (cam't really blame either party if I'm being honest...), there's also surprising amount of people who seem opposed to it's return for some reason.

FF7 Remake. After that Sony event at the end of last year. I cannot fathom the idea that Square Enix really gives a fuck about ever remaking it.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suikoden VI, or at least a new, real Suikoden, be it a remake or whatever. With Konami getting out of games, this might be a possibility in the future, but I give up.

Yep, such a giant bummer. It wouldn't sting so bad if Tierkreis wasn't such a mess.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love an actual Baldurs Gate like roleplaying game set in the forgotten realms again with whatever current rule set they are using.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Guardian. Its now one of those projects that makes me wonder if it ever got into a decent stage of development at all.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

Mercenaries 3: No Limits. Let it go when EA shuttered Pandemic, but the pain will never go away.

Command and Conquer: Generals 2, because that just turned into a giant clusterfuck that ended up cancelled.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By paulmako

An HD F-Zero game.

Secretly I hope it will happen one day but I've given up hope/.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zefpunk

Dave Lang making another Windjammers.

In all seriousness though...an open world, third person RoboCop game. I try not to think about it anymore.

Also, another Medievil game. It's just not fair Sony. It's right there just waiting for a new installment.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Being happy

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Aegon

Being happy

Interviewer: "Do you work for your own happiness?"

Miyazaki: "I don’t ever feel happy in my daily life. Really, isn’t that how it is? How could that ever be our ultimate goal?"

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I would love an actual Baldur's Gate like roleplaying game set in the forgotten realms again with whatever current rule set they are using.

Sword Coast Legends is pretty much that. Whether or not it'll be a good game remains to be seen.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A Legacy of Kain HD collection, SR 2 is still one of the best games ever made. Shame SE have proven they don't care about the licence...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Freedom Fighters 2 and Rebublic Commando 2 (a.k.a. Imperial Commando).

Still holding out for a new Jedi Knight game, but maybe I should let go of that one too after Disney acquired Star Wars.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I had to give up on FF7 remake a long time ago.... It still hurts a little bit still. But it's very obvious why it won't and most likely shouldn't ever happen.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Chromehounds 2, believe it or not. Chromehounds is still one of my all time favorite games, the tactical team battles and mech building with my friends is some of the most fun I've ever had playing video games. There were some rumors about From Software and Sega bringing out Chromehounds 2 for the Xbox 360, but I'm not sure it ever got out of the concept phase. Man, I was so hyped for a sequel when I first heard about the possibility of the game coming out, and I think I held onto it for a good two years after that. There was some talk that what was going to be Chromehounds 2 eventually was turned into Armored Coreo V, but honestly I stopped following it that closely a long time before ACV came out so I'm not too sure about that. Regardless of what the game was called, I really just want that classic Chromehounds team gameplay combined with building to come back. Man, that was satisfying stuff.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Knights of the Old Republic III. God damn it, Bioware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f
deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An actually sequel to Red Faction Guerrilla.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

• Warcraft 4
  • A new F-Zero
  • Any RPG by Sega,
  • anything I'd ever like by Konami again (like Vandal Hearts or Suikoden)
  • A baseball game I'd enjoy playing
  • A Final Fantasy Tactics game that is purely set in Ivalice like the first game
  • Mega Man

trying to hold out hope that Dragon Quest Vii remake will eventually get ported to the US. But it's dimming

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan

Another Golden Sun game that aspires to be something more than Dark Dawn was. It's never going to happen. Count me in as a wistful Jedi Knight fan as well.

LocalOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's a cliche answer, but another Half-Life game. As the years wore on it became apparent that Valve was incapable of getting their shit together long enough to design, make, and finish it. For a company that previously seemed so transparent and humble it was really frustrating. I absolutely loved the series but it's left a sour taste in my mouth after all these years.

I feel like they've boiled off a lot of their good will over the last 2 or 3 years, but I remember all the uncritical praise around them around the time their "employees just work on whatever they feel like" documents were leaked and nobody seeming to realize that that's why they're so slow and unfocused. Once you're hauling money in on dump trucks every day then that tends to remove the incentive to accomplish much.

I don't think game companies "owe" their customers anything but I find the whole situation really lame.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#26  Edited By poisonjam7

The Last Guardian....or anything from Team Ico at this point. And after coming in here, a true sequel to Okami. (Okamiden doesn't count)

Shenmue 3 (don't know how I forgot that one. Thanks @ottoman673)

Another RTS Warcraft.

Dark Cloud 3

KoTOR 3

Otogi 3

Beyond Good & Evil 2

B.C

Republic Commando 2

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: Another KOTOR is my probably my biggest wish for a new game with Skate 4 being right behind it

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: I feel you on that one man. I would love a new one.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, September might be the last hurrah for Konami as a developer. Metal Gear will ship and PES 2016 will follow suit a few weeks later. I wonder if some anxious faces are praying for big numbers or have minds already been made up?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aside from the usual games, I believe Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes 2 would an excellent game that will be never be made.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Another mainline Ace Combat game
- A new Advance Wars
- A new F zero game or even just remake
- Kotor 3
- One of the newer Phantasy Star games coming west

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage said:
@tothenines said:

I would love an actual Baldur's Gate like roleplaying game set in the forgotten realms again with whatever current rule set they are using.

Sword Coast Legends is pretty much that. Whether or not it'll be a good game remains to be seen.

Oh right thanks! I forgot about that game. I am just afraid it will be more like the Icewind Dale series rather than the BG. Though Icewind Dale is great in its own right and an enjoyable experience, its not quite what I am looking for. But we will see, stoked about it regardless.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Giant Bomb certainly isn't the place I expect to see Moby Dick references :D

I dunno if I have one, but I wouldn't say no to a Skate 4 for PC.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Break

Or whatever that Chrono Cross sequel was supposed to be titled. I wanna say they registered the domain but they never did anything with it. I really do miss Squaresoft. Really really.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bam_Boozilled

At one point it was star wars battlefront. Then that got revived. Please let that be good. I've been wishing for a sequel for the better part of my life.

The only other would be another PC roller coaster tycoon game. RCT3 was the game of my childhood, as odd as that may be. Ps2 games like star wars battlefront to a certain degree as well.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shenmue 3.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ezekiel

The Last Guardian. If only they hadn't been overambitious. I also blame the Cell processor. The game didn't look as unique as I hoped, though. It looked too much like Ico and to a lesser extent Shadow of the Colossus. And it looked like it was going to be sappy. It's just a shame that it was probably their last project.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#39 fisk0  Moderator

Dark Reign 3, KKnD 3 and Dune 5.

I guess it's about time to give up on Colony Wars and DeathDrome coming back too, considering both Psygnosis and Zipper Interactive are long gone.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Capcom will never make a Resident Evil game that is not disappointing in some way, nor will my wholly unrealistic dream of them making a new game in the style of the old tank control/prerendered backgrounds ever come to pass. Instead I have to put my hope in the even more dubious hands of those guys who got their hands on an unfinished build of the old version of Resident Evil 2 and are trying to make a game out of it. Not sure if anything will come of that either, but they still release screenshots every now and again.

@vessel28 said:

- A new Advance Wars

I dunno man! I still think there could be a new Advance Wars one of these days! With Intelligent Systems' new Fire Emblem coming out next month in Japan and Codename: STEAM being sort of a non-starter, I could see them going back to Advance Wars sooner rather than later. Unless they decide to make yet another disappointing Paper Mario RPG instead.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Moby Dick.

I like Herman Melville, I thought Bartleby the Scrivener was great, but every time I try to read Moby Dick my eyes glaze over after like 20 pages and I feel like I need a nap.

Well played. I guess the game that I actually believed was being made and then gave up on, even though it was a long time ago, was Freedom Fighters 2. There are games I'd like to see more of, e.g. Onimusha, that are becoming increasingly less likely, but I was never under the illusion it was being made so there isn't much in the way of crushed hopes there.

I can see a Mass Effect remaster becoming this. As obvious a money maker as it seems, there are a lot of controversial decisions they'll have to make about whether to modernize that first game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Shenmue 3 (I really like Shenmue back then. Haven't played it since then)
  • A "true" Fallout sequel like Fallout and Fallout 2 (we did get Wasteland 2 though, which I guess is close enough)
  • I'm sure The Division is never coming out, so that. (I hope I'm wrong)
  • Rainbow Six 4 (like the first 3 games)
  • A Resident Evil 2 remake (and Resident Evil 3)
  • A Metal Gear remake (who the hell knows at this point)
  • Freedom Fighters 2 (I loved the original)
reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vessel28 said:

- Another mainline Ace Combat game

No Caption Provided

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

I almost gave up on Alan Wake 2.
Then that slick motherfucker, Sam Lake, opened up to Polygon last month and now I'm all but 100% fucking sure that they're working on that game as we speak.
As. We. Speak.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A new Pokemon Snap... "sniffle".

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Conker sequel. No, that Project Spark bullshit doesn't count. Also a Jak 4 by Naughty Dog. I would say Skate 4 but I think there's a chance of that happening.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Given all that has happened recently, I suppose that this is the time to finally accept the fact that Zone of the Enders 3 is not going to happen.

...Man, it hurt to type that.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@aegon:it was pretty clear from very early on that another console valkyria chronicles would not be possible. as much as i want that, i never had any hopes for it. i also want another beyond good and evil but looks like it was quietly shot in the back.

devil may cry 5 is something i still want but i don't think we'll ever see it...

@themanwithnoplan: dude, the gamepad would be perfect for a snap 2 but we can only dream.

@toastburner_b: i always held out for zoe3 as well. sucks, really sucks.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's safe to say that DJ Hero 3 is but a pipe dream, despite the GH revival. That series was too good for this world. :(

And, of course, Hail to the Chimp 2, the Half Life 3 of minigame collections with titles stolen from old Simpsons gags. We've all been waiting with bated breath for Hail to the Chimp 2: Chimpin' All Over The World, but don't be surprised if it doesn't show up at E3.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

An actually sequel to Red Faction Guerrilla.

On a recent live stream, a developer at Volition described the original plan for Red Faction: Guerrilla and the follow up title (then called Red Faction: Crusade), and talks about how it ended up being Red Faction: Armageddon.

Loading Video...