• 123 results
#1 Posted by samueldev (103 posts) -

... SERIOUSLY. 

TAKE MY MONEY. NO REALLY, TAKE IT.
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2743 posts) -

Yeah.

#3 Posted by Grumbel (1010 posts) -

And how about a Flattr button? Might not bring in as much money as Paypal, as Flattr seems to be more popular in Europe then the US, but who knows, extra money can't hurt, can it?

#4 Edited by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

Don't worry. I'm sure they'll have it available for the next time they decide to put the Bombcast back up for ransom.

#5 Edited by CptBedlam (4500 posts) -

Seconded, I'm also still waiting for the paypal thing.

@sofacitysweetheart: Come on, just be thankful that they listened to the fans.

#6 Posted by samueldev (103 posts) -

I mean like, you'd think they would provide as many forms of payment as possible when they are pushing for subscribers like they are right now with the world tour thingy.

#7 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -
@CptBedlam: Who really knows what they were planning since the whole thing just seemed so sketchy and insincere. And I was ready to subscribe too :(
#8 Posted by Khann (3194 posts) -

I genuinely don't understand why Paypal isn't a priority. Seems like it would be a great idea. 

I know the API is a real pain to work with, but the WM engineers are smart folk.

#9 Edited by matti00 (677 posts) -

I can't be bothered to look for it cause I'm about to leave for the gym, but you know Dave has explained this about a million times right?

EDIT: Never mind, took me 60 seconds. Quoth the Snide:

Also, since I know you commonly make mention of paypal, we currently do not have the engineering bandwidth at the moment to work on a paypal solution. It will happen eventually but is not something we are actively focusing on.  Look, I'm not saying we don't care about either of these problems, we very much do. It's just that we have a very limited amount of resources and have to make decisions every day about what is most important. Most days we're just trying to keep the walls up!

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (6155 posts) -
@matti00 said:
" I can't be bothered to look for it cause I'm about to leave for the gym, but you know Dave has explained this about a million times right? "
IIRC the explanation is "yeah we'll get to it."

I would also like them to get to it.
#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7156 posts) -

How do you people not have a credit card in this day and age?

#12 Posted by Lautaro (454 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" How do you people not have a credit card in this day and age? "
I have and use a credit card but still think Paypal should be implemented.
#13 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5061 posts) -

Or even just a debit card. That's what I used.

#14 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

So, in other words, WM don't want to share their fees with PayPal? 

But again. I'm betting it'll appear before the annuals are up. Business~!

#15 Edited by mutha3 (5040 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

Europeans tend to not get in debt often enough to need one!

I've got a credit card for what its worth, but what Whiskey Media's offering right now just doesn't seem worth it.
#16 Posted by Stefan (581 posts) -

Hmm how could this not be the first priority? Money = more resources to do all the other stuff, right?

#17 Posted by RecSpec (5127 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Or even just a debit card. That's what I used. "
#18 Posted by Lautaro (454 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
We get it, that doesn't change the fact that some people don't have one. 
#19 Posted by RecSpec (5127 posts) -
@Lautaro said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
We get it, that doesn't change the fact that some people don't have one.  "
Not sure if it's different outside of the US. But you pretty much get a debit card with any bank account you open here. 
Why anyone would have a Paypal account without a bank account is beyond me.
#20 Posted by Nux (2653 posts) -

They said that they were working on it but its backloged right now.
#21 Posted by Shirogane (3612 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
"

@Lautaro said:
"

@RecSpec said:
"

@GunslingerPanda said:
"

"

"

"
Not sure if it's different outside of the US. But you pretty much get a debit card with any bank account you open here. Why anyone would have a Paypal account without a bank account is beyond me.

"

Australian banks don't give you a debit card that can be used in such a way unless you ask for one, and most of the time that involves paying extra i think. Either way, i'd still like PayPal, it's so much easier to use than grabbing my card and typing in a massive long number. All i do is type in my email and password that's in my head.
#22 Posted by FlyingRat (1454 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @Lautaro said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
Not sure if it's different outside of the US. But you pretty much get a debit card with any bank account you open here. Why anyone would have a Paypal account without a bank account is beyond me. "
They don't support every major kind of debit card, i know they don't support mine. And i have heard other people say the same thing.
#23 Posted by Inkerman (1492 posts) -

I have also heard things about Paypal being not exactly nice to the receiving parties, I know that this is why Maximum Fun no longer use Paypal.

#24 Edited by MattyFTM (14725 posts) -
@RecSpec said:

" @Lautaro said:

" @RecSpec said:

" @GunslingerPanda said:

"
Not sure if it's different outside of the US. But you pretty much get a debit card with any bank account you open here. Why anyone would have a Paypal account without a bank account is beyond me. "
I don't know what it's like elsewhere in the world, but in the UK everyone above the age of 16 has a debit card. That isn't the issue. The issue is that some banks don't allow international payments on debit cards, and that whiskey media only accept Visa or Mastercard, and many debit cards are other types like Switch, Maestro or Visa Electron. It's totally understandable why people can't buy memberships with the current payment options. And people aren't going to go through the rigmarole of changing banks just to become a paid member on a website.

Dave has answered the questions as to why they don't have paypal several times though: 

@snide said (in this thread)

@Hooded said:

" I reckon the reason we don't have Pay Pal is because PP actually take quite a large chunk of the money. So if they were to do PP now, when theres alot of members still currently upgrading their subscriptions, WM will lose quite a lot of the cash. My guess is once they have a high amount of subscribers and the rate of people upgrading decreases, they may impliment PP for the ones that cant currently upgrade.  WM deserve all of money and PP don't deserve a slice of it, so its understandable why we have to pay the way its currently set up. Its just smart business. "

It's actually not that (though it IS the reason we decided not to make them the only option). It's that it's very hard to build a system that channels between two different payment processors. Doing one or the other would have been fine, but it's a bit more complicated to allow for a couple different services. We originally thought it was gonna be much easier, which is why I can understand people's frustration about us saying we'd get PayPal in "soon"."
#25 Posted by Jeffsekai (7156 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Jeffsekai said:

Europeans tend to not get in debt often enough to need one!  I've got a credit card for what its worth, but what Whiskey Media's offering right now just doesn't seem worth it. "
Happy Hour is for sure.
#26 Posted by RenMcKormack (1087 posts) -

WHY YOU NO TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS?....Visa its everywhere you want to be?

#27 Posted by crusader8463 (14755 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @Lautaro said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
Ebay. I had to make a paypal account because a bunch of sellers wouldn't let you pay with anything but paypal. So I just set it up through paypal to bill my credit card.
#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5061 posts) -
@MattyFTM
@RecSpec said:

" @Lautaro said:

" @RecSpec said:

" @GunslingerPanda said:

"
I don't know what it's like elsewhere in the world, but in the UK everyone above the age of 16 has a debit card. That isn't the issue. The issue is that some banks don't allow international payments on debit cards, and that whiskey media only accept Visa or Mastercard, and many debit cards are other types like Switch, Maestro or Visa Electron. It's totally understandable why people can't buy memberships with the current payment options. And people aren't going to go through the rigmarole of changing banks just to become a paid member on a website.

Dave has answered the questions as to why they don't have paypal several times though: 

@snide said (in this thread)

@Hooded said:

" I reckon the reason we don't have Pay Pal is because PP actually take quite a large chunk of the money. So if they were to do PP now, when theres alot of members still currently upgrading their subscriptions, WM will lose quite a lot of the cash. My guess is once they have a high amount of subscribers and the rate of people upgrading decreases, they may impliment PP for the ones that cant currently upgrade.  WM deserve all of money and PP don't deserve a slice of it, so its understandable why we have to pay the way its currently set up. Its just smart business. "

It's actually not that (though it IS the reason we decided not to make them the only option). It's that it's very hard to build a system that channels between two different payment processors. Doing one or the other would have been fine, but it's a bit more complicated to allow for a couple different services. We originally thought it was gonna be much easier, which is why I can understand people's frustration about us saying we'd get PayPal in "soon"."
I thought all the UK debit cards got switched to one of them? I assumed this was the case worldwide since banks are a global deal. Apologies if I came across as an arsehole.
#29 Posted by Kyreo (4683 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
That's what I was thinking.  
#30 Posted by Tally_Pants (623 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
I do, i have two in fact, and one of them is linked to my paypal. I used to be skeptical of using paypal but now its the only thing i will use for making payments online. If i can't buy it with paypal...i don't buy it online!
#31 Posted by Megasoum (387 posts) -
@Stefan said:
" Hmm how could this not be the first priority? Money = more resources to do all the other stuff, right? "
^this seriously...
#32 Edited by Moth_Pope (480 posts) -
@RecSpec said:

" @Lautaro said:

" @RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
I'm outside the US (England, as it goes), and back up this statement. I've had a debit card since my teen years, if not before, just 'cause the bank gives you one by default. I'd understand it being an issue if WM only accepted credit cards, but surely you can sort a debit card without any fuss if it allowed you to do things you really want to do? Even if, in some countries, it meant paying a bit extra they're worth having anyway.

Couldn't imagine life - or, like you said, Paypal - without one.
#33 Posted by SomeJerk (4068 posts) -

I understand reaching an age old enough to sign up for the WM sites and not having a bank account..

..If you live in an isolated tribal village.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14592 posts) -
@matti00 said:
" I can't be bothered to look for it cause I'm about to leave for the gym, but you know Dave has explained this about a million times right?

EDIT: Never mind, took me 60 seconds. Quoth the Snide:

Also, since I know you commonly make mention of paypal, we currently do not have the engineering bandwidth at the moment to work on a paypal solution. It will happen eventually but is not something we are actively focusing on.  Look, I'm not saying we don't care about either of these problems, we very much do. It's just that we have a very limited amount of resources and have to make decisions every day about what is most important. Most days we're just trying to keep the walls up!

"
I never once saw any comment from the engineers other than "It's coming". Where did you get that?
#35 Posted by oysteinBrenne (305 posts) -
@Grumbel: 
it looks like a pyramide scheme
#36 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12222 posts) -

What's so special about PayPal?

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10857 posts) -

As they have said before.  It's on the list, but not near the top.

#38 Edited by Weltal (2304 posts) -

Ok, let's put this conversely.

Do you think they DON'T want your money?
No?
Then they probably have a good reason for why they don't have PayPal as an option currently.

#39 Posted by ThePickle (4309 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" As they have said before.  It's on the list, but not near the top. "
Why isn't it the number one item though? There are tons of people who want to join, but can't because the option isn't available. 
#40 Posted by Skytylz (4095 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Jeffsekai said:

Europeans tend to not get in debt often enough to need one!  I've got a credit card for what its worth, but what Whiskey Media's offering right now just doesn't seem worth it. "
I always forget how much better you guys are than us!
#41 Edited by Grumbel (1010 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne said:

" @Grumbel: it looks like a pyramide scheme "

Flattr isn't a pyramid scheme, its just a donation that works on a flatrate. You spend a fixed amount of money per month and that gets then distributed to projects of your choice. The whole point of going over Flattr instead of donating the money directly is that Flattr works with very small amounts of money, i.e. you can spend $2 and distribute that across 10 projects, so each would get like $0.20. If you'd go over Paypal with that money you wouldn't even be able to pay the Paypal fees with it, with Flattr its not a problem. It is used by quite a few Blogs over here in Germany, doesn't seem to have gained a whole lot traction in the US so far.
#42 Posted by CitizenKane (10857 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" As they have said before.  It's on the list, but not near the top. "
Why isn't it the number one item though? There are tons of people who want to join, but can't because the option isn't available.  "
That's something you will have to ask them personally.  It might be purely a financial business decision or they just feel that they need to get other stuff done beforehand.
#43 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1138 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
Thats how they get you.
#44 Edited by CornBREDX (7047 posts) -
#45 Posted by pwnasaurus (1298 posts) -
#46 Posted by TheVideoHustler (412 posts) -

Why don't these people just go buy a pre-paid Visa debit card or something? They sell them at pretty much any CVS or 7--1 or any store.

Problem solved. I win

#47 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1420 posts) -

well whenever they make it a priority, they will have my money.

#48 Posted by CaptainCody (1547 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
#49 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @RecSpec said:
"

@Lautaro said:
"

@RecSpec said:
"

@GunslingerPanda said:
"

"

"

"
Not sure if it's different outside of the US. But you pretty much get a debit card with any bank account you open here. Why anyone would have a Paypal account without a bank account is beyond me.

"
Australian banks don't give you a debit card that can be used in such a way unless you ask for one, and most of the time that involves paying extra i think. Either way, i'd still like PayPal, it's so much easier to use than grabbing my card and typing in a massive long number. All i do is type in my email and password that's in my head. "
You think wrong, sorry mate.  Debit cards are common with all major banks in Australia and most don't have any fees associated with them beyond the normal fees as part of having an account.  Paypal isn't any more convenient than a debit card but it can be a lot less secure.
#50 Posted by Jimbo (10358 posts) -

I ain't no businessman, but shouldn't 'Make sure people can give us money' be pretty high on that list of priorities?  Like... immediately underneath the bit that says 'Priorities'?