#1 Edited by TheAdmin (710 posts) -

The great Dave Snider posted on twitter:  

If you need a topic to write about, let us know what you'd like to see in a Whiskey Media Subscription service. Unified accounts already in.    

I'm excited to hear about the prospects of unified accounts... it would be awesome if Dave would fill us in a little on how they might work. As far as if I'd subscribe to Whiskey - No ads would probably be the first thing I'd go for. How bout you? 
#2 Edited by Crono11 (1635 posts) -

I would like it if Brad were to give me a wake up call every morning. 

Yeah I'd like that.

#3 Edited by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

Damn it so now there will be non-free accounts just like every other game site? I would rather have continuous ads than miss out on some site features because I'm not a paid member on the site.

#4 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

2nding all sites being ad free. Unified logins being confirmed is pretty sweet. Maybe subscriber only rounds in TNTs so that paying subscribers have a better chance to play?

#5 Edited by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

the ability for people from the uk to enter contests :D

edit: and what pessh said

#6 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

They are going to a paid model?

#7 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

Constant endurance runs. 

No, probably not, but I'd still love to see more of them. Two-ish is not enough!

Either way, I'll probably pony up for this just in order to reimburse GB and the other WM sites that have offered me hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of entertainment.

#8 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

What ever it was, I wouldn't pay for it.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Install a streaming webcam inside Luchadeer.

#10 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Why would they go to a paid thingy?

#11 Posted by Pessh (2453 posts) -

Webcams around the office so I can fap to Brad live, 24/7

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Please...no subscriptions....please..

#13 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I have no idea, but I would probably pay for it

#14 Posted by Milkman (16484 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" Why would they go to a paid thingy? "
It's not mandatory. It's just for the people who want extra.
#15 Edited by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

I am heavily opposed to this idea. I will never pay to use a website. Even though I love Giant Bomb a lot and changed my gamertag to LuchaDeer, I still wouldn't pay.

#16 Posted by Fallen189 (4931 posts) -

He means on the paper write in thread.

#17 Edited by shadowthrone (57 posts) -

I personally think it's reasonable for them to go a paid route, they have a lot of video content and streams (which I would expect is fairly expensive to maintain) and not to mention it's their job and they should get paid for it.  I'll state straight up that I'd be willing to pay for the current content on the website.  That being said, I think it would be best for GB, that if they do go subscription based, to not take what is currently free away.

Wish List 

1. Live Quicklooks for more community involvement and giving the community a chance to ask questions while it is occurring.
  2. Another night during the week (perhaps a day of the weekend) for another "Throwdown" event
  3. Ad Free
#18 Edited by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

Whatever they do, I hope they don't take anything currently available for free (Quicklooks and features etc) and make them part of the subscription service. 

As for what exclusive content subscribers would get, I think whatever whiskey media comes up with will be awesome.  

I was thinking it would be cool if the community of subscribers could upload videos to the site and do their own endurance runs or something similar. Some kinda community video gallery?

Also: For people like me who have accounts on all Whiskey Media sites, a good feature would be to someone unify all my accounts or link them together somehow.

#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

If they go the PSN way and have us pay for, I don't know... get invites to PC betas or free DLC then I'll probably pay. However if they go the Xbox Live way and have us pay to use everything except to look at their site, then I will say fuck Whiskey Media and move on.

#20 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I don't want any video features or things of that nature being exclusive to paying members. Honestly, that would go against the entire idea of Giantbomb to me.

#21 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@Brenderous:  Dave's already said on his twitter that unified accounts are in for this subscription thing.
#22 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -
@Gearhead said:
" I don't want any video features or things of that nature being exclusive to paying members. Honestly, that would go against the entire idea of Giantbomb to me. "
Agree'd. If they do have exclusive videos, it would have to be different stuff that they don't already offer. Otherwise I'd feel a bit cheated.
#23 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -
@litrock: Awesoooooome.
#24 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -
@shadowthrone said:
" I personally think it's reasonable for them to go a paid route, they have a lot of video content and streams (which I would expect is fairly expensive to maintain) and not to mention it's their job and they should get paid for it.  I'll state straight up that I'd be willing to pay for the current content on the website. 

Wish List 
  1. Live Quicklooks for more community involvement and giving the community a chance to ask questions while it is occurring.
  2. Another night during the week (perhaps a day of the weekend) for another "Throwdown" event
  3. More Video Reviews
  4. More Endurance Runs -- they are hilarious
  5. Ad Free
  6. Unified Whiskey Media Accounts are a great idea
"
So are you saying that you want video reviews and Endurance Runs to be exclusive to users that pay for the site? That would just split the user-base entirely.
#25 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

I hope Whiskey doesn't pull and IGN and go "here we're gonna push all these ads into your face, pay us to get em' off" but I know that won't happen. If there's gonna be a subscription, there's gotta be a ton of benefits, like maybe faster achievement syncing, or exclusive access to new Giantbomb features.

#26 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

I don't see a problem with this. Of course they couldn't get rid of anything they offer for free right now. Maybe they improve things like trophy tracking/steam tracking on mac. Ads aren't ever a bother to me so they aren't a problem. It all depends on how much it would cost. If its something like a magazine cost for each year that wouldn't be a bother at all. 

#27 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Please...no subscriptions....please.. "
#28 Edited by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Brenderous said:

" @Gearhead said:

" I don't want any video features or things of that nature being exclusive to paying members. Honestly, that would go against the entire idea of Giantbomb to me. "
Agree'd. If they do have exclusive videos, it would have to be different stuff that they don't already offer. Otherwise I'd feel a bit cheated. "
If there were subscriber exclusive videos or podcasts, i think there would be a moral imperative to pirate them. I know i would pirate them, although i would probably be so disgusted at whiskey media that i would lose interest pretty fast. 

Site improvements should never be for-pay only features

Any content or type of content that was previously free should never be made for-pay only (this includes archival support)

It would have to be some content that was new and novel. I cant really think of anything myself other than advertisement removal. If it was any sort of media, I think Giantbomb fans would pirate the shit out of it, and well they should.
#29 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@Brenderous said:
" @Gearhead said:
Agree'd. If they do have exclusive videos, it would have to be different stuff that they don't already offer. Otherwise I'd feel a bit cheated. "
I'm sure if they did anything related to the videos, it would be a staggered release type deal where subscribers see them the day they come out and everyone else gets access to them a few days later, a la Xbox Live Gold v. Silver.

I would love to see some subscriber-only quests and contests (though I'm not sure of the legality of having subscriber-only contests).  I want more Drew in videos regardless.  Obviously, paid subscribers should have the site be ad-free.  Maybe discounts on Whiskey Media schwag/products?
#30 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

In Canada, we don't get ads, but if we did, I would like to pay to receive no ads, banners, videos, or otherwise.

#31 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

Basically: 

Access to exclusive content, but leave the content that's free right now, free.

#32 Posted by Six (611 posts) -

Endurance Run: The Movie: The Video Game.
Featuring free DLC code with new game purchases:  This Ain't No Game: Behind the Scenes Map Pack

this means you need to make a Movie about someone playing Video Games as a Show, and then make a Video Game where You Play as a Character that Plays Video Games just like the character did IN THE MOVIE.  But you have to balance gameplay with other things, like eating, talking to the camera, and sleeping.  To win, you have to play a successful "endurance run" that satisfies the "fans" of your "website" and the game you are playing.

#33 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

Extra is one thing, but missing out on content from the site if you aren't a subscriber would be a bummer so I hope the subscription thing is handled well.

In addition to unified accounts: no adds, the ability to enter some contests/giveaways, only subscribers can play in TNT rounds, subscribers maybe guaranteed get something once a year like a t-shirt/mug/keychain/whatever, exclusive quests, subscribers need a far fewer amount of points before they can edit the wiki......

#34 Posted by fez_soni (78 posts) -

I understand why they would want to go through with this subscription model, but i think this is gonna seriously split the user base on the sites. I wouldn't mind paying a fee for all the great stuff the WhiskeyMedia group does, but many people come to the sites because it's free. We'll see how this turns out, but I don't think it's gonna be what Whiskey hopes this will be.

#35 Posted by shadowthrone (57 posts) -
@Gearhead: Nope, was thinking more of it being a byproduct of subscriptions. They get money and they do more video reviews in general (for the non-paid members as well). It was kinda misleading by adding it to the wish list. I'm going to take it out. Thanks.
#36 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@Supermarius:   Because apparently it's wrong to charge for content? That's the same justification that says its okay to pirate movies/games/music.
#37 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

You guys are supposed to send this in on a letter to the "Real Message Board" thread for discussion. 

#38 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Milkman: As long as I can do everything I can now, thats totally cool with me
#39 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

HD Videos - 720p for paying members would be great.

#40 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -
@cstrang said:
 Obviously, paid subscribers should have the site be ad-free.  Maybe discounts on Whiskey Media schwag/products? "
I like that idea a lot.@buzz_killington said:
" In Canada, we don't get ads, but if we did, I would like to pay to receive no ads, banners, videos, or otherwise. "
I was wondering why I couldn't see ads anywhere:P
#41 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

All I will say about our plans are that there will be no loss of functionality for our subscription model, it will work across all Whiskey sites, and there will likely be a free way to unlock subscription features based on completion of monthly quests.

I'd like to talk more about it, but we're currently building a lot of it right now. I just wanted to make sure people knew this is an optional, additive feature to our sites and we're not trying to build walled gardens.

If you are very serious about providing real feedback and ideas that you can be sure I'll read, please send them to me using the real message board. I'll post commentary for the good and bad there as I find time during our build.

#42 Posted by Insectecutor (1176 posts) -

Happy to pay, don't give a shit about bonus nonsense.

#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

HD Videos,

#44 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I am heavily opposed to this idea. I will never pay to use a website. Even though I love Giant Bomb a lot and changed my gamertag to LucahDeer, I still wouldn't pay. "
this.. except for the gamertag part
#45 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

A bottle of Whiskey delivered by mail to the comfort of your own home once a month? Oh, and a free picture of your sponsored child.
#46 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

To be honest, the fewer features the subscription service has, the happier I'll be. Giving too many extra features to paying users segregates the userbase, which is never good for online communities.

Having said that though, I have every confidence in the staff to be able to provide a subscription service that works, and doesn't segregate the userbase.

#47 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

I would totally be a subscriber.  The whiskey media sites offer awesome content.

#48 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@litrock said:
" @Supermarius:   Because apparently it's wrong to charge for content? That's the same justification that says its okay to pirate movies/games/music. "
Yeah. I know its weird because I'm deeply against piracy of videogames. I think it's the notion of making anything on the internet pay, when it was previously free. It seems like as consumers we should strongly act against the direct monetization of once-free content. We should try to make sure that pay-for-content systems fail in order to discourage sites from using paywalls.  The other wrinkle here is that a significant portion of Giantbomb, or any whiskey media's site, is created by users. The wiki, user reviews, lists, blogs,  even forum posts.  Trying to switch to a pay model on a site which is so heavily a product of voluntarily community enthusiasm seems immoral. I think it would be okay though if you could either contribute a certain minimum amount of content OR pay. That way you could either provide content value or money and not feel like Whiskey media was trying to make money off of your effort.
#49 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@Supermarius:   Hrm, your explanation is logical, well-explained, and thought out. I see where you're coming from, though I disagree to a certain extent. That said, I'd like to see what the features are first. 

Civil discourse on the internet? SHOCK!
#50 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

On a more serious note, I don't think having ad-free subscription would be a bad thing. Whiskey Media still needs monies. They can't survive on mailbags alone (well, maybe Ryan can), though they could probably take to eating the interns... maybe THAT'S why Kessler's there.

Perhaps they'll flesh out the store with DVD box sets or some such. Plenty of other gaming-related websites sell that kind of stuff all the time.