Who do you think will announce a new console at E3 this year?

• 83 results
andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By andymc1989
andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By andymc1989

My prediction is that Nintendo will, followed by Microsoft and Sony next year.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I think there's a chance Nintendo will announce a new one, now that all their classic franchises have all been revisited, but there's no chance that Microsoft or Sony will.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Nintendo has to, since there's a good chance that Move and Kinect will kick their asses soon.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

lol @ S+M... 

Most likely Nintendo, if anyone were to.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Nintendo, if anyone.  

Microsoft and Sony have no reason to replace their systems anytime soon.  They can keep updating the firmware/dashboards, add new featuers, they've each released successful periphereals (kinect/move) which drastically change how games play and both have recently seen hardware revisions.  What benefit could there be in releasing a new system?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" Nintendo has to, since there's a good chance that Move and Kinect will kick their asses soon. "
That really remains to be seen, judging by the early use of Move and Kinect.  That being said, I wouldn't be completely shocked if Nintendo made an announcement about a Wii successor.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By BrickRoad

None of them, I believe. The 3DS will be this years focus for Ninty, Sony have their NGP and Microsoft will probably wait out one more year before anything new.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#10  Edited By DonutFever

I'm think none this year, but one or at least Nintendo will in E3 2012.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm going to guess that none of them will. If someone was to, it would be Nintendo.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Nintendo has to, since there's a good chance that Move and Kinect will kick their asses soon. "
That really remains to be seen, judging by the early use of Move and Kinect.  That being said, I wouldn't be completely shocked if Nintendo made an announcement about a Wii successor. "
It's still a possibility. After all, both are in about the same price range as Nintendo, and from what I've seen, they both work well, so the only advantage Nintendo has is the number of games that have motion control. I'd say that the 360's previous popularity would also factor in, but can't you buy Kinect separately and still have it work on old 360s?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
That really remains to be seen, judging by the early use of Move and Kinect.  That being said, I wouldn't be completely shocked if Nintendo made an announcement about a Wii successor. "
It's still a possibility. After all, both are in about the same price range as Nintendo, and from what I've seen, they both work well, so the only advantage Nintendo has is the number of games that have motion control. I'd say that the 360's previous popularity would also factor in, but can't you buy Kinect separately and still have it work on old 360s? "
Nintendo has also sold so many Wiis this generation that the sales of Kinect and Move are hardly a threat.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10

No Caption Provided
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

Exactly; they've sold so many Wiis that it's gonna be hard to sell more. Then again, the same could be said for the 360, I guess.
Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Codeacious

Nintendo or Microsoft, but I'm not planning on either. Next year, however, I'd be willing to bet on both.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mighty

Nintendo if anything.
andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By andymc1989
@Abyssfull: I'm glad someone appreciated it
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Bollard

It seems pretty obvious that out of those 3 only Nintendo really have anything to gain from announcing a new console... I can't believe some people actually think M or S actually might.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gizmo

Nintendo will reveal a HD Wii.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64

No one will.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haggis

I doubt any will announce this year. I'm expecting some rumbling from Microsoft next year, perhaps. But with the economy the way it is, I expect that Microsoft and Sony will have to wait a bit to produce a viable new console. We won't see anything until 2013 at this rate. Nintendo is on its own schedule, though, and could push out something new before then, but there's no real reason for them to do so. An HD version of the Wii might have made sense a year or two ago, but the market is already saturated. No one is selling lots of new consoles right now, and the market for a completely new console is pretty small at the moment.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts

I'm gonna say none.  Nintendo would if anything but I would be really surprised. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By EpicSteve

This isn't the year for announcements. Nintendo has a whole new platform (3DS) to pimp this year. Maybe later this year we'll get leaks about certain companies using specific tech that points to a new console. That's the closest you'lll get. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think Nintendo and Microsoft will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5004a3f1624
deactivated-5f5004a3f1624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt that a new console will emerge from either Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft this year. We may get some very, very brief and cryptic teaser from Nintendo, but that's as far as I think it'll go.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jmfinamore

I can't see Nintendo doing it solely because they're going to put their weight behind the 3DS. They won't want anything to take thunder. Though I guess I could see them dropping news/hints about a new console. 

Sony and Microsoft won't.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob

If anyone did, it would be Nintendo. 

But thats not the case, because nobody will.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

Nintendo

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By General_D23

Nintendo's the only one that would reasonably do it, and even then...I think it'd be next year.

Microsoft just launched the Kinect and Sony is in zero position to do anything of the sort.

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By carminescarf

A new console would be expensive to launch for any company right now. Also expensive for the software manufacturer.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By chronicsmoke

Out of those  nintendo,dont count on sony or ms to announce anything this year

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CandleJakk

No-one will. Microsoft has Kinect to show off, hopefully with more developers fully realising it's potential. Likewise with Sony & the Move, but they're also committed to a ten-year cycle (near enough); PS2s are still being sold new in the UK. Nintendo is the most likely, but as others have stated, they need to push the 3DS like mad this E3, showing a strong line-up of titles for the Christmas holiday. 

I love @gingertastic_10's idea of Sega announcing a new console though.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think that anyone will, but if ANY of them were to unveil a new console, I think it would have to be Nintendo. The Wii is a generation behind hardware-wise, and now that Move and Kinect are here, Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on that market.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

nobody because they just released motion controls. if they do then it is going to be a big disapointment for people that bought kinect and move. nintendo might because they haven't released anything big. they might even release an HD one.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Faint

Nintendo won't unveil a brand new console. Maybe an HD alteration of the Wii, but with the 3DS about to come out, I imagine they'll just talk about how sales are going for that and show new games coming and crap. The other two big boys in the gaming business won't be unveiling any new console either.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By benpicko

Sony will unveil a new portable. It will be called NGP.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By jakob187
@gingertastic_10: We can only hope.
bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bwmcmaste
@laserbolts:  

I concur. 

The problem with the market right now is that all three platforms have likely exhausted their prospective install-base. How many people have waited four years (give or take) for a present-generation console? All that's left is the chaff of video game consumers and new consumers (read: kids and poor folks), and it's unlikely that any of the platforms will see many new game sales going to them - which is significant, because as we all know: consoles make their bread and butter from new game sales.  

The bottom line is: although the market needs a new console, it's highly unlikely that we will see one soon.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwmcmaste:  I disagree, especially when you consider that most modern consoles are released at a loss to the company. Hardware is a tough sell. I think they make far more off of software than they could make on hardware in the same time frame.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#41  Edited By BeachThunder

Apple.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By zameer

Probably Nintendo. I doubt S&M would announce one so soon after people bought Move and Kinect, that'd just be a dick move.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Radar

Nintendo MAY reveal a new iteration of the Wii but noway there's going to be a "new" console.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DarkTravesty

nobody, next year all 3.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Andorski

Not including hardware updates (e.g. 360/PS3 slim), none of the companies will announce new hardware at E3.  Sony and Nintendo have the NGP and 3DS to market, and the release of the Move and Kinect show that Sony and Microsoft are willing to stick with their current consoles for more than just a year.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By spazmaster666

Considering Sony has said they wanted a 10-year life cycle on the PS3 and Microsoft is making a push with Kinect, a new console at this point is basically crazy talk. A new console means hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D and Microsoft is just starting to make money with the 360 and Sony probably is still losing money/breaking even on the PS3. Nintendo is more likely to introduce a new console but given that the current Wii hardware by today's standard's is incredibly outdated. Nintendo, after all, will have to enter the HD arena at some point, though the chances of them coming out with an "HD" Wii seems unlikely considering that if they really wanted to release it, they would have done it to counter Kinect/Move.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By p_p_o_d

ether microsft or nintendo.  

Nintendo because wii sales have kind of jump falling so much. 

Microsoft maybe to get a head start again but the 360 is in such a good spot right now in the US they really REALLY shouldnt risk it. 

Sony could go another year or 2 before announcing the ps4.       

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bwmcmaste
@President_Barackbar:  

The first two-thirds of my post addresses that subject. However, you and I appear to be in agreement on where the "bread and butter" of console money is. 
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dtat

God i hope someone does. It probably will be Nintendo if anyone. I'd love to see Microsoft bust out with something crazy, but they've put so much behind Kinect right now that we'll probably have to wait. 

My guess is Kinect is going to fall hard before too long, which might sort of force them back into the arms race. Just a guess though. It's still pretty early in Kinect's life, but I'm gonna go on record saying it probably won't last very long.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None is my guess, but if anyone does I would guess Nintendo.