Posted by HammondofTexas (647 posts) 5 months, 15 days ago

Poll: Who do you want Giant Bomb to hire? (1179 votes)

Shawn Elliott 6%
Jeff Cannata 3%
Danny O'dwyer 37%
A new Video Duder so Drew and Vinny get more screen time 40%
Other (Name someone in your post) 14%

The most recent Unprofessional Fridays was a skeleton crew, and although I found the show to be absolutely hilarious and entertaining Jeff mentioned that steps are being taken to hire some new people. With that being said who do you guys want to see get potentially hired to join the Giant Bomb Crew? I've added a few names to a poll that I have seen/heard floating around, as well as just hiring a new Video Duder who could free up Drew and Vinny to be in more content. If you choose 'other' let everyone know who you'd choose and why!

Let your voices be heard!

#1 Posted by believer258 (11813 posts) -

It doesn't really have to be somebody we know.

#2 Posted by AndrewB (7590 posts) -

Garnett Lee?

#3 Posted by fumaofthelake (5 posts) -

Poach Chris Plante.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Me.

#5 Edited by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Rowdy Roddy Piper, or a homeless person.

Serious response: Shawn Elliot and Jeff Cannata. I've never seen anything by Danny O'Dwyer, I'm sure he's great though.

EDIT: Oh, and Garnett Lee.

#6 Edited by Abendlaender (2789 posts) -

Video_Game_King

As awesome as it would be, it definitely won't be Danny. He already said that

#7 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

Want DOD (Danny O'Dwyer). I don't really think they can steal him from Gamespot, but he just meshes so well with the GB crew. I could name a couple other cool dudes but they also have solid jobs elsewhere.

I'm confident whoever comes on board will be a good addition.

#8 Posted by Zelyre (1175 posts) -

Shawn Elliot always cracked me up on GFW Radio. He could be Giant Bomb's Second Life expert!

However, he's no longer on the coast, he's a talented dude, and with his years of experience in game design and journalism would have a much higher price point than say... an old Giant Bomb intern.

#9 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2246 posts) -

Whoever it is I hope that we don't see the amount of hate from the community like when Patrick first started (and still hear from time to time)

#10 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

Everyone's secret-favorite.

#11 Edited by Abendlaender (2789 posts) -
@blu3v3nom07 said:

Everybody's secret-favorite.

Polygon man? (I seriously have no idea who that is)

#12 Posted by csl316 (8473 posts) -

Someone that fits and just loves games.

Honestly, I think someone new to the industry would make things really interesting. So someone with a fresh perspective that works hard.

#13 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4984 posts) -

"Brad" Shoemaker

#14 Posted by Nodima (1165 posts) -

Me!

#15 Edited by benspyda (2033 posts) -

I've always wished Justin McElroy would join GB. So if I could choose a person it would be him. Just steal him from polygon, that site doesn't make any sense to me anyway.

Garnet Lee would probably be a more realistic candidate I could get behind, I enjoyed his devil advocate discussions on weekend confirmed and I think he would make a great host for the bombcast.

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2739 posts) -

Judge Reinhold

#17 Posted by GunstarRed (5126 posts) -

The Gamesmaster.

#18 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -
#19 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

I would love to work there.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

Technically it's not like they would hire Danny.

He's already getting a paycheck from CBSi.

(my ideal hire would be Cara Ellison but that's just my pipe dream)

#21 Edited by me3639 (1753 posts) -

I posted something a year ago on the subject, and i will retract most, except for Nikole Z., but after just listening to the GOTY podcast, here is who they need to hire.....SOMEONE THAT PLAYS AND FINISHES GAMES besides Alex and PK. Drew doesnt count nor does Vinny as i dont think that is their primary job in the office. That way you can have an interesting discussion on games, you know why the site exist.....for now. Im really tired of Jeff acting like a negative Nancy all the time and his negativity has bearing on the crew. Sometimes you just have to cut a man loose and like Bill Gates, for example, everyone even the founder is replaceable.

#22 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

Don't care who it is as long as they gel with the crew and bring something fresh to the table. Like... someone into 4X games, D&D, web design, and fantasy lady wallpapers. But seriously, a nice surprise like Ian would be cool. As long as it isn't Justin McElroy. I could never listen to the main podcast again with him on it. Nothing against the guy's opinions or even things like MBMBaM, he just sounds like he's fighting his way out of seven feet of saliva.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (3128 posts) -
This Guy

#24 Edited by Nightriff (5027 posts) -

Justin McElroy or Jeff Green would be perfect fits

But I trust the crew with whomever they hire, was sour on Patrick in the beginning and he has grown on me over the years.

#25 Edited by Nightriff (5027 posts) -

@me3639 said:

I posted something a year ago on the subject, and i will retract most, except for Nikole Z., but after just listening to the GOTY podcast, here is who they need to hire.....SOMEONE THAT PLAYS AND FINISHES GAMES besides Alex and PK. Drew doesnt count nor does Vinny as i dont think that is their primary job in the office. That way you can have an interesting discussion on games, you know why the site exist.....for now. Im really tired of Jeff acting like a negative Nancy all the time and his negativity has bearing on the crew. Sometimes you just have to cut a man loose and like Bill Gates, for example, everyone even the founder is replaceable.

What the hell are you talking about? Jeff plays and finishes a lot of games, sorry he doesn't care for the ones you obviously like. I'm still sour about how he forced the crew in having Syndicate in the top 5 (or 6) of 2012 GotY but he is entitled to his own opinion.

#26 Posted by Flacracker (1660 posts) -

Cigs66

#27 Posted by 71Ranchero (2739 posts) -

Tinky Winky. Just imagine the live streams.

#28 Edited by eskimo (476 posts) -

Whoever they want

#29 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

Either a new video guy so we can keep Vinny and Drew in front of the camera, or someone completely new and unknown that just fits well with the team.

#30 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

Honestly, I have no idea. They already have a fantastic crew in every respect, but I will go along with most people and say a new video duder would help

#31 Posted by WMoyer83 (639 posts) -

ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

....or Adam Sessler.

#32 Posted by SomeJerk (3218 posts) -

(x) Other
A person suitable for the position, no matter their age gender or colour.

#33 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -

They should hunt down and capture John Vignocchi.

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2952 posts) -

Shawn Elliot and Jeff Cannata wouldn't fit in with the GB crew at all, at all. Don't get me wrong, I like both these guys in their ways and have followed Jeff since TRS and Shawn since GFW but they have way different styles to the GB duders, Jeff is more clean cut made for TV 'loves loving things' and Shawn is either talking about dank internet holes or diving deep on game design and mechanics. Same with Jeff Green to an extent, although that Bombcast with the 'Jeff' and 'Brad' replacements was awesome. (Can't believe we still don't know what Green is doing yet!)

Danny fits in well but we all know he's over at GS doing his thing, he's got the Point and the Lobby going on and it seems like he's getting the freedom he wants to do different shows. I imagine he gets more budget to do what he wants over at GS too, check out that intro for the Lobby alone. I think GB would kind've be a step down with the 'style' of GB as a basic 'I don't know, we'll figure it out.' It's fine to hang with your 'cool uncle' now and again but its better to have the security/foundation of a clean cut, dare I say, professional work environment when it boils down to it.

I really do wonder though if the people being hired (I think Jeff has said in the past two?) will already be in the internet famous bubble or just people to be the behind the scenes guys so Drew and Vinny can come out to play more often. It shall be an interesting next couple of months for sure.

#35 Edited by Abendlaender (2789 posts) -

You all know it's not going to be a person we know right? If I had to guess it'll probably be somebody I have never heard of. Or Dan Ryckert. Maybe they hire Brad Nicholson back, who knows. Or Jack Tretton.

#36 Posted by BlamBlam (46 posts) -

Hiring someone to help with video makes the most sense. More of Drew and Vinny and the new guy doesn't have to be a 'personality' for quick looks or content but could grow into one.

#37 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -

This guy

#38 Edited by CaLe (3964 posts) -

Make Dave drop all this website building malarkey and get him on the sofa for chrissake.

#39 Posted by megalowho (965 posts) -

They can hire me, I do video editing/production and live encoding for a living and want a new job. Plus we had our Tricaster stolen a few years back and I'm itching to play with one again. Where do I sign?

#40 Posted by Veektarius (4775 posts) -

@giyn: I only support a Kessler hire if he buys bigger glasses.

#41 Edited by Ben_H (3344 posts) -

Ice T or RiFF RAFF. Though RiFF RAFF could be problematic because Rorie would keep trying to chomp Jody Husky and would keep getting a versace black eye as a result.

Oh, we're being serious. Umm... I want Jeff Green, though apparently that isn't going to happen because he found work elsewhere or something like that.

A new video person would probably be the best thing. They had a good thing going when they got Ian to cover video stuff.

#42 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11639 posts) -

Someone who is cool and not lame is my vote, though they should really just hire some fresh-faced out of college kid whose first console was the PS1 and then he can magically attract all the weird petty hatred that Patrick has been receiving all this time.

Someone who actually plays video games would be nice too.

#43 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1242 posts) -

Jeff Green or Justin McElroy would be cool. Or they can just keep going through the Golden Duder roster and hire Greg Kasavin and keep going from there.

#44 Edited by Stonyman65 (2680 posts) -

I would love to see Carrie Gouskos or Greg K but I seriously doubt that would happen since they are both off making video games somewhere. Dave coming back would be great but he's off doing his new website thing so that isn't going to happen (at least not any time in the foreseeable future anyway).

Whoever they hire though, I think it would be a really good idea on their part to staff up on video production people. They don't need more personalities, they need people behind the scenes making the machines work and making sure content gets made and up on the site. With the amount of (long) videos these guys do on a weekly basis, just having Drew and Vinny running the back-end isn't enough, especially when they are already running double duty on the Bombcast and the weekly live shows. All in all that's a lot of work to do for a staff of only 8 people - 2 of which live on the other side of the country.

#45 Posted by TDot (289 posts) -

I know this would never happen but the like two time Justin McElroy has been on the bombcast were some of the funniest fucking things ever.

#46 Posted by Shmellow (7 posts) -

John Drake

#47 Posted by LeetBalla (698 posts) -

Jeff Canata is amazing. By far one of the smartest if not the smartest game journalist out there right now. But he is probably too busy with his own project and Shack News to jump over to the bomb.

#48 Edited by DylanGW (130 posts) -

There aren't many people working for the games press that I care for anymore besides at Giantbomb. Most of them have moved onto different jobs within the industry and will never be coming back; that includes Shawn Elliot, Jeff Green, and Shane (man-god) Bettenhausen who were some of my favourite personalities. There are others I still like, for example Jeremy Parish, but he wouldn't work well with Giantbomb. I loved 1up Yours but I've never been a fan of Garnett Lee. If we're talking about hiring another person for on-camera it needs to be someone who gets the squads sense of humour and brings something new to the table. Someone who has a better knowledge of jrpgs or sports games would add diversity to the site. One thing Giantbomb could cover more is gaming culture rather than just the games themselves. If Giantbomb were to consider going in that direction they could hire Robert Ashley, the creator of the excellent (but rarely updated) podcast "A Life Well Wasted" and former GFW radio contributor. Then maybe we'd finally see a Midnight Brown/I Come to Shanghai collaboration. That's my wish anyway.

#49 Posted by fisk0 (4037 posts) -

I'd kinda want to hear more of Kat Bailey or Jenn Frank. They are very rarely in any podcasts since the closure of 1UP.

#50 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

Jeff Canata's my pick out of that line up, but I'd really be fine if it was someone unknown.