• 84 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (728 posts) -

I'm going to go with the Doom guy because he is the ultimate space marine. Plus it is a known fact that he is better than Master Chief.

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Nathan Drake because he has the ultimate half-tuck.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Come back when he's half truck.

#4 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Mario, He is the ultamate icon of gaming.

#5 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Charlie Tunoku.

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cloudenvy said:

What do you think I am? some sort of mad scientist that wants to make a creature half Nathan Drake, half truck?

#7 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

For me, it's Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell series. Sam has a dark sense of humor, which is excellently shown in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Plus, he knows how to sneak around in the darkness, and attack enemies from behind, in order to hide their bodies, interrogate them or use them as a shield.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I never felt more connected to a character than my own Commander Shepard.

I'd have to say its Link from Zelda for me though, he's the kid going on all the adventures we wished we could have.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11796 posts) -

<-

Well, OK, I wouldn't necessarily call him a video game character, but he has been in a few games. A few games of dubious quality, but games nonetheless.

For a more serious answer, uh, Dante I guess? This is why I'd say that, but I don't really know what to say for a definite answer. Gordon Freeman, Ratchet, Samus Aran, John Marston, Link, Donkey Kong, etc.; there are just too many beloved video game characters to pick one single "best" one out of them all.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

Nier, maybe? either him or Mike Thornton from Alpha Protocol. I'd say Geralt but he was a book character first.

#11 Posted by DeF (4859 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Speaking of which, I vote for Red Truck and Blue Truck.

#12 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Paddle from Pong, I like my video game protagonists the same way I like my women. Bouncing up and down and constantly playing with balls.

#13 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@believer258: Gordon Freeman?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, I'm letting that one slide since you mentioned Ratchet!

#14 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@craigbo180 said:

Paddle from Pong, I like my video game protagonists the same way I like my women. Bouncing up and down and constantly playing with balls.

Nice.

I'm just gonna default to Master Chief since he seems to inspire so many people.

#15 Edited by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Halo hes a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

#16 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

I'm Commander Shepard, and I'm my favorite protagonist in the Citadel.

#17 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Bayonetta because she's Bayonetta.

#18 Edited by GunstarRed (5118 posts) -

Parappa the Rapper as he is a rapping dog in a hat.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11796 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258: Gordon Freeman?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, I'm letting that one slide since you mentioned Ratchet!

You don't like Gordon Freeman? What the hell!?

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Kat's a neat new protagonist in terms of personality.

#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6969 posts) -

Mario, they developed a character with just animations and sound. No voice and no, at least in the beginning, text. It was all art.

#22 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@believer258: Oh right, you probably don't know...I don't like Half-Life 2!

*gets ready for a fight*

#23 Edited by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

Revan, he's so bad ass he doesn't even need to know that he's Revan to whip some dudes. He's survived dying multiple times. Fought the Republic and won (kind of), fought the Sith and won (kind of).He's not afraid to use a purple light saber and the only character with enough balls in the Star Wars universe to grow a mullet. No he doesn't die in the foundry, you're quite dumb if you think you killed him when he flashed away. Oh and he can teleport cause why the fuck not. If you want to know more go ask the cult that worships him.

For hair reference

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I'll say Commander Shepard ... my Shepard is the best videogame protagonist , I really felt attached to him over the course of those games ,sure he was mostly an avatar for whatever personality I wanted he to have but I felt conected to that personality.

#25 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

I'm Commander Shepard, and I'm my favorite protagonist in the Citadel.

I just realized the thread title asked why.

I'd just say Commander Shepard since whether the player makes him Renegade, Paragon or other, Commander Shepard successfully overcomes all alien races' prejudice against humans, resolves a bunch of intergalactic conflicts (whether by brokering peace or with genocide), dies and comes back to life, survives a suicide mission and eventually unites all/most surviving races against the Reaper threat. Notwithstanding debates about Commander Shepard at the ending, he's still accomplished a lot more than your ordinary hero.

#26 Posted by believer258 (11796 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

*gets ready for a fight*

*checks profile for achievements* *checks Steam list*

Wait a minute...

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Last played on Dec. 9, 2011
12/22 ACH
B
9620 players
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Last played on Dec. 8, 2011
7/13 ACH
B
7495 players
Half-Life 2
Last played on Dec. 7, 2011
17/33

You played all three of them, three days in a row, and didn't decide that you didn't like the games until completing the second episode? That seems somewhat akin to playing through all of the Gears of War games before deciding that cover-based shooting is not for you...

#27 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@believer258: I got challenged to play through them, one of my friends decided that I couldn't talk bad about it unless I played through everything Half-Life 2.

So I played through everything Half-Life 2!

#28 Posted by believer258 (11796 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258: I got challenged to play through them, one of my friends decided that I couldn't talk bad about it unless I played through everything Half-Life 2.

All right? So... why don't you like the games? I, personally, thought they were near-flawless masterpieces, but I'm wide-open to other criticisms.

#29 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@believer258: I think the combat and puzzles are dull (god, I hate seesaw puzzles) and the driving sections are really bad!

Alyx is okay, I guess!

#30 Posted by VelourMustache (54 posts) -

I am the best video game protagonist because I have saved countless lives/species/worlds/galaxies/timelines and usually do it all within a matter of hours.

#31 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

*gets ready for a fight*

So what's gonna happen now is I'm going to find you and strangle you with chicken wire. What time would be most convenient for you?

I have several answers. I have a great affection for Ezio Auditore because I followed him throughout his lifetime and because he's such a well-realized, believable protagonist. I also really like John Marston because he's fucking John Marston. His storyline is one of the best of the generation and RDR has one of the best endings in recent memory. But if I had to choose one of the most obligatory answers I'd go with Link. He and Mario may do the exact same thing but Link is a character I care about more because most of the time he's just a kid no older than 18 in any game. Plus (I'm about to be that guy) Ocarina of Time is the greatest game of all time.

#32 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: Come at me!

#33 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden

Because video games

#34 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Revan, he's so bad ass he doesn't even need to know that he's Revan to whip some dudes. He's survived dying multiple times. Fought the Republic and won (kind of), fought the Sith and won (kind of).He's not afraid to use a purple light saber and the only character with enough balls in the Star Wars universe to grow a mullet. No he doesn't die in the foundry, you're quite dumb if you think you killed him when he flashed away. Oh and he can teleport cause why the fuck not. If you want to know more go ask the cult that worships him.

For hair reference

fuck that the exile is way better

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

*gets ready for a fight*

*checks profile for achievements* *checks Steam list*

Wait a minute...

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Last played on Dec. 9, 2011
12/22 ACH
B
9620 players
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Last played on Dec. 8, 2011
7/13 ACH
B
7495 players
Half-Life 2
Last played on Dec. 7, 2011
17/33

You played all three of them, three days in a row, and didn't decide that you didn't like the games until completing the second episode? That seems somewhat akin to playing through all of the Gears of War games before deciding that cover-based shooting is not for you...

It's not totally similar because Episodes 1 and 2 are both only a few hours long but hey maybe just wanted to give the games a fair and honest shot.

Still going to strangle you though, Cloudenvy.
#36 Posted by Illuminosopher (321 posts) -

User created character.

#37 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@VelourMustache said:

I am the best video game protagonist because I have saved countless lives/species/worlds/galaxies/timelines and usually do it all within a matter of hours.

this.

#38 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

All about Solid Snake myself. Saved the world multiple times, master at wetworks operations, and consummate ladies man. Snake has always been the ultimate badass for me and you can't deny that signature David Hayter voice!

#39 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

I dont know...I'll throw in John Marston since no one else has.

Edit: Never mind, someone did. Still keeping it in anyway,.

#40 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Punchithard(lvl 59 monk, diablo 3): cause she punches stuff a lot.
Or Vayne, my Max Level Sith Warrior-dude-guy. Because he's badass.. Fucking HK droid got nothing on him 

#41 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

The Nameless One, from Planescape. In terms of the game allowing you to develop the protaganist.

Picking an excptional protaganist seems a bit weird to me. If I am the one filling in and determining the protagonist's unique characteristics, it does not necessarily seem like it should be included in this type of question to some extent (ie. Mario's relationship with the player is completely different than Commander Shepard's). If a protagonist is entirely filled it, it is often the sort of game where the lead's character has a limited personality. But if you are including the other sort of characters (e.g. playerName Hawk) the grading would be based on how open the game left you to define that character.

#42 Posted by CountMacula (234 posts) -
#43 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

so you had your mind set before ever playing the game, and when you did play the game you were setting out to prove your friend wrong! you are a hater!

#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Who do you think? 
That's right.

#45 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1826 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Irvandus said:

For hair reference

fuck that the exile is way better

but all the exile did was get stuck in floor then have all his friends die no matter what. although i guess he does have some relations to Matthew rorie so sure hes pretty cool

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Tarsier: Nah! if anything I'd looooooooooooooooooooooove to like Half-Life 2! I'd love to be stoked about another Half-Life!

No such luck I'm afraid.

#47 Posted by Hunter5024 (5615 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't like Half-Life 2!

They all said I was crazy! But it's not just me! Its not!

#48 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

Solid Snake.

Why? David fucking Hayter. The greatest voice in gaming.

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4717 posts) -

Batman.

#50 Posted by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

Kratos, because he's Kratos. Never in the history of gaming has another character in terms of his personality and actions fitted perfectly with his games design. He is far from likeable as a person but as a character I find him infinitely entertaining.

Perhaps if their is ever a game with a character I can relate to, empathize with and admire beyond a simple state of entertainment they will take his place for me.