• 93 results
#1 Posted by ScottyHawkeye (37 posts) -

In the years of research I've looked to see who the worst character is here are names that are common

1) Shao Ting

2) Luigi

3) Robin

4) Mario

5) Sgt. Johnson

6) Irving Lambert

7) Captain Won Ton

8) Ninja Fu Hya

9) Hawkeye

10) Rookie (Halo 3 ODST)

who is it?

This is based on Personality, Game-play, and Boss Fight

#2 Edited by Kidable (127 posts) -

You have both Luigi AND Mario on this, what is even going on here. Also, you've a few comic characters in there, and I think that's pretty broad considering their bad reputation stems FROM their comic incarnations and as such, shouldn't be on here. Let's keep it real, yo. The rest just seem like lackluster side-characters that aren't necessarily bad, just very expendable and not even worth a thought.

Kaiden Alenko would be up there all the time, forever.

#3 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

What the fuck is Sgt. Johnson doing on this list?

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Navi

#5 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -
#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -
#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -
@kidable said:

Kaiden Alenko would be up there all the time, forever.

That fucker... i killed Ashley the first time because i couldn't stand her in ME1 while Kaidan was slightly more bearable. But in ME3 he is SO FUCKING BAD >:(

I started a second playthrough and killed Kaidan this time. I haven't reach ME3 again yet but hopefully she's not as bad.

#8 Posted by benspyda (2038 posts) -

#9 Posted by FUMN (85 posts) -

Years of research at work here people. Don't question it.

Personally the only video game character design that I can remember hating is prototype two. Everyone in that game is annoying and dumb. Oh, and Selphie from FFXIII.

#10 Edited by Picsl (202 posts) -

Tingle, the frog from Star Fox, that Russian broad from Golden Eye, Baby Mario... Oh, and Navi.

#11 Edited by Animasta (14712 posts) -

@benspyda: Vanille isn't even the worst final fantasy character (or even the worst character in that game), she's not that bad.

#12 Posted by mwng (944 posts) -

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5305 posts) -
#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Don't you mean Charmy the Bee!?

As redundant as that character is I'd take it over Big the Cat. Who is just annoying with his stupid belly laugh and voice. Just thinking about it angers me. A reaction no other character give me.

@animasta said:

@benspyda: Vanille isn't even the worst final fantasy character (or even the worst character in that game), she's not that bad.

I'm with this. She is okay, not great by any stretch but I don't mind her even with her need for expression through gasps. I dig her character design and she has a neat place in the fiction. Plus she theme is great. I'd take her over anyone from FF8 with the slight exception of Squall. Those are some boring one note characters. At least Squall has an arc to him.

#16 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

Don't you mean Silver the Hedgehog, Rogue the Bat, Jet the Hawk, Cream the Rabbit, Scourge the Hedgehog, Mighty the Armadillo, Blaze the Hedgehog, and Elise the Human?

In sum: Sonic characters suck.

#17 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@bog said:

@gunstarred said:

Don't you mean Silver the Hedgehog, Rogue the Bat, Jet the Hawk, Cream the Rabbit, Scourge the Hedgehog, Mighty the Armadillo, Blaze the Hedgehog, and Elise the Human?

Elise the human? Is that the long lost sister of Jake the human?

... I bet it is the girl from sonic 06 but I wanted to make an adventure joke. Gotta prove i'm hip to the new generation.

#18 Edited by ScottyHawkeye (37 posts) -

@kidable: Mario is lame every game I have to save the princess from King Kubba keeping her hostage in an unlocked kastle

The comic book characters i list are ineffective in games

#19 Posted by ScottyHawkeye (37 posts) -

@grimluck343: Sgt. Johnson is so fucking annoying and so is Irving Lambert

#20 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@bog said:

@gunstarred said:

Why does this have a page with no game credits?

#22 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

The second Sonic The Hedgehog started talking, he became the worst character ever.

#23 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Tiny Tina. Fuck everything about her.

#24 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

This is a fucking joke, right? Mario AND Luigi? Serious, what the fuck.

Anyway Tiny Tina is a piece of shit and basically the majority of the Sonic the Hedgehog characters (i.e. Tails and Big the Cat).

#25 Posted by DeathByWaffle (641 posts) -

What's wrong with Sgt. Johnson?

#26 Posted by BrianMcBride (28 posts) -

Lymle is by far the worst character I have ever seen in a game

#27 Posted by DonutFever (3554 posts) -

Ken from Persona 3.

Also, Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2.

#28 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

The 2 worst characters currently are Sonic and Tails.

#29 Edited by benspyda (2038 posts) -

@animasta said:

No, you are right, my mistake. Snow is even worse:

Actually no, now I am sure, it is this one (worst character of all time):

The only two redeemable characters in that game were lightning and the guy with the bird in his hair.

#30 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -
#31 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

If you don't remove Luigi from this list, there will be murder! (Dont agree about Mario either, but I dont really care)

Hope from FFXIII is absolutely terrible. So is Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2.

#32 Posted by Sgtpierceface (632 posts) -

@mwng said:

Probably the most perfect fucking answer that will grace this thread.

#33 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5735 posts) -

I suppose you could go with Dan from Street Fighter; but Hope and Rico are pretty solid choices as well. Ramza from FFT is pretty bad, though his badness merely serves to make Delita all the more awesome (and he's not particularly annoying at any point). Baby Mario, the Beauties from MGS4, and Gwynevere from Dark Souls are also high on the list.

Snow is as bad (read: awesome) as punching a dude and firing his gun in the air yelling "I'm a terrorist and here to kill you all!"

Honorable mention to almost every Silent Protagonist

#34 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

Rayman

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@benspyda: @strife777: @fredchuckdave: I must be one of the few who not only had no issue with hope but liked him. He may of been my favorite in the game. Him and Lighting. What is everyone's issue with him?

#36 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

@benspyda: @strife777: @fredchuckdave: I must be one of the few who not only had no issue with hope but liked him. He may of been my favorite in the game. Him and Lighting. What is everyone's issue with him?

From what I remember, he's an immature, whiny, selfish little kid driven only by his unjustified desire for revenge towards Snow. It wasn't even Snow's fault his mother died, but he just had to blame someone.

#37 Posted by benspyda (2038 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan: I found most of the dialogue that came out of Hope, Snow and Vanille's mouths so painful, made worse by how much screen time they had. I thought the actual game part of FFXIII was as good as previous in the series, but I hated the characters so much I couldn't enjoy the game in the slightest. At least the bad characters from previous games were more dull than they were annoying.

I really like all the characters in Ni No Kuni and it makes a real difference to my enjoyment of a Japanese game more so than a western one. Probably because they are so narrative heavy.

#38 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Rico from killzone has got to be one of the most annoying characters ever. All his constant yelling and other stupid bs he did was just annoying as all hell. I'd also say tiny tina. I know some people like her, but after the first 5 minutes of meeting her, her act got real old and real fast and i just wanted her to shut the fuck up and stop talking.

#39 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

@benspyda: Yeah snow was a little annoying but hope wasn't so bad. He gets much better as the game goes on and i grew to like him but he was a little annoying at the beginning of the game.

#40 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Marl the plumber and the evil dino man

#41 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

He's basically a poor man's Ken from Persona 3. Also every "Project Nora" line was pretty ridiculous. Once he got his beef all straightened out with Snow, he lost every ounce of character and was uninteresting for the rest of the game.

Not saying I personally hate him, but there is plenty to not like about Hope.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

I like hope but that's because he turned into awesome bishie time lord or whatever in 13-2.

I was actually thinking of space pope with that comment

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

From what I remember, he's an immature, whiny, selfish little kid driven only by his unjustified desire for revenge towards Snow. It wasn't even Snow's fault his mother died, but he just had to blame someone.

Okay, his mother just suddenly died. ANYONE ANYONE who loses someone suddenly is going to be an emotional wreck and grasping for answers not to mention a 15 year old kid. Hope blamed Snow for his mothers death because he needed SOMEONE to blame because he couldn't cope with the fact that she was gone. Seriously, what do you expect the kid to do? Be like "Lol, my mom died guyz"?

After he reaches his character arc and deals with the death of his mother emotionally he starts to change as a person and you see this change in FFXIII-2 where he is a entirely self-confident driven individual.

#44 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Ugh, Moneybags is a pretty annoying character. Not really a major character, but yo I worked hard for dem gems.

#45 Posted by sciential (32 posts) -

Charles Lee goes a long way towards ruining Assassin's Creed 3.

If you remove him and let the primary antagonist be who it ought to be, you've got an interesting conflict with an individual who makes Connor and the assassins' self-righteousness seem hypocritical and doomed to failure - but is still a ruthless dick who you want to kill.

Instead you face a sweaty, maniacal-looking evil-doer of evil who might as well be twirling his mustache the whole game.

#46 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I don't think I've hated a character as much as Tidus. There are worst characters out there, but I think it's the fact that FFX would have been near perfect to me if it hadn't have been for such an awkward, whiny, petulant frontman. It's like the missed layup at the end of the game. It was in hand. Why?

#47 Posted by handsomeb (70 posts) -
#48 Edited by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

@demoskinos : I'm not saying he's wrong in being emotional, I never even implied it. When I say whiny, I don't mean "Boohoo! My mother died." Of course he would be sad. He just never brings anything to the team and blaming someone without justification is not something anyone would do. Sure, he's 15, and he's not as mature, but that doesn't make him any less annoying considering his mother's death is not always the subject of his "tantrums". Anyway, again I'm speaking out of memory, which is faint when it comes to that game.

You know what, I could just shorten this by saying, it doesn't matter what his ordeal was, as a character, he wasn't likable/relatable/sympathetic, IMO.

#49 Edited by IBurningStar (2188 posts) -

Well Hope has to take it for my least favorite character. I'm sure there are worse characters our there, but they have to be from games that I either never player or played only a little bit of. For whatever reason I put a lot of time into FF XIII and this guy managed to always find a way to annoy me, piss me off, or make me roll my eyes. His behavior didn't even come close to making sense. His whole character arc was extremely forced and unnatural feeling and it caused him to be completely unlikable. He is a perfect example of artificial drama. Nothing about him was ever grounded enough or relatable so it was impossible to feel any sort of empathy for him or be sympathetic in the least.

What is really crazy is how in XIII-2 he is an alright dude and kind of fucking awesome. I guess SE can write decent characters when they don't have to fill their games with absurd amounts of melodrama.

Now if we want to talk about worst character from an aesthetic value...

This motherfucker will win that argument every time.

#50 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Tiny Tina is easily the worst character I've ever encountered in a video game