Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided

The Verge: Samsung's Galaxy Gear is a smartwatch like no other

No Caption Provided

The Galaxy Gear just got announced. 1.63 inch screen, 4 GB of storage, and it does everything you would want a phone to do, and video.

Launches in Early October, in the US. Thoughts?

Update:

The Verge: Qualcomm enters the smartwatch game with Toq

No Caption Provided

The Verge: Sony's SmartWatch 2 is better than the first one, but still far too expensive

And I'll look for it a little later, but Google, Apple, and Microsoft are supposed to come out with their own SmartWatches soon at some point. But those still didn't get announced. So eh.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jdh5153

Not I. The only time I wear a watch is when it's jewelry, not to tell the time or do anything else. Wouldn't be caught dead wearing a plastic looking watch or any sort of digital watch. Besides, what's the point if you always have a smart phone in your pocket? I can see a use for Google Glass, but not this.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whos buying a watch?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My phone is my watch.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

The thought of "functionality" in a watch disgusts me.

Watches are for poppin' peepers, impressing chicks and businessmen, and occasionally checking the time.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

Hopefully Apple will have an analogous "thing" soon. This looks ugly and too huge (and it probably runs Android which no thank you).

Or Microsoft? Heck I'm rocking Windows Phone right now, I like that OS. We'll see. I doubt Microsoft would want to be late to a party again, so I wouldn't be too surprised at an offering from them as well. Though I also wouldn't be too surprised at the lack thereof because Microsoft is still Microsoft.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli

I wear a 1.1k watch every day, since 16 years. Not one defect. Still going true. Worth every last penny.

A 300$ smartwatch? Not unless there's a premium model with the same kind of lifetime companion quality as a high quality wristwatch. Of course that would be counter to the whole gadget angle of the thing. So no, I wouldn't wear a smart watch over a proper wristwatch.

Then again, it's a pretty snazzy looking device, and I always wanted to talk into my watch since I was a wee little boy. So sure, I'd be at least willing to give it a go - if they'd hand me one for *free* with a dataplan or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$300 and it'll only supports Galaxy devices(and only two of those, both brand new, at launch)? Does Samsung actually want this to sell?

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry. My arms are too hairy for watches. Had a classy pocket watch before smartphones but yeah.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By spraynardtatum

Smartwatches seem so dumb.

It's a smartphone pager for people that can't reach their pocket.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sexy Casio F-91w says FUCK YOU

Puzzler20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is Samsung going to release a Galaxy Device that have Physical Game Controls on the Device.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So, I mean I would be into buying a colurful SufaceWatch sure. Like I'd rather buy like a $200 watch thing, than a boring Casio one. But we'll see. September is a long month, with much to announce.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corvak

I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a smartphone.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldenglishc

@fengshuigod said:

My sexy Casio F-91w says FUCK YOU

No one is ever going to take you seriously until you upgrade to the A-158. You're an adult now, spend the extra three bucks.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watches are for poppin' peepers, impressing chicks and businessmen, and occasionally checking the time.

An authentic watch, it's a fine art piece of mechanical complexity. Whoever is having a collection, it's not a pretentious person but very passionate about horology. If they show up with their collection, that's another story.

Many people don't deserve those very expensive smartphones, when they use it only for Facebook, IM and other insignificant stuff that they can do it on any other less expensive phone. A 600 euro smartphone is fine for a businessman who makes a use of those many applications. I see so many taking out their smartphone just to see the watch, when they have a big freakin' watch in their face on a wall or hanging around of something. People show off with a smartphone, because that's in the trend nowadays - technology - not a classic Audemars Piguet.

~ I wouldn't buy that kind of watch, they are alright for teenagers or technofreaks. I would find that as an insult to the horology art. It's like having a digital guitar, that loses its all sense of complexity and aesthetics.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i have a 200 dollars watch nothing fancy is just a god damn awesome looking sleek ass watch

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cameron

It doesn't even look good. I don't understand how they couldn't even get that right. Even if you could get past that, it's $300, it only works with an extremely limited number of Samsung devices, it has to be charged every day, and by all accounts it doesn't even perform very well. Ugh. I hope they have at least figured out how to make the AMOLED easily visible in direct sunlight.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By veektarius

This only serves one purpose: it gives you an ability to check why your phone is buzzing without pulling out your phone. Is that worth $300? No. Is it worth $100? Definitely not to me. I'd pay 20 dollars for it.

Edit: Now what would be really cool would be if they sold a watch (a real watch) with the dimming glass from a Boeing 787, but then made it smartglass, so that the screen over the face of the watch woudl darken and then display the message on that. That would be worth $100 on top of the value of the watch itself.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

What's a watch? Is it jewelry?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't actually wore a watch in along time. Since I have my cell I never felt the need too. Though if I did I wouldn't be able to pull off that smooth swagger. That smooth flavor where you can look cool and get the women's attention. I haven't developed those type of skills yet, it would be fascinating though.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll stick with my 15 buck digital Casio to tell time and use a device with a screen larger than a pair of postage stamps for everything else.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By colourful_hippie

lol at anyone who gets in on this at the first generation. That price is ridiculous and judging from the specs of Samsung's watch they are clearly throwing a whole lot of crap at the wall to see what sticks because they have no idea either on what is essential in a "smartwatch"

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jimmy_p

If youre gonna buy a watch in this day and age, atleast buy a mechanical one. It looks classy

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By colourful_hippie

@seppli said:

I wear a 1.1k watch every day, since 16 years. Not one defect. Still going true. Worth every last penny.

Eff that shit. There have only been a handful of moments where I felt like it would be good to go out wearing my Rolex, most of the time I'm more concerned with drawing the wrong kind of attention and end up having my watch taken away so I just leave it sitting in a safe deposit box for most of the time. Then again I've never really been a watch kind of guy, I think I'll let it sit there for a while and just sell it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, they made a product out of a function of my phone ? That's pretty interesting, kinda cool actually.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Syed117

@colourful_hippie: That's what insurance is for. All my expensive watches are insured. What's the point in having something that you don't use. Just so you can tell people that you have a Rolex? Would you buy a car and keep it in the garage?

They are very well made watches, but the name Rolex doesn't exactly get you anywhere in the horological world.

I wouldn't buy a smart watch. Mechanical or nothing for me. Very few other products can last a lifetime if taken care of. My current daily wear is an Omega from 1971. Still runs like new.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jgf

At first they built phones that can be used as a clock. And now they are building clocks that can be used as a phone. I am confused. Best part: You are supposed to use both at the same time.

Bonus part: Using them at the same time reduces battery life of both.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By colourful_hippie
@syed117 said:

@colourful_hippie: That's what insurance is for. All my expensive watches are insured. What's the point in having something that you don't use. Just so you can tell people that you have a Rolex? Would you buy a car and keep it in the garage?

They are very well made watches, but the name Rolex doesn't exactly get you anywhere in the horological world.

That wouldn't be worth it for the situations that I probably would feel comfortable wearing them in. It's just a personal thing I guess, I would feel uncomfortable wearing it in everyday situations and no I didn't buy it, it was given to me by my parents when I left for college and I don't tell everyone I know that I have one when it's sitting in a bank.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Maybe. Will it tell me the time in beats?

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. Will it tell me the time in beats?

Only the ones branded with Beats Audio

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TyCobb

I would break that in the first week. I have been wearing watches for 20 years and I still slam it up against stuff. Fucking door knobs.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By planetfunksquad

@blu3v3nom07 said: it does everything you would want a phone to do.

Except you need a phone to use it. So what it does is show you what your phone is doing, without having to reach into your pocket.

300 dollars.

So you dont have to reach into your pocket.

$300.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

NAHHHHHHHHHH don't think so. This is slightly behind Google Glass in the "stuff that will make people want to punch you" category.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS - Crazy guy at Samsung.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it's so ugly.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers