• 79 results
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

And why hasn't giantbomb jumped on board the 3-5 minute daily news segments? I mean it's cool that I can get a big daily dose of gaming news but I could always use more. After watching 3 or 4 takes on a single piece of video game news I always end up on the giantbomb forums because I just can't get enough. It would be so great if we could get Alex or Patrick to do give me a nice rundown of the day's events and call it "daily blast" or something like that.

Rorie? I don't like reading and I want to know if you can help me.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I can't comment on the activities of our competitors (or friends), but I guess what I find most frustrating about the last few years is the trend away from written strategy guides and hints/tips stuff to a YouTube model. I don't need to watch your three-minute long video explaining how to type a code into a keypad; just tell me the code and let me do it myself goddammit.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Zevvion

Because, and I think they said so before, they don't like compiling video's and editing them regularly to look like well produced video's. They just like to capture what they are doing and putting it out there.

Those short video's do probably take a lot of time to edit and produce and as you can see there is a whole bunch of them to choose from. The crew probably feels it doesn't make a lot of sense to copy that stuff and put theirs in the huge pool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those require production work and a pretty lady. We have Google Hangouts and the Wolf.

@rorie: The youtube 'strategy guide' model is great for showing you where a thing is, or the path to get to it. It is terrible for just about any other kind of information. I hate reading text walkthroughs where it says "head to the left and pass the obelisk on the way to town" and then I turn left in the game, walk for a bit, never see an obelisk or a town, and then get upset.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it was IGN who started this. I'd still prefer to read a well put together story than watch any of that shit.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

And why hasn't giantbomb jumped on board the 3-5 minute daily news segments?

They don't have a sexy lady host available. Although...

I KEEEED

Wait, Rooster Teeth have a news show? I always just thought of 'em as those Red v Blue guys. Huh.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By GERALTITUDE

oh phewph. thank the lord.

I thought your post was going to be about the trend of exploiting young attractive women and how it's weird that all of the lady games people are put in front of a camera in tight clothing while the men do the podcasts. SO MANY FEMINISM THREADS TODAY WHAT IS REAL?

To answer your question...

IGN, I think. Or G4?? I dunno. There have been daily shows for a little while now. In my memory Chobot is the first daily news person, really have no clue though.

Edit: Oh my god Daily Blast is such a good name I can't even... process it..

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: It would be pretty cool if Alex or Patrick started doing quick little segments of news. I've been watching the Roosterteeth one for a while and it's a pretty good news bit.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@rorie said:

I can't comment on the activities of our competitors (or friends), but I guess what I find most frustrating about the last few years is the trend away from written strategy guides and hints/tips stuff to a YouTube model. I don't need to watch your three-minute long video explaining how to type a code into a keypad; just tell me the code and let me do it myself goddammit.

I've started to wonder if part of this is a google problem. It seems like whenever I search for a FAQ type thing related to video games, the first 30 results are youtube videos before finally getting to a wiki or something. They seem to think I'd much rather watch a video on their service than read something.

The worst is when the search result goes to a forum post and I'm like "perfect, someone just posted about it!" but then the post is simply an embedded youtube video! Blah!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By cloudymusic

Giant Bomb has, to me, always felt like it's about "interesting and/or entertaining content, with no fluff." These sorts of "hey, let's pad out 20 seconds of content into a 5-minute video, complete with sponsor messages" are pretty much the definition of fluff.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Because they aren't women? 3-5 minute news segments are pretty useless.

@brodehouse: A well written text guide will always be more efficient than looking at a youtube video; one takes like 5 seconds and one takes 2-3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They don't have the man power to make 15 videos a day. Nor do I want them to. Giant Bomb videos are special. If the site just got over-saturated with 3 minute videos because they felt like they had to do it. Let's face it, all those videos IGN puts up are useless. All they do is ask vague questions or tell you something you can easily read in an article that might be a paragraph long. They only do them because they have a pair of breasts to show you and that gets people to click on it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

Is this sarcasm? If not, than Giantbomb shouldn't do such a thing because

a) it's already covered by site with a much bigger budget and more ressources.

b) it would need to be somewhat produced to compete and would take a lot of ressources away from actual original content. The stuff giantbomb does best

c) a daily news show about videogame news is often REALLY stretching the definition of news to pad out its run time. I'm not sure having to write a script about the usual kotaku garbage is the reason they hired a news guy like patrick

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@lukeweizer: Jess McDonell (Gamespot lady) is actually really funny (or at least i find her to be), and while her news/The Gist videos are generally superfluous, she adds enough of her own personality that I find they're still worth checking out all the same.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like that sort of production. I don't care to receive my news in little prepackaged bits, told by some random lady the site has hired in from a modelling agency, with a bunch of loud music and quick cuts and flashy graphics that irritate my eyes and ears.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

And why hasn't giantbomb jumped on board the 3-5 minute daily news segments? I mean it's cool that I can get a big daily dose of gaming news but I could always use more. After watching 3 or 4 takes on a single piece of video game news I always end up on the giantbomb forums because I just can't get enough. It would be so great if we could get Alex or Patrick to do give me a nice rundown of the day's events and call it "daily blast" or something like that.

Rorie? I don't like reading and I want to know if you can help me.

Judging from those thumbnails they should call it "Daily Bust" instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse:

Are you saying that @alex isn't a pretty lady?

While I cannot know Alex's heart, I am pretty sure he is not a lady.

Pretty, well that's really in the eye of the beholder. And clearly there's options...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Sooty

Those videos are so pandering. I just feel bad for the websites stooping to that level.

Desperately trying to claw views by plastering a girl with what I am guessing is professional studio lighting and make-up on the video splash.

Doesn't IGN have iJustine? That girl has the brain capacity of a car door.

And daily gaming news = "Blablabla said this bullshit on Twitter, click for more!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: A well written text guide will always be more efficient than looking at a youtube video; one takes like 5 seconds and one takes 2-3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes.

I'm just saying, the room for miscommunication is cut to nothing when I can actually look at the screen.

A text guide with screencaps/youtubes for complicated stuff; the best.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure I remember Gamespot doing this back in 05 or 06, though I never watched it. What I'm saying is you can thank Jeff and Rich for this trend.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let Gamespot do that, I LOVE GB because it's usually casual and decently long content. I'm not serious about games but I play them and more or less just follow the industry more than partake it in. I don't need daily new that's eventually wrong.

The particular lady in that picture is really annoying, tailoring to useless user fights, that sadly happen here for no constructive reason whatsoever. This is exactly what GB DOESN'T need!!!!!!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herbiebug said:

I don't like that sort of production. I don't care to receive my news in little prepackaged bits, told by some random lady the site has hired in from a modelling agency, with a bunch of loud music and quick cuts and flashy graphics that irritate my eyes and ears.

Just because they're attractive, host a quick-fire news show, and have some cleavage on display doesn't necessarily mean they also don't know their stuff.

Just saiyan
Just saiyan

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Speaking of written strategy guides, your Gamespot STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl walkthrough popped up in a Google search and really helped me out a few days ago. THANKS!

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

...but I guess what I find most frustrating about the last few years is the trend away from written strategy guides and hints/tips stuff to a YouTube model. I don't need to watch your three-minute long video explaining how to type a code into a keypad; just tell me the code and let me do it myself goddammit.

Man, seriously. I can read faster than they can explain things and they often prattle on about the most inane stuff before even showing what I'm looking for.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@lukeweizer: Jess McDonell (Gamespot lady) is actually really funny (or at least i find her to be), and while her news/The Gist videos are generally superfluous, she adds enough of her own personality that I find they're still worth checking out all the same.

I'm not familiar with her, but I certainly didn't meant to imply that breasts are the only these female hosts have to offer. I just get so sick of seeing the screen grabs for a video and the host's chest is being perfectly displayed at a curious angle at her cleavage. It just wreaks of desperation.

Kind of like how at the bottom of Twitch's homepage, in the "Most Popular Highlights" section, 80% of the most popular highlights (certainly #1) is the streamer with the biggest cleavage and points her webcam down at it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rorie said:

Oh, this annoys the shit out of me. I want to know how to solve a puzzle but instead I have to listen to some mouth breather telling me to "like" and "subscribe" six times before he gets to the part that tells what to do in the goddamn game.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corvak

@rorie said:

All of this. It drives me nuts when I look something up online, and all I get back is a string of youtube videos. For one, I can't watch them on my phone because it's still a lowly 3G (Thanks three year contracts, I hate you too) and it's usually just faster to show a lot of things with text or a picture.

30 seconds of inane intro animations, ten seconds of the author babbling about subscribing to their channel before even getting to the content. I don't really care about silly youtube monetization schemes, the comments fill me with despair, and eventually they're no better than popup advertisers. Best way to get me to subscribe, make content that fits the medium - i've read my share of confusing game guide instructions - there are cases where a video really is the best format.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, basically combine the style of the Gaming Minute with video of Brad in a tube top?

Seriously, though, I'm really glad Giant Bomb isn't cluttering up it's design with this content. I'll take my news in the form of Alex and Patrick's delightful wordsmithing, please.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonPixel

It's lame but maybe gamers demographic being mostly sex starved teens have something to do with it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

gamers demographic being mostly sex starved teens

Statistical proof? Or are we teetering on True Scotsman Territory?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DonPixel

@donpixel said:

don't get over sensitive dude, I said "mostly" not "everyone", check out any videogame/comic convention, that is the demographic that's reading sites like neogaf and giantbomb.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

@donpixel:

That's not statistical proof. That's anecdotal. Also, how many teenagers are on Giant Bomb? I just realized that.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that is giant bomb's style. I don't have a problem with them and think they are a cool idea for people who don't have time to catch up on the news of gaming. But you will also realize for good or bad the secret sauce to many of those daily news videos is to have an attractive female host for clicks. I think the I love mondays was/is giant bomb spin of that if you will. Now i think the scoops with Pat and Alex is the new daily news thing.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DonPixel

@donpixel:

That's not statistical proof. That's anecdotal. Also, how many teenagers are on Giant Bomb? I just realized that.

Okey no, most hard core gamers are successful lawyers driving Ferrari's on Malibu beach and intellectual females doing post-graduate studies in Harvard.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel:

According to this, 45% of game players are female, and almost 70% are over the age of 18. Maybe you could use general sales data to guess at gamers' levels of discretionary income, but that's beyond me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bigjeffrey

I want this beauty in front of the camera telling me my vida game news

No Caption Provided

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vuud

Those videos are mostly fluff. Premium content is the real meat & potatoes of Giantbomb. Gamespots move to that type of content is exactly why I moseyed on over here. And Vinny is already bald enough, they don't need to be stressing him out more by increasing his workload so much.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Ramone

I've got just to person to host as well

Why do I still have this on my computer?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Well I enjoy Jess' The Gist videos because if a site is going to clutter itself with random top 5 lists it might as well be done in video format by a dedicated lists editor and spoken to me in a hot Australian accent. Not to say Jess isn't a talented journalist or anything of that nature, but God knows I don't want to click through another one of IGN's top 100 lists which contain a single entry per page. I know lists get hits so good on GS for hiring someone whose sole job is making list videos. Again, not saying that is all Jess is good for or anything sexist like that, just on a structural level if a site is going to make daily lists I'd prefer there be an editor whose job it is to make said lists and hopefully display them in an interesting format. As for the daily news wrap ups, I have never watched one. I always read my news. I don't watch the news on TV, and on a website I'll always read an article over watching a video about the story. I assume in a three minute video or whatever I'm basically getting a bunch of headlines which I could read in 30 seconds, and am also forced to hear about news I could care less about mixed in with the news I actually want to hear. If GB wants to do news videos I really like the type of thing Patrick and Alex did with the Irrational news where they reported on it and then discussed their reactions to it. I come to this site for the personalities here and because I value the opinions of the editors. Sites like IGN have a ton of dedicated news editors who simply post articles all day long. I don't need another source of that.

To give a great example of the type of news I like here, after the big EVE Online battle the other day, every other site simply reported the news while Patrick actually spent the time to get in touch with various participants and offer a more insightful look into the events and the people behind them. I can get a sensationalist headline telling me about the hundreds of thousands of dollars lost in a game on any of a dozen different sites. Only Giantbomb, though, gave me insight into the actual complexities of the battle, its causes, and its repercussions. Let other sites give me news briefs. If Giantbomb reports on a story I want it to be Patrick or Alex's personal take on it as much as simply a report of the events.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think y'all are crazy I think video guides are infinitely way more useful than text ones. Seeing visually what is taking place conveys so much more information. I've actually been using YouTube quite a lot to double check the times I can do side quests in Lightning Returns.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zevvion

@video_game_king said:

@donpixel said:

I researched this a bit (by research I mean spent 5 minutes on Google, but research sounds like I know what I'm talking about) and this article seems to have at least some statistical results that the majority of PC gamers are actually female. Who knew that PC Elitist were just part of a girl-club? I kid.

Anyway, mostly female, but in the breakdown it appears most women play card games, while most guys seem to be playing shooters. Very limited information on that page, so not really evidence, but saying most core gamers are males, seems like it would have some merit.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@zevvion said:

Anyway, mostly female, but in the breakdown it appears most women play card games, while most guys seem to be playing shooters. Very limited information on that page, so not really evidence, but saying most core gamers are males, seems like it would have some merit.

Maybe, but without a solid operational definition, it's hard to draw any real conclusions. Then again, shooters are pretty damn casual, too. The only real difference is one has a grittier subject matter.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I guess it's also largely based on how you define 'core' and 'casual'. And then those terms are also subject to viewpoint. From an economic viewpoint core gamers are gamers who regularly buy games. Someone who buys 2 games a year and plays them for 40 hours every week isn't a core gamer from a financial viewpoint.

I think it's just a big mess to define all that stuff.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EuanDewar

@lukeweizer: To be fair to Gamespot Jess is not the only one on the site who has thumbnails like that. Everyone video series on Gamespot that involves someone talking to a camera has a thumbnail similar to that, whether its presented by a woman or by a man. I also dont think I'd call Jess' thumbnails in particular pandering, unless you really like necks.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@ramone said:

I've got just to person to host as well

I want this beauty in front of the camera telling me my vida game news

No Caption Provided

Right click, save image as hot1 and hot2.

On a serious note, these pictures and the thread that inspired them will never not make me giggle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: To be fair to Gamespot Jess is not the only one on the site who has thumbnails like that. Everyone video series on Gamespot that involves someone talking to a camera has a thumbnail similar to that, whether its presented by a woman or by a man.

Many series have produced thumbnails (as opposed to screengrabs), but you gotta admit the probability of a lady appearing in the thumbnail approaches one the more traditionally attractive she is. Geek & Sundry has managed to make me not like Felicia Day.

I think if it grinds anyone's gears, it's because you'll hear the editorials on these sites give out about the pandering in this game or that game, and arguably they're doing the exact same thing. People don't like hypocrisy.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Yeah im not saying that doesn't happen, just that Gamespot are not really the company I would be giving shit in this situation.