• 76 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (720 posts) -

Mine has to be Vaas from Far Cry 3. I keep thinking of past villains from last-gen and he really sticks out as a crazy and memorable villain. A close 2nd would probably be Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. Who is your favorite villain from last-gen?

#2 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

David - "The Last of Us"

#3 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
Mr.Scratch

#4 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (720 posts) -

Mr.Scratch

Man. How did I forget him? That guy was fantastic!

#5 Edited by crithon (3111 posts) -

call me a fanboy, Joker in Arkham Asylum and City.... because that's Mark Hamill's retirement as the character, so it's special.

#6 Edited by RawknRo11a (562 posts) -

As the OP posted, Vaas from Far Cry 3 was something special. Also, how about Sovereign from Mass Effect. That voice was super freaky.

And just for funsies, Forrest Kayson from Deadly Premonition!

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The main character from Spec Ops: The Line?

#8 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3174 posts) -

Jaguar Javier, from Guacamelee.

Who else...

Hmmmmm

It's been years since I loved a villain. I really can't think of very many honestly.

#9 Posted by Lyisa (340 posts) -

Illusive Man.

I thought Captain Scarlet in the Borderlands 2 dlc was pretty funny, though not terribly high on villainy portrayed in the game.

#10 Posted by SMTDante89 (2558 posts) -

Could be that I just recently played through Origins, but I liked Loghain Mac Tir.

#11 Edited by Veektarius (4741 posts) -

Saren was legit.

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Handsome Jack.

#13 Edited by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

The best antagonist of the last generation has to be the Green Cube in Geometry Wars.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

I'll be in the minority but Caius Ballad. I thought he was the best villian final fantasy ever had simply because he was written so well. His motivations were more selfish than entirely evil. He was someone you could sympathize while at the same time realizing you had to stop him.

I can't wait to see how Caius returns in Lightning Returns.

#15 Edited by ichthy (493 posts) -

Such an asshole.

#16 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Andrew Ryan

#17 Edited by Kidavenger (3526 posts) -
#18 Edited by joshwent (2156 posts) -

GlaDOS.

Few villains can carry a game all by themselves, but that is really all Portal is. And in Portal 2 her backstory revealing her sort of tragic beginnings was really touching, making her rejection of that touching stuff and reclaiming her focused villiany that much more satisfying.

#19 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Hmmm...

I really liked Jul 'Mdama from Halo 4, he is largely interesting because of his back-story but aside from just looking and sounding really cool, he is unique among similar characters among his race in the Halo Universe.

I also liked Sovereign in Mass Effect 1, and I know there are a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

#20 Posted by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

+1 for Mr. Scratch. And with regards to how satisfying and appropriate it felt to end their mad existence, pretty much all the psychos from dead rising 2.

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Anyone i can think of has already been named.

I'll go with Sovereign in Mass Effect because of that conversation on Virmire.

#22 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Man, this last gen had some Lame/ unmemorable villains. The ones that came to mind as good were Sarren from ME1, Kill Bane from SR3, Black Barron from Madworld, Glados from Portal... really not much else comes to mind.

#23 Posted by altairre (1172 posts) -

Sovereign together with Saren (they managed to put two of the best antagonists of last gen in one game) wold probably be my number one choice. The conversation with Sovereign was one of the most memorable moments of last gen as well. Mr Scratch was really good too and carried the game together with Alan's narration. I don't usually go for collectibles if I don't stumble over them but in American Nightmare I collected every page and looked at every TV just because I wanted to see the content that came with them. That's how you do collectibles instead of randomly placing coffee thermoses everywhere. Vaas had potential but it seemed like they didn't know what to do with him halfway through the game and just drove what they had built up into the wall.

#24 Posted by CornBREDX (5043 posts) -

There was a lot of great villains. I don't have time to list all my favorites.

Vaas is definitely top 5.

#25 Posted by Eladren (83 posts) -

One question, are we counting Portal as a "last gen" game?, being primarily a pc game i think it doesnt fit so well, but if we do, Glados, no contest.

If we don't then is not so clear cut, Vaas, Andrew Ryan, Sovereign, The Joker if only for the magnificent Mark Hamill performance, also the Owl-masked guy in hotline miami creeped me the fuck out every time.

#26 Edited by SlashDance (1810 posts) -

I like Vaas, but they do nothing at all with him and you see him like 3 times in the whole game. I feel like the actor is better than the character, if that makes sense.

I'd say it's a tie between Glados, Andrew Ryan and Liquid Ocelot for me.

#27 Posted by TheBluthCompany (375 posts) -

Glados

Sofia Lamb

Andrew Ryan

Illusive Man

Joker

That dude from Blood Dragon

#28 Edited by hippocrit (238 posts) -

The archers of Anor Londo

Or our Dark Lord Vinny

#29 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -

@eladren said:

One question, are we counting Portal as a "last gen" game?, being primarily a pc game i think it doesnt fit so well, but if we do, Glados, no contest.

If we don't then is not so clear cut, Vaas, Andrew Ryan, Sovereign, The Joker if only for the magnificent Mark Hamill performance, also the Owl-masked guy in hotline miami creeped me the fuck out every time.

I don't see why it wouldn't count. The Orange Box and Portal 2 came out on 360 and PS3 and Portal didn't really have any aspect that made it far superior on pc.

#30 Edited by fisk0 (3975 posts) -

Vaas is certainly up there. There were two main series C&C games during that gen, so Kane remains up there as well, as he has since 1995. Apart from them I can't really think of any. I mean, sure, GLADOS was great, but she was kinda retreating the SHODAN thing, and I still prefer SHODAN. I guess The Darkness in The Darkness was the antagonist there, and that game had some great writing and atmosphere.

#31 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1052 posts) -

#32 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5351 posts) -

@ichthy: That guy was fucking amazing, think he might take it. U R A D U M B T I T

Senator also quite impressive, college ball is probably the best villain line.

Nobody really compares to the old standbys of Delita, Guildenstern, Albedo, Margulis, and Lukav though.

#33 Edited by hollitz (1495 posts) -

The second solo in Green Grass and High Tides on expert.

#34 Edited by BisonHero (6391 posts) -

@hollitz said:

The second solo in Green Grass and High Tides on expert.

That stupid fucking Slayer song in Guitar Hero III on Expert.

Real answer: He's not quite the same caliber as some of the guys you have already said, but Fawful in Mario & Luigi: Boswer's Inside Story was actually pretty good. Especially in scenes where he played off of Bowser.

I'm playing Dream Team on the 3DS right now, and man, the villain is just so generic and not interesting or funny at all. Also, having Bowser be a main character in Bowser's Inside Story was actually kind of genius, because he isn't fucking mute like Mario and Luigi.

#35 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

I'll +1 GlaDOS, Saren/Sovereign, Andrew Ryan and Vaas.

#36 Edited by BisonHero (6391 posts) -

Oh fuck, I knew there was some game I was forgetting and I finally remembered.

Like, every character with a speaking role in No More Heroes is one of my favourite villains of the generation. Including Travis Touchdown. What a Metal-Gear-Solid-esque rogues gallery of fucking weirdos.

Seriously, just check out the second boss in the game, Dr. Peace:

Fuck everything in No More Heroes 2, though. That game was garbage. The only good characters were the ones they brought back from the first game, and even then most of them were mishandled. The story takes itself way too seriously and isn't funny, the last boss is incredibly lame, and the ending is terrible. I have a hard time believing Suda 51 was directly involved in its production because it is so clearly inferior to the first game. He was probably busy making Shadows of the Damned or something. The combat was marginally improved, I guess.

#37 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1548 posts) -

All my picks have already been mentioned, but I'll share them anyway:

The Illusive Man

Vaas

Glados

Andrew Ryan

#38 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5362 posts) -

Wheatly

#39 Edited by postnothing (65 posts) -

Most likely Andrew Ryan, followed by Comstock. It's been three years since I played ME2, but wasn't Harbinger decent as well?

#40 Posted by hermes (1394 posts) -

On the villains side, Sovereign (the real villain of ME1). He was just so alien, mysterious and inscrutable, yet so cold and relentless it gave me the chills.

#41 Edited by ThunderSlash (1630 posts) -

All the ones I would've said were already mentioned, so I'll go with Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Yep... Probably one of the most memorable villains for me this gen. Errr... last gen.

Hazama from BlazBlue was alright too.

#42 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4355 posts) -

Jetstream Sam was pretty fucking awesome. He's cocky and shit, but he's not really an asshole. Yeah, he's a bad guy, but I never could bring myself to hate him. In fact, he's probably one of the most likable characters in the game. Not that the game had that many characters to begin with, but you get my point. Also, the reveal after his defeat just solidifies him as the baddest mofo in that games.

I was tempted to add the 360 Kinect and David Cage to this list, jokingly of course, but decided against it because I'm too tired to think of anything funny to say.

#43 Posted by GunstarRed (5093 posts) -

EA.

#44 Edited by LackingSaint (1782 posts) -

The correct answer is Andrew Ryan. It's not often you find a villain in a video-game who manages to be charming and relatable as well as intimidating and cruel, but that dude pulls it off with ease. It also helps that he has one of the most memorable speeches in the history of the medium, and some fantastic voice acting. Stark contrast to Comstock, who manages to be one-dimensionally evil but also completely unthreatening in any real sense. Gotta wonder why Irrational dropped the ball so hard on their antagonist this time around.

Also, people should keep in mind that referring to the main character of a game in reference to this question only relates to the "villain" part. They're still the protagonist even if they aren't good people.

#45 Edited by Nightriff (4971 posts) -

Vaas, Soverign and Wheatley.

Wheatley probably being the most memorable.

#46 Edited by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

As some other people said earlier Sovereign. No villain or character in a video game has given me chills like I got during this conversation. Sovereign just comes off as so alien, uncaring, and superior that it sets up the reapers to be these horrifying lovecraftian monsters. Of course, the Reapers ended up being ruined by the subsequent games, but Sovereign remained creepy and unsettling even after that. Maybe it is because Harbinger and the other Reapers spend so much time going after you directly and Sovereign only really makes a move against you once. He thinks of himself as so high above you that you're never really considered a threat to him at all just a threat to his pawns and you honestly feel like that's true because you only barely manage to defeat him in the end. It's a shame that none of the other Reapers could live up to him.

Also I second Andrew Ryan and GLADOS. They're much better villains than Sovereign, but I feel other people could write about them better than I could.

#47 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, deserves mentioning at least once on this thread.

#48 Edited by ozzdog12 (859 posts) -

In no particular order:

Vaas from Far Cry 3

The Joker from Arkham

GLaDOS from Portal

Sovereign from Mass Effect 2

Zoran Lazarevic from Uncharted 2

Andrew Ryan from Bioshock

The Government from RDR

and Shao Kahn obviously

#49 Posted by Turambar (6707 posts) -

@ichthy: That guy was fucking amazing, think he might take it. U R A D U M B T I T

Senator also quite impressive, college ball is probably the best villain line.

Nobody really compares to the old standbys of Delita, Guildenstern, Albedo, Margulis, and Lukav though.

FFT was out for the PSP. Still counts.

#50 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5351 posts) -

@turambar: Touche, the PSP is all generations. I have Vagrant Story on mine for example.