Who Wins the 2013 Northies Award?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Poll Who Wins the 2013 Northies Award? (197 votes)

Nolan North - Deadpool 12%
Nolan North - Injustice: Gods Among Us 1%
Nolan North - The Last of Us 45%
Nolan North - Saints Row IV 38%
Nolan North - Assassin's Creed IV 2%
Nolan North - Batman: Arkham Origins 4%

Unfortunately, Giant Bomb has cut my favorite award category. It's now up to the community to decide the coveted Northies for 2013!

• 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Tralse.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Doesn't he play himself in SR4? It's gotta be that, right?

Also, if we're lamenting cut GOTY categories, my heart weeps for Dave Snider's Eastern Bloc Game of the Year Brought To You By Dave Snider.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Troy Baker wins the northies

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You mean the Troyies?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Also, if we're lamenting cut GOTY categories, my heart weeps for Dave Snider's Eastern Bloc Game of the Year Brought To You By Dave Snider.

Well, he doesn't really play "himself," but the character creator features a joke "Nolan North" voice option in which Nolan North voices the boss as himself.

Oh god, I think I just confused myself.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nolan North is soooo 2009 It's all about Keith David.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Sergio

@hailinel said:

@ajamafalous said:

Well, he doesn't really play "himself," but the character creator features a joke "Nolan North" voice option in which Nolan North voices the boss as himself.

You've convinced me. Saints Row IV wins!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ajamafalous said:

Yeah, that's what I thought/meant.

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm picking "Nolan North" instead of "Male Voice 2," then I'm playing as Nolan North as himself.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

During the credits for The Last of Us, I was thinking "Kind of strange that Nolan North wouldn't be in this game. Wait, are you fucking serious?"

He was fantastic in that game, and unfortunately the Nolan North voice didn't live up to expectations. There's no way it could've.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Man, all this thread led me to do was get kinda bummed about this year's GOTY stuff after digging through past years'. Where are all the great joke categories like Second Annual Soulja Boy Award for Games To Play If You Drink And Get Drunk or Smoke And Get High, Best Big-Ass Ramp, The Brad Shoemaker "I'm Callin' It" Award For Best Use of Zombies, and (of course) Dave Snider's Eastern Bloc Game of the Year Brought To You By Dave Snider?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Troy Baker.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By audiosnow

I'm excited for the Bakies next year.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white said:

You mean the Troyies?

Would definitely be the case this year. I feel like he was in every game on the top 10.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#14 ZombiePie  Staff

@hailinel said:

@ajamafalous said:

But he does play himself in Deadpool:

Loading Video...

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I hate the character of Deadpool I have to hand it to Nolan for how well he pulled the character off.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@mlarrabee said:

I'm excited for the Bakies next year.

No Caption Provided

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Mezmero

I was thinking of having awards for the past year and a half of Steve Blum's voice work and calling it 500 days of Blummer.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Troy Baker won the Northies this year, I'd have to say. Oh and I'd call it the "Bakeries" because I love terrible puns and I'm a bad person.

I thought David was a really good completely bad person (being probably the only character in The Last of Us who I couldn't sympathize with at all) and, uh, I played as Nolan North for Saints Row IV, sooo between the two... Saints Row IV because I was exposed to more Nolan North there?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I think they should've introduced the Bakers this year. I think Troy Baker wins the Baker this year for his performance in Bioshock. I mean yeah, his performance in TLOU was stellar, but in Bioshock he plays a guitar.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I think they should've introduced the Bakers this year. I think Troy Baker wins the Baker this year for his performance in Bioshock. I mean yeah, his performance in TLOU was stellar, but in Bioshock he plays a guitar.

Have you seen this? (Skip to the middle for the crazy Troy Baker part)

Loading Video...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By impartialgecko

The Last of Us. You don't know it's him yet he makes an incredible impression. Creepiest character of 2013 bar that lady from Brothers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

Probably The Last of Us. I had no idea it was him. What range!

Also somebody should make a top 13 list for Troy Baker and call it Baker's Dozen.

EDIT: NM, it looks like he was only in 12 games this year.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By TheMasterDS

@equitasinvictus:Uh, it's not about mocap. It's about they put Troy Baker in a booth with a guitar and had him play with Courtney Draper singing. I do not think there's any reason why that should be necessary but it's fucking awesome. It's also fucking awesome they put it in the credits. I felt that was really telling too about the way the game was made because it's a 5 minute clip of awesome music being played and then Ken Levine congratulates them and makes a few apt criticisms which inform the final scene as its shown in the game and make that scene feel right where the awesome music would not.

Loading Video...

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus:Uh, it's not about mocap. It's about they put Troy Baker in a booth with a guitar and had him play with Courtney Draper singing. I do not think there's any reason why that should be necessary but it's fucking awesome. It's also fucking awesome they put it in the credits. I felt that was really telling too about the way the game was made because it's a 5 minute clip of awesome music being played and then Ken Levine congratulates them and makes a few apt criticisms which inform the final scene as its shown in the game and make that scene feel right where the awesome music would not.

I didn't want to spoil it, but in the middle during the recorded "mocap" portion they all start singing their lines in a melodramatic fashion. I know the scene you mentioned from BioShock though and also appreciated it but I actually just wanted to share Troy Baker singing very melodramatically one what they tricked people going into a panel at PAX Prime was the "alternate ending" of TLoU was.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#26  Edited By sammo21

I found his work in Saints Row IV (Nolan North) to be incredibly boring and half assed...not his fault. All they did was have him do the exact same lines as another person. Had they went all meta, fourth wall with it then it could have been amazing.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row IV literally has a voice option titled Nolan North so how does that not win?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Dota 2

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably The Last of Us. I had no idea it was him. What range!

Also somebody should make a top 13 list for Troy Baker and call it Baker's Dozen.

EDIT: NM, it looks like he was only in 12 games this year.

He did multiple characters in some games though! List characters rather than games and youve got your Baker's Dozen.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

He's only in ACIV peripherally but his bits are way better than they were in most of the other AC games.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By turboman

Saints Row IV literally has a voice option titled Nolan North so how does that not win?

When he gave a really great performance as David in The Last of Us and nobody knew it was him when they were playing it?

Loading Video...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad said it best when talking about Nolan North vs. Troy Baker (via tumblr)

"I really thought Troy Baker had out-Nolan-Northed Nolan North in that game [the last of us], until I saw North’s name in the credits. Realizing he had played that guy pretty much left my mouth hanging open. Had no idea at all.'

Troy Baker has good range, but nothing compared to what Nolan North has done. His voice work as David proves this. He made that character the monster that he was.

'Run little rabbit'

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jedted

Nolan North was really good as David(Last of Us). I actually recognized his voice before i knew it was him.

I think Troy Baker deserves his own award category though as he had a bigger resurgence in 2013. I like the name "Bakey", sounds like a award for best stoner but it's catchy.