Who's your favorite new game character of this generation?

• 118 results
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Red

Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, Tali, Nathan Drake, Andrew Ryan, Thane, Sully, Morrigan, Alistair, Oghren, GLaDOS, Cave Johnson, and Wheatley are all some fantastic characters. It's pretty damn hard to pick one; comparing Garrus and Wheatley is impossible.

As for the people questioning the love of Garrus; he's just a cool character. Sure, he isn't outstandingly original, but that's what kind of makes him awesome: he's a really good soldier, and, throughout the series, I can honestly say he became a really good friend. He's exceptionally well-written, designed, and acted. If I were to go on some mission where the world hangs in the balance, he'd be the first person I'd call to have my back, and I'm positive he would have it.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

My friends and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I went with GLaDOS and Wrex. Garrus, Cave Johnson, and Andrew Ryan were high on my list as well.

supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By supermariobrah

I am definitely in the John Marston camp.  Not only was his story arc interesting, but he is one of the few characters that I have ever really cared for in a game.  The conclusion to his story had so much impact, and to be honest I didn't expect to feel so much emotion once RDR had reached its end.  Was he an errand boy?  Sure.  Was he a traitor?  In a way.  Was he a good man underneath heaps of murder and betrayal?  Somehow, yes.  I guess that there is just something special about a man sent to kill his friends for the betterment of his family.  It is a raw and honest reaction to what he was faced with.  In the end his qualities surpassed that of a common video game character and managed to feel human.  

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By NTM

@Nottle: No, I didn't say you can't pick a new character from an older franchise, just not a character we've known from past generations. For instance, you can choose Sheva Alomar, but not Jill Valentine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Breadfan said:

Garrus

First post nails it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nottle

@NTM: Ok, I get what you mean, but read the post again.

@Nottle said:

@NTM said:

@jkuc316 said:

So just to be clear this has to be a new franchise right? Not a new game for an old franchise?

Right. For example, you can't pick Kratos or Solid Snake or whoever else comes to mind.

That doesn't seem right. Like if I were to pick Drebin for some reason that wouldn't be ok? And by that logic John Marston is out because of Red Dead Revolver.

Anyways my actual answer... darn I guess people from Persona 4 and Mother 3 don't count. I really have a soft spot for John Marston and Niko Bellic. GLados and Wheatley are great. And of course Mordin, he has a very humorous side and also he is responsible for the most interesting conflict in the Mass Effect games.

I like Garrus fine, but why is he such a favorite?

He says does it have to be from a new franchise and you say yes. That is a bit misleading. But I guess that doesn't really matter.

Avatar image for piqued_interest
Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Piqued_Interest

Travis Touchdown. I mean Touchdown is in his name.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NTM

@Nottle: Yeah, I was assuming he was asking "So this can't be a character from a game this generation, that was also from a series of past generations?" I hate you for pointing that out (not really), but thanks.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By jakkblades

Morden Solus. Or Ezio--he isn't the deepest character, but through three games I've become very fond of him.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Sackmanjones

Shepard 
Garrus 
Mordin 
Wrex 
Legion  
Illusive Man
Hell I will just say most of the Mass Effect characters excluding Jacob and probably Kaiden. 

Also people who come to mind 
John Marston 
Nathan Drake 
Sully 
Elena Fisher 
Etzio isn't bad 

Almost forgot Mr. Andrew Ryan, great villian 

Could you imagine a game with the Illusive Man and Andrew Ryan working together 
Jesus Christ

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By TobbRobb

I kinda want to jump on the Bayonetta train because it's the greatest game of all time. But I don't really think she is my favorite character.

I'm inclined to agree on John Marston, but Nier and pretty much all his "friends" also feel like a good pick. I really fucking love Weiss.

No scrap all that. The Great Wolf Sif is the best character, I still feel really bad for killing him.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FunExplosions

Mr. Fart Poops

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I'm gonna make the easy choice and say Drake

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Packie

I liked a lot of characters but off the top of my mind:

• Francis, Louis, Ellis and Coach from Left 4 Dead series.
  • Wheatly and Cave Johnson from Portal 2.
  • The entire TF2 cast.
  • Adam's companions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. David Sariff, Pritchard, and Faridah.
  • Mordin, Garrus and Zaeed from Mass Effect 2.
  • Faith from Mirror's Edge, well she doesn't have much of a personality but I like her design.

I also liked John Marston as a character but I hated how stupid he acted in the Mexico chapter.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By thebunnyhunter
  • Cole MacGrath from Infamous, he's the character that stuck with me the most
  • Wheatly and GLADOS
  • Francis York Morgan needs to be here
EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By EchoEcho

So many awesome new characters in this generation -- considering how long this generation has lasted, that's probably not surprising. Gonna go ahead and list some that haven't been mentioned, since I agree with quite a few that others have already listed, and I don't feel the need to just reiterate.

Sten and Varric from DA:O/2 (Edit of Great Import: also Shale) spring to mind immediately, as does Anders from Awakening (but not from DA2). Kaim Argonar from Lost Odyssey as well -- probably my favorite lead character in a JRPG ever. Not that I've played more than a dozen or so JRPGs, but still. Fallout: New Vegas had a host of interesting characters. I found Jorge from Halo: Reach quite likeable, even if he didn't get a whole lot of screen time overall. I guess to reemphasize a few others that have already been mentioned, but I don't think are mentioned enough: quite enjoy the Illusive Man in ME2/3, and I agree with the OP about Isaac Clarke. A lot of people seemed to dismiss him as being forgettable, but I actually found his "average guy in a fucked up situation" personality to be endearing.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WarlordPayne

I have to agree with most of the characters from Mass Effect, especially Shepard, being awesome but I think Tannis from Borderlands is my favorite. She's just so god damned crazy.

The Boss in Saints Row: The Third, especially female 1, and Kinzie were terrific, too.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EchoEcho

@Packie said:

I liked a lot of characters but off the top of my mind:

• Francis, Louis, Ellis and Coach from Left 4 Dead series.
  • Wheatly and Cave Johnson from Portal 2.
  • The entire TF2 cast.
  • Adam's companions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. David Sariff, Pritchard, and Faridah.
  • Mordin, Garrus and Zaeed from Mass Effect 2.
  • Faith from Mirror's Edge, well she doesn't have much of a personality but I like her design.

I also liked John Marston as a character but I hated how stupid he acted in the Mexico chapter.

You know what, thank you for pointing this out. I actually really enjoyed Zaeed from ME2, even though everyone else on the internet seems to shit on him. Should have mentioned him in my post, but I was actively avoiding thinking of Mass Effect party members since so many people had mentioned them already.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Probably almost the entire cast of ME2 (especially Garrus, Thane and Legion) and Wheatly. Some of the Dragon Age: Origins cast was pretty good too, like Sten.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Anund

@SSully said:

Victor Sullivan or Nathan Drake. They have great chemistry, and are just likable characters.

I agree with this. Varric was awesome too. He may have been part of a disappointing game, but he was an awesome character.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Oobir

Stocke from Radiant Historia definitely deserves mention, for being a JRPG protagonist who is likeable and competent. Also Paarthurnax, who has a really cool voice and no obvious ulterior motive for helping your character.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By moncole

Big Bo

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#73  Edited By Jeust

Kainé, from Nier.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sander Cohen

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ProfessorEss

Off the top of my head...

John Marston

Cave Johnson

"The Boss" (Saints Row The Third)

Nathan Drake

Mordin

and Roman Bellic.

There are so many more, there's really been a pretty solid offering of great characters this gen.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#76  Edited By Jazz

John Marston certainly

Mordin, Garrus, Legion, TIM

Alistair from DAO

Shun Akiriyama from Yakuza 4

Ragna the Bloodedge from Blazblue

I'm sure there are more. Nier's cast especially Kaine.

By far though it's John Marston. Best character for such a long time....I just wish we could have a Dark Tower series with such strong writing, but without the screwed up rockstar patented controls.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By zombie2011

Captain Price

Ghost, really not that great of a character but however designed him did a great job of making him look like the biggest badass.

John Marston

Everyone in Mass Effect 2 except Jack and Samara. Zaeed is probably my favorite.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By forkboy

John Marston, yeah, totally. But close behind would be Mordin, & just because I have a thing for insufferable dicks, Brucie Kibbutz from GTA IV. A total moron, but still...

Buzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Buzk
No Caption Provided

Sorry Sunbro

Heimdal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Heimdal

@Breadfan: Garrus is pretty legendary. He's as big a part of the Mass Effect series as Shepard.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#82  Edited By StarvingGamer
ScoreSetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#83  Edited By ScoreSetter

@GreggD said:

Barry Wheeler.

I laughed immediately when he came to mind.

A few others that sprang to my mind were 'Splosion Man, Rucks (Bastion), and Trip (Enslaved). And why not Claptrap? Sure, he was overused a little, but I still have a soft spot for the lil' guy.

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Ihmishylje

@myketuna said:

Liara T'Soni. She's got it all together. She's exceptionally smart, she doesn't have major problems like the other female love interests (daddy issues, cultural dilemmas, emotional baggage, etc.), she can live for about 1000 years, she's basically got super powers, and she's really fucking gorgeous (I moved the camera on one of the missions so I can see her face up close and that FACE). I feel like a game where you play as her doing some Shadow Broker commando shit would be cool.

I liked her in the first game but in the second one I was kinda meh on her, particularly because of how she was written and her fairly small role in the game. Also I was totally into Tali at that point, and had been lamenting that I couldn't bang her in the first game. I loved Lair of the Shadowbroker, even if it only somewhat reminded me of how great Liara was. By the third game she had "gotten her shit together" by dealing with all that Shadowbroker stuff that had been keeping her occupied mentally and physically and had emerged from all of that as a more mature character, yet she still reminded me of what a nice person she was.

I made the terrible decision of dangling both Tali and Liara along in the third game, assuming that it would lead to some kind of triangle conclusion (like in the first game) where I could decide to favor Liara. Instead at some point she jus stopped talking to me and decided it was over between us. I was heartbroken, and the sex with Tali later felt empty and pointless, especially in light of what was going to happen.

That moment with Liara on Earth, though. That joining thing... man. I almost cried. Reminded me of all we'd been through and what a lovely person she was. There was a great sense of closure there, to that relationship and the game series as a whole (the whole game was about closure, really, we just played through it, instead of having one cut scene or text roll in the end explaining things to us). I felt like she forgave my Shepard for going with Tali, and that even if we weren't lovers anymore in a physical sense, she had not forgotten what we had and somehow we remained something more than friends in the end.

And, yet, I'm not sure I'd call Liara my favourite character of this generation. There are simply too many to pick from.

And yes, I take my fiction a bit seriously sometimes.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By McGhee

@Buzk said:

No Caption Provided

Sorry Sunbro

Ah man, I love that guy. I felt really bad when I couldn't save him in time and he got killed. :(

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AlexanderSheen
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By CptChiken
@MooseyMcMan said:

Oh man, so many choices!

But there can be only one...

No Caption Provided
This is the only right answer.  

Well him or Mr Stewart.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#88  Edited By crusader8463

Fem Shep I guess. She is pretty bad ass.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SeanFoster

Nathan Drake, Ezio Auditore and Garrus Vakarian.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By wrighteous86

@Ihmishylje said:

@myketuna said:

Liara T'Soni. She's got it all together. She's exceptionally smart, she doesn't have major problems like the other female love interests (daddy issues, cultural dilemmas, emotional baggage, etc.), she can live for about 1000 years, she's basically got super powers, and she's really fucking gorgeous (I moved the camera on one of the missions so I can see her face up close and that FACE). I feel like a game where you play as her doing some Shadow Broker commando shit would be cool.

I liked her in the first game but in the second one I was kinda meh on her, particularly because of how she was written and her fairly small role in the game. Also I was totally into Tali at that point, and had been lamenting that I couldn't bang her in the first game. I loved Lair of the Shadowbroker, even if it only somewhat reminded me of how great Liara was. By the third game she had "gotten her shit together" by dealing with all that Shadowbroker stuff that had been keeping her occupied mentally and physically and had emerged from all of that as a more mature character, yet she still reminded me of what a nice person she was.

I made the terrible decision of dangling both Tali and Liara along in the third game, assuming that it would lead to some kind of triangle conclusion (like in the first game) where I could decide to favor Liara. Instead at some point she jus stopped talking to me and decided it was over between us. I was heartbroken, and the sex with Tali later felt empty and pointless, especially in light of what was going to happen.

That moment with Liara on Earth, though. That joining thing... man. I almost cried. Reminded me of all we'd been through and what a lovely person she was. There was a great sense of closure there, to that relationship and the game series as a whole (the whole game was about closure, really, we just played through it, instead of having one cut scene or text roll in the end explaining things to us). I felt like she forgave my Shepard for going with Tali, and that even if we weren't lovers anymore in a physical sense, she had not forgotten what we had and somehow we remained something more than friends in the end.

And, yet, I'm not sure I'd call Liara my favourite character of this generation. There are simply too many to pick from.

And yes, I take my fiction a bit seriously sometimes.

...There are no words.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@CptChiken said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Oh man, so many choices!

But there can be only one...

No Caption Provided
This is the only right answer. Well him or Mr Stewart.

Yeah, it's totally York. There are a lot of good characters in much better games, but York really shines. There are some reeeaally nice ones in Mass Effect 2, but they almost never interacted with each other, just Shepard. It was pretty jarring for me considering we were all on the same ship/party the entire time. The last game I madeit through was KoA: Reckoning, but I swear York has more personality than all of those characters put together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think they're both Mass Effect dudes. Liara and Garrus. Because the arc on those characters has been incredible. Characters in video games don't often have arcs. They're mostly exactly who they are for the entire series.

Spoilers for the Mass Effect series.

Liara when you meet her in Mass Effect 1 to the end of Mass Effect 3 is ... I'm borderline thinking it about female empowerment. She starts off needing to be rescued from a trap she foolishly stumbled into, cowering during the boss fight, and then fainting on the Normandy a half-dozen times like a Southern belle. She's shy, naive and infatuated with the main character for no good reason. She's a prototypical ingenue. What's worse; her actions are for herself in the game. She joins because her goals are similar to Shepard's, to study the Protheans further and to confront her mother. She helps Shepard to help herself. Compare to the second; in the two years between the games, she makes Mass Effect 2 even possible by recovering Shepard's body. And she does it for Shepard. Not because it helps her, she goes through hell to do it. She does to help Shepard, not to help herself. She's much more independent, opinionated, and in control of her own destiny independent of Shepard. Move on to the third game; compare how you meet her to the original. You once again see her under hostile attack, but this time it appears that she sets the trap. She crawls through vents with more agility than Cerberus, and turns the tables on them and kills them without remorse. She then informs you that with you being out of commission, she's continued working towards stopping the Reapers. Once again important; she's now not working to help herself or Shepard in particular, she's working for everyone. She isn't gushing over the Prothean archives like she would have in the original, they're a tool for her to stop the Reapers. There's some other great sequences, when she makes the time capsule in full knowledge that they will probably die and need to pass on gifts to the next victims of the cycle, when she tells Shepard that if the Crucible doesn't work, her lifespan means she will experience centuries and centuries of the Reapers harvesting civilization, but carrying on. That's a great arc for a character.

Garrus is excellent as well, but actually the opposite in terms of indepdence. Garrus gets that love from everyone because he takes on the role as Shepard's support. He starts off as independent and unsure of Shepard, still struggling with his own issues regarding C-Sec, Spectres, his father. He's struggling with the concept of duty, and who precisely deserves it... wanting to fire on the ship violates his duty as a C-Sec officer, allowing Saleon and his victims to flee violates his duty to those victims. He's standoffish towards Shepard, and conflicted about what he should do. But without a better alternative, he followed Shepard. In Mass Effect 2, he gave himself a duty as Archangel, along with his vigilante group. But for all his 'good deeds' he still felt like he ultimately failed; Omega was still Omega, and his team was dead. Once again, without a better alternative he follows Shepard, to a suicide mission no less. Skip to Mass Effect 3, and Garrus has been given a duty, one that he performs. But he chooses another, he chooses to go with Shepard. It's not a matter of no better alternative, he has an alternative but he chooses you. That's why people take such a shine to Garrus. He is there for him,for you. No matter what, he is ready to support you in whatever way you require. That last speech is the kind of brothers-in-arms camraderie shit that can't help but make someone mist up. Consider his arc throughout that series, from a plain and standoffish character to Shepard's most loyal man at arms. Great character.

Assassin's Creed spoilers after here.

Non-Mass Effect, I'll definitely add Ezio. They made a big mistake in having Ezio die in a comic book instead of at the end of Revelations. Do you remember the first time you see Ezio in AC2? He's a baby. You're there when he's born. You're there when he's a spoiled pussyhound teenager. You're there at the worst moment in his life. You're there when he first puts on the robes, with no idea of the decades of service to come. All the insanity that comes after, the triumphs and failures, all the love he loses and gains throughout his life. His transformation from a fierce hothead to wizened old master, it's something you don't get to do in games. They should've had him lay down to die at the end of Revelations. After all his service, after saving so many, after getting to know him over the last three years, he deserved to do it on-screen.

That worst moment of his life, his family... when it happened I recognized it as a setup for him to become an Assassin. I recognized the feathers 'in memory of Petruccio' to be a decent narrative cover for silly collectible gathering. It was in Brotherhood, when he still would pick up a feather... that's when that hit me. As a 45 year old man, still heartbroken about the death of his 14 year old brother decades before, but carrying on. Picking up that first feather twenty years later had so much more impact that picking up the hundredth feather originally. Petruccio was there, and then he was gone. Twenty years later, Petruccio was there, and he's still gone. Strangely powerful moment.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ShadowSkill11
No Caption Provided

Commander Shepard of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would say Shepard but thats like saying I'm awesome lol but I'd go with with my boy garrus n it's funny cause there not a lot of main characters that r special in that u can look at them n know where they r from like master chief, Mario or link heck even gordan Freeman with a wrench but that's just me

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By raviolisumo
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Jayzilla

John Marston. Was there a more powerful ending to a game this generation? I don't think so.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97  Edited By myke_tuna
@Wrighteous86: You're talking about his response, right? I thought my post didn't come off creepy...
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By wrighteous86

@myketuna: Yeah. You're relatively alright, haha.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Vorbis
Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By Morrow

That's tough, I like a lot of characters. I'll point you to my avatar though.