Whothewhatnow VS Capcom!! (rant warning)

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By SimonM7

Global market global market global market. Yeah I get it japan has to appeal to the global market now, they have to make gritty bloody tit-romps that us degenerates in the west like. It's either that or emulating Marcus Fenix in a Yours of War. I pretty much hate the whole concept of creating games with some kind of all-encompassing, none-offending mindset (okay a healthy amount of the latter is probably preferable) and I wish I could just make this whole exploding costs of development thing go away as a factor.

But with all that said,Tatsunoko VS Capcom is probably the most bafflingly un-appealing half of a game I've ever witnessed. If you reckon it looks awesome you're probably the kind of person that just think the general beingness and japaneseness of it is awesome, much rather than FINALLY GETTING TO PLAY AS THAT HUGE... BLOCKY ROBOT THING that you've wanted all your life.

Now I get it really, I do. The game is finished, it's a product, people wanna play it so they're bringing it over. Lord knows Wii people wanna play it because it is a game where you hurt your mates and it's the one without the Mario guys in it. Thing is though, looking at it I can't help but feel utterly robbed of that OTHER game that DOESN'T exist. You know the one where one half of the roster, the Tatsunoku half, is replaced with Dudesthatrocku. Particularly heartbreaking is that at one point they messed around with the idea of having Phoenix Wright in it.. How awesome would that be? Or "Rad" Spencer? Or guy X from game X that we actually recognize!

VS games are all about awesome matchups. I wonder if Megaman could beat Viewtiful Joe, I wonder if Frank West could beat Morrigan, I wonder if  Alex could beat 
Polimar.... No I don't! I don't even ever think about Polimar!

I watch a trailer and all I can see is the game I would rather have it be.

I know I'm whining here and deep down I totally know why this is coming out and why everything I say right now is nonsense, but yeah. Way to blast my "anti global thinking" to bits.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SimonM7

Global market global market global market. Yeah I get it japan has to appeal to the global market now, they have to make gritty bloody tit-romps that us degenerates in the west like. It's either that or emulating Marcus Fenix in a Yours of War. I pretty much hate the whole concept of creating games with some kind of all-encompassing, none-offending mindset (okay a healthy amount of the latter is probably preferable) and I wish I could just make this whole exploding costs of development thing go away as a factor.

But with all that said,Tatsunoko VS Capcom is probably the most bafflingly un-appealing half of a game I've ever witnessed. If you reckon it looks awesome you're probably the kind of person that just think the general beingness and japaneseness of it is awesome, much rather than FINALLY GETTING TO PLAY AS THAT HUGE... BLOCKY ROBOT THING that you've wanted all your life.

Now I get it really, I do. The game is finished, it's a product, people wanna play it so they're bringing it over. Lord knows Wii people wanna play it because it is a game where you hurt your mates and it's the one without the Mario guys in it. Thing is though, looking at it I can't help but feel utterly robbed of that OTHER game that DOESN'T exist. You know the one where one half of the roster, the Tatsunoku half, is replaced with Dudesthatrocku. Particularly heartbreaking is that at one point they messed around with the idea of having Phoenix Wright in it.. How awesome would that be? Or "Rad" Spencer? Or guy X from game X that we actually recognize!

VS games are all about awesome matchups. I wonder if Megaman could beat Viewtiful Joe, I wonder if Frank West could beat Morrigan, I wonder if  Alex could beat 
Polimar.... No I don't! I don't even ever think about Polimar!

I watch a trailer and all I can see is the game I would rather have it be.

I know I'm whining here and deep down I totally know why this is coming out and why everything I say right now is nonsense, but yeah. Way to blast my "anti global thinking" to bits.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

So you're complaining about a game entitled Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has a roster that is half-filled with characters from Tatsunoko anime productions?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Is Polimar one of Polywags evolutions or am I wrong?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, it's so stupid that they are bringing over an excellent fighting game that was made for Japan and had no plans to be brought to the states. Just a shame. I hope they bring fewer games from Japan to America

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Neon941
@Hailinel said:
"So you're complaining about a game entitled Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has a roster that is half-filled with characters from Tatsunoko anime productions? "

What he said, these characters are as popular as Marvel in Japan and a good handful of people over here like them. If you don't want to play as Tatsunoko characters then don't and if you think that means the game won't be worth it then don't buy it, play Street Fighter IV or Marvel vs Capcom 2. Also I kinda lost you halfway through, so I'm just guessing that's what you're upset about.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Normally I don't reply when the OP's view is so idiotic it does not warrant comment, but I made an exception here.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

I hate things that are mainstream elsewhere.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By bonbolapti

I DON'T UNDERSTAND!?! 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

It's neat whenever we get extreme Japanese games over here, but I agree I have no appeal towards most of the characters in the lineup.  I've played the Japanese version, and I don't even think it's a very good fighting game, it's incredibly mediocre overall.  To those people that actually know the characters it could be cool, but it definitely won't have widespread appeal.

It's funny that this post brought out the usual suspects though.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SimonM7

Sooo, how did I not already state that I get the reasoning and that I'm not opposed to the fact that it's coming over? How do you guys read my post and write comments that were already in my post? That seems... superfluous to me.

" Also I kinda lost you halfway through, so I'm just guessing that's what you're upset about. "

You and everybody else. :D

Now my REAL intention was to vent frustration that a game containing many great characters obviously is missing characters that you can kinda feel are just out of reach because it's a clearly japan-centric product where the other half of the roster obviously DOES appeal to the audience. Capcom have stated on many occasions that we'll never see another Marvel VS Capcom for obvious reasons, an SNK Vs Capcom doesn't seem to be on the cards, and even when you boil it down to Wii fighters there are a disappearingly small number of those. If there was another game around the corner that could use this setup, these graphics, this... kind of this window in the fighting game resurgence that plays into the party/awesomeness style of thee Wii platform and the VS games that more fully could encompass characters we in the west know and love, that would be amazing to me.

Quotes from my initial post that must've gone by unnoticed include "Now I get it really, I do. The game is finished, it's a product, people wanna play it so they're bringing it over." and "I know I'm whining here and deep down I totally know why this is coming out and why everything I say right now is nonsense"

I'm gonna buy this game and I'm gonna enjoy it thoroughly. I was just wrong to think that people could actually read a complete post and get what I was trying to communicate, so I guess I apologize.

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Neon941

You're ranting again and it's tough to decipher walls of text, but I'm gonna guess that what you want to say can be boiled down to "I like the look of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, next I would very much like a game with more Capcom characters in it." Am I on the right track?
SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SimonM7

Yeah, except there is no "next". All signs point to this being it, at least on the Wii. Sorry for the long posts, I'm used to elaborating, I'll try to keep it short.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

@SimonM7 said:

" Sooo, how did I not already state that I get the reasoning and that I'm not opposed to the fact that it's coming over? How do you guys read my post and write comments that were already in my post? That seems... superfluous to me.  " Also I kinda lost you halfway through, so I'm just guessing that's what you're upset about. "  You and everybody else. :D  Now my REAL intention was to vent frustration that a game containing many great characters obviously is missing characters that you can kinda feel are just out of reach because it's a clearly japan-centric product where the other half of the roster obviously DOES appeal to the audience. Capcom have stated on many occasions that we'll never see another Marvel VS Capcom for obvious reasons, an SNK Vs Capcom doesn't seem to be on the cards, and even when you boil it down to Wii fighters there are a disappearingly small number of those. If there was another game around the corner that could use this setup, these graphics, this... kind of this window in the fighting game resurgence that plays into the party/awesomeness style of thee Wii platform and the VS games that more fully could encompass characters we in the west know and love, that would be amazing to me.     Quotes from my initial post that must've gone by unnoticed include "Now I get it really, I do. The game is finished, it's a product, people wanna play it so they're bringing it over." and "I know I'm whining here and deep down I totally know why this is coming out and why everything I say right now is nonsense"I'm gonna buy this game and I'm gonna enjoy it thoroughly. I was just wrong to think that people could actually read a complete post and get what I was trying to communicate, so I guess I apologize. "

Venting anger because it's "Japanese centric" and shows in the roster : /...  The games called Tatsunoko (- the famous Japanese Anime house) for a good reason.  

This game was asked for repeatedly by the Capcom-community. The characters you seem to dislike, having never even touched the game I should add, are in fact more fun to control than the conventional SF characters. They are much loved by some older people/gamers, even in the US where a few shows aired in the 80s and 90s. 

There have been ample changes to the roster to balance the overall appeal for the Western market, additions like Frank West are proof of this. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
@SimonM7 said:
" Yeah, except there is no "next". All signs point to this being it, at least on the Wii. Sorry for the long posts, I'm used to elaborating, I'll try to keep it short. "
Look, the game was not made for us. It was made for Japan, and we are lucky to be getting it in the first place. Take heart that the Capcom website now has a poll going on asking what sort of versus game they'd like to see next. There will be more Capcom vs games, the question is what they will be versing. Until then though, maybe you should learn a bit about some of the Tatsunoko characters. You don't even have to be Japanese to recognize some of them.
SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SimonM7

Well yeah, that's kindof what I'm doing. Though I should stress in 99.9% of cases I'm all for japaneseness, which I also emphasised in my post. However, I also realise in retrospect that it was a blunt post, and the truth is I didn't really know I stuck it on a forum. I probably would step more lightly if I knew it wasn't a personal blog rant. :)

But yes, you're absolutely right that I haven't played it, and it's not that I dislike the characters - It's just that they're completely irrecognizable. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and write some more, I hope I can hold your interest for a little longer:

My disappointment is really about the situation as follows: The Wii doesn't get many fighters, and there aren't many VS fighters period. This is a four button, spectacular, visually striking game that suits the Wii "mood" perfectly. The fact that this probably is the ONE game the Wii will get in this style and probably the only VS game in yonks, I do feel sad that Phoenix Wright only "almost made it", and that others like him could've been there in the same package if there were more Capcomites.

There. I really, really didn't want to offend anyone and the slightly inflamatory nature of the original post was in retrospect stupid and certainly not something I intentionally wanted to stick in anyone's face.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

They've expressed interest in doing a "next" one actually, and did state that any potential sequels would "probably" be on Wii than other systems. You pretend to have done such research over a game you apparently don't care about or want, but ignore prominent interviews about it? Lacing your peculiar discontent over this game with blatant lies isn't doing your image any favors.

Phaethon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Phaethon

This almost seems like it was meant for a private blog and not a forum post. I recognize a few of the Tatsunoko characters but even if I didn't I think I could learn to pay more attention to gameplay mechanics than cosmetic details. More or less though I was very happy to hear there were plans to bring this to the West. I had contemplated importing but the prospect of doing anything to my Wii besides playing it didn't mull over well with me. I hope more players will see the value of games as games so that we get the opportunity to see more titles like this reach other regions.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Tatsunoko should really remaster those early shows and put them out across the US again, there's no better time with the popularity of Anime in the US now. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
@SimonM7 said:
" Well yeah, that's kindof what I'm doing. I also realise in retrospect that it was a blunt post, and the truth is I didn't really know I stuck it on a forum. I probably would step more lightly if I knew it wasn't a personal blog rant. :) But yes, you're absolutely right that I haven't played it, and it's not that I dislike the characters - It's just that they're completely irrecognizable. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and write some more, I hope I can hold your interest for a little longer:  My disappointment is really about the situation as follows: The Wii doesn't get many fighters, and there aren't many VS fighters period. This is a four button, spectacular, visually striking game that suits the Wii "mood" perfectly. The fact that this probably is the ONE game the Wii will get in this style and probably the only VS game in yonks, I do feel sad that Phoenix Wright only "almost made it", and that others like him could've been there in the same package if there were more Capcomites.  There. I really, really didn't want to offend anyone and the slightly inflamatory nature of the original post was in retrospect stupid and certainly not something I intentionally wanted to stick in anyone's face. "
Like I said, there is a distinct possibility that the Wii will get another game in the versus bunch. It all depends on what Capcom gets out of this poll on their website. Maybe you should go on their and express an idea. I certainly wouldn't mind a capcom-centric Super Smash Brothers (though becoming part of the actual smash brothers franchise would be even better)
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Wii has actually got more fighters available on it than any other current platform.  

edit:

PW would not be a good fit into this game. I don't want to see PW in the game despite being a fan. A lawyer defeating his role by resorting to fighting?. The creator of PW would turn in her sleep if she saw PW in a fighter.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SimonM7
@Al3xand3r: I know what they've been saying but it is all dependant on sales. Maybe they realise that it's a fighter - tough enough sell on its own - and on the Wii, and have set expectations accordingly though.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgentJ
@Linkyshinks said:
" The Wii has actually got more fighters available on it than any other current platform. "
*goes to look* hrm, that might actually be true. Most of them are based on anime properties, but there does seem to be quite a few on the platform.  
On an unrelated note, Gamespot seems to have rated a few of them much harsher than i'd say they deserve.  

The difference is that the wii doesn't have Blazblue, Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Dead or Alive, or Soul Calibur 4
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond
@Linkyshinks said:
" The Wii has actually got more fighters available on it than any other current platform. "
PS3 and 360 have more fighting games than Wii...
SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SimonM7

I don't think Phoenix Wright would actually need to resort to fighting moves, I mean look at some of the Darkstalkers attacks like the forks hopping out of the basket and stuff. Even if they do give him technically "traditional" strikes, I think you could get away with different poses and gestures.

It kinda makes me wanna whip out MUGEN and give it a shot. :D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Diamond said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

PS3 and 360 have more fighting games than Wii... "

1. Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 
  2. GG Core 
  3. GG Core Plus 
  4. Super Smash Bros 
  5. Sam Sho 1 
  6. Sam Sho 2  
  7. Art of Fighting 
  8. Art of Fighting 2 
  9. Fatal Fury 
  10. Fatal Fury 2 
  11. KoF '94 
  12. World Heroes 
  13. Samurai Shodown Collection
  14. Street Fighter 2: WW
  15. Street Fighter 2: CE
  16. Super Street Fighter 2:TNC
  17. Super Street Fighter Turbo:HF
  18. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 
  19. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
  20. TMNT Smash
  21. KoF: Orochi Saga
  22. Virtua Fighter 2
  23. Cho Aniki

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By c1337us
@AgentJ said:
" Yeah, it's so stupid that they are bringing over an excellent fighting game that was made for Japan and had no plans to be brought to the states. Just a shame. I hope they bring fewer games from Japan to America "
Right on and that applies to the rest of the world too. Screw those great games from Japan.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust
Gatchaman or Battle of the Planets as I knew it when it first aired stateside was my favorite TV show when I was a kid.  I think there is an audience for a game like Capcom vs Tatsunoko outside of Japan if only for the nostalgia factor the characters have for some of us.

If you have a problem with the idea of the game, you can ask that they make a Capcom vs. *Insert Franchises Here* online.   There is a contest or something by them going on.
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By dudacles

I honestly have no idea what the original post is getting at here. Let me get this straight. You, TC, are complaining that in a Japanese game that is being brought to the west, there are characters from Tatsunoko, rather than dudes like Viewtiful Joe and Mega Man. That's what I deducted from your post, but I can't wrap my mind behind the reasoning of that complaint. I mean, that's like saying: "I'm playing a Tomb Raider game, why is Lara Croft the main character and not Kratos???" What the hell?

Disclaimer: I did not read the rest of the topic, I admit. If the TC's views have been clarified by himself, or others have already made this point, then I apologise.