Why a Whiskey Media food/drink site would be awesome

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTA_Luciana
  • The database would be unparalleled. Just think of the possibilities. You could have pages for individual ingredients, techniques (e.g. baking, frying, steaming), cuisines (Italian, Japanese, Indian, etc.), and dishes. These pages can be linked much in the same way they are in other WM sites, for example: the Fried Chicken dish would be linked to the Chicken, Flour, and Egg Ingredient pages, the Deep Fry Technique page, and the Soul Food Cuisine page. Related dishes would include Chicken Tenders, Popcorn Chicken, Chicken Cutlets, etc. Users could also link suggested side dishes, which in this case would perhaps include Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Collard Greens, etc.
  • User-created recipes and cookbooks. You can co-opt the blog system for the purpose of Recipes, which can be linked to their respective Ingredients, Techniques, and Cuisines. Being blogs, people can post comments, so if a recipe is shit, you can take it up directly with the person who wrote it. You can also co-opt the guide system for larger user-created cookbooks. Not only would that benefit people looking for recipies, but the people making the cookbooks as well. How awesome would it be to gather all of your family's traditional recipes, and record them in an organized, easily accessible manner?
  • Their videos and segments on the WM Happy Hour would be awesome. A Whiskey Media cooking show? Sign me up, please.
  • It would provide a venue for Tested's coffee and food tangents. A food site would allow Will and Norm to keep Tested about tech while still pursuing their quest for a damn fine cup of coffee.
So there's my case for a WM food site. All that's left is for Snide to get codin'. Come on, Snide. Do it. Do it. No? Oh well.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

Sure, as long as they nail the editors. I feel Will Smith would be great but I guess he is busy.

I guess there would be a podcast, too, huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And the hosts would be chefs?

They could have local bakers and butchers come over for podcasts.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Ever since they said they were doing a site other then Giant Bomb I have always wanted a book site and a cooking site. We are supposedly getting the book site this year, so now all we need is cooking and I will be happy. Assuming they get good staff. If you don't find the right people that could be terrible real fast.

I would kill for a good weekly hour or two video podcast with someone cooking, going over tips about cooking etc. They could do something where they pick a user submitted recipe that has been getting a lot of attention and make it live on the show. I would think that would give people a lot motivation to make some great foods to fill out the data base with. Plus, every one loves food, so they would never be short on extra people for podcasts/ guests in videos too.

They could write articles about tips for eating healthy, and how to cook healthy food so that it actually tastes good too.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

A cooking site would be fantastic!

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTA_Luciana
@Jayross said:

" Sure, as long as they nail the editors.

I think these guys are about on the level with WM:

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By psylah

I am LOCKED IN for the Jif Peanut Butter page.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Elazul

I'm not really against a food website, but if Whiskey were to add a new site to the network I'd much prefer one dedicated to music.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By psylah
@Elazul:
I don't know, last.fm has music stats and database pretty well done.
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I would definitely be behind a food/drinks site.

treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By treythalomew

A food site would be stellar. It seems like most food sites are tailored to stay at home mother who want to lose weight. I just want some great info on new things and good dishes that a regular everyday dudes would eat. It would seem like a great fit on WM since many members seem to know a thing or two about different areas of food.

Also yes to a book site. I did a lot of reading while in middle/high school and I really want to get back at it. It is so hard to figure out what the new hot books are since most top lists are full of autobiographies and political books. A concentrated site like Tested that is only the tech you care about for books would be awesome.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

Only if the features are mainly Heston Blumenthal style stuff.

The database would be incredible though tbf.

And if they did, they should include a feature where you enter in the ingredients you have and it shows results of everything you can make.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By dagas

the problem with food and drinks is that they are not international. Most games they talk about at GB come out worldwide and most tech products at Tested come out worldwide eventually, but a site about food and drinks would be useful only for Americans and maybe only to Californians since not everything is available country-wide. Reviewing a beverage that can only be found in some stores in Western US have limited appeal.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By bretthancock

The closest comparison to a "Whiskey style" food site is chow.com.  There is some serious snobbery going on there though, drives me away but most of the time its great.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@psylah said:
" @Elazul: I don't know, last.fm has music stats and database pretty well done. "
Well, IMDb has movie stats, so I don't see a problem here.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By 234r2we232
@psylah said:
" @Elazul: I don't know, last.fm has music stats and database pretty well done. "
Exactly. If I cared enough about music databases and wiki editing stuff, I'd be using Last.fm. Turns out I'd rather spend my time listening to the stuff.

Food, however, is something I always enjoy reading about, what with the limitless possibilities.
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Choffy
@Lucien_Lachance: I've never suddenly gotten so hungry in my life. Meat...
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By melcene

Given that it's Whiskey media, it would be awesome if it were a drink site... where members could share their favorite brands, recipes, etc.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wickedsc3

Yea a food and drink site would be cool, I mean tested already did a little bit.  I wonder if that was kind of testing the waters to see how the community would like it.

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By diabloshadow

This is a fucking great idea. It would also bring a lot of users that may not know about WM to their network who can then find the rest of their awesome sites. Tooootally behind this, I'M IN CHARGE OF INDIAN FOOD CALLED IT!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SSully

I could see this working. They could easily incorporate a podcast and a feature for the happy hour.  

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sameeeeam

I'd personally be more excited for a book site. Although, that might not fit very will with WM's focus on video/audio content.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I am not big on food/cooking. But could turn out good.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By craigbo180

I do enjoy food and drink. Not sure I need a website for it, but if its in the WM family I would check it out.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Whiskey Media food site could definitely hit all the sectors and tap into some major mainstream crossover potential.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By shades846

Yeah this sounds like a great idea though as some people have said it would be diffcult as food is very regional and that here in the UK it would be very diffcult to get a lot of the stuff that they would talk about.;

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTA_Luciana
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" A Whiskey Media food site could definitely hit all the sectors and tap into some major mainstream crossover potential. "
A bit cynical, don't you think?
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Elazul
@psylah:  @sofacitysweetheart: You know waht last.fm doesn't have? Alexis Alexander Navarro.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By 234r2we232
@Elazul said:
" @psylah:  @sofacitysweetheart: You know waht last.fm doesn't have? Alexis Alexander Navarro. "
I'd rather hear him talking about games :P
Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Samaritan

If nothing else, it would be unparalleled. There really isn't a database of cooking information out there, which seems crazy to me since making food is like one of the few things practically our entire species shares.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By thatfrood

The only problem is that GB users are some of the pickiest eaters ever.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Elazul
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" @Elazul said:
" @psylah:  @sofacitysweetheart: You know waht last.fm doesn't have? Alexis Alexander Navarro. "
I'd rather hear him talking about games :P "
Aww, c'mon. A music podcast with Alex, Vinny and Jeff would be fantastic.
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RagingLion

I like this idea.  I'm into my cooking and I'd be down to hear some more general tips and watch some fun videos.  Not sure what the exact remit should be of the editors for it though - there's so many things you could concentrate on.