Why all the hate for Activision?

LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordLemmy

I might be a gamer and know a ton about the systems, specs, what's out there, etc., but there seems to be this hardcore hate for Activision. Can someone provide a link, story, incident or whatever? I need to catch up here.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

mainly because they pump out anual sequels like noone else, and are more upfront about only caring for money (i said upfront, because all companies are like that)

also bobby kotik is a douchebag, and him saying they want to take the fun out of game making doesnt help.

they are basically where EA was about 5 or 6 years ago

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

They want to kill your grandmother and your new puppy.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Rhaknar said:
"they are basically where EA was about 5 or 6 years ago "
Just what I was about to say. 

They milk every possibility to make cash. If there's the slightest chance they can get away with overcharging their products, they'll go for it. Consider the fact that they were the first to start this 50 pounds for a game bullshit.
Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Crash_Happy

Activision didn't make MW2. Infinity Ward did.

I think they've replaced EA as a hate figure because of the way they churn out sequels, appearing to care more about getting the product out the door than the actual quality of the game itself. Add that to the way they, supposedly, treat such teams as Infinity Ward and there you have it.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob
@LordLemmy said:
" They made MW2, right? Well, that game sold a ton. If people hate them that much, they should simply boycott. "
... doesn't work that way. The only people who realise this stuff are your minority of hardcore gamers. People who hang out on gaming forums and follow gaming news. Even if that tiny minority boycott it isn't going to make a damn difference because your average consumer will still buy it along with their expensive map packs. 

That and I don't want to boycott a game I want to play. For the record- I didn't pay full price for MW2. I still dislike the company and their policies, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop using all their products. Lets not forget about the hard work of the developers under their control.
worknman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By worknman

I think it's more of a hate for the current CEO, who seems to have little-to-no interest in putting out quality product... just whatever makes the most money. This isn't really anything new insofar as large corporations are concerned, but this guy is pretty up front about it. Wikipedia has a lot to say about this: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick

I mean, it really sucks when you're taking it up the ass, but it's even worse when whoever is on the giving end reminds you of it constantly.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Semition
@LordLemmy said:
" They made MW2, right? Well, that game sold a ton. If people hate them that much, they should simply boycott. "
Activision is the publisher. Infinity Ward is the developer.
LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordLemmy

Ah, OK. I'll look further into this.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zonerover

Unfortunately, the "if it sells, then we're doing a good job" mentality seems to dominate business today. While Activision seems to be doing this with their annualised franchises, from a business perspective its probably the smart thing to do in the short term. While it reduces the longevity of their products, they're a quarter by quarter company and don't seem to care about long term sales as much.

The audience here I'm sure wants to see better, more innovative games being released, and Guitar Hero X with new announcer, story mode and an exclusive track from Mystery Voodoo Band doesn't cut it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
@LordLemmy said:
They actually did, there were a ton of people out there who decided to boycott the game (Modern Warfare 2) 
Then 2 days after i released, they were all playing it anyway. 
Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bluethunder35

Bobby Kotick is an arrogant egomaniac who thinks his ideas should be taken as gospel. Stuff like the endless sequels to games like Guitar Hero, Call Of Duty and other franchises, the way he gutted Infinity Ward and his absolute assholiness in the way he presents himself disgusts me.  

I am boycotting anything with the Activision name, the boycott started after the Infinity Ward fiasco. I want nothing to do with his company and I want none of his published games in my house. I might be the only person doing this but it's the only way I can stick it to Mr. Kotick. 

It's pretty sad that I have to turn to EA and their "overpriced in Canada" games. Still, I don't really buy much of their product, either.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@LordLemmy said:
I along with plenty other people have started a boycott following the Infinity Ward debacle. It kinda suck not getting some of the new games that come out because they are published by Activision but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vorbis
@LordLemmy said:

" I might be a gamer and know a ton about the systems, specs, what's out there, etc., but there seems to be this hardcore hate for Activision. Can someone provide a link, story, incident or whatever? I need to catch up here. "

This link should explain everything that Activision has done in the last few years that might make people dislike them.
  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Seedofpower
@JJWeatherman said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Someone you just want to punish.
GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By GrandpaJelly

And I have to hate on Ubisoft. it's a tough world out there.

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Kahoona

They don't support innovation or creating new IPs because that cuts in to their bottom line.  Their whole concept of milk an IP while it's hot until it dies is extremely short sighted and that's why they do it.  Kotick won't be there when the shit hits the fan and the bottom falls out.  

Activision released EIGHT Hero games last year...EIGHT OF THEM. And now they're making GoldenEye again?  Wow, way to be creative there.  

That indie contest they started where the top prize is something close to 175k is a huge sham and cheap IP grab for them, not to mention how they treat their developers like shit.  They post record profits and then lay off thousands of workers and shutter up studios the week after.  

Another thing I hate about them is their concept of requiring peripherals for a game even if they don't work (see: Tony Hawk: RIDE).  That publisher is the scum of the earth and the sooner the bottom falls out the better.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By sjschmidt93

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Activision raped my dad and killed my mom.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By nicolenomicon
@worknman said:
" I mean, it really sucks when you're taking it up the ass, but it's even worse when whoever is on the giving end reminds you of it constantly. "
Nice metaphor there.
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By C2C

The hate for Activision comes from a lot of stuff.   

Over saturation of the -music- hero, Tony Hawk, and Call of Duty games.  Saying no to games with new/risky ideas like Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters, and Riddick.  Kotick and his comments with the best example being the "exploiting" games part and his threats to Sony's PS3 price point at the time.   

I could be missing something but I think that is the gist of it.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

How can somebody not know why Activision is hated in this day & age?