#1 Edited by Kenobi (374 posts) -

Are they the modern cheap Irish labor? I read that the Irish are on another big exodus, highest amount leaving since records have been kept.

#2 Posted by Willza92 (263 posts) -

uk.gamespot.com?

#3 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

You mean the staff? Isn't Danny O'Dwyer the only Irish guy there? At least in terms of on-screen personal anywhoo. As for the rest of the British, that's just the UK branch of Gamespot. Though they have been stealing the show lately with all of their new features and the like, but it's better that way anyway since the GSUK folk are overall much more likeable and charismatic than their US counterparts.

#4 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

CBSi is racist.

#5 Posted by Stonyman65 (2699 posts) -

I've noticed ever since most (probably all at this point, right?) of the original Gamespot crew ended up leaving around 2005-2008 or so it looked like the site had to make up for those losses and that's when you started to see a lot more of the GamspotUK people.

#6 Posted by Kenobi (374 posts) -

Actually it's not just gamespot. most major news networks I've noticed have at least quarter of the staff made of brits now. Suppose it's a trend.

#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6268 posts) -

Hey at least you can tell the difference between Irish and 'Brits'.

#8 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5434 posts) -

People like comprehensible British accents.

#9 Posted by Dalai (7027 posts) -
#10 Posted by seveword (153 posts) -

You misspelled 'unintelligible.'

#11 Posted by Pr1mus (3900 posts) -

The question should be "Why aren't there more Irish/Brits on Gamespot?" because Gamespot UK shits all over its US counterpart in quality and entertainment.

#12 Posted by FLStyle (4693 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

The question should be "Why aren't there more Irish/Brits on Gamespot?" because Gamespot UK shits all over its US counterpart in quality and entertainment.

I think they're all poor with the exception of Jess McDonell (who isn't American, British or Irish), she has competence and personality. Max is wasted working for GS, he should move over to GB.

#14 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5019 posts) -

Accent = Success, just look at BRAD Shoemaker.

#15 Posted by Castiel (2599 posts) -

Where is Giant Bomb's irish/british man/lady? We want one too!

#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Why is Giantbomb all american dudes? RACISM

#17 Edited by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Probably just to bring a touch of class and sophistication to proceedings.

#18 Posted by Kenobi (374 posts) -

@jimbo: Have you met British people?

#19 Posted by masterpaperlink (1841 posts) -

someone gave them a video camera and you just noticed

#20 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2384 posts) -

Bloody hell

#21 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Most of the Americans are actually successors of British and Irish colonialists. So what's the big deal with that?

Also, when you don't like a community, you stay away from it. General advice.

Second advice: if you seek a good community, don't waste your time with GS.

#22 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

BLOODY NORA

#23 Edited by Strife777 (1574 posts) -

What about our favorite greasy Sicilian? He might've been born in America (which I don't know), but he's still the Italian Stallion at heart.

#24 Posted by Dalai (7027 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

What about our favorite greasy Sicilian? He might've been born in America (which I don't know), but he's still the Italian Stallion at heart.

About that... I think Vinny is secretly a black guy. Can't prove it, just a gut feeling.

#25 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Follow up: Does it matter?

Answer: No.

Danny is awesome.

#26 Posted by Vuud (1988 posts) -

Patrick Klepek is in fact a Merman. He got the job solely due to affirmative action.

...fuckin' merfolk.

#27 Edited by tourgen (4492 posts) -

@yummylee said:

You mean the staff? Isn't Danny O'Dwyer the only Irish guy there? At least in terms of on-screen personal anywhoo.

Danny has the personality of 3 standard men. Maybe that's what confused Kenobi. Honest mistake.

#28 Posted by Nodima (1192 posts) -

I've wondered this about IGN for a while too with regards to Australia. I don't keep up with any gaming sites other than Giantbomb for content and Kotaku/Polygon once or twice a day for all the news, but on my weekly check-in to IGN it's seemed like all the good stuff is from Australia for a couple years now.

#29 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

@seveword said:

@fredchuckdave said:

You misspelled 'unintelligible.'

reported

#30 Edited by Twisted (202 posts) -

Yeah the british guys are cool. Danny O'Dwyer does some of the best content on the site though, and his videos lately about GTA have been good. I barely even knew who he was until he showed up for the BioForge videos and already there he showed a lot more personality than a lot of the regular GS folks. It would be awesome if he did more crossover stuff with GB. He actually seems to fit in quite well with them.

#31 Posted by Snail (8603 posts) -

@pr1mus: I remember a GS show with two British hipsters talking about phone apps and it was unbearably hard to watch.

#32 Edited by YoThatLimp (1906 posts) -

@twisted said:

Yeah the british guys are cool. Danny O'Dwyer does some of the best content on the site though, and his videos lately about GTA have been good. I barely even knew who he was until he showed up for the BioForge videos and already there he showed a lot more personality than a lot of the regular GS folks. It would be awesome if he did more crossover stuff with GB. He actually seems to fit in quite well with them.

GB just need to take him. He can't fill Ryan's Baller Time new balance, but he would be a good addition.

#33 Posted by Veektarius (4812 posts) -

Giantbomb needs to hire someone from Newcastle with an absolutely opaque accent

#34 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@twisted said:

GB just need to take him. He can't fill Ryan's Baller Time new balance, but he would be a good addition.

Hell no. If Danny was brought onto GB then he wouldn't be able to do his features like The Point & Mount Stupid anymore, and there's zero chance that he'd be able to make something nearly as well made either given GB's budget.

#35 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Couldn't tell you I guess they needed variety.

#36 Posted by MormonWarrior (2590 posts) -

Yeah, I'd say that GameSpot has gone to crap since 2007 but the UK/foreign staff are way better than the local dudes. I mean, Tom Mc Shea is an idiot with reviews and Carolyn Petit is a transgender dude that feels the need to call out every game for being misogynistic even when it's not and mark down every Nintendo game just because. I've just learned to ignore the site entirely, to be honest, and the best stuff from there is when someone like Danny comes over in the BioForge stuff. All the best talent left with the creation of Giant Bomb.

I remember Danny O'Dwyer when he was just one of the top community members at GS. I interacted with him a good deal back then. Seems like a legit cool dude.