Why are they trying to make me pay for four sites I dont use

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras

I dont care about the rest of whiskey media... the only people I care about are the people I grew up with Ryan, Geff, Brad and Vinny.
Why are they offering Whiskey subs, I just want a Giantbomb membership... it makes me laugh that they are offering the bombcast as part of the 5k offer for free :P Using GB assests as tools to plug the rest of Whiskey media sucks guys.
 Offer me a 80% discount on the price of the yearly because I will only use 1 of the 5 sites.. and I will sub

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By LackingSaint

You want to pay $10 a year?

That's just not smart business on their part.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gizmo
@Astras said:
" I dont care about the rest of whiskey media... the only people I care about are the people I grew up with Ryan, Geff, Brad and Vinny. Why are they offering Whiskey subs, I just want a Giantbomb membership... it makes me laugh that they are offering the bombcast as part of the 5k offer for free :P Using GB assests as tools to plug the rest of Whiskey media sucks guys.  Offer me a 80% discount on the price of the yearly because I will only use 1 of the 5 sites.. and I will sub "
You've hit the nail on the head, my friend.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nickux

$5 a month for Giant Bomb alone is good enough for me. It's the only site I use too. 

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BigBoss1911
@LackingSaint:  
A tshirt, no ads and hd video is worth about $20 a year.$50 is not, I cant see how people are buying into this.
Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Buscemi

They're, for some reason, arguing that that's the cost of a single site. The other four are just a bonus. Or something.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn
@LackingSaint said:
" You want to pay $10 a year?  That's just not smart business on their part. "
I think they'd actually do much more money if they give more payment options. Maybe paying for each site, or more fractionated payments. Instead of monthy/yearly, maybe three months, six months, nine months too.
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LackingSaint
@BigBoss1911 said:
" @LackingSaint:  A tshirt, no ads and hd video is worth about $20 a year.$50 is not, I cant see how people are buying into this. "
Well keep in mind, HD Video costs them alot of money just for the bandwidth, not having ads effectively removes any profits gained passively from you purely for your benefit, and I don't know about you but buying a t-shirt and getting it shipped usually runs me more than $20.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hot_Karl
@Astras said:
" I dont care about the rest of whiskey media... the only people I care about are the people I grew up with Ryan, Geff, Brad and Vinny. Why are they offering Whiskey subs, I just want a Giantbomb membership... it makes me laugh that they are offering the bombcast as part of the 5k offer for free :P Using GB assests as tools to plug the rest of Whiskey media sucks guys.  Offer me a 80% discount on the price of the yearly because I will only use 1 of the 5 sites.. and I will sub "
Here's the thing, no one's making you do anything. If you don't want to pay...don't pay. Whatever, no one's gonna hate you for it. If you want to support Giant Bomb (and Whiskey Media by extention) then you can throw down money for what they're offering. But if you don't agree with it, vote with your wallet and DON'T PAY.
hilld1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By hilld1985
@BigBoss1911 said: 

@LackingSaint:  A tshirt, no ads and hd video is worth about $20 a year.$50 is not, I cant see how people are buying into this. "

People are supporting endeavors they enjoy. 

I know it's difficult for a lot of you to understand, but hey.    
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

$10 a year is too low for the entirety of Giant Bomb simply because Giant Bomb is worth so much more than the other sites.  That's perfectly fine.

However, they've made some sort of pact to stick together.  Maybe the large basement office cost is just too efficient and they won't ever lay off or fire any of the current Whiskey Media staff because of it.

No idea but I definitely completely disagree with the reasoning.

I don't want to pay for the mobile site, I have no devices that could use it.  I don't want to pay for non-GB, I never use them...  Why would I pay for all those features I never use?  Let people pay for features with their wallets.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LackingSaint

Yeah i'm not saying Site-by-site subscription shouldn't be a thing, but charging 1/5th of the price is just completely unrealistic. Hell, the shirt alone probably cost them $15~ to make and ship, plus they're getting no ad revenue from you and HD video. Honestly i'd probably say $35~ per site would be okay.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Astras
@Diamond said:
" $10 a year is too low for the entirety of Giant Bomb simply because Giant Bomb is worth so much more than the other sites.  That's perfectly fine.  However, they've made some sort of pact to stick together.  Maybe the large basement office cost is just too efficient and they won't ever lay off or fire any of the current Whiskey Media staff because of it.  No idea but I definitely completely disagree with the reasoning.  I don't want to pay for the mobile site, I have no devices that could use it.  I don't want to pay for non-GB, I never use them...  Why would I pay for all those features I never use?  Let people pay for features with their wallets. "
thats the thing before they moved into this office space with the rest of whiskey media, people were saying that they would even donate money to GB.. and I prolly would of myself every now and again because I love the guys.. it's the whole Whiskey family thing that is bothering me... I guess GB is happy to raise the profile of the rest of whiskey which is obvious because they are a great bunch of guys.

It sounds a bit harsh but I wish I could be more selective about where my money goes and who I am supporting... I agree I don't like being asked to pay for product's that I am not using and support people that I have no interest in.
martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By martindn

I doubt much of our money will go to GB or the guys. most probably to whiskey itself, but i am happy to pay if it keeps GB the way it is.

And astras, agreed on that point, i like giantbomb, i really dont like these joint family shows, if i wanted to watch the other sites i would go there. (Though i havnt given them a chance so maybe i should ? Mhmm)

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blair

Suck it up.  Fuck, if you can't afford it or don't want to pay, then don't!  You're coming off as whiny little girls.  Think of the money as a donation to the website that you frequent.  No one works/lives for free.  This isn't a charity!  These are real people who need to support themselves financially.  One day you'll grow up and realize that the money needs to come from somewhere.  Just be happy that you're getting the opportunity to continue to access the material at no cost.  No one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to.  Don't pay, just shut the fuck up and enjoy the website.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By nickux
@BigBoss1911 said:
" @LackingSaint:  A tshirt, no ads and hd video is worth about $20 a year.$50 is not, I cant see how people are buying into this. "

No Caption Provided
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LackingSaint
@nickux said:

No Caption Provided
"

Oh god you just summarised everything. I love you.
haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By haoshiro

I think the yearly price is not terrible if you want the shirt, because as others have said, they aren't getting ad revenue off the user.  But are they getting $30-40/yr in ad revenue off a single user? If that's the case then it particularly doesn't make sense to restrict content (mobile, live show) for non-subscribers who are already contributing by viewings ads 

I don't think it's confusing for people to be willing to spend $50/yr or $5/mo for no ads and to support WM/GB.  To me that part makes sense, you'd pay $100 if you could, right? :)   But "Silver" still get ads, even though they pay more per year  then a "Gold" member.  The t-shirt incentive to pay-ahead makes sense, at that point you don't even need to give a discount of $10. 

Put ads on the mobile version of the site (if they don't already) and "free" users pay by seeing the ads.  Subscribers of any level shouldn't see the ads, because they have chosen an alternative method of contributing.    

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Astras

Bah, im so sick of whiskey media.. I would much rather wire transfer money into the gb staff's accounts

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By ReyGitano

The way I think of it, you're only really paying for one site, the rest is just a bonus. Making you pay for each site seems like a bad move to me.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By allgrinzz
@Astras: I'd be down with that, hook me up with paypal addresses and I'll send my donations there. ;)  I may still pick up the year sub cause i've got the cash for it, but to be honest, the only other whiskey site I've visited was Tested, and that was just a few days ago.  I have no idea who these guys are, love the giant bomb staff, but tossing out cash to the other three when I've never even used their service makes me feel odd.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187
@BigBoss1911 said:
Because people are also looking at the shit that we've gotten in the past without those guys making money on it. 

Moreover, I think it's a damn shame that people don't use the other sites...well, everything but Anime Vice which isn't in solid hands at the moment.  Comic Vine, Screened, and Tested are all excellent sites. 

I will say that I can understand the point of the OP, though.  If you only use one site, then you feel like paying for a membership may not be worthwhile.  Personally, when looking at a monthly cable bill and putting that into comparison of the value that Giant Bomb alone offers, $50 a YEAR is totally justifiable.  If you don't honestly believe the same, then damn man...you've got standards that are WAAAAAAY too high.
Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Heartagram

You guys realize part of "Buying into this" whole thing is just because we want to support content and people we love. Thats mainly why I subscribed.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mighty

Seems to me like 10 a year is too cheap, but I think you're overall correct, sir.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Astras
@Heartagram: 
Yea sure, just wish if I did want to subscribe.. i did before I found out about the bombcast pressure they applied.. which is wierd... I could subscribe to just Giant bomb
allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By allgrinzz

So would the giantbomb crew like my 50$'s in a mailbag episode or paypal'd?  Cause.. I've never listened to the podcast once,  no real want for HD video, no "smart phone" for the media on the go,  Whiskey media Tshirt not really wanted, but hell, wouldn't mind showing support to the guys I love to watch in quick looks and reviews and other videos.  (quick looks and TANG are the two reasons i keep coming back to this site ^^ )

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

THEY ALL USE THE SAME FUCKING EQUIPMENT  

MONEY GOES TO THE SAME PLACE

WHY ARE YOU ALL RETARDED

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Novyx

My opinion is that anyone bitching about the subscription plans can leave, and the community will be dramatically better. I can't afford a sub right now, but I don't find it unreasonable and I understand that these are all people working together and most the work being done on infrastructure is for all the sites anyways. No one is making you do anything, and I'm really sick of all the entitled brats around here thinking only about what works for their own selves, instead of the people who actually work hard every day to please them. You care and have money? Pay. don't think it's worth your money? Go elsewhere or shut up.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By mesklinite
@Astras said:
"I dont care about the rest of whiskey media... the only people I care about are the people I grew up with Ryan, Geff, Brad and Vinny. Why are they offering Whiskey subs, I just want a Giantbomb membership... it makes me laugh that they are offering the bombcast as part of the 5k offer for free :P Using GB assests as tools to plug the rest of Whiskey media sucks guys.  Offer me a 80% discount on the price of the yearly because I will only use 1 of the 5 sites.. and I will sub "

Do you pay for cable? How's that woman network treating ya?They're a package, get over it. 
 Really, if you think about for the most part because Giantbomb is bigger, they probably get more say in where things are headed. The more users, the more power they have.
ziropiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ziropiro

I pay 50 dollars to support the company that keeps this website up and running. The fact that they run 4 other awesome websites - is more than a bonus. It's a testament to being the fore front of original content. I come to Giant bomb because they offer more information and more depth into the gaming industry than any other website, because they literally befriend the industry. If GB was a monthly magazine, I'd be subscribed. However, It's a daily website - full of content. It's worth more than 50 dollars a year.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Castro
@Titus said:
" They're, for some reason, arguing that that's the cost of a single site. The other four are just a bonus. Or something. "
This is correct! Yeah, you are paying five bucks a month or fifty dollars a year for Giant Bomb. This is a fucking bargain. The other sites are gravy.
cheeseknight5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cheeseknight5
@mesklinite said:
 Really, if you think about for the most part because Giantbomb is bigger, they probably get more say in where things are headed. The more users, the more power they have. "
Pretty much this. The GB guys make up a huge chunk of the Whiskey staff. They fill nearly half of the coaster on the new shirt. GB is more expensive to run than the other Whiskey sites, so they will see most of the subscription money. The suits running the show behind the scenes will know where most of the users are coming from and distribute money accordingly. Just makes business sense.
mAdMoNkEyMaNgO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mAdMoNkEyMaNgO
@ziropiro said:
" I pay 50 dollars to support the company that keeps this website up and running. The fact that they run 4 other awesome websites - is more than a bonus. It's a testament to being the fore front of original content. I come to Giant bomb because they offer more information and more depth into the gaming industry than any other website, because they literally befriend the industry. If GB was a monthly magazine, I'd be subscribed. However, It's a daily website - full of content. It's worth more than 50 dollars a year. "
Monthly magazine was how I looked at it as well but way better. $50 to support the family of sites well worth it.
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By BrittonPeele
@Astras said:
" Bah, im so sick of whiskey media.. I would much rather wire transfer money into the gb staff's accounts "
There would be no Giant Bomb without Whiskey Media. There never would have BEEN Giant Bomb without Whiskey Media. Your attitude against them is somewhat like biting the hand that feeds you, dude. 

Ryan, Vinny, Jeff and Brad couldn't have started this thing on their own. It's nice to think that they could have, but they know they couldn't have, which is why they teamed up with Whiskey Media in the first place. Period. And all told, it seems like Whiskey Media has been a GREAT home for them. So much so that their friends - Alex and Matt - also teamed up with them to create another website, Screened.

If you're not into the other sites, fine. But don't try to act like Whiskey Media is evil.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tsolless

They share the same building, the same equipment, and the same budget.

It's not at all surprising why it's a bundled package. The way that it is set up it would be difficult to split the subscriptions.

Also, you're only interesting in games? No interest in movies, tv shows, electronics, comics, or anime? I'm sure whiskey media's userbase has a lot of overlap in those areas.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Coombs
@Empirepaintball said:
" Seems to me like 10 a year is too cheap, but I think you're overall correct, sir. "
I agree,   And would happily pay pay 25-30 a year for GB alone, 
I really dislike paying websites I don't use.
SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SonicBoyster

The cost is too rich for my blood but I think people are totally underselling what's going on here because they lack context.  If not for Whiskey Media pitching in the money to cover *everything* that got these guys up and going for the first, what, two years?  Without even having any ads on the site.... They wouldn't have a site.  There would be no site.  You're paying Whiskey Media for providing the jobs to the Giantbomb crew, for taking a risk on them and putting down all the cash to get them going.  You're not paying for Screened or Anime Vice. 

I'll sight up for the $5 a month for now... I'm poor as all hell but I guess I can afford $5 a month, and hopefully it'll help build up towards a stable bombcast.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm sure you can link your account to other sites without subscribing.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf

I can understand if someone can't spell Jeff's last name? But Geff? What the hell?