• 86 results
#51 Posted by The_Nubster (2047 posts) -

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

It's weird when pepole say to support the website, I mean it's not a charity.

No, but their parent company needs to see that they have support and money coming in. They weren't bought so they could ditch their money-making efforts and be supported by higher-ups, they were bought because they showed that they could make money and had the capacity for growth and evolution. When people stop buying memberships is when GB gets reformed or sold off.

#52 Posted by CornBREDX (4806 posts) -

A.) To support the staff and the site.  
That's it. They do good things, and I enjoy the content. Has nothing to do with charity (as someone on page 1 said, ignorantly). It helps keep the giantbomb dudes independent.  I see nothing but good things coming from that.
I'd do it at this point with no benefit to myself beyond what the site already sets itself up to do (for free).

#53 Posted by Rafaelfc (1313 posts) -

To make non-supporters jealous of my SICK GOLD MEDAL!

#54 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

No ads, video player that doesn't suck and more content.

#55 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

@murisan said:

For the custom cryblock extensions.

Hehe did you try it? Going to play with it a little and addon. Will blog once version .02 is ready.

Naw, I just commend you for going that extra mile. I'm a dumbass when it comes to code - does the program just censor out certain member's posts that you've marked as crybabies, or does it detect certain strings of text?

#56 Edited by Abendlaender (2764 posts) -

Cause I like feeling superior to other people and this is the only way for me....

Na, A&B it is. Hell, paying 35€ a year feels like nothing compared to how much time I spend on this site, and I'm not even a bit "forums" guy

#57 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

@CaptStickybeard said:

I don't know anymore.

This tbh. The only content I ever watch these days are the videos with Dave, Drew, and Vinny. I used to watch everything, but these days I'd rather not watch some dudes playing games they clearly dislike or just don't want to play.

#58 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

i don't pay for cable tv and only need about an hour a day of something to watch. This site alone is more than adequate to fill that purpose.

speaking of which, it really boils a cable company's hide when you only get telephone and internet from them. Once every two weeks they call me with an INCREDIBLE LIMITED TIME OFFER to add tv to my package. They've gone so far as to say, we'll give you premium cable for free for six months if you just let us put the box inside your apartment.

#59 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

i don't pay for cable tv and only need about an hour a day of something to watch. This site alone is more than adequate to fill that purpose.

speaking of which, it really boils a cable company's hide when you only get telephone and internet from them. Once every two weeks they call me with an INCREDIBLE LIMITED TIME OFFER to add tv to my package. They've gone so far as to say, we'll give you premium cable for free for six months if you just let us put the box inside your apartment.

I love that. I just tell them I don't have a TV. The reactions are fantastic. (I do have a TV, but fuck them).

#60 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Because they initially sold it as an endeavor to relieve themselves of the shackles and influence of advertising. They've since progressed away from that, though. Exceptional additional content would compensate for that, though. I'm not going to throw money at a commercial enterprise that already supports themselves with advertising money out of a fucking obligated sense of charity. Next time my subscription lapses, I'll have to re-evaluate things. Other than quick-looks, most of the content here really is just the same stream you get on any other RSS feed about trailers and general bland industry news, peppered with the occasional attempt at "journalism".

The weekly "live" thing originally kind of sold me on it, but then they started padding it with content that just wasn't interesting and it died.

I still dig GB, but I can't help but get this sense that they are a bit lost, wandering, and uninspired about their jobs and the product they output.

Hallelujah my brother preach that gospel!

#61 Edited by Pr1mus (3811 posts) -

Jar Time & Radio Show.

#62 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Blastroid said:

@murisan said:

For the custom cryblock extensions.

Hehe did you try it? Going to play with it a little and addon. Will blog once version .02 is ready.

Naw, I just commend you for going that extra mile. I'm a dumbass when it comes to code - does the program just censor out certain member's posts that you've marked as crybabies, or does it detect certain strings of text?

Just created the blog about the CryBot and fixed the reply/quote problem.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/blastroid/giant-bomb-forum-crybot/30-97804/

#63 Posted by BBAlpert (1372 posts) -

Because shit like Jeff's Raid is precisely the kind of dumb I can get behind. Plus a lot of the stuff where Drew, Vinny, and Dave geek out over PC games is behind the paywall.

#64 Posted by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

For a decent amount/quality of Premium content (specifically, I subscribed immediately upon seeing the Daggerfall Random PC game, and every Random PC game afterward). For the ability to download videos (I've filled a hard drive; and with the amount I tend to re-watch content, I'm sure I've actually saved Giant Bomb server load and myself in bandwidth costs). And because, hell, I probably watch the Giant Bomb staff play video games equally if not more than I play them myself these days. I guess that's worth the cost of a game a year. So long as it continues to be worth it, I'll keep it up.

#65 Edited by IntoTheN1ght (62 posts) -

Ive been looking for people who view games the same way i do for a long time, in magazines in the 90s you never really found a writer who talked like you and your buddies did, it was too "professional" and phoney. When the internet broke out, everything was too staged, not enough reality for me.

On YouTube there are too many kids trying to rip off AVGN, and that whole angry gimmick got tiring in 2009.

I enjoy watching the guys just play games and talk, their E3 coverage, bombcasts, QLs and TNTs are highlights for me when it comes to entertainment.

#66 Posted by TobbRobb (4580 posts) -

To support the dudes and watch some premium stuff! I also hate money, but that didn't fit in with the rest.

#67 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

This site is great, and they can't live on ad revenue.

#68 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I don't understand what your options entail.

This thread was made very shortly after this 250+ comment thread about some guy whining about the lack of premium content. I'm guessing he made it to gauge what the community was expecting from their premium memberships... or something like that.

#69 Posted by Shensai (40 posts) -

To support GB because they are the greatest humans.

#70 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I just meant that I didn't understand what options B, C and D were actually about.

#71 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Right, I guess I meant to point out that the creator of that other thread expected premium content every week (option C of this thread) Friday on the dot, for some reason. Also, Giantbomb still uses this image to try to entice people to buy memberships (which is option D of this thread).

#72 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TooWalrus: I just meant that I didn't understand what options B, C and D were actually about.

Do you want or expect premium content weekly, daily, or whenever.

#73 Posted by thefaulconer (65 posts) -

I'm premium cause I love supporting this site!

Not really. I suppose it's true in some way but to be honest I'm much more selfish then that.

I keep signing up for monthly premium because of the Random PC game stuff and Load our Last Save, the latter of which has been especially lacking as of late.

What the fuck Vinny.

Also I remember Ryan Davis talking about playing Omikron during one of the Random PC games. I would sell my soul to see that.

Or just buy another month, cause that's not as expensive/eternal damning.

#74 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

Persona 4 Endurance Run. 100 hours of enjoyment.

#75 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I hate money and love to laugh.

#76 Posted by RioStarwind (485 posts) -

Since I visit the site daily I might as well give a little support to them. They continue to make me laugh and I think that's at least worth 50$ a year.

#77 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

A&B.

I want to support the site, but I probably wouldn't subscribe if there was nothing in it for me. I'm not one of those people who get angry when there's no subscriber content on a regular basis though, I don't think I even watch a lot of the stuff they put out.

#78 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Because I spend 5 dollars a month one far more worthless stuff (looking at you, mall vending machine). I'm also extremely lazy, and do not want to bother with canceling the subscription, only to come back for another month after a few month's worth of premium content has piled up.

I also like the site I guess, maybe.

#79 Posted by LarcenousLaugh (69 posts) -

I hung out and watched Quick looks for about 4 months before I joined up. Was happy with all the premium content and the community in general, and felt that with all the content I was watching, not paying was kinda criminal. Never spent a better 5 bucks a month.

#80 Posted by d0m3l (63 posts) -

Three words - Happy Hour Archives :)

#81 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

I really enjoy the site, the people behind it, and the content, and I want to support it in the most direct way possible. The additional content is great, and I like being part of a devoted community.

#82 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

I went premium because they provide me with a lot more entertainment than television does. Considering I pay exactly the same amount a year, with the bombsquad delivering daily content while television only delivers once in a blue moon something I might or might not watch.

#83 Posted by ProfessorK (816 posts) -

I support this! (shout outs to xpantherx for putting these together)

#84 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Giantbomb is worth a yearly "magazine subscription" for me because:

• Bombcast!
  • awesome original reviews from knowledgeable people who care about games
  • fun side projects that the staff puts together and enjoys doing

I don't want "forced" content - stuff they do just because they feel they have to now. I'd rather they do stuff they care about less frequently. Or just blow it on hookers and coke for all I care as long as we get to hear about it on the bombcast.

#85 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I like the premium content, the lack of video ads, and the embedded youtube player.

#86 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

The free pizza

#87 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I want as much premium content as possible, would be cool to have a 5.1 surround sound podcast for premium members, with each person getting a seperate channel, because I listen with my 5.1 headphones any way. Would like another endurance run and more random PC games to get me to resubscribe. I hope we get more RPCG when Dave has pushed the new site out.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

It's weird when pepole say to support the website, I mean it's not a charity.

I know right, they are owned by one of the biggest media enterprises in the world and they play games for a living.