#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Is it just me, or are we never doing any solo missions or in FPS's? I remember in Goldeneye, Timesplitters, Doom that you were primarily left alone. I miss that, because now there is pretty much always somebody there to lead you, which is cool, but I feel it should be an even split of alone and wit some dudes.

#2 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

Bioshock.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Mordukai: And just how long ago was that made, and hey guess who is with you in Bioshock Infinite...

#4 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

Resistance 3?

#5 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Metro 2033? There's plenty of em, but I haven't been playing many FPS's this year so I can't say which ones are or not.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Those games also had a fairly limited story, having companions allows a narrative to be told. Bioshock is a lonesome game but it had audio recordings.

#7 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I want an FPS where the guy only talks to himself and it would kinda be like A Beautiful Mind the video game because your only assistance is from your imaginary friends

#8 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Who would you follow?

#9 Posted by Gnubberen (762 posts) -

@MistaSparkle said:

I want an FPS where the guy only talks to himself and it would kinda be like A Beautiful Mind the video game because your only assistance is from your imaginary friends

So you mean like..

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Designers don't trust players not to be totally retarded anymore. Perhaps with good reason. "FOLLOW" is the worst culprit. Close second are the massive button prompts for simple actions you perform about a million times over the course of the game (pick up ammo, reload etc.)

#11 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

@FlemmingM: EXACTLY, but with less shooting and more parkour!

#12 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

You were basically alone in Far cry 2 and Bioshock 2. That been said I understand the point you're making, we do need a balance in most of today's FPS games.

#13 Posted by Catfish666 (189 posts) -

I think it's surely more often that you get allies and NPCs in FPS's nowadays, devs like to liven up the surroundings more with adding some light RPG elements. It's back in the 90s when the genre was emerging and defining itself, you just had the basics: Gun, map and enemies to shoot, the AI development was kinda basic then as well. The story was told in cutscenes only then, whereas the current trend of call it immmersive storytelling they like to have the story characters in the game environment.

But I wouldn't say you don't get to go solo plenty enough still, thinking of games like Crysis series, Borderlands, Far Cry 2, Rage, Serious Sam BFE, Stalker series, Resistance series, list goes. To me at least it seems that you still blow stuff up by yourself.

#14 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think because technology has advanced where you can have people talk to you and follow good. remember back in the day where a game would have a character follow you to find the following character just walking into the wall. you had to walk back for her to follow you again.

#15 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

I just dislike it when you have to follow someone else around, like some kind of tard or sidekick to that guy. If I'm not alone, I expect those people to FOLLOW ME!

#16 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

because FPS's are designed for multiplayer now. and any campaign mode in an FPS must allow for co-op play.

most of the people i check gamercards for in MW3 don't have the achievement for starting the SP campaign. you get an achievement just for STARTING it and most people don't have it. they never even clicked on the SP option before going to multiplayer.

i honestly don't even know why they put single player in MW3 or BF3. it's pretty clear that the vast majority of this demographic is not interested.

what's the last successful single player FPS? really? Rage? yeah people loved that.

hard reset looks fucking awesome though i wish it was on consoles, but guess what, it would probably flop because no multiplayer.

#17 Edited by Humanity (8810 posts) -

It has nothing to do with players being too dumb and the need to herd you. If the setting calls for it, having other characters to bounce the atmosphere and current events off is a great idea. Much rather be walking with a bunch of guys talking about whats going on and whatnot, exposing backstory, than picking up a document and reading two pages of text.

When the atmosphere calls for it you're left alone. These are older titles but:

Condemned 2 left you alone all the time.

FEAR2 you were alone practically 99% of the time.

RAGE you played by yourself

Singularity you're by yourself

Metro 2033 most of the time by yourself

Halo Reach FELT like you were by yourself to me even though you weren't really

Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena

I'm absolutely fine with having other characters with me, talking, as long as they're interesting and leading me around. That doesn't insult my intelligence or anything. If it's a First Person Shooter the path is going to be pretty linear anyway so if theres a guy who I have to "Follow" or if I'm walking down a single corridor it makes no difference to me.

#18 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Nah most FPS still have solo missions so yeah. Pointless thread.

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

It's to give it a sense of population and companionship in singleplayer games. Some games kinda need it (Skyrim), some games use the fact that you're alone to their advantage (Amnesia).

#20 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

You need someone to open the door for you to the next scripted sequence....

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Last time I was left alone in a FPS I had to crawl under a bunch of soldiers who were looking for me. And I was attacked by a rat.. A FUCKING RAT! I could really have used my guys back there, but nooooo

#22 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

It adds a sense of scale. No, this major Global conflict you're fighting in isn't fought just by you. You have actual AI controlled teammates that are supposed to fight with you and cover your back. A bad single player game to me is exactly what you described. The developer can't bother to add in teammates because they can't master AI and character development. That, or they're stuck in 1994 (Bethesda) and haven't bothered to improve AI handling leaving you stuck with "companions" that are brain dead and thus aren't used for much else besides fighting.

#23 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

Also, it doesn't make sense for you to be alone since a lot of them try to be "realistic" in some sense. You wouldn't be able to take on so many people alone in a real situation.

Not that they are in any way realistic anyway, but that's a different point.

#24 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

Rage was a breathe of fresh air, and I certainly enjoyed it (though it's reception is admittedly mixed).

It is disappointing when games like Half-Life 2, with the great atmosphere, have your AI buddy pop in with some witty quip. Let me enjoy some of that stuff alone, Alyx.

#25 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Nah most FPS still have solo missions so yeah. Pointless thread.
#26 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

For example, MW3 had you follow somebody/group of peopl the entire game.

#27 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -

@iam3green said:

i think because technology has advanced where you can have people talk to you and follow good. remember back in the day where a game would have a character follow you to find the following character just walking into the wall. you had to walk back for her to follow you again.

That happens in Black Ops.

#28 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I see your point, but I think it is because if you're alone and killing hundreds of enemies you either have to seem powerful like Master Chief or be stealthy(ish) and skilled like Agent 47, Snake or James Bond.

#29 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Animasta said:

Metro 2033? There's plenty of em, but I haven't been playing many FPS's this year so I can't say which ones are or not.

Metro has a bunch of sections where you're lead around by Bourbon and the preacher guy and then a team.
#30 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Dead Island?

#31 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

If there is one thing I hated about old FPSes, it'd be always being alone. I know it's good for atmospheric reasons yes, but being always alone only reminds me what a sad emo kid i am playing video games in my room.

HL2, DKF, Singularity come to mind with modern games that leave you to yourself most of the time.