• 57 results
#1 Edited by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

So this agitates me about them. So first of all I love the fallout series, I love Skyim but there's a thing in Bethesda studios I do not enjoy. They recycle! Now I'm not talking about this.

They reuse faces. Buildings I believe as well. I'm sure some of you can say it's easier to reuse than make a whole new face hear me out first. I played Fallout 3, I enjoyed it. I noticed this right of the bat the kids faces. All the kid had the same faces. Some adults look the same as well. That bugged me! Really! They can't possibly just make another face! Im sure it's basically just making a new skin for the kid. Then adding it in. I'm sure it isn't that hard. Now with the buildings, some are the same, that's fine, I can understand the buildings. Now on to Fallout new Vegas. I played it. Good game. But what did I notice? The same problem! They reused the kids face. I'm sure of it. The characters Also look the same to others. Argh fallout series!

He now has a thumbs down/broken hand thanks to

Now here come skyrim. I started out by killing poor bunnies. Then I decided to go to town. What did I see... That face. That kid's face. Really! They still reused that face! Why! Why do you do that? Has any one else noticed this stuff? It mustn't be that hard to make a new face!

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Their worlds are so massive that not reusing assets would be a huge undertaking.

#3 Posted by Willin (1285 posts) -

You're right. I'm throwing all my Bethesda games in the trash. But not the recycling because I'm not scum.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

I'm not saying the games suck. Like I said I love the games but those faces annoys me.

#5 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I'm not saying the games suck. Like I said I love the games but those faces annoys me.

Bethesda has been known to recycle assets for awhile. I can't say I blame them, though.

#6 Posted by Sin4profit (2999 posts) -

i believe it's called instancing. It's how they fit the entire world of skyrim on a single disk. It's actually pretty technically masterful i think.

#7 Posted by me3639 (1849 posts) -

Yea, Nintendo would never do anything like use the same characters, music, environments, etc. year after year after year after year........

#8 Posted by Karkarov (3266 posts) -

The face is the least offender. The voices are the worst. The dude who was your mentor in the Assassin's guild in Oblivion has been the VA for at least 12-20 other characters between Skyrim and Fallout 3. Some of them were even big in the plot and the dude used the EXACT same voice, he didn't even try to use a different tone or pitch.

#9 Posted by believer258 (12177 posts) -

If this were an uber-linear five hour shooter, I could understand the compaint that every other marine shared faces. But... uh... this a massive world with a ton of people in it. Designing every single one would take an unnecessarily huge amount of time and resources, so this is perfectly excusable.

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@SexyToad said:
So you want them to populate a entire game with near limitless people each with different faces? 
#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3084 posts) -

That doesn't bother me. Could they make more faces for their extraneous characters? Sure, but is it a big enough of a problem to warrant spending extra time on it instead of something else? Probably not. Also, New Vegas wasn't made by Bethesda, so them doing the same thing as in Fallout 3 shows how companies know better than to waste their time on shit that is of little to no importance.

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

The face is the least offender. The voices are the worst. The dude who was your mentor in the Assassin's guild in Oblivion has been the VA for at least 12-20 other characters between Skyrim and Fallout 3. Some of them were even big in the plot and the dude used the EXACT same voice, he didn't even try to use a different tone or pitch.

I will admit that this got annoying, though. Hearing Ahnold every other time I talked to a male Nord got old quick.

#13 Edited by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

I don't mean to have everyone to have a diffrent playce . I just want it so they have at least some other faces. At least 4, come on! Also I mean 4 diffrent faces for the female child's and 4 for the guy kids, so on.

#14 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I don't mean to have everyone to have a diffrent playce . I just want it so they have at least some other faces. At least 4, come on!

I'm pretty sure I saw 5.

#15 Posted by Donkeycow (557 posts) -

And i thought this was going to be a complaint about skyrim being released in those retarded eco cases on the 360. Now that is something you can be legitimately angry about (fucking boxes with holes right where they should be protecting the disc.... guuuuhhhhh....)

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@SexyToad: Working in the graphics industry, I have learned that everybody recycles, even Disney.

#17 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Imagine him with a thumbs down.

There you go! Hooray for bad photoshopping!

I actually love Bethesda, though. I don't really have as big of a problem with them recycling assets as, say, I had a problem with certain recycled environments in DA2.

#18 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

That's right sexiness share your rage with all of us. Just let your anger overwhelm you.

#19 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

/shrug 
After about a thousand hours spent across various Bethesda games, I've gotten used to it.

#20 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

In my game (coming soon to Kickstarter) you go around cutting people's faces off and then recycling them.

#21 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (382 posts) -

I'm going to second the notion that the voices are much, much worse. Why don't they just get Frank Welker, sure it would probably cost insane amounts of money but you don't need to hire the majority of your male voice cast and he can do that voice from that cartoon you watched as a kid.

Great, now I want an elder scrolls/fallout game in which they only hire voice actors who acted in 80s cartoons....

#22 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@falserelic said:

That's right sexiness share your rage with all of us. Just let your anger overwhelm you.

Without the context of knowing how always introduces himself as "the sexiest," that's almost kind of creepy!

Maybe he should file for a username change to RageToad!

To further reiterate my point earlier, though, I don't think the assets they reused were really that severe. It's not like they reused the aircraft carrier from FO3, for example. You have to give them a break considering how huge their worlds typically turn out and how much narrative/lore they like to put in their games.

#23 Posted by cmblasko (1342 posts) -

I hear ya, although it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others. If you have the game for PC, see if you can seek out mods which can alleviate this matter for you.

@Sin4profit said:

i believe it's called instancing. It's how they fit the entire world of skyrim on a single disk. It's actually pretty technically masterful i think.

Pretty much. For example, every human male character has the same "body," or mesh, but instead of keeping a mesh in memory for each human male character that needs to be drawn they instead keep a single instance of the human male mesh in memory and reference it for each human male that needs to be drawn. I don't think the actual instancing is too difficult, at least not as much as managing the resources that need to be in memory in order to be referenced.

#24 Edited by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

^But I am SexyToad the sexiest... That's to the guy above you. I'm on my phone...

#25 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

^But I am SexyToad the sexiest... That's to the guy above you. I'm on my phone...

For some reason when you say that I always find that funny. Especially with the giantbomb pic you have up. It just fits perfectly.

#26 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2104 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@SexyToad said:

Imagine him with a thumbs down.

There you go! Hooray for bad photoshopping!

I actually love Bethesda, though. I don't really have as big of a problem with them recycling assets as, say, I had a problem with certain recycled environments in DA2.

lol, poor guy, someone broke his fingers and bent them backwards. Makes sense why he's not happy.

#27 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Everyone recycles.

#28 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

In my game (coming soon to Kickstarter) you go around cutting people's faces off and then recycling them.

Each time you do it, you quote a line from Face/Off. And have the collectibles be doves.

#29 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@SexyToad: I noticed the recycled faces right off the bat in fallout, didn't in Skyrim though. However if it bothers you then think about this: on your tenth birthday in fallout 3 you can go into 3rd person and see you wear the SAME GODDAMN FACE!!!!!

@believer258: I think hes saying why not use a group of like 4 or 5 faces so they're all different

@Donkeycow said:

And i thought this was going to be a complaint about skyrim being released in those retarded eco cases on the 360. Now that is something you can be legitimately angry about (fucking boxes with holes right where they should be protecting the disc.... guuuuhhhhh....)

I know what you mean i fucking hate that, that's why i like ps3 game cases no Eco cases.

the bioshock 2 case is a good thick well made case (i think).

#30 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

All the characters are generated using the same character creator that the player uses. Naturally, given that there are many, many characters around the world, you might start to see similarities. Beyond the cost of paying people to create those faces, I imagine that those unique facial textures could eat up significant portions of the limited DVD disk space with the high fidelity needed to suffice those close-up shots.

It isn't as simple as: make more faces!

#31 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@SexyToad: I don't hold it against them, but if they were to come up with a way to generate structures the way they used to generate fauna, that'd be ok by me. I'm really looking forward to what they do next generation when hopefully physical media jumps up a lot for games.

@Karkarov said:

Yeah. Thank god for Skyrim they at least gave different VAs different fucking writing. I hated how lazy the in game dialogue writing was in Skyrim. They couldn't bother coming up with another way to say anything that was repeated often.

The faces they probably could change, but not without risking some of the monsters you could create in Oblivion's character creator.

#32 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

Eh the faces bother me too......  But whatever, those games are fun

#33 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

The faces are generated using the same character creator that you use at the beginning of any Bethesda game... So either the faces that are generated through those parameters aren't different enough for you to notice the fact that they're different, or they got a mite lazy and just re-used presets for a bunch of NPCs. Or perhaps they used presets not out of laziness but to save on memory - not disk memory mind you, RAM memory.

But yeah, there are probably only a small handful of kids faces that they use, as making a full system for that would be overkill.

#34 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

With you on this one. It's pretty disappointing sometimes, but I guess that's the way it goes when they put voice acting on every character in a game of it's size. Personally, I'm still fine with reading text.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Thank god for Skyrim they at least gave different VAs different fucking writing. I hated how lazy the in game dialogue writing was in Skyrim. They couldn't bother coming up with another way to say anything that was repeated often.

Anytime I select a response in Skyrim, it always reads like something akin to Bill and Ted for me. The voice acting is passable, I guess (except for the Whiterun court mage... Jesus BALLS that guy is terrible), but the text responses for the player character seem so weirdly contemporary to me. I'm not saying I want Ye Olde English of Yore all over the place, but g'damn. I'm half expecting a "bro" to pop up at any time in the responses. At which point I will fall on my sword.

Whatever, though. Character interaction isn't really the draw of most Bethesda games to begin with. For me, anyway.

#35 Posted by SortedeVaras (111 posts) -

I have murdered so many random people in Fallout and Elder Scrolls that I don't even see their faces anymore. . . except in my nightmares.

#36 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

one thing that i hate about the game is that they reused a lot of voices. i understand that they need a budget and different amount of who can voice.

i forgot what vault it is in fallout 3, but there was one vault where it was a clone. the people were all the same, my friend and i thought it was funny. they kept on saying jerry i think. jerry? o jerry,.

#37 Posted by Fattony12000 (7558 posts) -

They made the best Fallout game since Fallout 1 and 2 and the best Elder Scrolls games since ever. I would expect some recycling to occur over that long a period of huge video games that have things in them. So they're okay in my book.

Would I prefer it if they didn't have to recycle? Of course, but hey ho.

#38 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

If that bothers you then that's fair enough, it sometimes bothers me too, but there are games with far smaller worlds that do the same thing, and with the size of the worlds Bethesda builds not duplicating assets just isn't feasible. I suspect that we'll have to see some sort of major technological advancement in asset generation before this problem really gets fixed.

#39 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

this is exactly like every other bethesda topic.

dude 1 - "here's this thing that is screwed up or doesn't work right or makes no sense"

dude 2 - "it's cool, they tried to make a HUGE game, they don't have to get everything to work right"

i just tried AGAIN yesterday to play skyrim after repeated failures/glitched quests/weirdness.

know what happened? the "speak to gerdur in riverwood" quest glitched out and i can't turn it in. she just stands there with a quest marker over her head and babbles on and on no matter how many times i restart. ITS THE FIRST FREAKING QUEST

#40 Posted by Dunklekuh81 (9 posts) -

@me3639:Who was talking about Nintendo?

#41 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

You're just annoyed that some kid trolled you in multiple games.

#42 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

but you must understand why they re-use assets. you must understand that its all to do with time and budget.

#43 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

If you get Nicholas Cage involved and then get John Woo's support you can just make a Face/Off game. The multiplayer could be like that Spy Party game except you're stealing people's fucking faces to avoid the assassin. Do it!
#44 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Play 'em on PC. Six months after the community gets a hold of the game, you can change everyone to look the way you want. Although I can't guarantee that your machine will be able to handle the hugely diverse, newly remodeled cast. That might be another reason why they recycle assets. I, myself always modify a handful of principle characters and so I never really notice that their reusing templates and models. Anymore than that, and my current PC experiences massive slowdown. I plan to upgrade by the end of the summer.

#45 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Bethesda is far from the only developers who do that trick. 
Some people are smarter and puts everyone in masks, that way they won't have to listen to this type of bs from a ton of people. 

#46 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Personally i understand the faces. What I hate far more is Todd Howard lying during every marketing push pre release of their games, and not even sweating it. At least Peter M. apologizes afterwards and explains that all his BS could not make it into the game, Todd's lies just get swept under the rug.

#47 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

If it bothers you that Bethesda reusses assests in its games, I can't see how you can enjoy any game at all. Every single studio has to reuse assests. It would be tremendously expensive and time consuming (not to mention, rather pointless) to create single and unique environments or characters in such massive worlds.

What I'm trying to say is that this is a stupid non-issue.

#48 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

If it was only Bethesda that recycle...

#49 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Sploder said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

If you get Nicholas Cage involved and then get John Woo's support you can just make a Face/Off game. The multiplayer could be like that Spy Party game except you're stealing people's fucking faces to avoid the assassin. Do it!

John Woo and gaming is not a good mix. Just Sayin.

#50 Edited by Village_Guy (2661 posts) -

This happens everywhere, all the time.

If you were to create new and unique assets for everything, every time you would make a new game or expansion. Then games would take much longer to produce - and be much more expensive too.

EDIT: That isn't what bothers me so much anyway. What really bothers me, is how the random dialog the NPCs have in Skyrim is the exact same lines, even between different voice actors!