Why can't gamers be civil?

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By 617_jbug

As a gamer, I go and visit multiple sites and message boards to read about the latest news and also the comments from gamers. Today Eurogamer posted a rumor about what  their sources are telling them about the Microsoft E3 press conference. The big news was that we should expect 10 non sequel Kinect games that are aimed at the "hardcore" audience. All it took from the report was Kinect to start the never ending battle of motion control gaming and hardcore.

At one side of the argument are the people saying Kinect is trash and Microsoft already lost E3 by mentioning Kinect. On the other side of the argument you have the people who defend Kinect and want to see "hardcore" games for it. Then there are the minority who have no interest in Kinect but willing to see what Microsoft has up it's sleeve when it comes to Kinect games. I side with the minority. I don't own a Kinect and really not sure if I will ever buy one, but I do understand that Microsoft sold close to 10 million Kinects and I'm sure those guys are waiting to play something else other than Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

In reading the comments about the Eurogamer rumor on numerous sites and the longer the threads got the more less civil it got. I'm talking about straight up bashing on other people thoughts when it comes to someone disagreeing to your opinion. I know I'm asking too much but it's alright to disagree on something. You really can't dislike a person if they hate motion controls and vice versa.

At the end of the day this rumor could be false.

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By 617_jbug

As a gamer, I go and visit multiple sites and message boards to read about the latest news and also the comments from gamers. Today Eurogamer posted a rumor about what  their sources are telling them about the Microsoft E3 press conference. The big news was that we should expect 10 non sequel Kinect games that are aimed at the "hardcore" audience. All it took from the report was Kinect to start the never ending battle of motion control gaming and hardcore.

At one side of the argument are the people saying Kinect is trash and Microsoft already lost E3 by mentioning Kinect. On the other side of the argument you have the people who defend Kinect and want to see "hardcore" games for it. Then there are the minority who have no interest in Kinect but willing to see what Microsoft has up it's sleeve when it comes to Kinect games. I side with the minority. I don't own a Kinect and really not sure if I will ever buy one, but I do understand that Microsoft sold close to 10 million Kinects and I'm sure those guys are waiting to play something else other than Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

In reading the comments about the Eurogamer rumor on numerous sites and the longer the threads got the more less civil it got. I'm talking about straight up bashing on other people thoughts when it comes to someone disagreeing to your opinion. I know I'm asking too much but it's alright to disagree on something. You really can't dislike a person if they hate motion controls and vice versa.

At the end of the day this rumor could be false.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I think I'm pretty civil, and for the most parts the GB forums usually are. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

I've been thinking about that too but apparantly it's important for them to feel better than the other person who doesn't share the same opinion.

Happens here too, I could get shot for even hinting to some as obscure as "people do have different opinions on things, live with it" 
Tuddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Tuddlesworth

Not to jive all over you post, but this lack of civility is rampant throughout all message boards, not just the "gamer" forums. While there are people who would like to engage civil discussion, they are drastically outnumbered by insolent mouth-breathers who are looking for a reason to argue.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Malakhii

Because the internet allows for anonymity, and people think this allows them to act like a bunch of assholes. Most of it is probably children, or people who are frustrated in their lives who turn to taking out on the faceless people they encounter online. 

And don't forget the robots. There are plenty of AIs online who are trying to turn humanity against itself, so that when the time comes for the robotic revolution, humanity will fall faster and harder. 
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

Well I do not hate the people  , I hate the companies and their attempt to do like Ninty did , but whateves man :\ lets see if this either put a nail in the coffin for motion controls or makes them stick longer ( I hope for the latter )

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By FourWude

I'm a nice guy. 

Nice guy Eddy they call me.

Eddy's not my name though.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

People can't be civil. It's not just gamers. Go to any non gaming website and read the comments in places. It's revolting everywhere.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wickedsc3

Its just the internet in general.  People can be ass's so they are.  

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By craigbo180

I like to think of myself as quite civilised. 

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jacksmedulla

It's quite simple actually; the anonymity of the internet.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

You should checkout the comments on my hometown newspaper's website. Yikes. Talk about a bunch of inbred hillbillies. Shocking I tell you, shocking.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By danimal_furry

You are commenting on the lack of civility in general over the internet. The internet is a useful tool, but people have a habit of using it as their primary social tool. As such, they can limit their interaction with the public to only conversing with like-minded individuals. This causes a polarizing effect in society on the web, and a general break down in communication. People on the net are faceless, and you don't have to worry who you offend. Also, it is easy to misjudge a comment meant to be in good nature as being offensive. I don't mean really offensive comments. Just comments that need tone to convey the actual meaning. People are physical, ocular, and auditory communicators, and taking away those ques simply breaks the communication between people even more. One misunderstood phrase can lead to an entire explosion of angry responses. Finally, some people are just trolls, be it in reality or on the internet. They simply want to cause trouble and conflict .
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
@617_jbug
Hitler.

Also opinions.

Some guy sees it as shit games for a device he has no interest in, no use in trying to change his mind. No use in defending a "hardcore" motion game when there really hasn't been any evidence for it.

So civility is going to get thrown out the window when everybody is left with speculation, hopes and dreams.

Your hope and dream is some sad little man's despair and fever dream, why bother yourself with trying to persuade a random fucking stranger on something that isn't even announced yet.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JasonR86

Shut Up!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Getz
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
I think I'm pretty civil, and for the most parts the GB forums usually are. 
Yeah, that's cause the mods do their best to keep everyone in line. Threads with lots of mud slinging get locked up pretty quickly
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's an underlying problem with the sociology of the internet. Most people on the internet don't truly conceive that the people they talk to on the internet are real humans because the person isn't there in the flesh to see, and so the traditional instincts of civility break down. What's more those who could never get away with certain kinds of insulting interaction in the real world can use the internet as an outlet for their idiocy. Honestly, it bothers me every time I see it and most of all it bothers me when it happens on a place like Giant Bomb where I feel like we have the collective intelligence and empathy to act civil as a community. It's not a problem that's going to go away any time should but I sure wish it would.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TooSweet

I work with a dude that can be a bit rude online but doesn't know how to shut it off in real life and on occasion gets into really dumb arguments with people. Most  just stare at him like he's mental.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JammyJesus

Because there's very little repercussions for being a dick. 

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kandycane2029

"Greater Internet Dickwad Theory"

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta

no one can handle a difference of opinion

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Simplexity

I think it's more of a Internet thing than a "gamer" thing.

Grayfox34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grayfox34

I've been a part of numerous gaming communities, and Giant Bomb's has certainly been the most civil.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phish09

Simple answer; immaturity. 

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By popmasterruler

We love conflict

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

Fear.   If you look at why people do, stupid things it is usually fear.  Racial slurs, insults, bad behavior, and most other things eventually lead to a root case of fear.  It can even be performance fear.

There was a guy last night in CoD BLOPs got take out as the last kill.  So he says, “Well at least I did better than that dude (that dude being me ---I was at the bottom the leaders board for that round).  Well as a reaction, I just laughed and said, “Yup I suck.” Because I do not care what my scores was I was just playing. 
Well when I laughed my friends laughed too because it was just funny that I did not care.  We were not even laughing at him at this point.  Nevertheless, because we were laughing this guy gets 'butt hurt' & defensive, then he starts screaming that we all suck.

Then the dude leaves.

However, all his friends are still in the room and they are saying, “WTF?  Where’s he go?  What just happend”  So, of course, his friends start laughing too because they do not want to leave because it was the most stable room anyone had all night.  

FEAR.  Fear is even the guy who is winning’s downfall.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Rampant fanboy nonsense would be my best guess. Everyone that was trashing Microsoft after last year's E3 has been left with egg on their faces. After Kinect changed the console race around with the X360 pulling way from the PS3 for good, it seems like MS had the last laugh. Besides, last I checked, Kinect isn't being forced on anyone.  If you like traditional console controller based games, you don't have to worry as they aren't going anywhere.

I hope MS does showcase more Kinect titles.They would be fools not to. Their Kinect demo will only be an improvement over last year's shaky debut.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Spoonybard37

I believe for the most part that the cause of outright bashing one another for having an opinion comes from the anonymity of the internet. You can be a total and complete prick for the most part without a whole lot of consequence, whereas if the conversation were carried out in person the words would be chosen a little more carefully with less hostility behind them.

Then again, some people are just dicks...
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChickenPants

It's just a general internet thing unfortunately. I really do try to stop myself from looking at comments and messageboards at times because I can't imagine that subjecting myself to all this bile is good for my better nature. Giant Bomb tends to be on the better end of the spectrum but is by no means perfect.

Just been playing League of Legends recently. Great game. Disgraceful community.

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By waitwhat

op is a fag.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By XenoNick

I like to think I'm civil gamer. I don't go all fanboy-ish in defending the stuff I like...I love FF7 and always have people tell me its shit and all that but if they have a decent argument i'll take it on board, otherwise I just don't pay attention.

And if any of you disagree......WELL FUCK YOU! *I kid I kid*

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Jimbo
@crusader8463 said:
People can't be civil. It's not just gamers. Go to any non gaming website and read the comments in places. It's revolting everywhere.
You're revolting everywhere.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By animateria

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Because you're a pu$$y n00b and i'm gonna pWn you bitch

I'm sorry, i thought i was on a Youtube video of an online shooter.
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because you're wrong and I'm always right and you have to be reminded of this constantly so I can inflate my sense of self worth

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By TehFlan

People are just jerks.

rustedfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rustedfaith

I'm a civil gamer. I think it doesn't help our community's image, if we fight amongst ourselves. I'm all for debating and even arguing your case, but when it descends into blatant name calling it's lost. And if flaming and trolling is your cup of tea, fair enough but as I said doesn't help our image. We want games to be taken as an important medium like film and now like comics. Innovate and generate new ideas. Instead when we bicker amongst ourselves, you are just providing ammo for the media to print next 'Violent Video Games are making my kids dumb criminals' bollocks. So yeah trash talk is good if there is a sense of respect for the other person. And lets aim for 'New video game has won Nobel peace prize ' or something.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fallen189

Because being a massive twat is fun when there's no repurcussions

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By blueaniman93

I don't think it is just gamers. It is generally anyone on the internet.

Giant Bomb doesn't seem so bad though.
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CodyMetro

It's interesting from a scientific point of view. Since a person knows that they have no fear of being harmed, they will say whatever is on their minds and break civility. But if it were in person then more than likely they wouldn't say the things they do on the internet in fear of being harmed. It goes to show you what people are capable of when you give them anonymity and no rules. The internet is really the prime example of how human beings would truly behave like if they had no rules and anonymity. We are pretty much animals after all. "Civil" animals, but animals non-the-less with animal instincts still within us.

WaylonJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By WaylonJennings
@billnyethesciencepie said:
racial epithet
I agree
RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RudeJohn
@Fallen189 said:
Because being a massive twat is fun when there's no repurcussions
Well, I was going to say being a massive dick is fun, but to each his own.

PS: Whiney bitches get stitches.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Because Anonymity creates Dickitude. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Brendan

I don't think the real problem is trolls, as some people might think, because they tend to get shut down pretty quickly.  It really comes down to knee jerk emotional posts that cause a lot of posters to slip in small insults or inflammatory words into their otherwise perfectly acceptable arguments.  Everyone knows what I'm talking about  because almost everyone has done it (including me!).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Milkman

Because most of them are children.